Photo
* * * * - 7 votes

Official 2014 Olympic Hockey Thread (Admin warning #316)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1600 replies to this topic

#801 pucktividi

pucktividi

the usual suspect

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,332 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 02:43 PM

He definitely is, though I wish he'd score like this for the Kings. 

It may be an unpopular opinion here but I'd take Doughty over anyone on the Wings blueline. 

On a side note, what's the best place for finding Olympic hockey stats?  Anything I've found is usually at least a day behind and kind of piecemeal.

IIHF.com

agree on Doughty as well :)

#802 kipwinger

kipwinger

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,259 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 02:45 PM

No they're just bad at Defense I think they're both capable. I wouldn't count on getting 6 power plays in the medal rounds. Half our forwards could still finish the tournament without really getting it going and we'd still win gold just like last time

I wouldn't count on playing teams who's best defenseman is Sami Salo in the Medal rounds either, so maybe you should worry about your own team.  They can't seem to skate, score, or play up to their potential and you're talking smack about Team USA?  Haha, good try.  Also, have fun against Russia.  You'll see how little they play defense in a few days.  By that time most of Team Canada should juuuuuuust about be catching their breath.

It might not be today, or tomorrow, or this week, but sooner or later you're going to realize that this ain't Vancouver, and the big ice is doing your boys no favors.

Edited by kipwinger, 16 February 2014 - 02:48 PM.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#803 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,107 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 02:49 PM

Rooster limit?  Joe Thornton talked about ***** so much in that interview this year that he was left off the team cause of the rooster limit?  :lol:

Well, your rooster can only be so big.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#804 joesuffP

joesuffP

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,442 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 02:52 PM

I wouldn't count on playing teams who's best defenseman is Sami Salo in the Medal rounds either, so maybe you should worry about your own team.  They can't seem to skate, score, or play up to their potential and you're talking smack about Team USA?  Haha, good try.  Also, have fun against Russia.  You'll see how little they play defense in a few days.  By that time most of Team Canada should juuuuuuust about be catching their breath.

I might not be today, or tomorrow, or this week, but sooner or later you're going to realize that this ain't Vancouver, and the big ice is doing your boys no favors.

I doubt Russia and US will be dumping it in without a forecheck and lining up at the blue line. Playing a team that tries to score goals will be a nice change for our forwards

#805 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,107 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 02:54 PM

It may be an unpopular opinion here but I'd take Doughty over anyone on the Wings blueline.

No-brainer.

I wouldn't count on playing teams who's best defenseman is Sami Salo

WHY YOU NO LIKE KIMMO TIMONENPUMBA?

Don't Toews me, bro!

#806 kipwinger

kipwinger

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,259 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 03:01 PM

I doubt Russia and US will be dumping it in without a forecheck and lining up at the blue line. Playing a team that tries to score goals will be a nice change for our forwards

Yeah, maybe the mentality will rub off on them.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

#807 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,107 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 03:07 PM

I feel like Canada has pretty much the greatest forward corps ever assembled. All we hear about is how monstrously deep they are and the countless different ways they can hurt you. So, "Yeah, well, all the teams they've played have been really good defensively"...that kinda rings hollow to me.

I do think there's something to what you're saying. And, like I said, I do fully expect "The REAL Team Canada" to emerge from its slumber now that they're past the prelims. But, any way you slice it, this can't be the kind of start Canada was hoping for. I mean, sure, a win is a win. But...dat lineup. It should be crushing a depleted Finnish team with one hand behind its back, meaningless game or not.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#808 Detroit # 1 Fan

Detroit # 1 Fan

Truculence.

• HoF Booster
  • 19,073 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 03:14 PM

He definitely is, though I wish he'd score like this for the Kings. 

On a side note, what's the best place for finding Olympic hockey stats?  Anything I've found is usually at least a day behind and kind of piecemeal.

Not sure why it'd be an unpopular opinion, Doughty is one of the best defenceman in the world. I'd trade DK+Smith+1st for him in an instant, even though that'd never get it done. He's that good.

#NOMOREKINDL

#809 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,130 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 03:16 PM

Not sure why it'd be an unpopular opinion, Doughty is one of the best defenceman in the world. I'd trade DK+Smith+1st for him in an instant, even though that'd never get it done. He's that good.

I agree.  I guess I assumed some people would think Kronner was better.  

#810 kipwinger

kipwinger

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,259 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 03:18 PM

A few years ago I'd say it's close.  But neither are particularly good defensively (ok at best for both) and they both score about as much as each other, but Kronner will only get worse moving forward while Doughty will only get better.

#811 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,107 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 03:19 PM

Hell, I'd consider trading Datsyuk.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#812 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 03:19 PM

Nope.  Doughty is one of the few Dmen in the league that's an all-around better player than Kronwall.  Doughty is an eff'n rockstar!

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#813 marcaractac

marcaractac

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,373 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 03:20 PM

Well I hope for your sake you're right.  Because of that s***ty, half assed performance, they now have to go through Russia to get to the Gold Medal game and I can promise you those guys can skate just as well as Finland AND score on their chances.  Good luck with that.

You do realize that the most likely scenario for a Canada/Russia game at this point is IN the gold medal game, right? Canadas path (assuming everything goes as it should) Would be Switzerland, USA, then Russia.

#814 kipwinger

kipwinger

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,259 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 03:27 PM

Getting carried away boys.  Datsyuk for Doughty...no.  All around good defenseman...no.  Doughty is an offensive defenseman who's decent defensively and above average offensively.  While he's got the potential to round out his game and play above average two ways in the years to come, so far he's a young guy who's had one 50 pt. season and a lot of growing to do defensively.

You do realize that the most likely scenario for a Canada/Russia game at this point is IN the gold medal game, right? Canadas path (assuming everything goes as it should) Would be Switzerland, USA, then Russia.

Either you, or the announcers during the game were wrong.  They stated during the Canada game that the US would not have to play Canada or Russia again unless it was in the gold medal game.  I was basing my info off that.  If they're wrong, then so am I.

#815 pucktividi

pucktividi

the usual suspect

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,332 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 03:29 PM

Nope.  Doughty is one of the few Dmen in the league that's an all-around better player than Kronwall.  Doughty is an eff'n rockstar!

And one of the couple of D men that at time makes Pasha looks human.The other one(hate to say it)is Keith

#816 marcaractac

marcaractac

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,373 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 03:30 PM

Getting carried away boys.  Datsyuk for Doughty...no.  All around good defenseman...no.  Doughty is an offensive defenseman who's decent defensively and above average offensively.  While he's got the potential to round out his game and play above average two ways in the years to come, so far he's a young guy who's had one 50 pt. season and a lot of growing to do defensively.

Either you, or the announcers during the game were wrong.  They stated during the Canada game that the US would not have to play Canada or Russia again unless it was in the gold medal game.  I was basing my info off that.  If they're wrong, then so am I.

Bgn0_V4CMAIV6eW.jpg

#817 kipwinger

kipwinger

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,259 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 03:39 PM

Bgn0_V4CMAIV6eW.jpg

Fair enough, I was wrong.  All the better for us.  I definitely want to go through Canada for the Gold.

#818 Ekmanc

Ekmanc

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,105 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 03:41 PM

Perfect, Sweden just needs to go through Austria, Russia and Canada and the gold will be ours! :D

Edited by Ekmanc, 16 February 2014 - 03:42 PM.

#819 pucktividi

pucktividi

the usual suspect

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,332 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 04:05 PM

Love how people already buried Finland,Slovakia/Czech Republic and Switzerland like today's games were ancient history.One of them will upset in the QF  :lol: 

#820 darkmanx

darkmanx

Toronto's Finest

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,772 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 04:06 PM

Bgn0_V4CMAIV6eW.jpg

Haha, awesome. USA doesn't get a free pass to the gold on this one.