Photo
* * * * - 7 votes

Official 2014 Olympic Hockey Thread (Admin warning #316)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1600 replies to this topic

#821 Ekmanc

Ekmanc

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 809 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 04:08 PM

Love how people already buried Finland,Slovakia/Czech Republic and Switzerland like today's games were ancient history.One of them will upset in the QF  :lol:

I think Finland have a really good shot at upsetting Russia. They have a much better goalie and if they play this kind of disciplined, grinding defense they will be incredibly tough to beat, add to that the classic Rus-Fin animosity and that game is a must watch!

Also there are no free passes in the olympics ;)

#822 anthonyn66

anthonyn66

Wings fan in Leaf Nation

• PipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 04:10 PM

People don't realize how good Doughty's defensive game is. He's a great skater who plays really hard, is physical, and of course we all know about his offensive abilities. He's rarely out of position. Let's not forget that he's one of those guys who thrives on the big stage, whether it's the playoffs or the Olympics. Franchise defenceman for the next ten years at least, I'd give up almost anyone on our team to have him.

#823 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,561 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 04:11 PM

One of my favorite things about the Olympics is how all the NHL animosities you build up for players, and all the free rides you give players in the NHL, go right out the window.  Which is why Ryan Kesler can be totally rehabilitated in the minds of American fans for blocking a shot, while half of Canada's forward can go from being superstars to bums in a close game.  Everything is topsy turvy. 

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#824 darkmanx

darkmanx

Toronto's Finest

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,617 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 04:22 PM

One of my favorite things about the Olympics is how all the NHL animosities you build up for players, and all the free rides you give players in the NHL, go right out the window.  Which is why Ryan Kesler can be totally rehabilitated in the minds of American fans for blocking a shot, while half of Canada's forward can go from being superstars to bums in a close game.  Everything is topsy turvy. 

I hate Shea Weber, but I love him for Canada, same with Crosby, Keith, Toews...

Your right, it's amazing!

#825 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,039 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 05:21 PM

He definitely is, though I wish he'd score like this for the Kings. 

It may be an unpopular opinion here but I'd take Doughty over anyone on the Wings blueline

Not really.  Doughty is consensus top 10, Kronner is consensus 10-20

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#826 BottleOfSmoke

BottleOfSmoke

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,962 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 05:27 PM

Babbey Road

1891208_776717505688954_1804445205_n.jpg

Babs needs to be photoshopped into various scenes of destruction and mayhem like happy strolling Leo DiCaprio.

MABUS!

LGWsig_zpsa75c5d1e.jpg

#827 SDavis35

SDavis35

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 934 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 05:32 PM

Love how people already buried Finland,Slovakia/Czech Republic and Switzerland like today's games were ancient history.One of them will upset in the QF  :lol:

I was saying today that I see Switzerland playing upset to someone... guess who it's going to be? 

#828 darkmanx

darkmanx

Toronto's Finest

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,617 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 05:58 PM

tumblr_n13jhhZZrF1sky6wdo1_500.png

tumblr_n13dwpqQbK1tolkiqo1_250.gif

#829 RedWang

RedWang

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,211 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 06:15 PM

This is the greatest thing ive seen in a while.

He embodies the USA. Look at those cheeks.

And BottleofSmoke im fimiliar with the Leo Strut and whole-heartedly second the notion to create a Babs Strut. Walking with the Beatles, or in the trenches of WWII, perhaps ontop of an erupting volcano? Definitely with a bench of laughing hudlers yelling at him as he strolls by...ah yeah, thatll do nicely.

#830 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,094 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 06:53 PM

Fair enough, I was wrong.  All the better for us.  I definitely want to go through Canada for the Gold.

Right, cause that worked out so well the last time...

#831 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,226 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 07:04 PM

Haha, awesome. USA doesn't get a free pass to the gold on this one.

Like drawing Norway, Austria and an absolutely depleted Finland in group play?

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

#832 darkmanx

darkmanx

Toronto's Finest

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,617 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 07:15 PM

Like drawing Norway, Austria and an absolutely depleted Finland in group play?

Reading other forums (specifically HF), a large majority of USA fans were cheering for Canada to win in regulation so they wouldn't have to play Canada unless each team made the Gold Medal game.

Just going off what people are saying from your country is all.

#833 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,561 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 07:59 PM

Right, cause that worked out so well the last time...

Well here's hoping this time around they award the gold based on past achievement.  If not, this time next week you boys will be watching curling, waving your little Canadian flags, and endlessly repeating "four years ago we were the best in the world". 

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#834 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,179 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 08:09 PM

Not really.  Doughty is consensus top 10, Kronner is consensus 10-20

I'd say they're both top 10.

tumblr_n13dwpqQbK1tolkiqo1_250.gif

Love the Kessel eagle.

Free darkmanx!

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

#835 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,179 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 08:15 PM

Well here's hoping this time around they award the gold based on past achievement.  If not, this time next week you boys will be watching curling, waving your little Canadian flags, and endlessly repeating "four years ago we were the best in the world". 

Last USA gold medal was 1980.  I'd take 4 years rather than 34.  I guess what I'm saying is that when Canada wins it, it's not a big enough deal to make a movie.  :cheesy:   Kick ass movie though.

Free darkmanx!

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

#836 FlashyG

FlashyG

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,144 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 08:18 PM

I don't think Canada has looked anywhere near as bad as some of you make it seem, or that the US has looked much better.

Defensively Canada is playing FAR better than I've ever seen them on the big ice, they're getting tremendous amounts of offence from their defence as well and their goalies have both been steady. The US have been very similar, Quick has been great and their defence has been solid although I don't think they're as good at contributing offensively, that's easily been made up for by the strong play of their forwards though, especially Kessel.

Canada's forward group should have scored a few more goals but they've faced some better goaltending, which can, and probably will happen to everyone at some point. I'd rather deal with it in the round robin than I would in the medal round. (although I think Canada is in for another tough game if Switzerland gets by Latvia)

When it comes to comparing their pools I don't think the gap is that big either. The American's pool had a better bottom 2 teams, and they looked a lot better vs their minnows than Canada did vs theirs. On the other hand I personally think Finland is a better team than Russia and that Canada looked better vs Finland than the US did vs Russia.

I thought Russia outplayed the Americans for the majority of that game, but Quick played great and T.J. Oshie was the definition of clutch in the shootout. Canada controlled the flow of play for the whole game vs Finland but Rask was outstanding and we don't have a forward on a hot streak like Kessel's.

I won't be the least bit shocked if the US goes on to win gold, or if they go through Canada to get it, but the gap between all the top teams is so small that in a single elimination format its anyone's gold medal.

#837 FlashyG

FlashyG

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,144 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 09:07 PM

One thing I have to hand to fans of the USA you are much more optimistic and positive about your team than most Canadians.

It seems odd to me that I'm finding myself defending team Canada to countrymen when they are 3-0 without their best players hitting their stride and having allowed only 2 goals so far.

Makes me wonder what they expected from the round robin? 10-0 wins vs everyone and the rest of the world shrinking away in fear...Who do they think we are...the Dutch Speedskating team?

#838 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,179 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 09:11 PM

One thing I have to hand to fans of the USA you are much more optimistic and positive about your team than most Canadians.

It seems odd to me that I'm finding myself defending team Canada to countrymen when they are 3-0 without their best players hitting their stride and having allowed only 2 goals so far.

Makes me wonder what they expected from the round robin? 10-0 wins vs everyone and the rest of the world shrinking away in fear...Who do they think we are...the Dutch Speedskating team?

That's the main problem.  They need to hit their stride before facing a hot USA team.  It's midseason, they should be in midseason form.  The line juggling is one of the main issues I believe.  No chemistry.

Free darkmanx!

#839 FlashyG

FlashyG

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,144 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 09:29 PM

That's the main problem.  They need to hit their stride before facing a hot USA team.  It's midseason, they should be in midseason form.  The line juggling is one of the main issues I believe.  No chemistry.

I don't disagree that we need to get more from our forwards, but instead of worrying about their lack of production in a tournament we're undefeated in. Why aren't more of us looking at it optimistically, recognizing that we still have a lot of room to improve despite having won our group and only allowing 2 goals.

I'll complain and second guess like the rest if we lose, but I'd rather just enjoy the tournament while its going well.

#840 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,179 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 09:43 PM

I don't disagree that we need to get more from our forwards, but instead of worrying about their lack of production in a tournament we're undefeated in. Why aren't more of us looking at it optimistically, recognizing that we still have a lot of room to improve despite having won our group and only allowing 2 goals.

I'll complain and second guess like the rest if we lose, but I'd rather just enjoy the tournament while its going well.

True.  I was only put off by today's game really.  Kinda lame on the offensive side other than Doughty.  Our D is very very good though.  That could be what wins us gold.

Free darkmanx!