Photo
* * * * - 7 votes

Official 2014 Olympic Hockey Thread (Admin warning #316)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1600 replies to this topic

#841 miksteri

miksteri

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 11:01 PM

I think canada has a very good chance of winning it all, i mean all Crosby has to is fall and poof, its instant PP for can'eh'dians...

#842 FlashyG

FlashyG

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,144 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 11:24 PM

I think canada has a very good chance of winning it all, i mean all Crosby has to is fall and poof, its instant PP for can'eh'dians...

Teemu is that you?

Even if Crosby went down easily on that play today it was as blatant interference as they come.

You can't throw a body check on a guy when he's nowhere near the puck. Besides, if you actually look at the stats I wouldn't say Canada has had any help from the referee's, they've spent by far the least time with the man advantage of all the contenders, almost half as much time as the next closest to them.

Penalty Minutes Against

Finland 12

Canada 16

Russia 20

USA 20

Sweden 26

Penalty Minutes For

Sweden 30

Russia 28

USA 18

Finland 18

Canada 10

#843 darkmanx

darkmanx

Toronto's Finest

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,617 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 11:41 PM

tumblr_mmzhzbx5pS1rsvjp9o3_r1_250.gif

#844 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,554 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 02:08 AM

Here's two things, 1) That interference on Crosby was an interference, and that's coming from an American; 2) What makes Team USA exciting is Team USA...this year, how we're playing.  I don't blame Canadian fans for drawing on their rich history, why wouldn't you?  But, objectively looking at both teams, ours has played better.  That's why we're excited.  It always rings a bit untrue when I hear "we'll win because we've always been good" vs. "We'll win because we're playing good right now".  It's just a different perspective, and I'm not foolish enough to think that most Americans wouldn't be acting the exact same way if we had the history Canada has.  We don't, which is why we rely on how our team is currently playing...and currently we've playing VERY well against better teams than Canada has played.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#845 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• Gold Booster
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 02:22 AM

Our confidence in team Canada has nothing to do with our "rich history" and some belief of "we'll win because we've always been good".  Don't know where you've heard that. 

We're confident because, on paper, we have by far the best overall team.  Hands down.  No question.  How that translates to on-ice success is another story.

"The leader must never close the gap between himself and the group. If he does, he is no longer what he must be. He must walk a tightrope between the consent he must win and the control he must exert."
Vince Lombardi

When asked who won, Babcock said, “Well it doesn’t really matter as long as you don’t lose. It’s like going bear hunting, you take a slow guy with you in case the bear is hungry.”

#846 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,739 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 02:28 AM

So far the USA have been the best team, but there are obviously some buts as with every team:

The game against Russia should have been lost, the no goal was a gift. Other than the game againsat Russia they've also had an easy road in the RR. Slovakia and Slovenia are not exactly powerhouse teams. Same can be said for Canada versus Norway and Austria, their only test so far has been Finland and they did beat them although not in an impressive fashion. The difference between these two teams to me is obvious, for Canada the defense has come through and is carrying their struggling forward group as for the US the offense just keeps on producing, especially Kessel.

Anyway, it's obvious that some of the Canadian stars such as Crosby, MSL, Kunitz (wow does he suck), Tavares need to step up their games in a huge way. The game against Finland has been a perfect example why you need a guy like Lucic, he can create space and force his way to the net, because of his immense frame. Something I've noticed is, that Canada is having the same problems as the Wings, overthinking, overpassing and not crashing the net, which is very interesting given the amount of talent Canada has. Imagine if Canada would have picked Neal also, they would have had to not only think about Kunitz but also about him, doged a bullet there.

Russia also hasn't been on top of their game but their defense seems to be better than I thought at first. Sweden is - no surprise - having trouble with scoring and creating chances but I wouldn't count them out either.

Another team nobody seems to be talking about are the Swiss, their defense and goaltending has been stellar so far that's certainly a team I wouldn't underestimate they are for sure able to pull off an upset against some of the better teams.

Edited by frankgrimes, 17 February 2014 - 02:28 AM.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#847 FlashyG

FlashyG

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,144 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 02:45 AM

Here's two things, 1) That interference on Crosby was an interference, and that's coming from an American; 2) What makes Team USA exciting is Team USA...this year, how we're playing.  I don't blame Canadian fans for drawing on their rich history, why wouldn't you?  But, objectively looking at both teams, ours has played better.  That's why we're excited.  It always rings a bit untrue when I hear "we'll win because we've always been good" vs. "We'll win because we're playing good right now".  It's just a different perspective, and I'm not foolish enough to think that most Americans wouldn't be acting the exact same way if we had the history Canada has.  We don't, which is why we rely on how our team is currently playing...and currently we've playing VERY well against better teams than Canada has played.

USA is playing very well, but they aren't playing better teams.

Canada has played teams that are ranked #2, #9 and #15

The US has played teams that are ranked #3, #8 and #17

Its hard to say either has it any tougher than the other.

I also haven't read a single person say Canada will win because we've always been good. I also haven't read anyone saying Canada has played better than the US. I can however understand people thinking Canada will win because as Son of a Wing said, we have the best team on paper. That doesn't really mean much, as the games aren't played on paper, but if Canada wasn't a team to be feared most American fans wouldn't have been cheering for a Canada win in Regulation or a Finnish win in Overtime so they could avoid having to play them until a medal match-up

#848 T.Low

T.Low

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,895 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 03:06 AM

Last thing they need is another big guy that can't skate.  Add Phil Kessel or Patrick Kane to Finland's team and that game isn't even close.  Finland just doesn't have any scorers, otherwise, I thought they outplayed Canada.  Thornton's a great passer, and he's awesome on the NHL ice, but in big ice I think he struggles just as much as the rest of them.

Nope, that's not it. If the guy can find passing lanes in the NHL, he'd shred on big ice. I'll keep looking, thanks.

Can anyone else figure out why Jumbo Joe wasn't picked?

It's got to be that Stevie, KH, and Babs think he's a douchebag and don't want him around, and wouldn't really miss him with the roster they have, any way.

Edited by T.Low, 17 February 2014 - 03:09 AM.

#849 FlashyG

FlashyG

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,144 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 03:11 AM

Nope, that's not it. If the guy can find passing lanes in the NHL, he'd shred on big ice. I'll keep looking, thanks.

Can anyone else figure out why Jumbo Joe wasn't picked?

It's got to be that Stevie, KH, and Babs think he's a douchebag and don't want him around, and wouldn't really miss him with the roster they have, any way.

Joe didn't make it because they only had a certain # of center spots and they wanted guys with better foot speed for the bigger ice.

That's also why Eric Staal and Milan Lucic were left out. If these games were on NHL sized rinks I think you'd see a very different line-up.

Apparently they learned from Nagano and Turin that you need a different style of team for different sized rinks.

#850 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,605 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 08:00 AM

doughty.2-930x600.jpg

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#851 darkmanx

darkmanx

Toronto's Finest

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,617 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 08:08 AM

Last thing they need is another big guy that can't skate.  Add Phil Kessel or Patrick Kane to Finland's team and that game isn't even close.  Finland just doesn't have any scorers, otherwise, I thought they outplayed Canada.  Thornton's a great passer, and he's awesome on the NHL ice, but in big ice I think he struggles just as much as the rest of them.

How can you say that ? Canada's defense has shut everything down except for two deflections. They haven't played USA so there is no telling that adding Kessel and Kane to Finland would have made any difference, those two can be shut down by an elite defense.

#852 DickieDunn

DickieDunn

http://redwingsandotherthings.wordpress.com/

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,368 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 10:45 AM

To me the difference between Canada and the US is that Canada is a collection of great players, where the US players were chosen to play specific roles, at least that was the non a-hole reason given for leaving Ryan off the team.  Canada hasn't been as sharp in their games, though, despite looking so dominant on paper.  Maybe that's because they figure they don't have to be at the top of their game for the round robin and they'll get up for the elimination stage, which is looking like it'll probably be Switzerland and then USA to get to the medal game.  I that's they're thought process, it might bite them in the ass though.

Sweden is the top seed because they're the only team that won all their games in regulation.  They don't have an easy path though, they're probably going to play Russia or Finland to get to the medal round.  FInland showed that they're a pretty good team in their first 3 games, and Russia can still pull their heads out of their asses and be dangerous.

Oh this young man has had a very trying rookie season, with the litigation, the notoriety, his subsequent deportation to Canada and that country's refusal to accept him, well, I guess that's more than most 21-year-olds can handle... Ogie Ogilthorpe!

#853 wings4thecup06

wings4thecup06

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 796 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 10:55 AM

hmm. The way I see it thus far is that no team has metaphorically stuck their hand up and emphatically said 'I'm the best team here'.

Sweden have been brought down mightily by the loss of Z, and thus struggled to win 2 games they should have cruised. Lucky for them I reckon they've got a ticket to the SF, because I can't see them losing to either Austria or Slovenia.

USA look great, but, IMO they got badly outplayed by the Russians, and were lucky really to win that game.

Canada can't find their offence and don't seem to be clicking cohesively as a group. That said they're still my favourites - too much talent on that team.

Russia I can't quite fathom. Their D has been much better than I expected, as has Bobrovsky in net. But there's something about them so far that makes me uneasy. It feels like they're forcing it maybe? I just don't see them getting by the Fins in the QFs if both teams get that far.

Finland I thought, were dead and buried when they announced they'd lost Fil, Koivu and later Barkov, but wow did they ever push the Canadiens. If they play this organised and well defensively, they'd give anyone a hard time. They're currently my underdogs. 

temp 1

#854 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,575 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 11:05 AM

Slovenia, Swiss, Russia, Czech Republic Advance

Sweden beats Slovenia, Russia beats Finland, Canada beats Swiss, USA beats Czech

Russia beats Sweden to advance to the Gold Medal game

USA beats Canada to advance to Gold medal game

Sweden beats Canada for Bronze

Russia beats USA for Gold

...of course I would love for the Swiss to upset Canada...Hiller is lights out!

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

#855 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• Gold Booster
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 12:25 PM

Ranking the Czechs ahead of Sweden, USA and Canada is crap.  So is Slovakia at 6th ahead of the US.  Don't even get me started on Finland being 2nd.

esteef

Finland has won a medal in 4 of the last 5 Olympics. No other country can claim that.   Maybe people should stop underestimating them...

"The leader must never close the gap between himself and the group. If he does, he is no longer what he must be. He must walk a tightrope between the consent he must win and the control he must exert."
Vince Lombardi

When asked who won, Babcock said, “Well it doesn’t really matter as long as you don’t lose. It’s like going bear hunting, you take a slow guy with you in case the bear is hungry.”

#856 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,605 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 12:36 PM

The coach of Switzerland women's Olympic Hockey team kinda looks like Joel McHale.

Three naught for the Canada's women in the first.

#857 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

• Silver Booster
  • 8,575 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 12:39 PM

I think he is saying that because those "other" teams rankings are such because of the "other" teams they played allowed them to have higher rankings.  Those are actually "seeds" not rankings anyway.

Lets break it down this way instead of using watered down seeding:

Canada played Norway (3-1 win) Austria (6-0 win) and Finland (2-1 OT win.)  Looking at those 3 team the only challenge should have been Finland, if you consider the amount of NHL talent on each of those team.  As we can see, they almost lost to Finland and the only "non-challenge" was Austria.

USA played Slovakia (7-1 win) Russia (3-2 win SO) and Slovenia (5-1 win.)  Looking at those 3 teams, the only Non-Challenge should have been Slovenia (NHL talent-wise) yet they rolled through Slovakia pretty good, almost lost to a great Russian team and rolled through a Slovenian team that played out of their element considering the lack NHL talent on it. They upset the Slovakians who were well represented by the NHL.

That all being said, USA had the tougher division NHL-talent-wise and outside of Russia (who should have given them fits anyway) pretty much rolled through the NHL talent.  Canada had the easiest division of any of the top 4 teams (RUS, USA, SWE, CAN) and only rolled through 1 non-NHL talent team.  They held their breaths against Norway and struggled mightily against Finland. 

Canada's defense scares me, but other than that, they don't pose a threat to the USA.  Not that they have a team of non-talented players, on the contrary, but it's like the are having issues gelling at the moment.  If they can get that problem taken care of, then they will be scary.  Goalies are no contest, USA has, above and beyond, the better goalies.  (as long as they don't have to play Howard.)

So, to sum up the "rankings are crap" statement, considering the amount of non-nhl talent in Canada's division, they should have been 3-0 and outscored the other by 4 and 5 goals.  USA had the hardest division and other than Russia (who we all expected to be a great team) pretty much had no problem winning and by large margins. Also, since there are only 12 teams in the tourney, I would say that could be another reason why he said those rankings are crap.

I'd like to know which #2 ranked team Canada played though? Finland? No way were the ranked #2 out of the 12 teams...I give Finland a #5 and the other two #11 and #12.  I give Russia at least #3 (at the start of the Tourney) and Slovakia is top 10 with Slovenia between #9/#10.

Top four teams are by far: USA, CAN, RUS, SWE  followed by FIN, SLV, CZE, SUI rounded out with SLO, NOR, LAT, AUS...SUI is actually has played better than a #7/#8 team and could cause some problems if they advance to play Canada on Wed.  Hiller has a 0.00 GAA right now. They only allowed 1 goal by the top ranked Swede's.  Their problem is scoring though.

So Canada has played a #5, #11 and #12 ranked team, while USA has played a #3, #6 and #9...

Edited by LeftWinger, 17 February 2014 - 12:42 PM.

www.thinkdunes.com

#858 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,605 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 12:41 PM

Rankings should be done alphabetically.

#859 marcaractac

marcaractac

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,315 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 12:52 PM

It was the same song and dance after the round robin last Olympics. Canada struggling, USA looking fantastic. Canada is doomed, USA for gold. Canada has no chance against USA, yadda yadda yadda. We'll see who the best teams are once being eliminated is a possible outcome. 

#860 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

• Silver Booster
  • 8,575 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 12:57 PM

is Flashy saying that American's were cheering for a Canada regulation win so we don't have to meet them in a medal round?  Please....

I was rooting for a outright Canadian lose.  I don't want the Canadians to win anything ever.  I could care less if we have to play them or not, because nothing is better than watching the Canadian teams lose.  I have already explained that the ONLY thing that scares me about the Canadians is their D.  Their O is incohesive and their goalies are nowhere near as good as Quick/Miller... As it stands, if all "top" teams advance, it will be USA v. Canada to see who goes to Gold round or Bronze round.  Nothing is guaranteed and the USA could possibly lose to a very talented CZE or a SLV team set on revenge.  Canada is going to have fits with the Swiss if they aren't somehow upset by Latvia.

But Flashy, to say the US is trying to avoid Canada is crap.  I would love to eliminate them in whichever round we get to play them in, but like stated above, I want to see Canada lose all the time, against whoever, because it is great to see the crying that comes after and the whining... I hope to see them in the semi's, but they better get their O together because compared to the rest of their preliminary games, the USA is Omnipotent.... (not to be confused with omnipotent-hudler)

and that, my friend Flashy, is the Juck  f****** Pott...

www.thinkdunes.com