Photo
* * * * - 7 votes

Official 2014 Olympic Hockey Thread (Admin warning #316)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1600 replies to this topic

#581 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,683 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 02:09 PM

WTF Tre Kronor you won't be winning any gold medals not being able to crush Latvia ffs

At what point does it start to sink in that you've picked the wrong pony? 

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#582 BottleOfSmoke

BottleOfSmoke

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,008 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 02:10 PM

At what point does it start to sink in that you've picked the wrong pony? 

NEVER

MY SWEDISH WINGS WILL PREVAIL

LGWsig_zpsa75c5d1e.jpg

#583 Ekmanc

Ekmanc

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 815 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 02:10 PM

I hope I'm wrong but I don't have high hopes for this team.

Elder hammers one home, getting out from under Torts suffocating coaching must feel great for him ;)

#584 Detroit # 1 Fan

Detroit # 1 Fan

Truculence.

• HoF Booster
  • 19,042 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 02:19 PM

Swiss upset the Czechs 1-0. Hiller was good, the Swiss play a suffocating NJ devils style hockey on the big ice, very effective. Wonder if Hudler or Vrbata could've added some pop for the Czechs? Still a stupid decision leaving those 2 home.

#NOMOREKINDL

#585 Ekmanc

Ekmanc

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 815 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 02:22 PM

Sweden wins 5-3 extremely boring hockey game but it's a win at least and nice to see Jonathan Ericsson's big brother get a goal.

#586 BottleOfSmoke

BottleOfSmoke

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,008 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 02:23 PM

TK wins 5-3. Shouldn't have been that close.

LGWsig_zpsa75c5d1e.jpg

#587 sibiriak

sibiriak

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,644 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 03:05 PM

Thanks, I'd guessed that was what was up. Good on Disco Dan.

Not a fan of the no-goal. Cheapened the whole thing for me a bit, even if it was the right call. I dunno if it can be pinned on one of the refs being American, though. (Then again...)

Whose responsibility is it to check if the net is on its moorings? Head refs or the linesmen?

The refs were a Swede and an American, the linesmen were both from Canada.

From replays it looks like Quick was a bit more forceful then necessary, when sliding along the goal line and kicking out the left post. Probably not intentional, but with a US ref, it gives all sorts of ammo to the conspiracy minded among us. :)

#588 wings87

wings87

Wake Up!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,850 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 03:18 PM

I've got a giant man crush on Oshie right now, just think of all the shootouts the Wings would have won if we had him.

"He usually shows up when the game is over and tries to be the hero. Puts his cape on and goes and flies out there." ~ Franzen 

#589 wings87

wings87

Wake Up!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,850 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 03:29 PM

Whose responsibility is it to check if the net is on its moorings? Head refs or the linesmen?

From replays it looks like Quick was a bit more forceful then necessary, when sliding along the goal line and kicking out the left post. Probably not intentional, but with a US ref, it gives all sorts of ammo to the conspiracy minded among us. :)

I could see where there could be conspiracy complaints, but IMHO there is no controversy. If the net is off then it's no goal the refs followed the rules and disallowed it. Really the only mistake the officials made was not seeing that the net was off in the first place.

But what's a great game without a little controversy, huh? :)

"He usually shows up when the game is over and tries to be the hero. Puts his cape on and goes and flies out there." ~ Franzen 

#590 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,683 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 03:45 PM

It's hard for me to say how I'd feel if I were a Russian fan in this situation.  I mean, I imagine I'd be pretty upset because my team was so close to winning a very high profile game.  But then again, having been a Red Wings fan for my entire life I feel like having important goals waved off is sort of "old hat".  So in the final analysis...

Tough break Ruskies!

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#591 Ekmanc

Ekmanc

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 815 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 03:46 PM

It was a group stage, the Russians can't dwell on it too much they just have to move on and get better.

#592 sibiriak

sibiriak

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,644 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 03:48 PM

I could see where there could be conspiracy complaints, but IMHO there is no controversy. If the net is off then it's no goal the refs followed the rules and disallowed it. Really the only mistake the officials made was not seeing that the net was off in the first place.

But what's a great game without a little controversy, huh? :)

True, although i could wish the refs called Quick for delay of game for the push on post.

#593 wings87

wings87

Wake Up!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,850 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 03:57 PM

True, although i could wish the refs called Quick for delay of game for the push on post.

I don't think you can call delay of game there, it's not like Quick knocked the net completely off, he went to make a save and the net barely got dislodged.

On a side note I never liked Radulov, but today I think all USA fans owe him a debt of gratitude. So if I'm permitted on behalf of all USA fans I would like to say: Thanks Sasha we couldn't have done it without you.

#594 Grateful Gadsby

Grateful Gadsby

Rookie

• Pip
  • 170 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 04:17 PM

Blues vs Bruins is something I can get behind, and cheer on the Blues...I've been to St.Louis a handful of times; really nice folks, and great hockey fans (and unlike Chicago you can wear your Red Wings gear, and not be threatened)...If there's a franchise out there along with a fan base that deserves to have a shot at winning the Cup - I'm thinking the Blues would be at, or near the top of that list.

Have to disagree about Blues fans.  

Don't get me wrong, there's a lot to like about the team, and Hitch is doing a great job.  That said, I had the misfortune of actually living in St. Louis for several years, and the "core" Blues fans (passionate, knowledgeable, respectful of other teams) are a distinct minority.  You're more likely to encounter the idiots who probably couldn't care less if the Blues ever won a Cup -- as long as the other team (preferably the Wings) leaves the ice on stretchers, they're happy.  Plus, when they're not simply screaming for blood, they're constantly whining about how national media and fans of other teams aren't giving the Blues enough attention and "respect," -- despite the obvious fact (well, obvious to the rest of the world, anyway) that the team has never accomplished a freaking thing in its 45-year history.

#595 Jersey Wing

Jersey Wing

Watching Eastern Conference hockey before it was cool...

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,079 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 06:04 PM

Someone needs to Photoshop a tumbleweed blowing across the ice.

No animation but there's this...

12550190494_1a9effb030_z.jpg

14767451334_8f0d14d8cb_o.jpg

#596 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 06:07 PM

Good to beat Russia, but why is it being hailed as the biggest win for USA since 1980? Team USA is ridiculously stacked, better than Russia on paper, and it's just a round robin game. What's so big about It?
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#597 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,086 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 06:12 PM

I hear ya. I guess my thinking - if we want to go the conspiracy route - is that we don't even necessarily need the ref(s) to be biased for the whole thing to be suspicious. It could just be that Quick is an evil genius. (If I'm a goalie in the Olympics, I'd quite like playing with an ever-so-slightly dislodged net. It'd be a wonderful safety cushion; even if the opposition scores, they don't score. And they're not going to make you play the past minute or two or however much time has transpired all over again. Sweet, right? JUST SAYIN'. ;))

Don't Toews me, bro!

#598 darkmanx

darkmanx

Toronto's Finest

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,628 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 06:23 PM

Hate the guy, but this had me lol'ing

tumblr_n11c278QX01sgzkpgo1_500.jpg

#599 kylee

kylee

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,457 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 06:26 PM

They had a short post-game discussion that involved Cris Collinsworth on NBC. He said the game was like these teams were playing for the "NHL championship". How embarrassing.

#600 DickieDunn

DickieDunn

http://redwingsandotherthings.wordpress.com/

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,456 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 06:26 PM

Good to beat Russia, but why is it being hailed as the biggest win for USA since 1980? Team USA is ridiculously stacked, better than Russia on paper, and it's just a round robin game. What's so big about It?

They beat the Evil Russians?  IDK, if you don't know much about hockey you might buy that hype if you compare it to the Miracle on Ice.

Oh this young man has had a very trying rookie season, with the litigation, the notoriety, his subsequent deportation to Canada and that country's refusal to accept him, well, I guess that's more than most 21-year-olds can handle... Ogie Ogilthorpe!