• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
MabusIncarnate

Official 2014 Olympic Hockey Thread (Admin warning #316)

Rate this topic

In all honesty...I hope the St.Louis Blues represent the Western Conference for the 2014 Cup Final...They seem like a decent bunch of guys to cheer for.

They were my prediction to win the west this year. Their team is so strong top to bottom. Them and Boston is the finals I predict and would actually love to see. Shattenkirk is a very good player as well. Didn't look to get too much ice time today (I could be wrong though), but he's a good guy to fall back on if needed to step up.

Well, if US beats Slovenia (which they should) and Russia beats Slovakia in regulation, both teams will probably go straight to the 1/4 finals. I'm cheering for a regulation win in Canada - Finland game, whoever wins.

They were my prediction to win the west this year. Their team is so strong top to bottom. Them and Boston is the finals I predict and would actually love to see. Shattenkirk is a very good player as well. Didn't look to get too much ice time today (I could be wrong though), but he's a good guy to fall back on if needed to step up.

They are a scary, scary team. No holes.

Well, if US beats Slovenia (which they should) and Russia beats Slovakia in regulation, both teams will probably go straight to the 1/4 finals. I'm cheering for a regulation win in Canada - Finland game, whoever wins.

Looks like the only chance there is of a rematch of todays game is either an overtime game between Canada and Finland tomorrow or as a gold medal game.

I'm sorry it took so long to get on here and talk to you guys, I was busy calling everybody I knew. How awesome was that shootout? T.J. Oshie hasf****** ice water in his veins. Him vs. the best that Russia had to offer and he stood tall...WITH A GRIN ON HIS FACE THE WHOLE TIME!!!! What a game. Team USA was picked on swagger, and so far swagger has delivered.

p.s. For the rest of eternity T.J. Oshie is aces in my book.

Edited by vladdy16
PLEASE DO NOT CIRCUMVENT THE CURSE FILTER

I'm sorry it took so long to get on here and talk to you guys, I was busy calling everybody I knew. How awesome was that shootout? T.J. Oshie has f*cking ice water in his veins. Him vs. the best that Russia had to offer and he stood tall...WITH A GRIN ON HIS FACE THE WHOLE TIME!!!! What a game. Team USA was picked on swagger, and so far swagger has delivered.

p.s. For the rest of eternity T.J. Oshie is aces in my book.

I've calmed down some but I"m still on an adrenaline high, it was just a completely awesome game with a completely awesome ending. T.J. Sochie!

I've calmed down some but I"m still on an adrenaline high, it was just a completely awesome game with a completely awesome ending. T.J. Sochie!

I want a framed picture of Oshie grinning before those shootout attempts. There is literally no situation in hockey where there's more pressure on an individual player. No shootouts in the NHL playoffs. This is as high stakes as it gets, and that kid had to shoot what 5, 6 times? And he did it with a smile on his face. That dude rules soooo much.

Kudos to quick for standing tall as well. I haven't even spoken about him yet. I absolutely love this hockey team.

Edited by kipwinger

Just to be clear, what are the exact rules re: the shootout? Like, did Bylsma have to keep going to Oshie? Or does Bylsma just have a wicked sixth sense for these things? (See also: that time he said Jussi Jokinen was gonna score on the next play, and Jussi Jokinen scored on the next play. I also vaguely remember him saying something about Max Talbot prior to The Game That Shall Not Be Named.)

Just to be clear, what are the exact rules re: the shootout? Like, did Bylsma have to keep going to Oshie? Or does Bylsma just have a wicked sixth sense for these things? (See also: that time he said Jussi Jokinen was gonna score on the next play, and Jussi Jokinen scored on the next play. I also vaguely remember him saying something about Max Talbot prior to The Game That Shall Not Be Named.)

The first 3 shooters must be different, after that anyone can shoot as many times as the coach wants.

O'Shie was hot, so Bylsma used him, and used him, and used him,...

Good coaching.

On an unrelated note, one of the refs today was American. The episode with the (correctly) disallowed goal proves that it is a bad idea to have a ref of the same nation as one of the teams playing. Appearance of a conflict of interest. Controversial decisions are bound to happen. It's tolerable in a round-robin game, but I hope it is not going to happen in elimination games.

The first 3 shooters must be different, after that anyone can shoot as many times as the coach wants.

Good coaching.

On an unrelated note, one of the refs today was American. The episode with the (correctly) disallowed goal proves that it is a bad idea to have a ref of the same nation as one of the teams playing. Appearance of a conflict of interest. Controversial decisions are bound to happen. It's tolerable in a round-robin game, but I hope it is not going to happen in elimination games.

What "episode"? The net was dislodged, I was watching CANADIAN tv and even they said it was clearly not a goal under the rules. Should they have blown play dead as soon as it happened? Yeah, but then the goal wouldn't have happened...so you lose under both scenarios.

I want a framed picture of Oshie grinning before those shootout attempts. There is literally no situation in hockey where there's more pressure on an individual player. No shootouts in the NHL playoffs. This is as high stakes as it gets, and that kid had to shoot what 5, 6 times? And he did it with a smile on his face. That dude rules soooo much.

That was the thing, you could see it in Kovulchuks eyes, like "FFS, I have to shoot again?" It was definately wearing him and Pav down, the pressure of it. Oshie was too dumb and too young to care :lol: The definition of clutch.

Edited by Nev

Good coaching.

Thanks, I'd guessed that was what was up. Good on Disco Dan.

Not a fan of the no-goal. Cheapened the whole thing for me a bit, even if it was the right call. I dunno if it can be pinned on one of the refs being American, though. (Then again...)

I have to admit that Russia is a better team than I thought they'd be. If Ovechkin buries either of his two post shots they win. And I thought their defense was better than I gave it credit for too. I DEFINITELY wouldn't want to play that team in the medal round. They're the type that could drop 3 or 4 goals on you in the first period. They're also really fast. They'll match up well against Canada, particularly if they just double shift their top two lines for the entire third period like they did against us.

So far, of the Big Four I've got to say it's:

USA (because we beat a contender)

Russia (because they barely lost to a contender)

Canada (because they punished a bunch of nobodies)

Sweden (because they didn't punish a bunch of nobodies)