• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
MabusIncarnate

Official 2014 Olympic Hockey Thread (Admin warning #316)

Rate this topic

Wow, Canada sure got lucky getting to start out against Norway and Austria, while team USA has already played a legit team (Slovakia) and are about to play team Russia tomorrow morning. Will be interesting to see how Canada fairs against an actual medal contender.

It'll be interesting to see how the US fairs against an actual medal contender as well. Seeing as they haven't played one either....lol

Also playing weaker teams off the start is not an advantage for a team like Canada. If anything it's the opposite.

Is TSN creating their own way to show the Olympic medal count so Canada ranks higher?

esteef

I noticed that too! At first I thought they were going alphabetically back when Canada was tied with Norway for medals. But now it's pretty obvious they're just keeping Canada as #3 regardless of the medal count. Ridiculous. Inferiority complex much? lol

Edited by TheDetroitRedWings

It'll be interesting to see how the US fairs against an actual medal contender as well. Seeing as they haven't played one either....lol

You really gonna compare Slovakia and Russia, with Norway and Austria?? :lol: Okay Slovakia might not be hardcore contenders. But they have a MUCH better chance than either Austria or Norway (whom Canada had trouble with). And like I said team USA's second game is against team Russia. Pretty sure they're medal contenders (hell they're GOLD medal contenders).

Also playing weaker teams off the start is not an advantage for a team like Canada. If anything it's the opposite.

Slovenia and Slovakia are gold medal contenders haven't you heard? Lol, Canada plays Finland Sunday, but I guess they don't count either.

I couldn't disagree more... Playing weaker teams in the beginning gives them more slack to build up chemistry and have less pressure overall and gives them more time to get their stuff together when they finally do play a medal contender.

Apparently TSN/CBC gives more weight to a gold medal? The have Slovakia with 1 Gold ranked above Sweden with 5 Silvers and 2 Bronze? Retarded.

esteef

Yeah and they're tied with USA, Norway and Netherlands for Gold, yet they rank themselves above all 3 despite the fact that all 3 have the same amount of Gold and MORE overall medals. SMH

What's with all the ribbing Canada and Canadians being overly sensitive? Americans, quit poking the bear. Canadians, eat some Timbits. :lol:

Seriously, everybody needs to lighten up a little bit or it's going to be WWIII before the hockey even gets important.

Slovenia and Slovakia are gold medal contenders haven't you heard? Lol, Canada plays Finland Sunday, but I guess they don't count either.

Ummm...when did team USA play Slovenia?? And we were talking about both team's first 2 games. So Canada playing Finland on Sunday has nothing to do with what we were discussing.

You really gonna compare Slovakia and Russia, with Norway and Austria?? :lol: Okay Slovakia might not be hardcore contenders. But they have a MUCH better chance than either Austria or Norway (whom Canada had trouble with). And like I said team USA's second game is against team Russia. Pretty sure they're medal contenders (hell they're GOLD medal contenders).

Huh? I didn't compare the teams and the US hasn't even played Russia yet. lol

None of the top teams have played each other.

So this whole "Will be interesting to see how Canada fairs against an actual medal contender." could be said for anyone....

But hey it's popular to hate on the favorites.

Huh? I didn't compare the teams and the US hasn't even played Russia yet. lol

None of the top teams have played each other.

So this whole "Will be interesting to see how Canada fairs against an actual medal contender." could be said for anyone....

But hey it's popular to hate on the favorites.

Yeah actually you did compare them by saying team USA has also not faced a medal contender (after I referred to Norway and Austria being lucky draws). Team Slovakia is much more respected and has a much better chance for a medal than either Norway or Austria. And it's not my fault that team USA hasn't played their 2nd game yet. The point is, Canada got very lucky with their first 2 draws, compared to team USA who already faced a respectable team and will face a Gold medal contender (and home country) team Russia for their 2nd game.

Apparently stating facts is "hating on the favorites." So so overly sensitive it's almost laughable. lol

Yeah actually you did compare them by saying team USA has also not faced a medal contender (after I referred to Norway and Austria being lucky draws). Team Slovakia is much more respected and has a much better chance for a medal than either Norway or Austria. And it's not my fault that team USA hasn't played their 2nd game yet. The point is, Canada got very lucky with their first 2 draws, compared to team USA who already faced a respectable team and will face a Gold medal contender (and home country) team Russia for their 2nd game.

lol Again..all I said was the US has not faced a medal contender yet....

That's not comparing anything. It's a statement.

lol Again..all I said was the US has not faced a medal contender yet....

That's not comparing anything. It's a statement.

Okay I'll re-phrase my original statement: Canada sure got lucky getting to start out against Norway and Austria, while team USA has already played a respectable team (Slovakia) and are about to play team Russia tomorrow morning. Will be interesting to see how Canada fairs against an actual respectable team.

K there ya go. Fixed.

I couldn't disagree more... Playing weaker teams in the beginning gives them more slack to build up chemistry and have less pressure overall and gives them more time to get their stuff together when they finally do play a medal contender.

Except the prelims determine if and where you are seeded in the elimination rounds, including byes. Easier start = better seed and potentially less games. The slack you speak of is an advantage. If you slack off against a good team you could blow your chance at gold or a medal. If Canada played the game they played against Norway, against USA, Russia or Sweden they would have gotten smoked.

Edited by rrasco

Apparently stating facts is "hating on the favorites." So so overly sensitive it's almost laughable. lol

The hate is strong within this one. I love it.

Yeah and they're tied with USA, Norway and Netherlands for Gold, yet they rank themselves above all 3 despite the fact that all 3 have the same amount of Gold and MORE overall medals. SMH

For the medal standings, it is listed by who has the most golds, then for teams that have the same number of golds, they are ranked by the most silvers.

For the medal standings, it is listed by who has the most golds, then for teams that have the same number of golds, they are ranked by the most silvers.

You gotta admit that's a little ridiculous and comes off as them trying to find any way possible to keep themselves as high in the standings as they can. I mean come on a team that has the same amount of Golds and has 3 more overall medals should certainly be higher in the rankings.

Ths has probably already been mentioned, but what the hey:

Datsyuk engages in verbal jousting prior to Saturday's US-Russia game [The Malik Report]

"If we play our hockey, it'll be easy for us," Datsyuk said after practice Friday. "If we start to play not our hockey, not good for us."

I wonder how much of that is national pride, how much of it is gamesmanship, how much of it is injury-related crankiness, and how much of it is true belief. Ultimately, though, it's likely a non-story that the media is trying to pump up.

You gotta admit that's a little ridiculous and comes off as them trying to find any way possible to keep themselves as high in the standings as they can. I mean come on a team that has the same amount of Golds and has 3 more overall medals should certainly be higher in the rankings.

I'm sorry, did Canada make the rules about the standings ? A little over sensitive I believe. Why don't you complain about Germany or some other country that have half the medals but are ranked higher.

Jeez, the hate is incredible.

I'm sorry, did Canada make the rules about the standings ? A little over sensitive I believe. Why don't you complain about Germany or some other country that have half the medals but are ranked higher.

Jeez, the hate is incredible.

My apologies I thought TSN was the only ones ranking in that way. I didn't realize that was the universal Olympic ranking system. Again, no hate at all.

I noticed that too! At first I thought they were going alphabetically back when Canada was tied with Norway for medals. But now it's pretty obvious they're just keeping Canada as #3 regardless of the medal count. Ridiculous. Inferiority complex much? lol

For as long as I know, going back to about Albertville, it Metal Standing goes by golds than tie breaker is silver and than bronze

I have only followed Canadian media, but looking at the official Olympic site http://www.sochi2014.com/en

Seems like the rest of the world does the same........ what does this remind me of..... ohhh the metric system. All kidding aside I have never seen why they would count like that.

Edited by Smite

For as long as I know, going back to about Albertville, it Metal Standing goes by golds than tie breaker is silver and than bronze

I have only followed Canadian media, but looking at the official Olympic site http://www.sochi2014.com/en

Seems like the rest of the world does the same........ what does this remind me off..... ohhh the metric system. All kidding aside I have never seen why they would count like that.

Yeah I just noticed that as well. Didn't realize that was the way everyone ranks it. And yeah, they should definitely go by either Golds, or overall medal count. IMHO.