• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
MabusIncarnate

Official 2014 Olympic Hockey Thread (Admin warning #316)

Rate this topic

Like drawing Norway, Austria and an absolutely depleted Finland in group play?

Reading other forums (specifically HF), a large majority of USA fans were cheering for Canada to win in regulation so they wouldn't have to play Canada unless each team made the Gold Medal game.

Just going off what people are saying from your country is all.

Right, cause that worked out so well the last time...

Well here's hoping this time around they award the gold based on past achievement. If not, this time next week you boys will be watching curling, waving your little Canadian flags, and endlessly repeating "four years ago we were the best in the world".

Well here's hoping this time around they award the gold based on past achievement. If not, this time next week you boys will be watching curling, waving your little Canadian flags, and endlessly repeating "four years ago we were the best in the world".

Last USA gold medal was 1980. I'd take 4 years rather than 34. I guess what I'm saying is that when Canada wins it, it's not a big enough deal to make a movie. :cheesy: Kick ass movie though.

I don't think Canada has looked anywhere near as bad as some of you make it seem, or that the US has looked much better.

Defensively Canada is playing FAR better than I've ever seen them on the big ice, they're getting tremendous amounts of offence from their defence as well and their goalies have both been steady. The US have been very similar, Quick has been great and their defence has been solid although I don't think they're as good at contributing offensively, that's easily been made up for by the strong play of their forwards though, especially Kessel.

Canada's forward group should have scored a few more goals but they've faced some better goaltending, which can, and probably will happen to everyone at some point. I'd rather deal with it in the round robin than I would in the medal round. (although I think Canada is in for another tough game if Switzerland gets by Latvia)

When it comes to comparing their pools I don't think the gap is that big either. The American's pool had a better bottom 2 teams, and they looked a lot better vs their minnows than Canada did vs theirs. On the other hand I personally think Finland is a better team than Russia and that Canada looked better vs Finland than the US did vs Russia.

I thought Russia outplayed the Americans for the majority of that game, but Quick played great and T.J. Oshie was the definition of clutch in the shootout. Canada controlled the flow of play for the whole game vs Finland but Rask was outstanding and we don't have a forward on a hot streak like Kessel's.

I won't be the least bit shocked if the US goes on to win gold, or if they go through Canada to get it, but the gap between all the top teams is so small that in a single elimination format its anyone's gold medal.

One thing I have to hand to fans of the USA you are much more optimistic and positive about your team than most Canadians.

It seems odd to me that I'm finding myself defending team Canada to countrymen when they are 3-0 without their best players hitting their stride and having allowed only 2 goals so far.

Makes me wonder what they expected from the round robin? 10-0 wins vs everyone and the rest of the world shrinking away in fear...Who do they think we are...the Dutch Speedskating team?

One thing I have to hand to fans of the USA you are much more optimistic and positive about your team than most Canadians.

It seems odd to me that I'm finding myself defending team Canada to countrymen when they are 3-0 without their best players hitting their stride and having allowed only 2 goals so far.

Makes me wonder what they expected from the round robin? 10-0 wins vs everyone and the rest of the world shrinking away in fear...Who do they think we are...the Dutch Speedskating team?

That's the main problem. They need to hit their stride before facing a hot USA team. It's midseason, they should be in midseason form. The line juggling is one of the main issues I believe. No chemistry.

That's the main problem. They need to hit their stride before facing a hot USA team. It's midseason, they should be in midseason form. The line juggling is one of the main issues I believe. No chemistry.

I don't disagree that we need to get more from our forwards, but instead of worrying about their lack of production in a tournament we're undefeated in. Why aren't more of us looking at it optimistically, recognizing that we still have a lot of room to improve despite having won our group and only allowing 2 goals.

I'll complain and second guess like the rest if we lose, but I'd rather just enjoy the tournament while its going well.

I don't disagree that we need to get more from our forwards, but instead of worrying about their lack of production in a tournament we're undefeated in. Why aren't more of us looking at it optimistically, recognizing that we still have a lot of room to improve despite having won our group and only allowing 2 goals.

I'll complain and second guess like the rest if we lose, but I'd rather just enjoy the tournament while its going well.

True. I was only put off by today's game really. Kinda lame on the offensive side other than Doughty. Our D is very very good though. That could be what wins us gold.

I think canada has a very good chance of winning it all, i mean all Crosby has to is fall and poof, its instant PP for can'eh'dians...

Teemu is that you?

Even if Crosby went down easily on that play today it was as blatant interference as they come.

You can't throw a body check on a guy when he's nowhere near the puck. Besides, if you actually look at the stats I wouldn't say Canada has had any help from the referee's, they've spent by far the least time with the man advantage of all the contenders, almost half as much time as the next closest to them.

Penalty Minutes Against

Finland 12

Canada 16

Russia 20

USA 20

Sweden 26

Penalty Minutes For

Sweden 30

Russia 28

USA 18

Finland 18

Canada 10

Here's two things, 1) That interference on Crosby was an interference, and that's coming from an American; 2) What makes Team USA exciting is Team USA...this year, how we're playing. I don't blame Canadian fans for drawing on their rich history, why wouldn't you? But, objectively looking at both teams, ours has played better. That's why we're excited. It always rings a bit untrue when I hear "we'll win because we've always been good" vs. "We'll win because we're playing good right now". It's just a different perspective, and I'm not foolish enough to think that most Americans wouldn't be acting the exact same way if we had the history Canada has. We don't, which is why we rely on how our team is currently playing...and currently we've playing VERY well against better teams than Canada has played.

Our confidence in team Canada has nothing to do with our "rich history" and some belief of "we'll win because we've always been good". Don't know where you've heard that.

We're confident because, on paper, we have by far the best overall team. Hands down. No question. How that translates to on-ice success is another story.

So far the USA have been the best team, but there are obviously some buts as with every team:

The game against Russia should have been lost, the no goal was a gift. Other than the game againsat Russia they've also had an easy road in the RR. Slovakia and Slovenia are not exactly powerhouse teams. Same can be said for Canada versus Norway and Austria, their only test so far has been Finland and they did beat them although not in an impressive fashion. The difference between these two teams to me is obvious, for Canada the defense has come through and is carrying their struggling forward group as for the US the offense just keeps on producing, especially Kessel.

Anyway, it's obvious that some of the Canadian stars such as Crosby, MSL, Kunitz (wow does he suck), Tavares need to step up their games in a huge way. The game against Finland has been a perfect example why you need a guy like Lucic, he can create space and force his way to the net, because of his immense frame. Something I've noticed is, that Canada is having the same problems as the Wings, overthinking, overpassing and not crashing the net, which is very interesting given the amount of talent Canada has. Imagine if Canada would have picked Neal also, they would have had to not only think about Kunitz but also about him, doged a bullet there.

Russia also hasn't been on top of their game but their defense seems to be better than I thought at first. Sweden is - no surprise - having trouble with scoring and creating chances but I wouldn't count them out either.

Another team nobody seems to be talking about are the Swiss, their defense and goaltending has been stellar so far that's certainly a team I wouldn't underestimate they are for sure able to pull off an upset against some of the better teams.

Edited by frankgrimes

Here's two things, 1) That interference on Crosby was an interference, and that's coming from an American; 2) What makes Team USA exciting is Team USA...this year, how we're playing. I don't blame Canadian fans for drawing on their rich history, why wouldn't you? But, objectively looking at both teams, ours has played better. That's why we're excited. It always rings a bit untrue when I hear "we'll win because we've always been good" vs. "We'll win because we're playing good right now". It's just a different perspective, and I'm not foolish enough to think that most Americans wouldn't be acting the exact same way if we had the history Canada has. We don't, which is why we rely on how our team is currently playing...and currently we've playing VERY well against better teams than Canada has played.

USA is playing very well, but they aren't playing better teams.

Canada has played teams that are ranked #2, #9 and #15

The US has played teams that are ranked #3, #8 and #17

Its hard to say either has it any tougher than the other.

I also haven't read a single person say Canada will win because we've always been good. I also haven't read anyone saying Canada has played better than the US. I can however understand people thinking Canada will win because as Son of a Wing said, we have the best team on paper. That doesn't really mean much, as the games aren't played on paper, but if Canada wasn't a team to be feared most American fans wouldn't have been cheering for a Canada win in Regulation or a Finnish win in Overtime so they could avoid having to play them until a medal match-up

Last thing they need is another big guy that can't skate. Add Phil Kessel or Patrick Kane to Finland's team and that game isn't even close. Finland just doesn't have any scorers, otherwise, I thought they outplayed Canada. Thornton's a great passer, and he's awesome on the NHL ice, but in big ice I think he struggles just as much as the rest of them.

Nope, that's not it. If the guy can find passing lanes in the NHL, he'd shred on big ice. I'll keep looking, thanks.

Can anyone else figure out why Jumbo Joe wasn't picked?

It's got to be that Stevie, KH, and Babs think he's a douchebag and don't want him around, and wouldn't really miss him with the roster they have, any way.

Edited by T.Low

Nope, that's not it. If the guy can find passing lanes in the NHL, he'd shred on big ice. I'll keep looking, thanks.

Can anyone else figure out why Jumbo Joe wasn't picked?

It's got to be that Stevie, KH, and Babs think he's a douchebag and don't want him around, and wouldn't really miss him with the roster they have, any way.

Joe didn't make it because they only had a certain # of center spots and they wanted guys with better foot speed for the bigger ice.

That's also why Eric Staal and Milan Lucic were left out. If these games were on NHL sized rinks I think you'd see a very different line-up.

Apparently they learned from Nagano and Turin that you need a different style of team for different sized rinks.

Last thing they need is another big guy that can't skate. Add Phil Kessel or Patrick Kane to Finland's team and that game isn't even close. Finland just doesn't have any scorers, otherwise, I thought they outplayed Canada. Thornton's a great passer, and he's awesome on the NHL ice, but in big ice I think he struggles just as much as the rest of them.

How can you say that ? Canada's defense has shut everything down except for two deflections. They haven't played USA so there is no telling that adding Kessel and Kane to Finland would have made any difference, those two can be shut down by an elite defense.

To me the difference between Canada and the US is that Canada is a collection of great players, where the US players were chosen to play specific roles, at least that was the non a-hole reason given for leaving Ryan off the team. Canada hasn't been as sharp in their games, though, despite looking so dominant on paper. Maybe that's because they figure they don't have to be at the top of their game for the round robin and they'll get up for the elimination stage, which is looking like it'll probably be Switzerland and then USA to get to the medal game. I that's they're thought process, it might bite them in the ass though.

Sweden is the top seed because they're the only team that won all their games in regulation. They don't have an easy path though, they're probably going to play Russia or Finland to get to the medal round. FInland showed that they're a pretty good team in their first 3 games, and Russia can still pull their heads out of their asses and be dangerous.

hmm. The way I see it thus far is that no team has metaphorically stuck their hand up and emphatically said 'I'm the best team here'.

Sweden have been brought down mightily by the loss of Z, and thus struggled to win 2 games they should have cruised. Lucky for them I reckon they've got a ticket to the SF, because I can't see them losing to either Austria or Slovenia.

USA look great, but, IMO they got badly outplayed by the Russians, and were lucky really to win that game.

Canada can't find their offence and don't seem to be clicking cohesively as a group. That said they're still my favourites - too much talent on that team.

Russia I can't quite fathom. Their D has been much better than I expected, as has Bobrovsky in net. But there's something about them so far that makes me uneasy. It feels like they're forcing it maybe? I just don't see them getting by the Fins in the QFs if both teams get that far.

Finland I thought, were dead and buried when they announced they'd lost Fil, Koivu and later Barkov, but wow did they ever push the Canadiens. If they play this organised and well defensively, they'd give anyone a hard time. They're currently my underdogs.

Slovenia, Swiss, Russia, Czech Republic Advance

Sweden beats Slovenia, Russia beats Finland, Canada beats Swiss, USA beats Czech

Russia beats Sweden to advance to the Gold Medal game

USA beats Canada to advance to Gold medal game

Sweden beats Canada for Bronze

Russia beats USA for Gold

...of course I would love for the Swiss to upset Canada...Hiller is lights out!

Ranking the Czechs ahead of Sweden, USA and Canada is crap. So is Slovakia at 6th ahead of the US. Don't even get me started on Finland being 2nd.

esteef

Finland has won a medal in 4 of the last 5 Olympics. No other country can claim that. Maybe people should stop underestimating them...