• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
MabusIncarnate

Official 2014 Olympic Hockey Thread (Admin warning #316)

Rate this topic

Man Switzerland put on a show in the second period, if they keep this up they are going to come back and win this thing. Don't know why but I have a softspot for them and Sweden.

That's cause Sweden is awesome and Wing laden.

Well, Switzerland is gone. And I thought they would surely make it to the quarterfinals. Bah.

Czech just sealed the deal.

Goodbye Slovakia, get your crap together please, you're the biggest disappointment of the tournament.

Aside from Tatar and Jurco! Go Wings!

Latvia upsets the Swiss? Sheesh, how easy are they going to make it on Canada? Talk about an easy ride to the semi's....easiest group in the Tourney and now Latvia... what a croc of conspiracy crap!

Wonder if the USA "ends up" losing to the Czechs....Hmmmmm.....guess we will cross that when we get there....

Just for fun, please tell us how this is a conspiracy? The standings are how they are. Personally, I'd rather have a tougher matchup against the Czechs to keep the guys engaged 100%.

its a typical response from an entitled Canadian fan...if USA can beat the Czechs, canadas cake walk will end... Not saying we are better than them, but they ain't seen nothing like the US Team. They just don't understand USA Hockey...

Are you not done with that crap yet? And if you're gonna say that s***, at least quote someone saying something of the sort.

Eh, idk. I thought they weren't going to be that good in the beginning of the tourney, but even with the injuries they played rather really good, and also took Canada to OT. I think the gap is closer and people keep underestimating them.

I could see Finland upsetting the Russians for 2 reasons:

1. Finland lines up at the blueline and plays 110% D.

2. Russia needs to skate hard to penetrate the wall of D, and Ovechkin, Malkin and Semin have been quite lazy and HATE to chase dump ins.

Of course what? The Czechs are a much more formidable opponent than Slovenia or Latvia. Any team with several NHL players will be a tough test. Is there really any question about that? I should be the one saying "of course." Of course some Canadian would try and downplay the toughness of team USA's matchup, while their team gets yet another non-NHL caliber team to play (aside from playing Finland).

It's not like I was singling Canada out. I said Sweden and Canada both have very easy matchups, while the Russians and Americans will both have tougher tests. And that's 100% true.

Your boys may have an advantage going into the semi's being a little more battle tested than the Canadian's. An intense game with Russia and then the Czechs will have your boys focused. Latvia may make our boys complacent, and you know Babcock's teams don't always show up in the 1st period to do anything other than weather a storm. I guess you can choose your evil in this case...

Of course what? The Czechs are a much more formidable opponent than Slovenia or Latvia. Any team with several NHL players will be a tough test. Is there really any question about that? I should be the one saying "of course." Of course some Canadian would try and downplay the toughness of team USA's matchup, while their team gets yet another non-NHL caliber team to play (aside from playing Finland).

It's not like I was singling Canada out. I said Sweden and Canada both have very easy matchups, while the Russians and Americans will both have tougher tests. And that's 100% true.

Canada has an easy matchup, no doubt about that... however you are acing like Czech should even be considered a worthy opponent to the USA team, when they shouldn't be. Yes they have several NHL players, players of lesser quality then ones they ommited, also they do not have the players of the caliber of USA. Sorry, but USA vs. Czech is not a tough matchup, Czech does not have a leg to stand on against the USA unless they completely s*** the bed. The only even tough match-up in the quarters is Russia - Finland. Barring an upset Canada, USA and Sweden should advance without an issue.

its a typical response from an entitled Canadian fan...if USA can beat the Czechs, canadas cake walk will end... Not saying we are better than them, but they ain't seen nothing like the US Team. They just don't understand USA Hockey...

We are shaking in our boots.... :w00t2:

2ed8g41.jpg

Who cares, go win your games. Sounds like a lot of premature excuses in case of an upset on USA.

Edited by darkmanx

The two things the Latvians have going for them is chemistry and familarity with the big ice surface. 1/3 of that team actually plays together all the time (they come from the same KHL team).

Those two things are very, very signficant, but not signficant enough to overcome their severe lack of skill though. However, as is the case in all matchups, if you run into a hot goalie, anyone can win (especially in one game eliminations).

For those saying Canada hasn't seen a team like USA yet. It's true! But USA hasn't played a team like Canada yet either. Don't give me that "but... but... Russia!!" crap. They haven't exactly been lighting it up this tournament either lol. Canada vs USA would be a HUGE test for both teams, not just one of them.

Also, don't count out the teams that played today. They'll be ready to go at puck drop. Everyone else has been idle for a few days. The quarter finals is when the upsets happen!

I could see Finland upsetting the Russians for 2 reasons:

1. Finland lines up at the blueline and plays 110% D.

2. Russia needs to skate hard to penetrate the wall of D, and Ovechkin, Malkin and Semin have been quite lazy and HATE to chase dump ins.

I agree. The only line on Russia capable of doing anything is Datsyuk's. Probably because he controls the play and is more deadly with the extra ice instead of the one-and-done, me! me! me! on the rush offense that Malkin and Ovie seem to still be doing (Semin's been absolutely invisible). If Finland can limit any penalties, it's going to be hard for Russia to beat Rask at even strength.

I agree. The only line on Russia capable of doing anything is Datsyuk's. Probably because he controls the play and is more deadly with the extra ice instead of the one-and-done, me! me! me! on the rush offense that Malkin and Ovie seem to still be doing (Semin's been absolutely invisible). If Finland can limit any penalties, it's going to be hard for Russia to beat Rask at even strength.

Malkin has been great for Russia. Whenever he has the puck he is making things happen. Ovechkin and Semin have destroyed that line, Ovi is ******* a terrible player other then scoring goals. I think Datsyuk line should be the 1st line and getting more minutes at this point.

Malkin has been great for Russia. Whenever he has the puck he is making things happen. Ovechkin and Semin have destroyed that line, Ovi isf****** a terrible player other then scoring goals. I think Datsyuk line should be the 1st line and getting more minutes at this point.

Perhaps you're right and his linemates are bringing him down, I just haven't noticed him stand out as much as Datsyuk has. Datsyuk's been way more effective for his team.

The Finns definitely can't match up in offensive fire power but they do have a much better goalie and they play an extremely disciplined defensive game. It would be a lot of fun to see what happens if they could get the first goal tomorrow.

Russian coach agrees with you. He shook up the lines today. OV and Semin are no longer together.

OV is a howitzer, he needs a crew to service him. 1 guy (Malkin/Datsyuk) to set him up and another guy to go get the puck (Popov/Radulov). Coach Bill had OV-Malkin-Popov today vs Norway, while Semin was on the 3rd line and looked better for it.

We are shaking in our boots.... :w00t2:

2ed8g41.jpg

Cool, you found a gif of the only thing Crosby has done in Olympic hockey.

Damn he's been bad/invisible this tournament.

As for the semis, I think the Czechs could cause some trouble for the US. The game against Russia told me the US are probably a bit overrated.

The two things the Latvians have going for them is chemistry and familarity with the big ice surface. 1/3 of that team actually plays together all the time (they come from the same KHL team).

Those two things are very, very signficant, but not signficant enough to overcome their severe lack of skill though. However, as is the case in all matchups, if you run into a hot goalie, anyone can win (especially in one game eliminations).

Masalskis (Latvian goalie) looked half dead after today's game. Look for him to get shelled tomorrow.

They don't have an adequate #2 goalie to spell him. Canada will have a cakewalk tomorrow.

3.Tuuuuuukkkkkkaaaaaa

Yeah, he of 2.94 GAA and .872 SV% in these Olympics. If I were the Finns, I'd gone with Lehtonen tomorrow.

As for the semis, I think the Czechs could cause some trouble for the US. The game against Russia told me the US are probably a bit overrated.

IMHO, Czechs are not nearly deep enough to compete with the US. If Pavelec plays well, they'll lose in a close game, otherwise, a 4-5 goal blowout.

Russian coach agrees with you. He shook up the lines today. OV and Semin are no longer together.

OV is a howitzer, he needs a crew to service him. 1 guy (Malkin/Datsyuk) to set him up and another guy to go get the puck (Popov/Radulov). Coach Bill had OV-Malkin-Popov today vs Norway, while Semin was on the 3rd line and looked better for it.

Why's Nichushkin scratched?He was better than half of your forwards.

Yeah, he of 2.94 GAA and .872 SV% in these Olympics. If I were the Finns, I'd gone with Lehtonen tomorrow.

Using that logic,you should demote Ovechkin,with only 1 goal and 4.76 SG%.

Rask's gonna start,no doubt and after all he "knows" Russian top players much better playing the Eastern Conference(Syomin,Ovechkin,Malkin,Kovalchuk,Datsyuk,Kulyomin,Markov...)

Edited by pucktividi

It is on 9am in my neck of the woods. I'm gonna try to drag my ass out of bed for it (yay midterm break!)

9am where you at? Tuscany? Lol! It's a 1pm game in Sochi so that means it's a...drumroll please...1am start time here! I'm gonna go to bed now and get a couple hours of sleep ugh.

Malkin has been great for Russia. Whenever he has the puck he is making things happen. Ovechkin and Semin have destroyed that line, Ovi isf****** a terrible player other then scoring goals. I think Datsyuk line should be the 1st line and getting more minutes at this point.

Agreed, Malkin has tried to make things happen, Ovechkin has just coasted around waiting for the puck to come to him. Semin? I haven't even heard the guys name in commentary. I'd dump Ovi to the 3rd line and just roll him out for the PP.