Photo
* * * * - 7 votes

Official 2014 Olympic Hockey Thread (Admin warning #316)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1600 replies to this topic

#41 martinezsvsu

martinezsvsu

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 06:18 PM

orpik is a good shut down defender. i think our defense will be fine.

#42 amato

amato

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 06:26 PM

Perhaps you're forgetting about a secret little weapon known as Jan Mursak.  BOOM!  How's it feel to have a bomb dropped on your a**?!!

haha no of course not.. i just assume kopes and jan are friends :P 

Datsyukian

Dat·syu·ki·an [dat-soo-kee-uh n]

adjective

1. When your moves are so amazing and beyond reason, the only way to describe them is "datsyukian."

#43 SDavis35

SDavis35

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 924 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 06:29 PM

I don't care....for once I can say DAVID BACKES IS ON OUR TEAM!!!  WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

One of my favourite non-wings players... too bad I can't say the same. 

I'll have some pride for the Canadians, but I like to watch how the Wings' players do in these tournaments. I won't be cheering for the USA unless they have Howard in net though. 

#44 joesuffP

joesuffP

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,827 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 08:07 PM

There's no body checking in women's hockey? Just saw a penalty for it called twice

#45 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,419 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 08:11 PM

You'll see lots of checking/penalties this coming Wednesday.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#46 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

GooZe! Z Jr. ~ Acting Captain

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,028 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 08:44 PM

orpik is a good shut down defender. i think our defense will be fine.

Orpik's dirtbag style of constant cross checks and hits from behind will land him in the box in the Olympics.  Just like 2006 Pronger.

One of my favourite non-wings players... too bad I can't say the same. 

I'll have some pride for the Canadians, but I like to watch how the Wings' players do in these tournaments. I won't be cheering for the USA unless they have Howard in net though. 

I'm Canadian and I'm pulling for Sweden, Slovakia and Russia.  Let's Go Wings!  When I don't like Canada's team top to bottom, I cheer for Wings above Canada.

This offseason will determine whether Ken Holland should still be employed with the Wings organization.

Please put Smith on the Power Play!

#47 DickieDunn

DickieDunn

http://redwingsandotherthings.wordpress.com/

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 09:00 PM

There's no body checking in women's hockey? Just saw a penalty for it called twice

No. Which is stupid.

Oh this young man has had a very trying rookie season, with the litigation, the notoriety, his subsequent deportation to Canada and that country's refusal to accept him, well, I guess that's more than most 21-year-olds can handle... Ogie Ogilthorpe!

#48 evilmrt

evilmrt

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,408 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 10:24 PM

Tre Kronor. That is all.

IPB Image

#49 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,419 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 08:20 AM

From TSN:

The Canadian men's Olympic hockey team practised for the first time in Sochi on Monday, providing a look into the potential makeup of the lineup for Thursday's tournament opener against Norway.

According to TSN Hockey Insider Pierre LeBrun, the coaching staff admitted the likelihood of tinkering with the lines used in practice over the next two days, particularly the fourth unit.

Damn near perfect.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#50 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,427 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 09:19 AM

Datsyuk clearly was injured and not "faking it" like some around here thought, if he isn't even practicing with Russia it's clear that he isn't 100% healthy yet

1619431_10152076754861235_68631640462286

#51 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,412 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 09:22 AM

When I don't like Canada's team top to bottom, I cheer for Wings above Canada.

That just sounds so wrong....I can't understand it.  I do the same thing when Wing players are playing against other countries, but no way would I cheer against Canada.

#52 BadgerBob

BadgerBob

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 09:46 AM

I'm Canadian and I'm pulling for Sweden, Slovakia and Russia.  Let's Go Wings!  When I don't like Canada's team top to bottom, I cheer for Wings above Canada.

I can't root for USA as long as Kane is on the team, guy's a first rate scum bag, so I'm cheering for Sweden since I'm mostly Swedish.

#53 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,763 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 09:57 AM

What's the point of picking a team in the Olympics if you aren't going to pick your national team?  That's literally the ENTIRE point of the Olympics.  Unless you're a German hockey fan and don't have a horse in the race, it's completely absurd to root against your country in an event which is specifically designed for nations to compete with one another.  I could understand not caring who wins, and only caring about seeing good games.  But that means that you would be just as happy to see your team win as any other.  But to actively hope another team is better than your national team makes no sense to me. 

Would you root against our home country's world junior team?  How about your hometown high school team?  Silly.

Edited by kipwinger, 11 February 2014 - 09:59 AM.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#54 BadgerBob

BadgerBob

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 10:06 AM

What's the point of picking a team in the Olympics if you aren't going to pick your national team?  That's literally the ENTIRE point of the Olympics.  Unless you're a German hockey fan and don't have a horse in the race, it's completely absurd to root against your country in an event which is specifically designed for nations to compete with one another.  I could understand not caring who wins, and only caring about seeing good games.  But that means that you would be just as happy to see your team win as any other.  But to actively hope another team is better than your national team makes no sense to me. 

Would you root against our home country's world junior team?  How about your hometown high school team?  Silly.

World Junior team no, because Patsy isn't on it. High school team I'm indifferent because I want the kids to win but I want them to lose so the coach (who is an idiot) gets fired, it's a popular opinion among players/parents who've played for him. I'm perfectly fine with not rooting for US for my reason, even if it's a really bad reason.

#55 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,763 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 10:12 AM

World Junior team no, because Patsy isn't on it. High school team I'm indifferent because I want the kids to win but I want them to lose so the coach (who is an idiot) gets fired, it's a popular opinion among players/parents who've played for him. I'm perfectly fine with not rooting for US for my reason, even if it's a really bad reason.

Haha.  At the end of the day it doesn't really matter I suppose.  I guess I just don't understand the thinking is all.  Which is nothing new, since I find most modern thought utterly befuddling. 

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

#56 Internet.Unknown

Internet.Unknown

Rookie

• Pip
  • 126 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 11:16 AM

Rooting against one's country because of a particular NHL player is silly. The saint on your team is often a devil to your rival. For Wings fans, think Todd Bertuzzi, Vladdy, Probert, and Chelios. These guys were/are hated by many across the league yet fans of Detroit cheer for them. Probert ended up in Chicago after beating the snot out of Blackhawks' players for years. Chelios came to Detroit after many seasons of bitter rivalry.

USA! USA! USA!

#57 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

GooZe! Z Jr. ~ Acting Captain

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,028 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 11:38 AM

That just sounds so wrong....I can't understand it.  I do the same thing when Wing players are playing against other countries, but no way would I cheer against Canada.

I don't care for the team Canada picked.  My country or not, if I don't like the team I won't cheer for them.  I never said I was cheering against them, it just don't care to cheer for them.  I'll cheer for my favourite player Zetterberg and the Swedes and I'll pull for Datsyuk and the other kids Jurco and Tatar on Slovakia.  

That's my personal mindset anyways.

This offseason will determine whether Ken Holland should still be employed with the Wings organization.

Please put Smith on the Power Play!

#58 amato

amato

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 11:39 AM

i for one am happy kane is american.. say what you want about his attitude or whatever but he's a damn good player.

Datsyukian

adjective

1. When your moves are so amazing and beyond reason, the only way to describe them is "datsyukian."

#59 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,763 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 11:50 AM

i for one am happy kane is american.. say what you want about his attitude or whatever but he's a damn good player.

Yeah, for real.  I actually don't think he's got an attitude...any more.  Even if he did, that dude is about to light it up for the Americans and bring us the gold.  I'd gladly watch him punch ten or twelve cab drivers so long as I don't have to feel like I did four years ago.

#60 amato

amato

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 11:59 AM

Yeah, for real.  I actually don't think he's got an attitude...any more.  Even if he did, that dude is about to light it up for the Americans and bring us the gold.  I'd gladly watch him punch ten or twelve cab drivers so long as I don't have to feel like I did four years ago.

i have heard somewhere that he's matured a lot and has focused more on hockey the past couple seasons than he did before.. if true, good for him.

edit: speaking of which, http://prohockeytalk...ption-in-sochi/

Edited by amato, 11 February 2014 - 12:00 PM.

Datsyukian

adjective