• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
MabusIncarnate

Official 2014 Olympic Hockey Thread (Admin warning #316)

Rate this topic

I'm Canadian and I'm pulling for Sweden, Slovakia and Russia. Let's Go Wings! When I don't like Canada's team top to bottom, I cheer for Wings above Canada.

I can't root for USA as long as Kane is on the team, guy's a first rate scum bag, so I'm cheering for Sweden since I'm mostly Swedish.

What's the point of picking a team in the Olympics if you aren't going to pick your national team? That's literally the ENTIRE point of the Olympics. Unless you're a German hockey fan and don't have a horse in the race, it's completely absurd to root against your country in an event which is specifically designed for nations to compete with one another. I could understand not caring who wins, and only caring about seeing good games. But that means that you would be just as happy to see your team win as any other. But to actively hope another team is better than your national team makes no sense to me.

Would you root against our home country's world junior team? How about your hometown high school team? Silly.

Edited by kipwinger

What's the point of picking a team in the Olympics if you aren't going to pick your national team? That's literally the ENTIRE point of the Olympics. Unless you're a German hockey fan and don't have a horse in the race, it's completely absurd to root against your country in an event which is specifically designed for nations to compete with one another. I could understand not caring who wins, and only caring about seeing good games. But that means that you would be just as happy to see your team win as any other. But to actively hope another team is better than your national team makes no sense to me.

Would you root against our home country's world junior team? How about your hometown high school team? Silly.

World Junior team no, because Patsy isn't on it. High school team I'm indifferent because I want the kids to win but I want them to lose so the coach (who is an idiot) gets fired, it's a popular opinion among players/parents who've played for him. I'm perfectly fine with not rooting for US for my reason, even if it's a really bad reason.

World Junior team no, because Patsy isn't on it. High school team I'm indifferent because I want the kids to win but I want them to lose so the coach (who is an idiot) gets fired, it's a popular opinion among players/parents who've played for him. I'm perfectly fine with not rooting for US for my reason, even if it's a really bad reason.

Haha. At the end of the day it doesn't really matter I suppose. I guess I just don't understand the thinking is all. Which is nothing new, since I find most modern thought utterly befuddling.

Rooting against one's country because of a particular NHL player is silly. The saint on your team is often a devil to your rival. For Wings fans, think Todd Bertuzzi, Vladdy, Probert, and Chelios. These guys were/are hated by many across the league yet fans of Detroit cheer for them. Probert ended up in Chicago after beating the snot out of Blackhawks' players for years. Chelios came to Detroit after many seasons of bitter rivalry.

USA! USA! USA!

That just sounds so wrong....I can't understand it. I do the same thing when Wing players are playing against other countries, but no way would I cheer against Canada.

I don't care for the team Canada picked. My country or not, if I don't like the team I won't cheer for them. I never said I was cheering against them, it just don't care to cheer for them. I'll cheer for my favourite player Zetterberg and the Swedes and I'll pull for Datsyuk and the other kids Jurco and Tatar on Slovakia.

That's my personal mindset anyways.

i for one am happy kane is american.. say what you want about his attitude or whatever but he's a damn good player.

Yeah, for real. I actually don't think he's got an attitude...any more. Even if he did, that dude is about to light it up for the Americans and bring us the gold. I'd gladly watch him punch ten or twelve cab drivers so long as I don't have to feel like I did four years ago.

Yeah, for real. I actually don't think he's got an attitude...any more. Even if he did, that dude is about to light it up for the Americans and bring us the gold. I'd gladly watch him punch ten or twelve cab drivers so long as I don't have to feel like I did four years ago.

i have heard somewhere that he's matured a lot and has focused more on hockey the past couple seasons than he did before.. if true, good for him.

edit: speaking of which, http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2014/02/11/no-longer-young-and-naive-kane-aims-for-olympic-redemption-in-sochi/

Edited by amato

Our boy is up and skating again, apparently healthy....

1297525277701_ORIGINAL.jpg?quality=80&si

When asked about his injury, he said: “What injury?”

Told Wings and Team Canada coach Mike Babcock had said Datsyuk was not 100%, Datsyuk pretty much gave Babcock the hand: “Everything’s fine. My injury does not bother me at all. Babcock is not my concern right now,” he said.

Datsyuk, the Russian captain, practised Tuesday between Ilya Kovalchuk and Alexander Radulov.

Datsyuk said he was “excellent” after practice, but did have one limitation.

“I can do everything. The one thing I can’t do is talk to the media too much,” he said. “It takes lots of my energy.”

Edited by evilmrt

The Datsyuk thing really kind of sucks. Hopefully it doesn't cause a rift when everyone gets back. On another note I haven't seen anyone post practice line combos for any teams but I found a few articles.

http://www.habseyesontheprize.com/2014/2/11/5400194/winter-olympics-2014-mens-hockey-practice-lines-canada-us-russia-sweden

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2014/02/10/hossa-handzus-tatar-line-highlights-slovakias-first-olympic-practice/

I couldn't find anything on the Czech's or Finland and the rest of the teams combos seem irrelevant.

Landeskog-Z-Steen has potential to be an amazing line. The kind of line that could potentially kill a group like Ovechkin-Malkin-Semin.

But I'm worried about Sedin-Backstrom-Eriksson. They all need to find their game, or we're in trouble. Defense could also be an issue if Kronwall and Ericsson don't improve on their play.

At this point I'm happy with a medal for Sweden, I think we're at most the 4th best team on paper. Lundqvist needs to be amazing.

Landeskog-Z-Steen has potential to be an amazing line. The kind of line that could potentially kill a group like Ovechkin-Malkin-Semin.

But I'm worried about Sedin-Backstrom-Eriksson. They all need to find their game, or we're in trouble. Defense could also be an issue if Kronwall and Ericsson don't improve on their play.

At this point I'm happy with a medal for Sweden, I think we're at most the 4th best team on paper. Lundqvist needs to be amazing.

Exactly and that's why it's so hard for me to understand the snubbing of Hedman. Yeah Oduya might be a veteran, but he doesn't bring what Hedman would have brought. At least Lundqvist is used having to bail teams out time and time again.

I really like the first line, although I don't like the second line and think overall this team is way to soft, they are going to get pushed around easily by Canada and America.

The Datsyuk thing really kind of sucks. Hopefully it doesn't cause a rift when everyone gets back. On another note I haven't seen anyone post practice line combos for any teams but I found a few articles.

http://www.habseyesontheprize.com/2014/2/11/5400194/winter-olympics-2014-mens-hockey-practice-lines-canada-us-russia-sweden

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2014/02/10/hossa-handzus-tatar-line-highlights-slovakias-first-olympic-practice/

I couldn't find anything on the Czech's or Finland and the rest of the teams combos seem irrelevant.

Anyone catch Datsyuk's interview with Elliotte Friedman? It was pretty strange.

Anyone catch Datsyuk's interview with Elliotte Friedman? It was pretty strange.

Yeah, he is not comfortable answering questions on his health. This scares me, it seems like he is hiding something. This is all speculation but it would not surprise me if he comes back and goes straight to LTIR with knee ending surgery.

Edited by Smite

i have heard somewhere that he's matured a lot and has focused more on hockey the past couple seasons than he did before.. if true, good for him.

edit: speaking of which, http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2014/02/11/no-longer-young-and-naive-kane-aims-for-olympic-redemption-in-sochi/

I guess it was moreso this: http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2012/05/29/blackhawks-disappointed-in-kane/ which was linked in that article. As someone who frequents events like that in Madison, it's extremely hard to respect someone who pulls the stuff he did. Might seem silly to you, and that's fine. I'm not trying to start an argument or anything. Hopefully all these games will be entertaining!

http://www2.dailyfaceoff.com/olympics/teams/

Tatar's on the top line :baby:

Don't know how trustworthy that site is. They have Visnovsky as playing for Slovakia, but didn't he withdraw? Also, IIRC, each team can dress 20 skaters for each game, 4 full lines, not 4 F lines, 3 D pairs.

They're allowed a 13th forward and a 7th d-man. Babs was just talking about how critical those extras are due to the speed of Olympic hockey yesterday, and how he made a mistake last time not recognizing that at first.

Don't know how trustworthy that site is. They have Visnovsky as playing for Slovakia, but didn't he withdraw? Also, IIRC, each team can dress 20 skaters for each game, 4 full lines, not 4 F lines, 3 D pairs.

nbc sports reporting the same top line.