• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Dabura

Lines Thread

Rate this topic

Right now this is all just speculation. Just because Cleary has a contract, it doesn't necessarily mean that he's going to make the team. He may show up to camp, and look horrible compared to the kids. Right now, we just don't know. Or, he may show up to camp and blow everyone away. Either way its good for the Wings (so long as if he's horrible, they send him down or release him).

Personally I think Jurco has proven enough to warrant NHL playing time, but management might feel different.

Right now this is all just speculation. Just because Cleary has a contract, it doesn't necessarily mean that he's going to make the team. He may show up to camp, and look horrible compared to the kids. Right now, we just don't know. Or, he may show up to camp and blow everyone away. Either way its good for the Wings (so long as if he's horrible, they send him down or release him).

Personally I think Jurco has proven enough to warrant NHL playing time, but management might feel different.

The contract that Cleary signed includes a bonus if he plays ten games with the Wings. Because this whole contract renewal thing has to do with honoring Holland's word that the Wings will take care of Cleary this year, a lot of us suspect that Cleary will get 10 games with the Wings (unless he's absolutely terrible or injured). In those 10 games the organization can determine whether Cleary will be an asset to the team for the remainder of the season, and Cleary gets the money he left on the table last year. My prediction is he plays 10 games and that's the last we see of him.

I miss having someone like this in the lineup...

Here's hoping Glendening and/or Callahan can develop into an impact hitter.

Couldn't agree more. I really miss that too. Shame that Fischer got injured too nearly died and had to retire, we could have used that toughness on the back end. Glad to see that he's doing good though.

The contract that Cleary signed includes a bonus if he plays ten games with the Wings. Because this whole contract renewal thing has to do with honoring Holland's word that the Wings will take care of Cleary this year, a lot of us suspect that Cleary will get 10 games with the Wings (unless he's absolutely terrible or injured). In those 10 games the organization can determine whether Cleary will be an asset to the team for the remainder of the season, and Cleary gets the money he left on the table last year. My prediction is he plays 10 games and that's the last we see of him.

And yea, I wouldn't be surprised if he gets 10 games, but if he's truly being outplayed in training camp by the likes of Jurco and Pulkkinen, I can't believe the Wings would play him?

Edited by wings4thecup06

I've posted a lineup similar to this before but I would like to see something like this on opening night (October 9th) against Boston...

Zetterberg - Datsyuk - Alfredsson

Nyquist - Franzen - Tatar

Helm - Weiss - Abdelkader

Miller - Sheahan - Callahan

Cleary - Glendening

Kronwall - Ericsson

DeKeyser - Smith

Quincey - Ouellet (more likely Kindl...)

Lashoff

I really think that this top line would dominate. The skill across that line would match any line in the league in my opinion. The key for them would be for all three to stay healthy. I really believe that Hank will play at least 70-75 games this season and Datsyuk will play somewhere close to that as well. My only concern is Alfredsson. I hope he takes it easy and doesn't push himself too hard, especially to start the season. I think he can play somewhere around 65-70 if he is careful and listens to his body and takes a lot of "maintenance days"...

I would love to see this two kids and a Mule line as our second line. Franzen plays his best hockey when he is playing center. He is third on the team in faceoff percentage going into this season (behind Datsyuk and Zetterberg), based on last years stats of players that took at least 100 faceoffs. 225 faceoffs taken at 52.9%. I really think the two kids (Gus & Tats) would keep him energized. I've always thought that Franzen starts his floating ways when he plays on a line with Pav or Hank. It's almost like he feels that he doesn't need to work as hard with them because he knows the puck will find him and he will still produce, even at half pace. Maybe playing with the two kids, he will take on more of a leadership role and that, along with playing down the middle will light a much needed fire under his ass...

I think third line minutes is best for Weiss to start the season. Maybe promote him after 10 or so games if he looks good and hungry or if the lines aren't working out or if coach Babs just want to mix things up for some unexplainable reason... I kinda want to switch Abdelkader and Sheahan but I think Abby is better suited for the wing. With Helm's health concerns over the past few seasons I think third line wing is a great spot for him to play and hopefully stay relatively healthy. His wheels could really be put on display on the wing as well.

I think this could be a great forth line and I absolutely love the grit that Callahan would bring to the line. I would like to see Cleary rotated in to get his ten games in on this line or possibly the third line depending on how he looks in training camp. I do like Glendening but I just don't see where he fits on this team going forward...

I've posted a lineup similar to this before but I would like to see something like this on opening night (October 9th) against Boston...

Zetterberg - Datsyuk - Alfredsson

Nyquist - Franzen - Tatar

Helm - Weiss - Abdelkader

Miller - Sheahan - Callahan

Cleary - Glendening

Kronwall - Ericsson

DeKeyser - Smith

Quincey - Ouellet (more likely Kindl...)

Lashoff

I really think that this top line would dominate. The skill across that line would match any line in the league in my opinion. The key for them would be for all three to stay healthy. I really believe that Hank will play at least 70-75 games this season and Datsyuk will play somewhere close to that as well. My only concern is Alfredsson. I hope he takes it easy and doesn't push himself too hard, especially to start the season. I think he can play somewhere around 65-70 if he is careful and listens to his body and takes a lot of "maintenance days"...

I would love to see this two kids and a Mule line as our second line. Franzen plays his best hockey when he is playing center. He is third on the team in faceoff percentage going into this season (behind Datsyuk and Zetterberg), based on last years stats of players that took at least 100 faceoffs. 225 faceoffs taken at 52.9%. I really think the two kids (Gus & Tats) would keep him energized. I've always thought that Franzen starts his floating ways when he plays on a line with Pav or Hank. It's almost like he feels that he doesn't need to work as hard with them because he knows the puck will find him and he will still produce, even at half pace. Maybe playing with the two kids, he will take on more of a leadership role and that, along with playing down the middle will light a much needed fire under his ass...

I think third line minutes is best for Weiss to start the season. Maybe promote him after 10 or so games if he looks good and hungry or if the lines aren't working out or if coach Babs just want to mix things up for some unexplainable reason... I kinda want to switch Abdelkader and Sheahan but I think Abby is better suited for the wing. With Helm's health concerns over the past few seasons I think third line wing is a great spot for him to play and hopefully stay relatively healthy. His wheels could really be put on display on the wing as well.

I think this could be a great forth line and I absolutely love the grit that Callahan would bring to the line. I would like to see Cleary rotated in to get his ten games in on this line or possibly the third line depending on how he looks in training camp. I do like Glendening but I just don't see where he fits on this team going forward...

Love that lineup, would rather have Jurco up here though but it probably won't happen. If he was this is what I would want to see.

Zetterberg - Datsyuk - Jurco

Nyquist - Franzen - Alfie

Tatar - Weiss - Sheahan

Miller - Helm - Abby

thinking of lines, I kind of forgot that we had franzen for a second....

I'd still like to see 3 scoring lines.

z-d-jurco

nyq-weiss-alfie

mule-sheahan-tatar

miller-helm-abby

love the amount of forward depth the wings have.

Guest DeGraa55

thinking of lines, I kind of forgot that we had franzen for a second....

I'd still like to see 3 scoring lines.

z-d-jurco

nyq-weiss-alfie

mule-sheahan-tatar

miller-helm-abby

love the amount of forward depth the wings have.

Ya only need a top 6 winger or two(with size would be perfect!)

Love that lineup, would rather have Jurco up here though but it probably won't happen. If he was this is what I would want to see.

Zetterberg - Datsyuk - Jurco

Nyquist - Franzen - Alfie

Tatar - Weiss - Sheahan

Miller - Helm - Abby

Hmm, that's not bad, although I'd have to say, a bit of a waste having Sheahan at wing. He was good on draws and plays an excellent two way game, which is far more important at C than it is at wing. Plus, he;s got good size.

Hmm, that's not bad, although I'd have to say, a bit of a waste having Sheahan at wing. He was good on draws and plays an excellent two way game, which is far more important at C than it is at wing. Plus, he;s got good size.

Am I the only one that doesn't think Jurco is ready for a top line role yet? I get that he's a better option than Abby but I think he's still not quite ready for that role.

Z-Pav-Gus

Jurco-franzen-tats

Alfie-sheahan-weiss

Abby-helm-miller

Am I the only one that doesn't think Jurco is ready for a top line role yet? I get that he's a better option than Abby but I think he's still not quite ready for that role.

Z-Pav-Gus

Jurco-franzen-tats

Alfie-sheahan-weiss

Abby-helm-miller

On the team and re-united with Sheahan and Tatar for 3rd line duty? Yes. Top line stuff? Probably not right now if you ask me.

Get his confidence built up by having a full NHL season against non-top line opposition first, and then start promoting him.

On the team and re-united with Sheahan and Tatar for 3rd line duty? Yes. Top line stuff? Probably not right now if you ask me.

Get his confidence built up by having a full NHL season against non-top line opposition first, and then start promoting him.

I agree completely. It juat seems like everyone here sees "big" and "hands" and wants him wih pav immediately.

I want nothing to do with a Zetterberg, Datsyuk, and Alfie (or Nyquist) top line. It should be wildly clear over the last five or six post seasons that we don't have anyone scoring down low. Giving another perimeter guy top line minutes is a recipe for failure. I'd rather lose a little bit of offense but change the dynamic of our attack than keep throwing the same one dimensional attack at teams over and over and over. Jurco showed a willingness to use his body to protect the puck, was strong in the corners, and had no problem creating offense in traffic. Plus, despite rookie linemates, limited minutes, and no powerplay time, his offensive number projected very favorably to Alfie's over a full season (and should only increase with D and Z).

As such...

Z-Dats-Jurco

Nyquist-Weiss-Franzen

Tatar-Sheahan-Abby

Miller-Helm-Glendening/Callahan/Cleary

So to understand better posters on here don't mind if Abby plays with D and Z, yet Jurco isn't ready somehow. Jurco plays bigger then Abby and has way more skill.....

Abby put up 30 points last year in 70+ games while playing with two of the best players.

Jurco put up 15 points in 36 games while playing 3rd line minutes.

Yea something doesn't make sense.

Edited by darkmanx

I'm not okay with Abby there either. He's a 4th liner, 3rd at best. But no, Jurco isn't ready. And yes, Jurco put up a 34 point pace against much lesser competition vs abbys 33 point pace against top line competition. CLEARLY this means Jurco should be there. What was I thinking? Excuse my ignorance.

And Kip, did you watch the last few games before the olympic break when Gus and Z played together? The chemistry and puck movement was insane. Z and pav like. So why not have two extremely dunamic duos on the ice at the same time? We wouldn't need to grind it out much because we'd always have the puck.

If you want to change the dynamic of the attack, you don't do that by putting one guy thats going to go to the net on each line. You put two on one line. Franzen and Jurco can both play down low. Put them together. Putting Jurco on the top line now could actually kill that line (not to mention the kids confidence) just as much as abby has.

I have no problem with Z, Dats and Gus. Like Nawein said, Z and Gus had great chemistry before the Olympics.

Placing Jurco on the top line right now isn't what's needed. He needs to grow his offensive game at the NHL level and learn how to score and be physical consistently, so that when he gets his top line minutes chance, he can do the job. Learning the power forwards role against top line opponents when you're a rookie isn't easy. If Abby had better hands, he'd be perfect.

Can we bring back Shanny?

I'm not okay with Abby there either. He's a 4th liner, 3rd at best. But no, Jurco isn't ready. And yes, Jurco put up a 34 point pace against much lesser competition vs abbys 33 point pace against top line competition. CLEARLY this means Jurco should be there. What was I thinking? Excuse my ignorance.

And Kip, did you watch the last few games before the olympic break when Gus and Z played together? The chemistry and puck movement was insane. Z and pav like. So why not have two extremely dunamic duos on the ice at the same time? We wouldn't need to grind it out much because we'd always have the puck.

If you want to change the dynamic of the attack, you don't do that by putting one guy thats going to go to the net on each line. You put two on one line. Franzen and Jurco can both play down low. Put them together. Putting Jurco on the top line now could actually kill that line (not to mention the kids confidence) just as much as abby has.

yup yup yup.

Nyquist NEEDS to continue to play with Zberg. For chemistrys sakes, and Nyquist's future.

Jurco should be playing in GR or on the third line during injuries.

I won't be able to find it, but there was a stat a few years back showing that Pav and Z actually score more when they're apart. Don't know if that's still the case, but I like Zberg as 2nd line center, especially if Weiss continues riding the struggle bus.

Franzen - Datsyuk - Alfredsson

Nyquist - Zetterberg - Tatar

Sheahan - Weiss - Jurco/Abdelkader

Miller - Helm - Cleary - Andersson - Glendening - Ferraro - Callahan

I know a lot of people like Sheahan at C, but he's a natural LW

Or

Zetterberg - Datsyuk - Nyquist

Franzen - Weiss - Alfredsson

Sheahan - Helm - Tatar/Jurco

Miller - Glendening - Abdelkader - Cleary - Andersson - Ferraro - Callahan

:lol: Abby doesn't have half the skill Jurco does, he gets goals by having pucks bounce off him. Jurco would be fine on the top line.

You think Nyquist on the top line is a good idea, I think it's as dumb as you thinking Jurco shouldn't be there.

Not big on the idea of Zetterberg - Datsyuk - Nyquist. I really want a big body on that right wing. Jurco could use a little more time in the AHL, but if he's playing with Z and D, and his main job is to go to the net? I'd say he's ready for that.

I don't think I want Alfredsson in the top six. He could be a matchup advantage on the third line. Maybe the third line doesn't have to be quite so sheltered with him on it.

Sheahan's best suited for center, IMHO. At the very least, he gives us a big body at center, something we're otherwise sorely lacking.

Also, I like Helm on the fourth line because he's one of our best defensive forwards, and I like having three scoring lines and a fourth line that can go up against anyone.

Zetterberg Datsyuk Jurco

Franzen Weiss Nyquist

Tatar Sheahan Alfredsson

Miller Helm Abdelkader

FTW.

I wasn't really sure where to put this but this place seems as good as anywhere...

Expect Dan Cleary to don his third different number for #RedWings upcoming season. The veteran has ditched 71, flipping the digits to 17.

I know a lot of people will say they wish he wasn't going to don any Red Wings jersey this upcoming season but I still love Danny and I hope he has a solid season. And I for one, couldn't stand seeing that 71 on the ice, I think he will look great with number 17 on his back.

I wasn't really sure where to put this but this place seems as good as anywhere...

Expect Dan Cleary to don his third different number for #RedWings upcoming season. The veteran has ditched 71, flipping the digits to 17.

I know a lot of people will say they wish he wasn't going to don any Red Wings jersey this upcoming season but I still love Danny and I hope he has a solid season. And I for one, couldn't stand seeing that 71 on the ice, I think he will look great with number 17 on his back.

Maybe it will bring him a little more luck than 71