• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Dabura

Lines Thread

Rate this topic

And let the excuses begin...

"The Detroit Red Wings, following two injury-riddled seasons, have been fairly healthy - until last week.

First, they lost forwards Johan Franzen (possible concussion) and Tomas Jurco (back). Now it appears goaltender Jimmy Howard will be out a while due to a groin injury. They were already missing goalie Jonas Gustavsson (shoulder) and defenseman Jakub Kindl (sprained elbow)."

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2015/01/5_things_to_watch_red_wings_in.html

All the more reason for a trade.

Although, the #1 piece I want moved in a trade is currently injured... so I dunno how that helps us at all.

*sadface*

Edited by e_prime

"The Detroit Red Wings, following two injury-riddled seasons, have been fairly healthy - until last week.

First, they lost forwards Johan Franzen (possible concussion) and Tomas Jurco (back). Now it appears goaltender Jimmy Howard will be out a while due to a groin injury. They were already missing goalie Jonas Gustavsson (shoulder) and defenseman Jakub Kindl (sprained elbow)."

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2015/01/5_things_to_watch_red_wings_in.html

I'm sure they are coming, but there's no reason for excuses. It's not like last season where Z and Pavel were gone. Besides Howard, none of those players are major losses at this point. Monster obviously becomes more important without Jimmy yet the Wings should be able to withstand the other injuries. I love Jurco, but he hasn't really provided much offensively and Franzen/Kindl could never come back and no one would notice.

All the more reason for a trade.

Although, the #1 piece I want moved in a trade is currently injured... so I dunno how that helps us at all.

*sadface*

I think Holland definitely makes a trade if we're playing like we did in November when we looked like a contender. But even with a healthy team, since then we've looked inconsistent. When we win it's not convincing, and when we lose it looks like garbage. In the past Holland has made trades to "get over the hump". Not to "get up to the hump". If we don't start stringing together wins, and doing so convincingly, then I don't see him shipping out talent for playoff rentals.

I'm sure they are coming, but there's no reason for excuses. It's not like last season where Z and Pavel were gone. Besides Howard, none of those players are major losses at this point. Monster obviously becomes more important without Jimmy yet the Wings should be able to withstand the other injuries. I love Jurco, but he hasn't really provided much offensively and Franzen/Kindl could never come back and no one would notice.

I agree. That was my point. After the last couple season you knew that as soon as a couple people got hurt it was going to be..."here we go again". It's b.s., but here it is.

I know this isn't going to be popular with anyone except for krsmith, but I'd actually try Smith up with Kronwall. If it blows up, switch it back. Isn't the definition of insanity trying the same thing over and over and expecting a different result? Kronwall-Ericsson isn't working - they've got 6 even strength points together, and they're not exactly a defensive stalwart. I think throwing Smith up there might actually generate some offense, and perhaps showcase him for a trade (krsmith won't like this part).

Ericsson just can't seem to keep it together this year. I like the idea of balancing pairs, regardless of where they're supposed to fit, (Top 4 vs. Top 6, etc.) but Ericsson hasn't brought much balance to the pair up to this point. Honestly, I would try DeKeyser up there with Kronwall as well, but I think trying this first kind of gauges where Smith is at, and also leaves our strongest pair together (for now).

When Smith and Kronwall were paired last season they seemed to click well together. I'd be fine with it. I also like the balanced pairs idea, if it is done wisely. If you are going offensively minded with a stay at home pair, I don't think Kindl/Lashoff is a good idea unless it is in very sheltered minutes, and that is pushing it. ;)

How's about this for lines (when people are healthy):

Tats-Datsyuk-Abby

Z-Weiss-Franzen

Nyquist-Sheahan-Jurco/Helm

Miller-Glendening-Jurco/Helm

What did Henrik Zetterberg do to deserve that? Honestly though, I like those with the exception that I think Gus and Z should play together, like Tatar and Pav should. I don't know what to do with either Weiss or Franzen at this point -- one probably deserves a shot at a larger role and the other really just doesn't fit anywhere.

What did Henrik Zetterberg do to deserve that? Honestly though, I like those with the exception that I think Gus and Z should play together, like Tatar and Pav should. I don't know what to do with either Weiss or Franzen at this point -- one probably deserves a shot at a larger role and the other really just doesn't fit anywhere.

I agree. Honestly I think both could be traded without too much harm done to the team, but I don't see it happening.

With regard to Nyquist, while I agree that he's good with Zetterberg, I don't think he's been very good at all lately. Teams are checking him tight and not giving him any room to make plays. I think he'd benefit from the mismatch on the third line. Plus, it's not like Franzen and Z don't play well together. They have for years. And I'm convinced that Weiss will flourish if moved back to center. He sees the ice really well, is a strong passer, and can makes plays quickly. Put him with a couple of proven guys and I think the line will (collectively) do some damage.

How's about this for lines (when people are healthy):

Tats-Datsyuk-Abby

Z-Weiss-Franzen

Nyquist-Sheahan-Jurco/Helm

Miller-Glendening-Jurco/Helm

These are essentially my ideal lines. Maybe once Jurco develops his offensive game try switching him with Abby too. I love the way Abby has played lately and he's really found a good role but I still don't see him as a permanent top 6er.

IF and a HUGE IF.... Franzen can get the go ahead to play come playoff time... Holy Depth!

Helm - Datysuk - Tatar

Abdelkader - Zetterberg - Cole

Franzen - Sheahan - Nyquist

Miller - Glendening - Weiss/Jurco/Andersson

Uh... check please lol

Never thought I'd see the day where the LGW's community would be pushing for lines that included Helm and Abby in the top 6.

Edit: If Franzen is in a motivated, puck retrieving mood you can swap him and Helm. When he is on his game he's as much a game changer as anyone on this team.

Edited by UpstateNYRedWingsFan

I may get blasted for this but wouldn't it be interesting when we are healthy to spread the scoring to the fourth line and have someone like Sheahan or Tatar there who can do some scoring himself but is also defensively responsible. It would keep other teams in their toes and maybe allow us to take advantage of matchups

I may get blasted for this but wouldn't it be interesting when we are healthy to spread the scoring to the fourth line and have someone like Sheahan or Tatar there who can do some scoring himself but is also defensively responsible. It would keep other teams in their toes and maybe allow us to take advantage of matchups

I don't see Tatar as a 4th liner. I do think his 2-way game is solid as he plays well in his own zone too.

No. Playing talented players on the 4th line reduces their value. They never score enough with limited minutes and poor linemates. That's why I've always advocated putting tough guys and grinders on the 4th line. They're more effective in that spot than a Tatar would be.

Tatar - Datsyuk - Helm

Cole - Zetterberg - Abdelkader

Jurco - Weiss - Pulkkinen

Would mean some PK responsibility for Pav and Hank, but 4 scoring lines is not entirely unrealistic.

Tatar - Datsyuk - Helm

Cole - Zetterberg - Abdelkader

Jurco - Weiss - Pulkkinen

Would mean some PK responsibility for Pav and Hank, but 4 scoring lines is not entirely unrealistic.

Please read above post.

Could you come up with a softer 4th line that will be more useless in the playoffs? I'd rather have John Scott playing on the 4th line than Pulkinnen, who needs more icetime to be more productive.

Also, why are people fascinated with putting Helm and Abby on the top 6, when their skill level is inferior to the guys on the lower lines?

Please read above post.

Could you come up with a softer 4th line that will be more useless in the playoffs? I'd rather have John Scott playing on the 4th line than Pulkinnen, who needs more icetime to be more productive.

Also, why are people fascinated with putting Helm and Abby on the top 6, when their skill level is inferior to the guys on the lower lines?

I'm not saying as a low minute fourth liner but they are teams that have been able to play four lines with almost equal playing time

I'm not saying as a low minute fourth liner but they are teams that have been able to play four lines with almost equal playing time

That's very hard to do. I tried doing that in video games, and even then, my 4th liners wouldn't play any more than 10 minutes a night, unless there was a glitch where they just wouldn't change lines.

Please read above post.

Not defending his line choices, but I wouldn't let John Scott touch any decent NHL line.

That's very hard to do. I tried doing that in video games, and even then, my 4th liners wouldn't play any more than 10 minutes a night, unless there was a glitch where they just wouldn't change lines.

I'm assuming this is a bad joke, no?

Not defending his line choices, but I wouldn't let John Scott touch any decent NHL line.

I'm assuming this is a bad joke, no?

You know what they say about old dogs and new tricks.