• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Hockeytown0001

2/8 GDT : Red Wings 2 at Lightning 4

Rate this topic

He's treated like a god now, time has a way of erasing the bad memories and only remembering the good ones. But that was not the case while he was playing.

Its the opposite during modern hockey, how excellent Howard was last game is already a distant memory and it's back to bashing. The harsh life of being a goalie on fan forums.

well hopefully datsyuk wakes up in the olympics because he looks invisible. he can use those games to get back into it. unless hes still hurt

I believe that he is still injured. the last two games he was unable to exert any pressure on his right leg, and he was slow and out of position. That is not a healthy Datsyuk. He was knocked off the puck with ease, that is not a healthy Datsyuk. He is 35 years old and he is the captain of team Russia playing in Russia, so i can entirely understand why he wants to lead his country in the Olympics. I just hope that this is not the last time we see him play for the Wings this season.

We were lucky to be moved to the East...the much weaker East. We don't have to travel to freakin Vancouver etc but once a season. There are only 2 other elite teams...Pittsburgh and Boston. We should have 12-14 more points than we do. C'mon!!

We have scored 151 goals. We have let in 164 goals. There is no reason to believe getting Weiss, Franzen Yzerman or Gretzky to play for us will help stop goals from going into our net. I don't see the Olympic break helping our defense. Jimmy will have to be amazing going forward and we need upgrades on defense.

We have scored 151 goals. We have let in 164 goals. There is no reason to believe getting Weiss, Franzen Yzerman or Gretzky to play for us will help stop goals from going into our net. I don't see the Olympic break helping our defense. Jimmy will have to be amazing going forward and we need upgrades on defense.

Like I said the 4th D spot is the problem. Smith and Kindl haven't progressed, and Quincey is Quincey. They have a ton of D prospects, but no immediate help there. If they could swap Marchenko or Kindl and a pick for a top 4 guy, I'd do it in a second, I just don't know how many of those guys are available.

We were lucky to be moved to the East...the much weaker East. We don't have to travel to freakin Vancouver etc but once a season. There are only 2 other elite teams...Pittsburgh and Boston. We should have 12-14 more points than we do. C'mon!!

Think of the overtime/shootout losses. What a difference even half of those would make right now.

Played great until the end. Offense looks dangerous and can control the play. Defense, though...man, that defense.

Most painful was the empty net goal. Why the hell would you dump the puck deep when you have an empty net?

Stupid decision-making. We dump way too often.

Holland HAS to get a defenseman. Even if he overpays. We are a playoff team. It's time to commit and invest in a run. Make us stronger, Kenny.

Played great until the end. Offense looks dangerous and can control the play. Defense, though...man, that defense.

Most painful was the empty net goal. Why the hell would you dump the puck deep when you have an empty net?

Stupid decision-making. We dump way too often.

Holland HAS to get a defenseman. Even if he overpays. We are a playoff team. It's time to commit and invest in a run. Make us stronger, Kenny.

I don't know. Had the offense burried more of those chances, then a late goal like that wouldn't have mattered. Detroit cannot finish the game when they have the chance and that comes back to bite them in the third every time. Howard made one huge mistake in this game but made a few good ones to keep the score low.

I don't know. Had the offense burried more of those chances, then a late goal like that wouldn't have mattered. Detroit cannot finish the game when they have the chance and that comes back to bite them in the third every time. Howard made one huge mistake in this game but made a few good ones to keep the score low.

Well according to our coach is was both the offense and the defense. Apparently they didn't "compete hard enough" in front of the net and if he had just "won our battles" we'd have been ok.

If only there was a guy who's job was to ensure that this team was competitive and create strategies for "winning battles".

I'd say defending Cup champs in Chicago are just as elite as those 2 teams :lol: and I'd almost put St. Louis in there right now as well.

Like I said the 4th D spot is the problem. Smith and Kindl haven't progressed, and Quincey is Quincey. They have a ton of D prospects, but no immediate help there. If they could swap Marchenko or Kindl and a pick for a top 4 guy, I'd do it in a second, I just don't know how many of those guys are available.

Agreed. We need that guy that we've all been talking about, Greene or Stuart. A guy who will change the game with a huge blocked shot or a shutdown hit on the other teams superstar. Those 2 guys do that. I know full well Stuart does it a LOT! Replace Q with one of those guys and the complexion of our blue line is completely different. You have that go to guy on D to hold a lead. Ericsson has been terrible lately, but he may be feeling too much pressure to be that guy.

Well according to our coach is was both the offense and the defense. Apparently they didn't "compete hard enough" in front of the net and if he had just "won our battles" we'd have been ok.

If only there was a guy who's job was to ensure that this team was competitive and create strategies for "winning battles".

If only the players would actually execute the strategies. You're acting like this is NHL '14 and Babcock is actually controlling what they do out there. All he can do is tell them what he wants done. It's up to them to actually do it.

If only the players would actually execute the strategies. You're acting like this is NHL '14 and Babcock is actually controlling what they do out there. All he can do is tell them what he wants done. It's up to them to actually do it.

I want to be clear, you'd agree with Babs that the problem with the team is simply that they aren't trying hard enough?

I want to be clear, you'd agree with Babs that the problem with the team is simply that they aren't trying hard enough?

They certainly aren't executing. Either they're not working hard enough, or they're not playing smart hockey, take your pick.

Are you saying that a coach who has won at every place he's been and is the only triple gold coach in hockey history is sending them out without a strategy to follow? Because if you believe that's the case, I know a Nigerian prince who needs help smuggling his money to the US and if you help him he'll give you $1,000,000.

Edited by DickieDunn

They certainly aren't executing. Either they're not working hard enough, or they're not playing smart hockey, take your pick.

Are you saying that a coach who has won at every place he's been and is the only triple gold coach in hockey history is sending them out without a strategy to follow? Because if you believe that's the case, I know a Nigerian prince who needs help smuggling his money to the US and if you help him he'll give you $1,000,000.

You could certainly stand to cut down on the sarcasm since I only asked you a question. I agree they aren't executing, and poor execution generally has a lot more to do with coaching than it seems at first glance. The team didn't forget how to play hockey all of a sudden. So what's the issue? According to Babs they aren't trying hard enough. However, I can't imagine that's the case considering part of what gets professional athletes to the level they're at is their competitiveness and drive to succeed. I certainly don't think the Detroit Red Wings collectively decided that they just weren't going to work hard last night.

Also, when you say "all he can do is tell them what he wants done, it's up to them to do it" you're essentially saying that Babs comes up with a game plan, puts the lineup together, and then he's done for the night. Coaches have work to do "controlling" players all game long. And when a team chronically blows third period leads you've got to wonder what's going on. Unless, of course, you believe the Babcock line and think that somewhere between the second and third periods the guys just stopped trying, just as they have a dozen other times this season. I don't know the answer, but I'm calling b.s. on Babs' explanation.

I want the Wings from the 1st period last night for 60 mins!

Me too. But in case you hadn't heard, the whole team just stopped competing (all at once) in the third period for some unexplained reason.

Delvecchio58, on 08 Feb 2014 - 11:07 PM, said:snapback.png

We were lucky to be moved to the East...the much weaker East. We don't have to travel to freakin Vancouver etc but once a season now. There are only 2 other elite teams...Pittsburgh and Boston. We should have 12-14 more points than we do. C'mon!!

I'd say defending Cup champs in Chicago are just as elite as those 2 teams :lol: and I'd almost put St. Louis in there right now as well.

I was referring to elite teams in the East...the serious teams we have to get by. Chicago, St. Louis and Anneheim are the best teams in the West...but there are 7 or 8 elite teams in the West. Don't worry about them. Let's dominate our own weak division first!

Keeping in mind I'm out west, so were three hours behind, I m at my wife's grandmas funeral, graveside with the pastor talking giving the eulogy.

Suddenly my iPhone Red Wings app goes off signaling the start of the game with a loud , "Hey, hey, Hockeytown!"

Oops. I left the phone in my other jacket, then at the last minute, changed jackets.

Our PP has no teeth. I think the argument could be made that that's hurting us more than anything else. Like I've said many, many times, I'd sure love a QB like Lubomir Visnovsky. It's incredible how much we miss Lidstrom and Rafalski on the point. Smith should probably get a look. Failing that, I'd almost consider trying out Pulkkinen, maybe on the point. We don't have a pure sniper, and it shows. Or we could dress Sproul as a PP enforcer, playing him only when we have the man advantage. His shot is a cannon, and he knows how to run a PP. Or there's a guy like Ryan Smyth, good net front presence. Or we could pay up for a power forward, maybe Chris Stewart. Or we could simply bear down, try harder.

Whatever we do, we need to be practicing the power play ad nauseam. Devote entire practices and film sessions to it. Go over it again and again and again and again. We're winning/losing games on the strength/weakness of our play with the man advantage. It's a big deal. Even the smallest improvements could be huge for us.

Our PP has no teeth. I think the argument could be made that that's hurting us more than anything else. Like I've said many, many times, I'd sure love a QB like Lubomir Visnovsky. It's incredible how much we miss Lidstrom and Rafalski on the point. Smith should probably get a look. Failing that, I'd almost consider trying out Pulkkinen, maybe on the point. We don't have a pure sniper, and it shows. Or we could dress Sproul as a PP enforcer, playing him only when we have the man advantage. His shot is a cannon, and he knows how to run a PP. Or there's a guy like Ryan Smyth, good net front presence. Or we could pay up for a power forward, maybe Chris Stewart. Or we could simply bear down, try harder.

Whatever we do, we need to be practicing the power play ad nauseam. Devote entire practices and film sessions to it. Go over it again and again and again and again. We're winning/losing games on the strength/weakness of our play with the man advantage. It's a big deal. Even the smallest improvements could be huge for us.

Maybe we could talk Rafalski into coming out of retirement...oh wait...