• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Dabura

Lines Thread

Rate this topic

Ah, sorry, didn't see that dregerface had already posted it.

I think the problem with swapping Franzen and Matha to send a message - and, mind you, I say this knowing you were basically joking - is that the big knock against Mantha has been his "compete level" (as Babs would put it). Essetially the same problem Franzen has: being consistently competitive, intense, invested, engaged on the ice. Fortunately, Mantha seems to be very aware of this shortcoming and seems dedicated to fixing it. Whereas Franzen.........

How is playing on what's going to be the 2nd line on Team Lindsay mean that he's done something to piss Babs off?

Edit: Full roster/pairings here http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/3203965/Camp_Lines.jpg

As you can see, there's only 1 training camp team that has two current NHL roster centers in their line-up, being Team Howe w/ Weiss & Emmerton centering the top two lines.

I take that back now that I see the full camp roster. I forgot how training camp works, my bad

How is playing on what's going to be the 2nd line on Team Lindsay mean that he's done something to piss Babs off?

Edit: Full roster/pairings here http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/3203965/Camp_Lines.jpg

As you can see, there's only 1 training camp team that has two current NHL roster centers in their line-up, being Team Howe w/ Weiss & Emmerton centering the top two lines.

i think the thing that is still worrysome is the line tatar is on would not be one of the top 4 lines. obviously camp can be a fluid situation and things may be totally different tomorrow. but seeing where player are slotting in shows which players they project on which lines. so as it stands they are trying bert on the 3rd lin with the 2 kids and then the emmerton line would be the 4th line. then that leaves tatar on a line with a couple guys that most likely arent with the big club this year. so he isn't getting the chance to develop as much chemistry with the roster guys, isn't getting a chance to show what he can do with nhl caliber linemantes, etc.

its obviously not the end of the world or really even a big deal. its just not putting tatar in a position to succeed. i would have hoped that his play in the ahl playoffs would have earned him that.

i think the thing that is still worrysome is the line tatar is on would not be one of the top 4 lines. obviously camp can be a fluid situation and things may be totally different tomorrow. but seeing where player are slotting in shows which players they project on which lines. so as it stands they are trying bert on the 3rd lin with the 2 kids and then the emmerton line would be the 4th line. then that leaves tatar on a line with a couple guys that most likely arent with the big club this year. so he isn't getting the chance to develop as much chemistry with the roster guys, isn't getting a chance to show what he can do with nhl caliber linemantes, etc.

its obviously not the end of the world or really even a big deal. its just not putting tatar in a position to succeed. i would have hoped that his play in the ahl playoffs would have earned him that.

I'm calling it right now. The most impressive, hardest working line in camp will end up being Jurco-Sheahan-Tatar if they stay together for the majority.

What I initially wanted:

Z - Datsyuk - Alfredsson

Nyquist - Weiss - Franzen

Abdelkader - Helm - Tatar

Miller - Andersson - Bertuzzi/Eaves

Expectation with Cleary:

Z - Datsyuk - Abdelkader

Franzen - Weiss - Alfredsson

Cleary - Andersson - Bertuzzi :paperbag3:

Miller - Emmerton - probably Samuelsson at this rate

Probably a 3rd line of Cleary-Andy-Bert more than likely.

Haha yea I was kidding.. lines all depend on what happens in the next three weeks, both roster move& injury wise. So I won't speculate too much until more happens but,I wouldn't be surprised if that were our third line to start the year. *fingers crossed* it's nyq-andy-tatar somehow tho

What I initially wanted:

Z - Datsyuk - Alfredsson

Expectation with Cleary:

Z - Datsyuk - Abdelkader

We "Now" like our team!

Guest DeGraa55

What I initially wanted:

Z - Datsyuk - Alfredsson

Expectation with Cleary:

Z - Datsyuk - Abdelkader

And this right here is what's wrong with our off season. Where is Nyquist and Tatar?

That's why I don't understand Hollands moves and he is running g out of time to make a trade. This team projected here is worse than last years.

And this right here is what's wrong with our off season. Where is Nyquist and Tatar?

That's why I don't understand Hollands moves and he is running g out of time to make a trade. This team projected here is worse than last years.

IF (big if) Nyq isn't on the team day 1 he will be day 2 when someone is injured. Wings have been very injury prone the last couple of years, why is everyone assuming every player will be 100% this year? I'm definitely worried about Tatar, but I'm hoping he kicks ass during camp. Even if he doesn't I'm sure Holland will look at every possible solution that doesn't involve letting him go.

I'm definitely worried about Tatar, but I'm hoping he kicks ass during camp. Even if he doesn't I'm sure Holland will look at every possible solution that doesn't involve letting him go.

Wasn't sold on Tatar earlier,but he answered the critics from Babs for not engage every shift during the Calder Cup run.He's a bit cocky kid,but wasn't Cleary the same during his early years :lol:

Wasn't sold on Tatar earlier,but he answered the critics from Babs for not engage every shift during the Calder Cup run.He's a bit cocky kid,but wasn't Cleary the same during his early years :lol:

with that logic, we should have tatar locked up through 2031!! :yahoo:

....you know, long after we're sick of him.

Edited by amato

No I didn't look through all the post to see if it was posted yet but found this from training camp. Very interesting what is said about Franzen.

she discusses the status of one Gustav Nyquist:

The Wings open training camp today in Traverse City, and the early third line has Gustav Nyquist paired with Joakim Andersson, and veteran Todd Bertuzzi on the right side. Putting Nyquist with Andersson makes sense: The two have terrific chemistry, nurtured during their time together in the minors. They, along with former Wing Damien Brunner, made a formidable follow up to the lines centered by Pavel Datsyuk and Henrik Zetterberg.

Nyquist, 24, is the only one of the 16 forwards currently on the roster who can be sent to the minors without waivers, but this is an unlikely scenario because Nyquist is way too skilled to be victimized by numbers. Not this season. He helped out with five points in 14 playoff games after seeing action in 22 regular-season games.

He comes to camp determined to start and stay in Detroit.

“I’m going to do my best, that’s what I’m planning to do to earn a spot,” Nyquist said. “I’ll have to make it even a harder decision for him, show him what I’ve got.”

The “him” is coach Mike Babcock, who was sold on Nyquist’s readiness two years ago. Nyquist is all finesse, capable of moves that baffle opponents, while Andersson brings the defensive element to the line. Bertuzzi is making a comeback after missing much of last season with a sore back, and if healthy will add a soft pair of hands, strong stride and a big body.

“It’s going to be a fun camp,” Nyquist said. “It’s going to be high-tempo out there, we’ve got a couple too many forwards, so I think we’re all excited.”

The Macomb Daily's Chuck Pleiness took note of the fact that this September's routine is very...different...for Daniel Alfredsson...

“I’ve been around a long time,” Alfredsson said after taking his physical on Wednesday prior to the opening of training camp. “It’s still exciting, but it’s obviously a big change for me coming here.”

Alfredsson, 40, signed a one-year worth $3.5 million on the first day of free agency, leaving Ottawa where he had spent his entire 17-year career prior.

“It’s a situation where you got to prove yourself again,” Alfredsson said. “In Ottawa I knew where I was at all times pretty much. I feel like I’ve got to put my best foot forward again. I don’t think it’s that much different. If I had been in Ottawa it would have been the same thing, when you work, you put 100 percent effort into it, no matter where you are.”

Alfredsson had been the league’s longest serving captain until the move.

“It’s a great situation we’re up here for a week, no distractions, just hang out and get to know all the guys and get to know them on and off the ice,” said Alfredsson, who could also earn $2 million in bonuses this season. “Hockey locker rooms are pretty much the same everywhere you go in the world. I know a lot of the Swedish guys, I know a couple of the other guys from before. It’s different, but it’s not that different. It’s going to be exciting. This is a great hockey market, which is fantastic. They really care about the team, very supportive. It’s going to be fun to start.”

Alfredsson will be the eighth Swede in Detroit’s locker room joining Henrik Zetterberg, Niklas Kronwall, Jonathan Ericsson, Johan Franzen, Mikael Samuelsson, Gustav Nyquist and Jonas Gustavsson.

“I’ve been very welcomed here, from staff to people around town and the players as well,” said Alfredsson, who had been skating informally in Detroit with teammates for the last two weeks. “It’s going to be fun to sort out who’s going to play with whom and for myself, where I fit in. It’s going to be fun.”

MLive's Ansar Khan answered some camp-and-season-pertinent questions, too:

Q. What are the plans, if any, to bolster our young D corps with an NHL-caliber top-two D-man? With this being a year of too many forwards and a year to push hard to get a Stanley Cup in (Daniel Alfredsson's) hands, it seems to make sense that we need a top-two D-man. What happens if Kronwall gets injured again? We will be stuck with Ericsson and Quincey as the top pairing? No thanks! Can we expect a trade for a top D-man before the trade deadline or hopefully sooner (preseason please)?

--Michael

A.
They were seeking a top-three defenseman in the off-season, even made a pitch for Vancouver's Alexander Edler, who wasn't traded. But nothing materialized.

It wasn't their highest priority because they like the top six they have. It is difficult to trade for a top-pair defenseman early in the season because they're so valuable. Plus, the Red Wings would need to dump salary to acquire anyone, and we've seen how difficult that can be.

But some players are sure to become available later in the season, and I expect the Red Wings to be in the market for a top-three defenseman before the March 5 trade deadline.

Quincey is an unrestricted free agent after this season and I have feeling he won't re-sign. That's another reason the Red Wings will look to acquire a defenseman. They could dangle a couple of forward prospects, since they have a surplus. They'll also need to create some cap room, which is easier to do later in the season because contracts are prorated.

Q. Are (general manager) Ken Holland and (coach) Mike Babcock happy with what they are getting out of (Johan) Franzen or will they start to think about looking for a trading partner if he can't find a consistent game? They probably won't be able to replace his production for that low of a cap hit but a top-two D-man should be attainable in a trade with him involved.

--Chris

A.
I don't think anyone in the front office is satisfied with what they're getting from Franzen. I'm sure they feel he is not meeting his potential and has more to give. He's been too inconsistent and disappears for long stretches.

But he still manages to find a way to score 27-to-30 goals (his 14 goals last season projected to 28 in a full season). He's big, has good hands and a tremendous wrist shot. Like you said, they realize they can't replace his production for his $3.95 million salary-cap hit.

Offense is a bigger concern than defense for this team. So I don't see them shopping Franzen for a defenseman

Zetterberg-Dats-Abby/Bert

Alfie-Weiss-Franzen

Nyquist-Andersson-Tatar

Miller-Helm-Cleary

Sammy/Bert

Kronwall-Ericsson

Kindl-Dekeyser

Smith-Quincey

Lashoff

First, I'd keep the kids together on the third line because their chemistry is undeniable (Tatar's two goals on Nyquist's two assists the other night stands as evidence). Second, Kindl is on my second pair. I see a lot of people putting Smith up there, and honestly I have no idea why. At this stage of their respective careers Kindl is noticeably better in essentially every area than Smith is. Third, I like Abby on the first line but against slower (and bigger) teams I'd play Bert up there because I think he's got the better offensive skill set. But I don't like Bert on the fourth line as much, so I'd ideally stick with Abby or Eaves there if at all possible.

Edited by kipwinger

I'd honestly love to see the logjam figured out with Nyquist still on this team, but I'm not sure that's going to happen. I feel like the four "NHL" players tonight (Miller, Emmerton, Tatar & Gus) are all guys fighting for a regular spot in the line-up. I really think Gus having the two games of waiver eligibility is going to hurt his chances.

And as far as "the best players will play" mantra of this club, I think Glendening has shown FAR more than Emmerton. I'd be 100% behind him as the 4th line C until Helm comes back.

Guest ForzaVerde

Zetts-Pavs-Abs

Alf-Weiss-Franzen

Andersson-Helm-Nyquist

Tatar-Emmerton-Cleary

Ericsson-Kronwall

Quincey-Kindl

Dekeyser-Smith

Howard

Gustavsson