Photo
* * * * - 7 votes

Official 2014 Olympic Hockey Thread (Admin warning #316)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1600 replies to this topic

#541 Jersey Wing

Jersey Wing

Watching Eastern Conference hockey before it was cool...

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,079 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 11:04 AM

T.J. Sochie

14767451334_8f0d14d8cb_o.jpg

#542 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,706 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 11:10 AM

I'm sorry it took so long to get on here and talk to you guys, I was busy calling everybody I knew.  How awesome was that shootout?  T.J. Oshie hasf****** ice water in his veins.  Him vs. the best that Russia had to offer and he stood tall...WITH A GRIN ON HIS FACE THE WHOLE TIME!!!!  What a game.  Team USA was picked on swagger, and so far swagger has delivered. 

p.s.  For the rest of eternity T.J. Oshie is aces in my book.

Edited by vladdy16, 15 February 2014 - 11:22 AM.
PLEASE DO NOT CIRCUMVENT THE CURSE FILTER

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#543 dropkickshanahans

dropkickshanahans

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 11:14 AM

I'm sorry it took so long to get on here and talk to you guys, I was busy calling everybody I knew.  How awesome was that shootout?  T.J. Oshie has f*cking ice water in his veins.  Him vs. the best that Russia had to offer and he stood tall...WITH A GRIN ON HIS FACE THE WHOLE TIME!!!!  What a game.  Team USA was picked on swagger, and so far swagger has delivered. 

p.s.  For the rest of eternity T.J. Oshie is aces in my book.

I've calmed down some but I"m still on an adrenaline high, it was just a completely awesome game with a completely awesome ending. T.J. Sochie!

#544 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,706 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 11:20 AM

I've calmed down some but I"m still on an adrenaline high, it was just a completely awesome game with a completely awesome ending. T.J. Sochie!

I want a framed picture of Oshie grinning before those shootout attempts.  There is literally no situation in hockey where there's more pressure on an individual player.  No shootouts in the NHL playoffs.  This is as high stakes as it gets, and that kid had to shoot what 5, 6 times?  And he did it with a smile on his face.  That dude rules soooo much.

Kudos to quick for standing tall as well.  I haven't even spoken about him yet.  I absolutely love this hockey team.

Edited by kipwinger, 15 February 2014 - 11:21 AM.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

#545 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,088 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 11:25 AM

I only wish that could've been the gold medal game.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#546 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,706 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 11:27 AM

I only wish that could've been the gold medal game.

Dude, I'd lose my s***...like...I can't even imagine my mental state if that was for the gold.  I'm already having a hard time processing how awesome that one was.

#547 PaZel

PaZel

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 66 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 11:31 AM

I dunno if something like this has been posted already, but if you missed the USA vs. Russia game and want to watch a full-game replay, it's available on NBC. You just need to sign into your TV service provider's account. 

Spoiler: Heard Oshie like shows up or something

http://stream.nbcoly...14999/?ctx=citi

"I didn't know the draft was in alphabetical order." - Henrik Zetterberg

#548 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,088 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 11:38 AM

Just to be clear, what are the exact rules re: the shootout? Like, did Bylsma have to keep going to Oshie? Or does Bylsma just have a wicked sixth sense for these things? (See also: that time he said Jussi Jokinen was gonna score on the next play, and Jussi Jokinen scored on the next play. I also vaguely remember him saying something about Max Talbot prior to The Game That Shall Not Be Named.)

Don't Toews me, bro!

#549 sibiriak

sibiriak

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,645 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 11:45 AM

Just to be clear, what are the exact rules re: the shootout? Like, did Bylsma have to keep going to Oshie? Or does Bylsma just have a wicked sixth sense for these things? (See also: that time he said Jussi Jokinen was gonna score on the next play, and Jussi Jokinen scored on the next play. I also vaguely remember him saying something about Max Talbot prior to The Game That Shall Not Be Named.)

The first 3 shooters must be different, after that anyone can shoot as many times as the coach wants.

O'Shie was hot, so Bylsma used him, and used him, and used him,...

Good coaching.

On an unrelated note, one of the refs today was American. The episode with the (correctly) disallowed goal proves that it is a bad idea to have a ref of the same nation as one of the teams playing. Appearance of a conflict of interest. Controversial decisions are bound to happen. It's tolerable in a round-robin game, but I hope it is not going to happen in elimination games.

#550 evilmrt

evilmrt

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,564 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 11:52 AM

The first 3 shooters must be different, after that anyone can shoot as many times as the coach wants.

Good coaching.

On an unrelated note, one of the refs today was American. The episode with the (correctly) disallowed goal proves that it is a bad idea to have a ref of the same nation as one of the teams playing. Appearance of a conflict of interest. Controversial decisions are bound to happen. It's tolerable in a round-robin game, but I hope it is not going to happen in elimination games.

What "episode"? The net was dislodged, I was watching CANADIAN tv and even they said it was clearly not a goal under the rules. Should they have blown play dead as soon as it happened? Yeah, but then the goal wouldn't have happened...so you lose under both scenarios. 

#551 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,058 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 11:53 AM

I want a framed picture of Oshie grinning before those shootout attempts.  There is literally no situation in hockey where there's more pressure on an individual player.  No shootouts in the NHL playoffs.  This is as high stakes as it gets, and that kid had to shoot what 5, 6 times?  And he did it with a smile on his face.  That dude rules soooo much.

That was the thing, you could see it in Kovulchuks eyes, like "FFS, I have to shoot again?"  It was definately wearing him and Pav down, the pressure of it.  Oshie was too dumb and too young to care :lol:  The definition of clutch.

Edited by Nev, 15 February 2014 - 11:55 AM.

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#552 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,088 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 11:54 AM

Good coaching.

Thanks, I'd guessed that was what was up. Good on Disco Dan.

Not a fan of the no-goal. Cheapened the whole thing for me a bit, even if it was the right call. I dunno if it can be pinned on one of the refs being American, though. (Then again...)

Don't Toews me, bro!

#553 evilmrt

evilmrt

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,564 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 11:57 AM

Bgh2l9AIgAAt6Ix.jpg

#554 vladdy16

vladdy16

The rest are neophytes.

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 6,180 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 12:22 PM

Bgh2l9AIgAAt6Ix.jpg

Someone needs to Photoshop a tumbleweed blowing across the ice.

Can't wait to read the "Phoenix: I still think it's a hockey market" chapter of Gary Bettman's autobiography. I'm guessing it's going to be chapter 11.

- mjlegend 3/9/2011

#555 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,088 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 12:28 PM

Swiss just scored. I'm rooting for them.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#556 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,706 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 12:44 PM

I have to admit that Russia is a better team than I thought they'd be.  If Ovechkin buries either of his two post shots they win.  And I thought their defense was better than I gave it credit for too.  I DEFINITELY wouldn't want to play that team in the medal round.  They're the type that could drop 3 or 4 goals on you in the first period.  They're also really fast.  They'll match up well against Canada, particularly if they just double shift their top two lines for the entire third period like they did against us. 

So far, of the Big Four I've got to say it's:

USA (because we beat a contender)

Russia (because they barely lost to a contender)

Canada (because they punished a bunch of nobodies)

Sweden (because they didn't punish a bunch of nobodies)

#557 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,990 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 12:50 PM

To all my American friends. Congrats on the win.

Before I continue, I'd like to say that although I'm Canadian, I have no preference as to who wins this tournament. There are guys I like on all teams, and guys I hate.

Two things:
1. Shoot outs still suck
2. If you're ready to give Oshie the keys to the Whitehouse for being good at shootouts, you had better check first to see that Toews is at Camp David for the weekend.
"In Detroit, every day is a good day to win"

#558 Wings10

Wings10

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 817 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 12:54 PM

Preliminary rd who cares

#559 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,026 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 12:56 PM

Just finished watching the game, gonna have to go back and catch up on the thread but here are my thoughts:

Russia's jerseys are amazing

This game was amazing

I don't like when Datsyuk is on the other team

Shootouts still suck

Bonus Fun Fact: The only players to score against Team USA are Red Wings

• ami likes this

Kronwalled.net - Keep Yer Head up Kid

MONEY ON THE BOARD: $10/Kronwalling (1), $1/goal by: Nyquist, Tatar, Jurco, Sheahan, disney.com (1), Andersson, Dekeyser, Pulkinnen, Ouellet, or Sproul.  2X MULTIPLIER: disney.com.  CONSOLATION PRIZE: $5/goal by: Datsyuk (3), $3/goal by: Z (1). MOTB TOTAL: $30

#560 ami

ami

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 760 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 12:58 PM

If you're ready to give Oshie the keys to the Whitehouse for being good at shootouts,

Yes, please. He at least CAN do something right.

Bonus Fun Fact: The only players to score against Team USA are Red Wings

Plus: the only players score for team Slovakia so far are Red Wings :)

Edited by ami, 15 February 2014 - 01:00 PM.