• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
MabusIncarnate

Official 2014 Olympic Hockey Thread (Admin warning #316)

Rate this topic

I think he is saying that because those "other" teams rankings are such because of the "other" teams they played allowed them to have higher rankings. Those are actually "seeds" not rankings anyway.

Lets break it down this way instead of using watered down seeding:

Canada played Norway (3-1 win) Austria (6-0 win) and Finland (2-1 OT win.) Looking at those 3 team the only challenge should have been Finland, if you consider the amount of NHL talent on each of those team. As we can see, they almost lost to Finland and the only "non-challenge" was Austria.

USA played Slovakia (7-1 win) Russia (3-2 win SO) and Slovenia (5-1 win.) Looking at those 3 teams, the only Non-Challenge should have been Slovenia (NHL talent-wise) yet they rolled through Slovakia pretty good, almost lost to a great Russian team and rolled through a Slovenian team that played out of their element considering the lack NHL talent on it. They upset the Slovakians who were well represented by the NHL.

That all being said, USA had the tougher division NHL-talent-wise and outside of Russia (who should have given them fits anyway) pretty much rolled through the NHL talent. Canada had the easiest division of any of the top 4 teams (RUS, USA, SWE, CAN) and only rolled through 1 non-NHL talent team. They held their breaths against Norway and struggled mightily against Finland.

Canada's defense scares me, but other than that, they don't pose a threat to the USA. Not that they have a team of non-talented players, on the contrary, but it's like the are having issues gelling at the moment. If they can get that problem taken care of, then they will be scary. Goalies are no contest, USA has, above and beyond, the better goalies. (as long as they don't have to play Howard.)

So, to sum up the "rankings are crap" statement, considering the amount of non-nhl talent in Canada's division, they should have been 3-0 and outscored the other by 4 and 5 goals. USA had the hardest division and other than Russia (who we all expected to be a great team) pretty much had no problem winning and by large margins. Also, since there are only 12 teams in the tourney, I would say that could be another reason why he said those rankings are crap.

I'd like to know which #2 ranked team Canada played though? Finland? No way were the ranked #2 out of the 12 teams...I give Finland a #5 and the other two #11 and #12. I give Russia at least #3 (at the start of the Tourney) and Slovakia is top 10 with Slovenia between #9/#10.

Top four teams are by far: USA, CAN, RUS, SWE followed by FIN, SLV, CZE, SUI rounded out with SLO, NOR, LAT, AUS...SUI is actually has played better than a #7/#8 team and could cause some problems if they advance to play Canada on Wed. Hiller has a 0.00 GAA right now. They only allowed 1 goal by the top ranked Swede's. Their problem is scoring though.

So Canada has played a #5, #11 and #12 ranked team, while USA has played a #3, #6 and #9...

Edited by LeftWinger

It was the same song and dance after the round robin last Olympics. Canada struggling, USA looking fantastic. Canada is doomed, USA for gold. Canada has no chance against USA, yadda yadda yadda. We'll see who the best teams are once being eliminated is a possible outcome.

is Flashy saying that American's were cheering for a Canada regulation win so we don't have to meet them in a medal round? Please....

I was rooting for a outright Canadian lose. I don't want the Canadians to win anything ever. I could care less if we have to play them or not, because nothing is better than watching the Canadian teams lose. I have already explained that the ONLY thing that scares me about the Canadians is their D. Their O is incohesive and their goalies are nowhere near as good as Quick/Miller... As it stands, if all "top" teams advance, it will be USA v. Canada to see who goes to Gold round or Bronze round. Nothing is guaranteed and the USA could possibly lose to a very talented CZE or a SLV team set on revenge. Canada is going to have fits with the Swiss if they aren't somehow upset by Latvia.

But Flashy, to say the US is trying to avoid Canada is crap. I would love to eliminate them in whichever round we get to play them in, but like stated above, I want to see Canada lose all the time, against whoever, because it is great to see the crying that comes after and the whining... I hope to see them in the semi's, but they better get their O together because compared to the rest of their preliminary games, the USA is Omnipotent.... (not to be confused with omnipotent-hudler)

and that, my friend Flashy, is the Juck ******* Pott...

is Flashy saying that American's were cheering for a Canada regulation win so we don't have to meet them in a medal round? Please....

I was rooting for a outright Canadian lose. I don't want the Canadians to win anything ever. I could care less if we have to play them or not, because nothing is better than watching the Canadian teams lose. I have already explained that the ONLY thing that scares me about the Canadians is their D. Their O is incohesive and their goalies are nowhere near as good as Quick/Miller... As it stands, if all "top" teams advance, it will be USA v. Canada to see who goes to Gold round or Bronze round. Nothing is guaranteed and the USA could possibly lose to a very talented CZE or a SLV team set on revenge. Canada is going to have fits with the Swiss if they aren't somehow upset by Latvia.

But Flashy, to say the US is trying to avoid Canada is crap. I would love to eliminate them in whichever round we get to play them in, but like stated above, I want to see Canada lose all the time, against whoever, because it is great to see the crying that comes after and the whining... I hope to see them in the semi's, but they better get their O together because compared to the rest of their preliminary games, the USA is Omnipotent.... (not to be confused with omnipotent-hudler)

and that, my friend Flashy, is the Juck f****** Pott...

Everyone hates a winner :ninja:

marcaractac - I don't think that anyone is saying that Canada has no chance against the USA, but to say Canada has played better teams in the prelims is in fact crap. No way Finland is better than Russia, Austria better than Slovenia or Norway better than Slovakia... The USA most definitely had the harder schedule and performed much better than Canada did against their opponents... that being said, Slovenia beating Slovakia and Canada struggling against Finland proves that anything can happen. Canada absolutely has a chance against USA, but what is being said is that you better sharpen up your game because the USA are **** and ass better than anyone you have face yet and it isn't going to be easy beating them...if I were you I would worry about getting past the Swiss and their lights out defense ad goaltending before you just assume you are playing the USA. That is if Swiss advances, if Latvia pulls an upset, then you should have a cakewalk right to the semi's where hopefully the USA will join you, but as good as we are, we aren't looking past our next round. Czechs' are great and the Slovaks will be looking to avenge the earlier 7-1 route... That being said, the Czech-Slovak game should be great! Talk about playing for country bragging rights!

everyone hates a winner...only when that winner thinks they have entitlement and everyone else is not worthy of even playing the sport in the same rink as they... Finland was a wake up call, get your act together or you will not be leaving Sochi with as much as a Bronze... then the tears and excuses will flow!

marcaractac - I don't think that anyone is saying that Canada has no chance against the USA, but to say Canada has played better teams in the prelims is in fact crap. No way Finland is better than Russia, Austria better than Slovenia or Norway better than Slovakia... The USA most definitely had the harder schedule and performed much better than Canada did against their opponents... that being said, Slovenia beating Slovakia and Canada struggling against Finland proves that anything can happen. Canada absolutely has a chance against USA, but what is being said is that you better sharpen up your game because the USA are **** and ass better than anyone you have face yet and it isn't going to be easy beating them...if I were you I would worry about getting past the Swiss and their lights out defense ad goaltending before you just assume you are playing the USA. That is if Swiss advances, if Latvia pulls an upset, then you should have a cakewalk right to the semi's where hopefully the USA will join you, but as good as we are, we aren't looking past our next round. Czechs' are great and the Slovaks will be looking to avenge the earlier 7-1 route... That being said, the Czech-Slovak game should be great! Talk about playing for country bragging rights!

All I said is we have simply yet to see who the best team is. I'm not here to argue about who played the more difficult teams. It's foolish lol. All that matters is the games going forward, not the games that have already happened.

I'm not writing off any team here. I simply said we will see who the best teams are when it comes to avoiding elimination. That's what brings out the best.

If you guys want to know why people want Canada to lose at hockey, just read this thread. The entitlement runs deep. I've read several posts that have already awarded Canada gold so I don't even know why they're still playing the games since nobody else even has a chance. Talk about rose-coloured glasses.

I'm with LeftWinger, I want Canada to lose every chance they get, BECAUSE of the entitlement. Having said that, I definitely want to play Canada in this tournament so I can see the maple tears fall from the heavens (and so there are no excuses). I'd prefer it was for gold, but I'll take a ticket to the gold on their backs.

The US can win this and so can Canada, but they play the games for a reason.

How many essay-length posts are we going to see detailing "Canada's easy match-ups" and "American's score sooo much more!"

It's getting old and it screams of insecurity. Let's see some elimination games and then we can all chirp if our teams eliminate each other.

If you guys want to know why people want Canada to lose at hockey, just read this thread. The entitlement runs deep. I've read several posts that have already awarded Canada gold so I don't even know why they're still playing the games since nobody else even has a chance. Talk about rose-coloured glasses.

I'm with LeftWinger, I want Canada to lose every chance they get, BECAUSE of the entitlement. Having said that, I definitely want to play Canada in this tournament so I can see the maple tears fall from the heavens (and so there are no excuses). I'd prefer it was for gold, but I'll take a ticket to the gold on their backs.

The US can win this and so can Canada, but they play the games for a reason.

All I've been seeing is the fact that USA should have no problem beating Canada. I guess people will read into whatever they want from this thread, which is why I'm just gonna enjoy the games rather than sit here and argue with all the psychics here lol.

Cheers to that! But, in no possible scenario would I ever wish Canada a win...I compare that to routing against Colorado back in the day to lose every chance they get...especially if it were an upset!

(that being said, I am sure there are plenty of Canadian fans who feel the same about the USA) Nothing wrong with either fan, that is just country pride!

BTW, I find it very hard to root for the players on team USA because of who they are and what they mean to me in the NHL, but I so feel the need to root for the USA. That also being said, if you go back and look, I did pick Russia to beat the USA in the Gold Round.

Edited by LeftWinger

Dont know if anybody touched on this yet, but it was great to see that Kopecky is out the remained of the Olympics due to a headshot.

If theres anyone that deserves to get his lights knocked out, its him.

All I've been seeing is the fact that USA should have no problem beating Canada. I guess people will read into whatever they want from this thread, which is why I'm just gonna enjoy the games rather than sit here and argue with all the psychics here lol.

Based on the way the teams have played, would you disagree? I wouldn't say "no problem", but Team USA can certainly beat Canada, just as Team Canada can certainly beat Team USA. Team USA has room to improve (and needs to) but even you said yourself "it's just the RR games", to me, that's an attempt to justify sub par play on the part of Team Canada. Everyone should be just as pissed about that as they are at Franzen for air-mailing the regular season. The games DO matter.

I agree there is a difference (see: USA beating Canada in RR in 2010), but Canada's play is not exactly confidence building, which is why Flashy is having to defend Team Canada against even Canadians. Because it's true.

Edited by rrasco

Saying the US wants to avoid Canada in these rounds is akin to saying the Wings wanted to avoid the Avalanche anytime before say 2005. Hockey is "Canada's Game", so it stands to reason anyone would want to meet up with Canada at any point. I'd rather it be for the gold, but matchups aren't working out that way.

Dont know if anybody touched on this yet, but it was great to see that Kopecky is out the remained of the Olympics due to a headshot.

If theres anyone that deserves to get his lights knocked out, its him.

Yeah, they showed the hit yesterday during the US/Slovenia game. It was a Slovenian, and he was still playing.

and that, my friend Flashy, is the Juck f****** Pott...

It's not crap. He is saying the exact same thing I said. He is also a member at HF like myself, he probably read the exact same posts I was reading from a lot of American's. Whether you like it or not, your country doesn't want to play Canada because it is the toughest competition for you guys before the gold medal game, and the chances of you being eliminated are a lot higher / vice versa.

As for goaltending, we aren't really concerned, we have only given up 2 goals the entire tournament so far. If the forwards getting clicking it will be a harder tournament than what you think. Please focus on USA, because you clearly have no idea what kind of team Canada is.

Edited by darkmanx

It's not crap. He is saying the exact same thing I said. He is also a member at HF like myself, he probably read the exact same posts I was reading from a lot of American's. Whether you like it or not, your country doesn't want to play Canada because it is the toughest competition for you guys, and the chances of you being eliminated are a lot higher.

As for goaltending, we aren't really concerned, we have only given up 2 goals the entire tournament so far. If the forwards getting clicking it will be a harder tournament than what you think. Please focus on USA, because you clearly have no idea what kind of team Canada is.

Not this 'Murican. What defines a country, the posters on HF? Let me ask you, does Canada want to play USA?

To be frank, I'd rather beat Canada than win gold, BECAUSE they are the toughest competition. There, I said it.

Son of a Wing: I can see your point a bit, but something tells me that if the roles were reversed and Canada scored all those goals and played NHL talent teams as good as the USA did, then the USA struggled with offense and barely beat a Finnish team AND a Norwegian team. I think Canadian fans would be stating post after post how dominate the Canadian offense was so far in the tourney...

Also, just how funny would you find it if the USA barely beat Norway? Fact is, Canada was given an easy ride so far and they made it bumpy. Bring on Friday is what I have to say. If USA is lucky enough to not get upset and make it there that is. It seems you guys are already waiting for us there, even though you haven't played the quarter final game yet...do you want the IIHF to just cancel it because it's pointless to play anyway?

It's post like yours that makes me laugh with glee when Canada loses. No team is entitled to the Gold, not USA, not Russia and in no reality or alternate reality especially not Canada. If USA and Canada meet on Friday, your guys better play better than they did the first three games, or it won't even be a game...that is all we are saying.

To put it simply, so far, the USA has played better than expected and Canada has played worse. Simple. Unless you are saying Canada just coasted through the prelims and now the real s*** comes becomes now it means something...bring it.

Here is a guarantee, if USA beats Canada, the tears and excuses will fall for the next four years, if Canada beats USA the sense of entitlement will grow more than Bill Gates' bank account...

I think back in the 90's a question was asked is there any fans worse than Av's fans....yep.

Based on the way the teams have played, would you disagree? I wouldn't say "no problem", but Team USA can certainly beat Canada, just as Team Canada can certainly beat Team USA. Team USA has room to improve (and needs to) but even you said yourself "it's just the RR games", to me, that's an attempt to justify sub par play on the part of Team Canada. Everyone should be just as pissed about that as they are at Franzen for air-mailing the regular season. The games DO matter.

I agree there is a difference (see: USA beating Canada in RR in 2010), but Canada's play is not exactly confidence building, which is why Flashy is having to defend Team Canada against even Canadians. Because it's true.

Of course USA can CAN beat Canada. Some people on here act as if it is already in the bag, when neither team has even made the semis yet. This isn't women's hockey. Nobody is disagreeing with the fact that USA can beat Canada. But like you said, Canada can beat USA as well. We won't know unless it happens.

I also didn't say it's "just the RR games". All the games are important. But I'm sure any hockey fans know that all the teams will have to take it to another level to continue from here on out. I just have confidence that Canada will bring that out in their next game. By no means does that guarantee they medal. I just think it is silly to look at the round robin games and use that to try and dictate how the rest of the tournament will play out. Hell, in the past teams that didn't get the bye ended up with an advantage because of it. So who knows what will happen. Arguing over the possible outcome is just foolish, which is the only point I've been trying to make.

Not this 'Murican. What defines a country, the posters on HF? Let me ask you, does Canada want to play USA?

To be frank, I'd rather beat Canada than win gold, BECAUSE they are the toughest competition. There, I said it.

I take a majority over a couple, sorry but more stats is better then some. Also, I am not discrediting USA, in fact go read some of my previous posts you get a better idea.

Son of a Wing: I can see your point a bit, but something tells me that if the roles were reversed and Canada scored all those goals and played NHL talent teams as good as the USA did, then the USA struggled with offense and barely beat a Finnish team AND a Norwegian team. I think Canadian fans would be stating post after post how dominate the Canadian offense was so far in the tourney...

Also, just how funny would you find it if the USA barely beat Norway? Fact is, Canada was given an easy ride so far and they made it bumpy. Bring on Friday is what I have to say. If USA is lucky enough to not get upset and make it there that is. It seems you guys are already waiting for us there, even though you haven't played the quarter final game yet...do you want the IIHF to just cancel it because it's pointless to play anyway?

It's post like yours that makes me laugh with glee when Canada loses. No team is entitled to the Gold, not USA, not Russia and in no reality or alternate reality especially not Canada. If USA and Canada meet on Friday, your guys better play better than they did the first three games, or it won't even be a game...that is all we are saying.

To put it simply, so far, the USA has played better than expected and Canada has played worse. Simple. Unless you are saying Canada just coasted through the prelims and now the real s*** comes becomes now it means something...bring it.

Here is a guarantee, if USA beats Canada, the tears and excuses will fall for the next four years, if Canada beats USA the sense of entitlement will grow more than Bill Gates' bank account...

I think back in the 90's a question was asked is there any fans worse than Av's fans....yep.

These kinds of posts are funny because what it tells me is that you didn't watch the game, and only looked at the box score.

Of course USA can CAN beat Canada. Some people on here act as if it is already in the bag, when neither team has even made the semis yet. This isn't women's hockey. Nobody is disagreeing with the fact that USA can beat Canada. But like you said, Canada can beat USA as well. We won't know unless it happens.

I also didn't say it's "just the RR games". All the games are important. But I'm sure any hockey fans know that all the teams will have to take it to another level to continue from here on out. I just have confidence that Canada will bring that out in their next game. By no means does that guarantee they medal. I just think it is silly to look at the round robin games and use that to try and dictate how the rest of the tournament will play out. Hell, in the past teams that didn't get the bye ended up with an advantage because of it. So who knows what will happen. Arguing over the possible outcome is just foolish, which is the only point I've been trying to make.

Bingo.

As for people (not gonna single anyone out) hinting towards Canadians being the worst fans in hockey, I guess you all now know how people feel about most Red Wings fans. Talk about the pot calling the kettle black when it comes to entitlement.

It's also funny how the way a lot of people here are acting towards this tournament goes exactly against what the Olympics are supposed to represent in the first place :lol:

Of course, we won't! That's why they play the games and why we watch.

You implied it when you said, "We'll see who the best teams are once being eliminated is a possible outcome." As if, with the absence of elimination as an outcome, the game doesn't matter.

I also didn't mean to single you out, you were just one of the most recent posts, there are a lot of posts I've wanted to reply to but by the time I get to seeing the recorded games are buried 5-10 pages back.

I take a majority over a couple, sorry but more stats is better then some. Also, I am not discrediting USA, in fact go read some of my previous posts you get a better idea.

A majority of Canadians have discredited the USA though.

Of course, we won't! That's why they play the games and why we watch.

You implied it when you said, "We'll see who the best teams are once being eliminated is a possible outcome." As if, with the absence of elimination as an outcome, the game doesn't matter.

I also didn't mean to single you out, you were just one of the most recent posts, there are a lot of posts I've wanted to reply to but by the time I get to seeing the recorded games are buried 5-10 pages back.

A majority of Canadians have discredited the USA though.

No, I implied that teams take it to another level when being eliminated is possible. Which is the absolute truth.

A majority of Americans have been discrediting Canadians as well. That is what is making everyone arguing so silly lol

I have no idea what kind of team Canada is? It's the same kind of team as the USA is, a bunch of All Star NHL players...putting a Canadian sweater on Ryan Getzlaf doesn't make him any different of a player when he has a Ducks sweater on. Same can be said for Cam Fowler fort the USA.

You gave up two goals all tourney thus far, true, but you barely beat Norway and Finland. We gave up 2 goals to Russia, arguably the 3rd best team in the Olympics. You gave up 2 goals total to Finland and Norway (snicker) all while scoring 11, 6 of which came against Austria (snicker snicker.) We only gave up 4 total and scored, ready? 15 all against NHL laden teams with NHL goaltenders...

This is all meaningless, but it was one of your fellow Canadian fans who first posted that the reason Canada has struggled is that they have played higher ranked teams...which its obvious that that excuse has been blown out of the water.

Team USA and Team Canada are basically the same team. So to say I don't know what kind of team Canada is, is just wrong on all aspects. Team USA just seems to be gelling better and that could be the factor that makes the difference this year.