Photo
* * * * - 7 votes

Official 2014 Olympic Hockey Thread (Admin warning #316)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1600 replies to this topic

#921 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,199 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 02:33 PM

Z, and that is what I said early on, Canada's D scares me, and also stated that they better get there offense in gear if they want to beat the USA...but was told I don't about team Canada. Oh well...

But I wouldn't be too proud of 6 goals against Austria...over half of your offensive output against Austria.. Sure we had a 7 goal outburst, but that was against Slovakia...a MUCH better opponent than Austria.

But let's drink to a Friday matchup and when its over get back to all being Wings fans!

God I can't wait for that...  I thought Canada played pretty good against Austria.  Our cycle was really god all game and the boys were moving well.  Just need to cash in more.  Finland was lining up at the blue line all game, it was hard to watch, and Norway I thought played a really good game.  They were hustling hard, and in some cases taking some pretty good runs at our guys.  That takes a toll.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#922 hillbillywingsfan

hillbillywingsfan

Awww poor butch

• Gold Booster
  • 3,570 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 02:36 PM

Blah Blah Blah..How about wait till the quarter finals begin, congrats USA on being the best in meaningless games, happy now?

I CAME IN LIKE A WRECKING BALL!! oh im sorry....hahahah

Damn...sorry....I just sang a miley cyrus song=(

Edited by hillbillywingsfan, 17 February 2014 - 02:41 PM.

msg-10491-1258682020.jpg

I LIVE IN TEXAS SO I DON'T DESERVE HOCKEY

#923 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,641 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 02:43 PM

Nah, Sweden was the best in the meaningless games...but those meaningless games have allowed both of our teams to get some extra practice in and rest up for the biggies!  I wouldn't call them meaningless, because it would suck to have to play the extra game tomorrow.  And that is something BOTH USA and Canadian fans will agree upon!

Hey hillbilly, at least Miley is American! You could have accidently sang Beiber! (rimshot please)

Ok, ok... :hysterical:

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Aww You Mad Bro? Are You Butt Hurt?

#924 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,199 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 02:47 PM

Nah, Sweden was the best in the meaningless games...but those meaningless games have allowed both of our teams to get some extra practice in and rest up for the biggies!  I wouldn't call them meaningless, because it would suck to have to play the extra game tomorrow.  And that is something BOTH USA and Canadian fans will agree upon!

Hey hillbilly, at least Miley is American! You could have accidently sang Beiber! (rimshot please)

Sweden's in tough heading to the medal round without Z though.  I wish his back held out and he could still be here.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#925 marcaractac

marcaractac

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,327 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 02:47 PM

Hey now, Beiber was a harmless kid singing songs on Youtube before Americans got hold of him  :lol:

I do hope we all get the Canada/USA match up Friday. But holy hell it will be World War 3 in these forums if it happens lol

Edited by marcaractac, 17 February 2014 - 02:48 PM.

#926 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,641 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 02:59 PM

World War 3 is right! Thankfully I will be at work for 16 hours that day and night and although I will be able to watch the game, I will have limited access to LGW.com, so at least it won't be me getting suspended from here that day! :lol:

Edited by LeftWinger, 17 February 2014 - 02:59 PM.

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Aww You Mad Bro? Are You Butt Hurt?

#927 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,041 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 03:14 PM

At least if it's going to be a World War we know who has all the GUNS!

Kronwalled.net - Keep Yer Head up Kid

MONEY ON THE BOARD: $10/Kronwalling (1), $1/goal by: Nyquist, Tatar, Jurco, Sheahan, disney.com (1), Andersson, Dekeyser, Pulkinnen, Ouellet, or Sproul.  2X MULTIPLIER: disney.com.  CONSOLATION PRIZE: $5/goal by: Datsyuk (3), $3/goal by: Z (1). MOTB TOTAL: $30

#928 vladdy16

vladdy16

The rest are neophytes.

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 6,184 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 03:46 PM

I CAME IN LIKE A WRECKING BALL!! oh im sorry....hahahah

Damn...sorry....I just sang a miley cyrus song=(

I'm checking with Matt to see if that's a bannable offense.

Can't wait to read the "Phoenix: I still think it's a hockey market" chapter of Gary Bettman's autobiography. I'm guessing it's going to be chapter 11.

- mjlegend 3/9/2011

#929 hillbillywingsfan

hillbillywingsfan

Awww poor butch

• Gold Booster
  • 3,570 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 04:36 PM

I'm checking with Matt to see if that's a bannable offense.

hahahaha If not it should be....

msg-10491-1258682020.jpg

I LIVE IN TEXAS SO I DON'T DESERVE HOCKEY

#930 Ekmanc

Ekmanc

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 845 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 04:55 PM

Too much pointless arguing here, who gives a s*** what team was best in the group stage.

If it's 60-40 in Canada's favour or team USA's favour when they meet is utterly irrelevant, it's one elimination game and absolutely anything can happen.

#931 Wheelchairsuperhero

Wheelchairsuperhero

Wizard

• PipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 05:05 PM

As for people (not gonna single anyone out) hinting towards Canadians being the worst fans in hockey, I guess you all now know how people feel about most Red Wings fans. Talk about the pot calling the kettle black when it comes to entitlement.

It's also funny how the way a lot of people here are acting towards this tournament goes exactly against what the Olympics are supposed to represent in the first place  :lol:

I'm actually loving it. Seeing all the divided national pride on here and knowing when the Olympics are done we all go back to being Wings fans. As long as things aren't vicious and overly insulting I think the back and forth is good fun. Oh and go USA!

#932 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,041 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 05:13 PM

I'm actually loving it. Seeing all the divided national pride on here and knowing when the Olympics are done we all go back to being Wings fans. As long as things aren't vicious and overly insulting I think the back and forth is good fun. Oh and go USA

Me too!  That's what this is all about.  Until the Olympics are over you Canadians might as well be Penguins fans!  Yeah, I went there.  :innocent:

MONEY ON THE BOARD: $10/Kronwalling (1), $1/goal by: Nyquist, Tatar, Jurco, Sheahan, disney.com (1), Andersson, Dekeyser, Pulkinnen, Ouellet, or Sproul.  2X MULTIPLIER: disney.com.  CONSOLATION PRIZE: $5/goal by: Datsyuk (3), $3/goal by: Z (1). MOTB TOTAL: $30

#933 BottleOfSmoke

BottleOfSmoke

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,033 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 05:16 PM

You know, it really hurts me to see LGWers that I care about arguing over Canada/USA and which team is going to win silver/bronze.

tumblr_n0zo9ryu1L1qzx8cgo1_500_zps1bc2a3

el_viking_colored_by_elshazam_zps5fb7be1

VolvoOverjoyedwithSwedishpatriotism_e4fd

Can't we all just get along?

LGWsig_zpsa75c5d1e.jpg

#934 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,063 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 05:43 PM

Disapointed by the lack of Kessel on p.47

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#935 dropkickshanahans

dropkickshanahans

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 05:56 PM

I gotchya

y6yra2ym.jpg

#936 RedWang

RedWang

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,218 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 07:03 PM

This is all too funny.

#937 marcaractac

marcaractac

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,327 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 07:06 PM

I gotchya y6yra2ym.jpg

A face only a mother could love. To this day I do not understand how he and his sister have the same parents lol

#938 darkmanx

darkmanx

Toronto's Finest

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 07:06 PM

I'm disappointed in the lack of this guy in the entire thread.

tumblr_n12ghdbNSJ1qftd3ho1_500.png

#939 FlashyG

FlashyG

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,148 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 07:26 PM

is Flashy saying that American's were cheering for a Canada regulation win so we don't have to meet them in a medal round?  Please....

I was rooting for a outright Canadian lose.  I don't want the Canadians to win anything ever.  I could care less if we have to play them or not, because nothing is better than watching the Canadian teams lose.  I have already explained that the ONLY thing that scares me about the Canadians is their D.  Their O is incohesive and their goalies are nowhere near as good as Quick/Miller... As it stands, if all "top" teams advance, it will be USA v. Canada to see who goes to Gold round or Bronze round.  Nothing is guaranteed and the USA could possibly lose to a very talented CZE or a SLV team set on revenge.  Canada is going to have fits with the Swiss if they aren't somehow upset by Latvia.

But Flashy, to say the US is trying to avoid Canada is crap.  I would love to eliminate them in whichever round we get to play them in, but like stated above, I want to see Canada lose all the time, against whoever, because it is great to see the crying that comes after and the whining... I hope to see them in the semi's, but they better get their O together because compared to the rest of their preliminary games, the USA is Omnipotent.... (not to be confused with omnipotent-hudler)

and that, my friend Flashy, is the Juck  f****** Pott...

I was referring to the hundreds of posters on HFboards who seemed to be trying to figure out any scenario they could where they were on the opposite side of the bracket.

Posts like these

As a USA fan I'd like to see USA not **** the bed against Slovenia and secure the 3 seed, then have anything other than Canada winning in overtime happen. If Canada wins in OT I believe that puts them into 2nd place and sets up a semis match with USA. I'd much rather have that matchup project to be Sweden.

USA wants Canada at #1 for bracket purposes.

Basically the only scenario that's bad for the US is if Canada wins in OT/SO

Yup...if either team wins in ot/so, they're the #2 seed, setting up a semi final match up with usa most likely. If it goes to ot, we then want Finland to win...

If the game goes to OT...Go Finland! Otherwise hoping for a Canada win in regulation.

A Finland win in regulation would be good as well. In that case Canada would play Russia in the quarters.

The only real scenario that the US should be worried about is a Canada OT/SO win. Any other result (FIN win in any manor or a CAN regulation win) would suit us favorably.

That's just from a tiny portion of that thread...Maybe Red Wing fans are a little more open to a tougher challenge on the way to gold, as I didn't see anyone posting thoughts like that here, but it seems that the wider team USA fanbase really didn't want to have to face Canada unless a medal was on the line.

#940 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,041 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 07:39 PM

I was referring to the hundreds of posters on HFboards who seemed to be trying to figure out any scenario they could where they were on the opposite side of the bracket.

Posts like these

That's just from a tiny portion of that thread...Maybe Red Wing fans are a little more open to a tougher challenge on the way to gold, as I didn't see anyone posting thoughts like that here, but it seems that the wider team USA fanbase really didn't want to have to face Canada unless a medal was on the line.

I can see how you came to that conclusion, but any real fan wants to go through the best to be the best.  Otherwise, what's the point?  It won't be good for my heart, but I ALWAYS want a USA/Canada match.  WJC.  WC.  Olympics.  I've been waiting four years for redemption.  The time is ours.

What's a mother not to love?

BStBiI1CEAA1AX2.jpg-large.jpeg