• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
MabusIncarnate

Official 2014 Olympic Hockey Thread (Admin warning #316)

Rate this topic

USA is Russia's biggest rival in many things, but not when it comes to Hockey.

I'm pretty sure they hate Canada far more than the US.

I guess I should have been clearer, by everything I didn't necessarily mean hockey. While in hockey they may hate Canada more(which is debatable) on the world stage USA is Russia's biggest rival and the hate for the US is much greater. I don't wanna go into politics or things that don't have anything to do with hockey but beating the US in anything is a big deal in Russia just as losing to the US is a big dagger to the heart.

I don't think you can call delay of game there, it's not like Quick knocked the net completely off, he went to make a save and the net barely got dislodged.

On a side note I never liked Radulov, but today I think all USA fans owe him a debt of gratitude. So if I'm permitted on behalf of all USA fans I would like to say: Thanks Sasha we couldn't have done it without you.

I know they would not've called Quick. A man can wish though :)

And you can have Radulov. Take him off our hands. PLEASE.

Not even if you paid me, well maybe if you paid me but then I would end up selling him to Canada. Edited by wings87

I guess I should have been clearer, by everything I didn't necessarily mean hockey. While in hockey they may hate Canada more(which is debatable) on the world stage USA is Russia's biggest rival and the hate for the US is much greater. I don't wanna go into politics or things that don't have anything to do with hockey but beating the US in anything is a big deal in Russia just as losing to the US is a big dagger to the heart.

Let me disagree with you there. Beating Canada in hockey IS a big deal in Russia. Losing to the US in the round robin game is not too important. Losing to them in an elimination game would be worse, but about as bad as losing to Sweden or Finland, and not as bad as losing to the Czechs or especially some minnow like France. (Yeah we did that last year in the WCH)

While in hockey they may hate Canada more(which is debatable)

No...it is not debatable, not even a little bit.

2. Anything less than a silver for the USA is a major upset. We are at worst the second best hockey team/country in the world.

I don't know, most experts have at least Canada and Sweden ahead of them. Russia, from what I can tell, has been ranked no better than 4th by most.

Let me disagree with you there. Beating Canada in hockey IS a big deal in Russia. Losing to the US in the round robin game is not too important. Losing to them in an elimination game would be worse, but about as bad as losing to Sweden or Finland, and not as bad as losing to the Czechs or especially some minnow like France. (Yeah we did that last year in the WCH)

Losing in hockey maybe, but losing to the US feeds into the bigger hatred the US and Russia have always had for each other. I agree with you that the game itself didn't mean a whole lot but losing to the US did. So let's not compare losing to the US team with losing to the Czechs, Fins, or especially France(not even in the knockout stage) it's not even close just like beating the US team would be a huge win for Russia. It wasn't the gold medal match but let's not minimize it either. The Cold War may have died down but with Putin coming back the Cold War has reignited again, but this forum is no place to talk about anything but hockey.

No...it is not debatable, not even a little bit.

I don't know, most experts have at least Canada and Sweden ahead of them. Russia, from what I can tell, has been ranked no better than 4th by most.

In general Russia doesn't like the US, they don't like losing to the US and love winning against the US. Which makes it debatable whether they hate to lose more to Canada or the US. Edited by wings87

Losing in hockey maybe, but losing to the US feeds into the bigger hatred the US and Russia have always had for each other. I agree with you that the game itself didn't mean a whole lot but losing to the US did. So let's not compare losing to the US team with losing to the Czechs, Fins, or especially France(not even in the knockout stage) it's not even close just like beating the US team would be a huge win for Russia. It wasn't the gold medal match but let's not minimize it either. The Cold War may have died down but with Putin coming back the Cold War has reignited again, but this forum is no place to talk about anything but hockey.

In general Russia doesn't like the US, they don't like losing to the US and love winning against the US. Which makes it debatable whether they hate to lose more to Canada or the US.

I'm sorry. Let's ask a hundred Russians who'd they hate to lose to in hockey more, US or Canada. I bet you 75%+ will say Canada. In winter sports in general, the US is not often prominent where Russians are competitive. So there's no real rivalry with the US in Winter Olympics. On geopolitical level it is different, but I don't really care about that particular pissing match.

Toby we are ahead of everyone but Canada. There are 200 US born players that have played in the NHL this year. Russia has 29. Of course this doesn't include the AHL, college, junior etc...... yes there are more playing in Russia itself, some of which can play here.

This only makes sense. The population of the US is much larger than Russia or Canada. We also are able to afford the game, which many countries can't.

But back to my first statement: anything less than the silver is a failure. The rest of the team (other than Canada) are very flawed in one way or another.

I'm sorry. Let's ask a hundred Russians who'd they hate to lose to in hockey more, US or Canada. I bet you 75%+ will say Canada. In winter sports in general, the US is not often prominent where Russians are competitive. So there's no real rivalry with the US in Winter Olympics. On geopolitical level it is different, but I don't really care about that particular pissing match.

I don't necessarily disagree with you about Canada but you are trying to compare US games with the a Fins and Czechs which is off. Really the only winter sports where Russia is competitive and US isn't is Biathlon and cross country, but in other sports where Russia is competitive they are either directly or indirectly competing with the US. And whether you care about the geopolitical pissing match as you called it or not doesn't matter since it does exist. But we won't agree and I'm tired so let's just agree to disagree and move on. Truce? :)

I don't necessarily disagree with you about Canada but you are trying to compare US games with the a Fins and Czechs which is off. Really the only winter sports where Russia is competitive and US isn't is Biathlon and cross country, but in other sports where Russia is competitive they are either directly or indirectly competing with the US. And whether you care about the geopolitical pissing match as you called it or not doesn't matter since it does exist. But we won't agree and I'm tired so let's just agree to disagree and move on. Truce? :)

I am debating with you not fighting. And in the winter sports where the US are good, Russia isn't. So the only sports where they compete on more or less equal footing historically were hockey (mens) figure skating (mens) and that's about it. I can't think of any more.

I am debating with you not fighting. And in the winter sports where the US are good, Russia isn't. So the only sports where they compete on more or less equal footing historically were hockey (mens) figure skating (mens) and that's about it. I can't think of any more.

I didn't think we where fighting, the truce remark was supposed to be a joke. But some other sports are skeleton, women's figure skating, short track and long track skating(the last two only last couple Olympics) Russia has been pouring money into the sports program so I'm sure pretty soon the US and Russia will be competitors in more sports.

Edited by wings87

I don't recall Russia every being much of a power in Short or Long track speed skating although they've improved greatly at both in anticipation of these games at home.

Until this Olympics Russia had a total of 1 medal in Skeleton, Russia also only has one female figure skater who has ever won an Olympic singles Medal.

When it comes to sports I don't think Russia has many western rivals, even with Canada the only real rivalry is in Hockey.

I see your point that in general Russia and the USA don't get along, but in the terms of sporting rivalry, and specifically hockey, Russia/USA doesn't begin to compare to Russia/Canada.

I don't recall Russia every being much of a power in Short or Long track speed skating although they've improved greatly at both in anticipation of these games at home.

Until this Olympics Russia had a total of 1 medal in Skeleton, Russia also only has one female figure skater who has ever won an Olympic singles Medal.

When it comes to sports I don't think Russia has many western rivals, even with Canada the only real rivalry is in Hockey.

I see your point that in general Russia and the USA don't get along, but in the terms of sporting rivalry, and specifically hockey, Russia/USA doesn't begin to compare to Russia/Canada.

While Russia has never been a powerhouse in any of these sports, my point is that with the influx of cash by the Russian government into the various sports programs, ( not to mention flat out buying athletes as is the case with the former South Korean short track star Victor Ahn) Russia and the US will be going head to head in more sports in the years to come. As far as figure skating goes even though Russia rarely wins anything other then man's or pair's medals they still believe that figure skating is their sport. Which is evidenced by a lot of the top coaches coming from former Soviet Republics.

In general the Russia Canada rivalry is bigger, but I believe it's a little divided.

Where as the older generation that remembers the Soviet and Canadian battles will always have a hatred toward Canada. The younger generation that doesn't quite have the same connection to the super series might see the US as a bigger rival. Also taking into account that not counting the 1980 miracle team the US team is somewhat of a newcomer to the rivalry but if games like today continue- US vs Russia might be on the way to surpassing Russia vs Canada. Of course I'm just guessing but that's what I believe.

Edited by wings87

While Russia has never been a powerhouse in any of these sports, my point is that with the influx of cash by the Russian government into the various sports programs, ( not to mention flat out buying athletes as is the case with the former South Korean short track star Victor Ahn) Russia and the US will be going head to head in more sports in the years to come. As far as figure skating goes even though Russia rarely wins anything other then man's or pair's medals they still believe that figure skating is their sport. Which is evidenced by a lot of the top coaches coming from former Soviet Republics.

In general the Russia Canada rivalry is bigger, but I believe it's a little divided.

Where as the older generation that remembers the Soviet and Canadian battles will always have a hatred toward Canada. The younger generation that doesn't quite have the same connection to the super series might see the US as a bigger rival. Also taking into account that not counting the 1980 miracle team the US team is somewhat of a newcomer to the rivalry but if games like today continue- US vs Russia might be on the way to surpassing Russia vs Canada. Of course I'm just guessing but that's what I believe.

Nobody is saying that the US can't become a rival to Russia in sports or in hockey specifically. Just that right now there really isn't much of a rivalry to speak of.

Today was the first time in Olympic history that the US has ever beaten Russia outside of North America. Russia historically has had their way with the US while their games with Canada have been far more competitive.

Basically its like you arguing that the Nashville Predators are/were bigger rivals to the Wings than the Chicago Blackhawks.

It has a lot to do with the Summit Series, but its not just an older generation thing, I wasn't born when the Summit Series happened, and Canada has had many more big games vs the US recently but if you asked me who Canada's biggest rival in hockey is, its unquestionably Russia.

Its more due to the fact that historically they are head and shoulders the best two hockey nations in the world. The US are on the right track though and their development of players is probably the best in the world right now, I'm not sure they'll ever surpass either as a rival but if they keep progressing like they are they could, and will certainly make a stronger case by winning a best on best tournament.

Is there anywhere at all to check out highlights of the Olympic Games??

You're probably best to try to get them on TV.

CBC and NBC aren't producing highlight packages for the Web because they both have the full game available for viewing.

I haven't seen NBC's format, but with CBC's you can use the timeline on the bottom to skip to goals, penalties and other flagged moments throughout the game.

Nobody is saying that the US can't become a rival to Russia in sports or in hockey specifically. Just that right now there really isn't much of a rivalry to speak of.

Today was the first time in Olympic history that the US has ever beaten Russia outside of North America. Russia historically has had their way with the US while their games with Canada have been far more competitive.

Basically its like you arguing that the Nashville Predators are/were bigger rivals to the Wings than the Chicago Blackhawks.

It has a lot to do with the Summit Series, but its not just an older generation thing, I wasn't born when the Summit Series happened, and Canada has had many more big games vs the US recently but if you asked me who Canada's biggest rival in hockey is, its unquestionably Russia.

Its more due to the fact that historically they are head and shoulders the best two hockey nations in the world. The US are on the right track though and their development of players is probably the best in the world right now, I'm not sure they'll ever surpass either as a rival but if they keep progressing like they are they could, and will certainly make a stronger case by winning a best on best tournament.

You're probably best to try to get them on TV.

CBC and NBC aren't producing highlight packages for the Web because they both have the full game available for viewing.

I haven't seen NBC's format, but with CBC's you can use the timeline on the bottom to skip to goals, penalties and other flagged moments throughout the game.

Let's say it like this, whether we agree US is a bigger rival to Russia or not, today's game was a big blow to Russia. Losing to the US in any format is unacceptable to their country, evidenced by the fact that Putin showed up. We are getting to the point where the Russia, Canada rivalry is more like the Wings, Toronto rivalry: Both teams want to beat the other badly but don't have the same intensity it once did, but due to the long history will always be big rivals like the Wings and Toronto.

I would compare the USA and Russia rivalry more to the Penguins and Wings rivalry: Its a newer rivalry with a shorter history but with plenty of sub-plots and intrigue.

But really what's stopping the US and Russian rivalry from becoming insane is the fact that the US team or the fans don't have any hate towards the Russian team, but Russian fans have plenty of Hate for the US. So right now it's a little one-sided but that doesn't diminish it's importance.

Throughly enjoyed the game tonight, great game by Quick, as a part time goalie, I really appreciate his style. Really dislike the Russians so yesterday was especially good for me. If I had to pick a USA olympian to be on the wings it would come down to Kesler or Backes, prob lean towards Kesler. Anyway enjoying the Austrian Norway game especially because its going my way bettingwise.

Miller in net today gives Quick the day off, I can see some lethargy from USA to start but I think they steamroll Kopitar and co.

Let's say it like this, whether we agree US is a bigger rival to Russia or not, today's game was a big blow to Russia. Losing to the US in any format is unacceptable to their country, evidenced by the fact that Putin showed up. We are getting to the point where the Russia, Canada rivalry is more like the Wings, Toronto rivalry: Both teams want to beat the other badly but don't have the same intensity it once did, but due to the long history will always be big rivals like the Wings and Toronto.

I would compare the USA and Russia rivalry more to the Penguins and Wings rivalry: Its a newer rivalry with a shorter history but with plenty of sub-plots and intrigue.

But really what's stopping the US and Russian rivalry from becoming insane is the fact that the US team or the fans don't have any hate towards the Russian team, but Russian fans have plenty of Hate for the US. So right now it's a little one-sided but that doesn't diminish it's importance.

Losing today to the US wasn't much of a blow to Russia at all. It was a round robin game that mattered only in regards to seeding. Putin attended the game because it was the only game of any consequence in Russia's pool. He'll likely be at all their medal round games and I'd be shocked if he wasn't there for the gold medal game if Russia makes it there.

In terms of dislike for a country you are absolutely right about Russian's feelings about the USA, but if you asked them which hockey team they hated more the US or Canada, Russian fans would vote overwhelmingly Canada as would their players. Even the US players would almost certainly say Canada is their biggest rival.

You're also right that Russia and Canada's rivalry has been somewhat dormant for a while and the comparison to the Leafs is a good one, but the Wings and Leafs are far bigger rivals than the Wings and Penguins are, and Russia USA isn't even on that level since they've never met in a championship game before. Historically speaking there are several bigger rivalries in international hockey than US vs Russia. I doubt it would make the top 5.

If you're looking for more recent Olympic rivals for the 3 teams, you'd still have trouble making a case either Canada or USA has had much of a rivalry with Russia. Both have faced them just once in an elimination game with both winning, US 3-2 in Salt Lake City, and Canada 7-3 in Vancouver. In the 4 NHL Olympics Russia's biggest rival would probably be the Czech Republic who they've faced 3 times in elimination games including 2 medal games or Finland who they've faced in elimination games twice. As far as Canada and USA are concerned their biggest recent rivals are each other considering their 2 gold medal games.

With Austria beating Norway the bottom of the standings are starting to become clearer.

• Slovakia will finish 12th if they lose to Russia by more than 1 goal. The only other team who could finish here is Norway.
  • Norway will finish 11th unless Slovakia beats Russia, forces overtime with Russia or loses by only 1 goal and scores at least 1 goal of their own. In that case they'd finish 12th
  • Latvia will finish 10th unless Slovakia forces overtime, in which case they'll finish in 11th and Slovakia would finish 10th
  • Austria will finish 9th unless Slovenia loses to the US by 7 or more goals.
  • Slovenia will finish 8th unless they lose by more than 7 goals to fall to 9th. If they win vs the US they have a few potential seedings. 3rd if Russia also lost, 5th if Russia wins, or 6th if they win in overtime. Just forcing OT would move them up to 7th.
  • Czech Republic will finish 7th unless Slovenia wins or forces OT vs the US, in which case they'd be 8th
  • Sweden will finish 1st if Canada vs Finland goes to OT, otherwise they'll be 2nd
  • USA can finish as low as 7th if they lose to Slovenia in regulation. They'll likely finish 2nd or 3rd depending on Canada vs Finland. If that game goes to OT there's a very good chance the US will finish 2nd. A Canada win in OT would only require the US to win by 2 over Slovenia to take 2nd. If Finland were to win in OT, the US would need to win by 4 goals vs Slovenia, or win by 3 goals but score 4 more goals than Finland gets vs Canada today to move up.
  • Russia could take 3rd if Slovenia beats USA and they win their game. They could potentially finish as low as 7th should both they and the US lose their final game.
  • Switzerland will need huge blowout between Finland and Canada or for both the US and Russia to lose their final game to move up from 5th spot. Should Russia and the US both win they will fall to 6th
  • Finland will finish 1st with a win over Canada in regulation, an overtime win would put them in 2nd or 3rd depending on the US vs Slovenia game and goal differential between themselves and USA. An OT loss would drop them to 4th unless Russia beat Slovakia by 7 or more goals. Losing in regulation combined with a Russia win would put them in 5th.
  • Canada is in the exact same spot as Finland, except in their case an OT loss would require Russia to beat Slovakia by 5 or more goals.
Edited by FlashyG

I don't see any reason why the USA can't defeat Slovenia. it is hockey after all, so who knows but I anticipate a decisive victory.

As much as I love the Wings and the fact that they are primarily on the Swedish roster, the patriot in me can't help but pull for the United States in this competition.

It's been a great tournament so far, looking forward to seeing how it develops.

Personally I really have to thank you, I'm now a big fan of Curling especially the Russian curling team too *g*

Wondering if Radulov will get benched guy cost Russia the game. If he does that in the semi finals...wow.

Gotta feel bad for Norway, generation change is coming and they don't have a lot of prospects thanks to too many foreigners playing in the norwegian league, so young players aren't getting a fair chance nor enough icetime. Whats funny to me is, how everyone thought Vanek would be the big star on team Austria so far it's been Grabner. For Canada I'd give it to Doughty/Benn they are playing marvelous.

Pasha's playing very good so far,but Slovaks pick it up defensively at last.It's a joy to watch Hossa and Tatar on the same playing good 2 way game :)

What? Tatar...playing defense? Everybody knows that Tatar can't play defense. Just ask Babs.