• Please log in to reply
404 replies to this topic

#21 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,396 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 06:10 PM

Lol Quincey has been our third best defensemen for a while now. The blind hate is ridiculous. There's a reason he's the only dman on this team that other GMs are interested in.

Is there any evidence to that claim at all? Kronner, E and DeKeyser aren't available because they are infinitely more valuable than Quincey, so that's part of the reasoning. Quincey is an overpaid disaster that might catch some GM's attention only because he is a rental and the asking price wouldn't be relatively high.

Quincey was a nightmare against Washington and that was three games ago. It's like he has become so terrible that just being rather unnoticeable is acceptable now. That's OK if you are Brian Lashoff, but not when you make nearly four million dollars and play the minutes Quincey does.

Edited by GoWings1905, 08 February 2014 - 06:12 PM.

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

#22 joesuffP

joesuffP

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,282 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 06:17 PM

Is there any evidence to that claim at all? Kronner, E and DeKeyser aren't available because they are infinitely more valuable than Quincey, so that's part of the reasoning. Quincey is an overpaid disaster that might catch some GM's attention only because he is a rental and the asking price wouldn't be relatively high.

Quincey was a nightmare against Washington and that was three games ago. It's like he has become so terrible that just being rather unnoticeable is acceptable now. That's OK if you are Brian Lashoff, but not when you make nearly four million dollars and play the minutes Quincey does.

The game where we gave up 3 PP goals and 6 total. I'd say that was a terrible defensive performance from everyone

I do the eye test I don't even look at stats most of the time. I don't know what Ericsson's numbers were against the Panthers but he was absolutely the worst defensemen that game

#23 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 06:17 PM

A lot of beef on Tampa's 4th line.

esteef
"The Wings haven't won a Cup without Darren McCarty since 1955."

#24 RyanBarnes!

RyanBarnes!

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,972 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 06:19 PM

An unbiased observer watching these last 20 games would say the same thing
It's the same thing that happened with Ericsson. He was dreadful and the forum hated him. Than he improved a lot but people still cursed his name over things that weren't his fault. It took almost a year of good play for LGW to acknowledge his improvement

I'm with you. Quincey is not so bad. For every mistake he makes he usually makes a really good defensive play too. He does take a lot of penalties and his offense has been a disappointment though.
"Joey (Kocur) has no fear" -Lyndon Byers
"Empty-net goals are for homos" -Al Iafrate

#25 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,509 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 06:29 PM

I'm with you. Quincey is not so bad. For every mistake he makes he usually makes a really good defensive play too. He does take a lot of penalties and his offense has been a disappointment though.

for every bad play he makes he makes a good defensive play? ya, and for every good defensive play he makes, he also makes 2 mistakes, so that is a 3-1 ratio

#26 DickieDunn

DickieDunn

http://redwingsandotherthings.wordpress.com/

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,515 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 06:29 PM

Quincey isn't as bad as a lot of people think, and a lot of the hate has to do with his salary, but to say he's their 3rd best d-man is just ridiculous. He's an average d-man who takes too many penalties.

Oh this young man has had a very trying rookie season, with the litigation, the notoriety, his subsequent deportation to Canada and that country's refusal to accept him, well, I guess that's more than most 21-year-olds can handle... Ogie Ogilthorpe!

#27 gowings00

gowings00

No Talent Goon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 06:40 PM

^^^^THIS^^^^

....the hate on Quincey is well justified even if we hadn't traded a #1 pick and paid him MORE than any defenseman other than Kronner. He played well in the playoffs last year and so I defended him at the start of the season. Not now...

#28 Detroit # 1 Fan

Detroit # 1 Fan

Truculence.

• HoF Booster
  • 19,061 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 06:43 PM

Man without Stamkos and Fil, the Bolts look mighty thin up front. We should get 2 points tonight, hope the Wings don't take them lightly.

#NOMOREKINDL

#29 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,785 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 06:48 PM

last i heard, bishop is doubtful to play tonight.

He apparently led the team out for warmups, so that's a good sign he's starting tonight. 

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#30 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,922 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 06:49 PM

I'd rather judge someone's performance on how they play without including what they cost us.  They have no control over what we traded to get them and what their salary was at that time, nor can we blame them (and their agents) for getting the most money possible.

That said, Q has made a lot of great saves defensively.  He's turned over the puck and blown coverage, but I have seen a lot of good things in him too.

I'd call him 4th after Kronner, DD, and E, but YYMV.  Smith may pass him with more experience, but that is in the future (hopefully the near future).

Plus he has great eyebrows.

As far as tonight's game... I feel really bad for Flip and Stamkos for having to miss the Olympics, but I'm kind of relieved that they won't play tonight against us.

Let's get a Big W as an Olympic sendoff!  Go Wings!

#31 joesuffP

joesuffP

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,282 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 06:56 PM

I guess I'm just quick to forget past things but the last 5 games or so DD has looked pretty bad and worse than Quincey

#32 drumnj

drumnj

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 764 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 06:58 PM

Well no more Wings games for a while after tonight.  Least I get to fill all that time watching some curling...of which I only get to do once every 4 years *sigh*.

Your any-time FSD online source, with pre and post game coverage along with any Red Wings specials.  Youtube page: RedWingsLive1

Red Wings and Griffins Live Games Check my profile
Always looking for people to help with the site, be it coding (PHP & JS) or design work. PM me if you'd be interested.

Cleary on, Mike!
Cleary on, Ken!
Dan's World, Dan's World... Mediocrity!... Excellent!

#33 joesuffP

joesuffP

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,282 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 07:03 PM

Never get the wings feed on center ice

#34 gowings00

gowings00

No Talent Goon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 07:04 PM

I'd rather judge someone's performance on how they play without including what they cost us.  They have no control over what we traded to get them and what their salary was at that time, nor can we blame them (and their agents) for getting the most money possible.

That said, Q has made a lot of great saves defensively.  He's turned over the puck and blown coverage, but I have seen a lot of good things in him too.

I'd call him 4th after Kronner, DD, and E, but YYMV.  Smith may pass him with more experience, but that is in the future (hopefully the near future).

Plus he has great eyebrows.

As far as tonight's game... I feel really bad for Flip and Stamkos for having to miss the Olympics, but I'm kind of relieved that they won't play tonight against us.

Let's get a Big W as an Olympic sendoff!  Go Wings!

Blaming Q for making money is different that using his salary as an indicator for what WE could have for a 3.7 million cap hit.

#35 BottleOfSmoke

BottleOfSmoke

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,180 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 07:06 PM

LGW! The great Corngoalieo demands another win!
  • Y19 likes this

LGWsig_zpsa75c5d1e.jpg

#36 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,922 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 07:16 PM

Blaming Q for making money is different that using his salary as an indicator for what WE could have for a 3.7 million cap hit.

Fair point.  I understand that perspective. 

If that's where people are coming from, I can see that.

I'm reading it as though he should be playing differently if he gets more money, but I could be reading it wrong.

#37 joesuffP

joesuffP

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,282 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 07:19 PM

See what helm does for your line. May not have good hands but the puck stays in the offensive zone
Good start

#38 BottleOfSmoke

BottleOfSmoke

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,180 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 07:19 PM

I really don't like TB's jerseys tonight. Very beer league.

BOLTS(!)

LGWsig_zpsa75c5d1e.jpg

#39 jimmyemeryhunter

jimmyemeryhunter

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,104 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 07:23 PM

How do you not do everything you can to keep the kid line together in the big league, they're dominant night in and night out.

Edited by jimmyemeryhunter, 08 February 2014 - 07:24 PM.

#40 joesuffP

joesuffP

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,282 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 07:23 PM

Jurco is going to be a beast