• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
MabusIncarnate

Official 2014 Olympic Hockey Thread (Admin warning #316)

Rate this topic

To all my American friends. Congrats on the win.

Before I continue, I'd like to say that although I'm Canadian, I have no preference as to who wins this tournament. There are guys I like on all teams, and guys I hate.

Two things:

1. Shoot outs still suck

2. If you're ready to give Oshie the keys to the Whitehouse for being good at shootouts, you had better check first to see that Toews is at Camp David for the weekend.

Just finished watching the game, gonna have to go back and catch up on the thread but here are my thoughts:

Russia's jerseys are amazing

This game was amazing

I don't like when Datsyuk is on the other team

Shootouts still suck

Bonus Fun Fact: The only players to score against Team USA are Red Wings

If you're ready to give Oshie the keys to the Whitehouse for being good at shootouts,

Yes, please. He at least CAN do something right.

Bonus Fun Fact: The only players to score against Team USA are Red Wings

Plus: the only players score for team Slovakia so far are Red Wings :)

Edited by ami

The Blues are my team in the West again, so many likeable players and they have built this team without tanking AND on a small internal budget, so that's extremely impressive.

Their loyal fans deserve a winner and it would be good for the whole city, if the Blues could bring in a cup.

Without tanking? Well maybe not Pittsburgh/Chicago style, but their current franchise defenseman was drafted 4th overall in 2008 as a result of them finishing second last in the West. The Wings won the President's Trophy and the Stanley Cup that year.

Sorry, but the Blues have built a team off of pretty good draft positions.

That being said, I'd have zero issues with St Louis winning the cup.

I have to admit that Russia is a better team than I thought they'd be. If Ovechkin buries either of his two post shots they win. And I thought their defense was better than I gave it credit for too. I DEFINITELY wouldn't want to play that team in the medal round. They're the type that could drop 3 or 4 goals on you in the first period. They're also really fast. They'll match up well against Canada, particularly if they just double shift their top two lines for the entire third period like they did against us.

So far, of the Big Four I've got to say it's:

USA (because we beat a contender)

Russia (because they barely lost to a contender)

Canada (because they punished a bunch of nobodies)

Sweden (because they didn't punish a bunch of nobodies)

- I agree, Russia looked a much better team than I thought too.

- As I predicted, USA narrowly beat Russia. What I didn't predict was Russia looking the more dangerous team.

- Never mind Ovechkin and his chances, if Radulov wasn't a complete moron they win the game in regulation. I wouldn't put him on the ice again in this tournament.

- The no-goal for Russia was unfortunate for them but the right call nonetheless.

My Rankings:

1 Canada (because they are defending champions and you can't fault them for "punishing a bunch nobodies")

2 Russia (because they looked the better team against USA and if it weren't for that rat-of-a-human known as Radulov and a very unlucky bounce late in the game, they would have won it in regulation)

3 USA (because they are a legitimate contender and beat another contender in a shootout.)

4/5 Sweden & Finland (at this point due to injuries I don't see either of them as legitimate contenders)

The way the tournament is taking shape, I see the Americans cruising to the Gold Medal quite easily now (much like they did in 2010) the only unknown IMO is whether they will play Canada or Russia. The next week will be very interesting.

Czech Republic are losing to Switzerland, and Sweden is tied with Latvia of all teams.

Now I can understand Sweden having trouble without Z and the better twin.... But Wtf is wrong with the Czechs? They've always been a contender.

- I agree, Russia looked a much better team than I thought too.

- As I predicted, USA narrowly beat Russia. What I didn't predict was Russia looking the more dangerous team.

- Never mind Ovechkin and his chances, if Radulov wasn't a complete moron they win the game in regulation. I wouldn't put him on the ice again in this tournament.

- The no-goal for Russia was unfortunate for them but the right call nonetheless.

My Rankings:

1 Canada (because they are defending champions and you can't fault them for "punishing a bunch nobodies")

2 Russia (because they looked the better team against USA and if it weren't for that rat-of-a-human known as Radulov and a very unlucky bounce late in the game, they would have won it in regulation)

3 USA (because they are a legitimate contender and beat another contender in a shootout.)

4/5 Sweden & Finland (at this point due to injuries I don't see either of them as legitimate contenders)

The way the tournament is taking shape, I see the Americans cruising to the Gold Medal quite easily now (much like they did in 2010) the only unknown IMO is whether they will play Canada or Russia. The next week will be very interesting.

I wasn't punishing Canada, they're obviously a very good team. I just think we need to see how they perform against a good team before we can say they're the best team in the tourney. I do agree that the Russians looked more dangerous than the US for most of the game though. But powerplays are part of the game, and so far ours looked pretty good.

I have to admit that Russia is a better team than I thought they'd be. If Ovechkin buries either of his two post shots they win.

And how about that US shot blocking? Thought for sure Kesler had broken his wrist or something.

But I was astounded how often Ovie did the "controller disconnected" thing, like constantly. On the PP I was generous, thinking "OK, he's out there for the full 2 minutes, he needs to conserve his energy", but he did it even strength too, all the time.

If I were the Russians coach, Radulov sits next game, or at best plays on the 4th line. It's not like he's been effective anyway.

And please, sit Kovy too. They'll enjoy each other.

Correct me if I'm wrong, if the following results happen tomorrow without any major changes in each teams goal difference, will this be the overall standings moving forward?

Finland OT Win over Canada

Russia Win over Slovakia

USA Win over Slovenia

1) Sweden 9 pts.

2) Finland 8 pts.

3) USA 8 pts.

4) Canada 7 pts.

5) Russia 7 pts.

Although I would never cheer against Canada, it would be hilarious if something like this happened and it shaped a Semi-Final Rematch of USA vs. Russia.

Correct me if I'm wrong, if the following results happen tomorrow without any major changes in each teams goal difference, will this be the overall standings moving forward?

Finland OT Win over Canada

Russia Win over Slovakia

USA Win over Slovenia

1) Sweden 9 pts.

2) Finland 8 pts.

3) USA 8 pts.

4) Canada 7 pts.

5) Russia 7 pts.

Although I would never cheer against Canada, it would be hilarious if something like this happened and it shaped a Semi-Final Rematch of USA vs. Russia.

Never mind I am wrong. Seeds 4 and 5 are on the same side of the bracket

And how about that US shot blocking? Thought for sure Kesler had broken his wrist or something.

But I was astounded how often Ovie did the "controller disconnected" thing, like constantly. On the PP I was generous, thinking "OK, he's out there for the full 2 minutes, he needs to conserve his energy", but he did it even strength too, all the time.

Yeah, I commented during the game on the shot blocking, I was very happy to see that. If we don't play that kind of a gritty game we don't do s*** in this tourney. Good to see the guys got the message. Speaking of which, Ryan Kesler played a hell of a game. You have to wonder if it's the Vancouver team/system/culture that breeds his whiny/diving/bs because in the Olympics he plays a hard nosed game.