• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
MabusIncarnate

Official 2014 Olympic Hockey Thread (Admin warning #316)

Rate this topic

Czechs were not ready, really sloppy. Got it together later on, but still didn't have much offense to finish it out.

Go Sweden!

I liked the way they played in the second half of the game, but yeah, they were clearly the inferior team and not ready to go. I hate to agree with Pierre McGuire, but kind of some baffling omissions by the Czech front office. Hudler and Vrbata are both very capable offensive players and would have helped a lot.

Fun game, the Wings players played pretty well. Better get some coffee brewing for this USA game.

CBC. Too late?

Just to b perfectly clear, CBC refers to their coverage as a "webcast" and is partly being unwritten by funds that come out of my pocket, being a Canadian citizen and taxpayer.

It's only for Canadians.

You guys keep all the good stuff to yourself. Like this:

https://twitter.com/Molson_Canadian/status/432553007285145600/photo/1

(free beer fridge at Olympics that only opens with Canadian passport)

I'm a little behind cause I PVR'd this game. Czech's just scored their second goal but Ericsson looks pretty bad

Probably our best overall d-man today actually. OEL and Karlsson were both quite bad defensively at times, and Oduya/Hjalmarsson had some disaster shifts and showed their lack of offensive talent.

Nyquist was great. I would not be surprised to see him moved up to Z's line eventually.

Overall Swedes had an okay first game. Glad they didn't get too much of a free ride, they needed a test to see what they need to work on.

I don't think the whistle affected the play, but by the rulebook it shouldn't have counted. Which begs the question, does intent to blow exist in IIHF?

I don't know anything about the international rulebook, but by my ideal rules, the goal should not have counted. I do however think Canada played well enough to win, and I'm sure in the first two periods there were controversial calls both ways. Besides, it's only the round-robin. It's the gold medal game that counts, and that is still 0-0.

Probably our best overall d-man today actually. OEL and Karlsson were both quite bad defensively at times, and Oduya/Hjalmarsson had some disaster shifts and showed their lack of offensive talent.

Nyquist was great. I would not be surprised to see him moved up to Z's line eventually.

Overall Swedes had an okay first game. Glad they didn't get too much of a free ride, they needed a test to see what they need to work on.

That second goal was a result of him running around all over the place. Bad pinching and getting lost in the defensive zone. Sweden thoroughly dominated most of the game so a defensive defensemen isn't going to have a lot of work to do. Looked a lot like he did for the red wings lately

I thought Karlsson looked pretty damn good tbh. All the swedes forwards were good

Edited by joesuffP

I don't think the whistle affected the play, but by the rulebook it shouldn't have counted. Which begs the question, does intent to blow exist in IIHF?

I don't know anything about the international rulebook, but by my ideal rules, the goal should not have counted. I do however think Canada played well enough to win, and I'm sure in the first two periods there were controversial calls both ways. Besides, it's only the round-robin. It's the gold medal game that counts, and that is still 0-0.

In every sport I've ever played where officials had whistles, a blown whistle means the play is dead. The US-Canada thing wasn't even the intent to blow argument, the whistle had been blown.

I know this is kindof stating the obvious but DAMN...what I wouldnt give for a Karlsson/Ekman-Larsson type guy on the Wings blue line...

Really missin ol Nick Lidstrom watching Swedens offensive d-men win that game.

Edited by RedWang

I know this is kindof stating the obvious but DAMN...what I wouldnt give for a Karlsson/Ekman-Larsson type guy on the Wings blue line...

Really missin ol Nick Lidstrom watching Swedens offensive d-men win that game.

I would love Ekman-Larsson on the Wings. He is a great player.

My Olympic wish is for everyone to play nice in the Olympic discussion thread.

In YFMB's name, amen.

I <3 you all, even those of you who are cheering for Canada :lol:

My Olympic wish is for everyone on LGW to be as awesome as you and not crap on other countries for BS conspiracy theory reasons.

No goal....no goal...no goal...and of course Canada wins by 1 goal. Typical of Canadian teams, need a little help to win...just look at Mens division...drawn from a hat my ass...

I suggest you do a little bit of research before you start throwing around outrageous statements such as this one.

A) Qualification for the men's tournament at the 2014 Winter Olympics was determined by the IIHF World Ranking following the 2012 Men's World Ice Hockey Championships. The top nine teams in the World Ranking received automatic berths into the Olympics, while all other teams had an opportunity to qualify for the remaining three spots in the Olympics.

B) Using the IIHF World Ranking points system, the current year received full value, and each preceding year was worth 25% less.[2] The following was a ranking based on points already accumulated toward Olympic qualification of all countries at the top level, or who are ranked amongst them.

World ranking Team WC 2012

(100%) WC 2011

(75%) WC 2010

(50%) OLY 2010

(50%) WC 2009

(25%) Total 1 23px-Flag_of_Russia.svg.pngRussia 1200 825 580 520 300 3425 2 23px-Flag_of_Finland.svg.pngFinland 1100 900 520 560 265 3345 3 23px-Flag_of_the_Czech_Republic.svg.pngCzech Republic 1120 840 600 510 260 3330 4 23px-Flag_of_Sweden.svg.pngSweden 1040 870 560 530 280 3280 5 23px-Flag_of_Canada.svg.pngCanada 1060 795 510 600 290 3235 6 23px-Flag_of_Slovakia.svg.pngSlovakia 1160 705 450 550 235 3100 7 23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.pngUnited States 1020 750 440 580 275 3065 8 21px-Flag_of_Norway.svg.pngNorway 1000 780 480 470 230 2960 9 16px-Flag_of_Switzerland.svg.pngSwitzerland 920 720 530 500 240 2910

Pool A

1) Russia

6) Slovakia

7) USA

Pool B

2) Finland

5) Canada

8) Norway

Pool C

3) Czech Republic

4) Sweden

9) Switzerland

- Slovenia, Austria and Latvia qualified for the final three spots in the tournament

Denigrating a country or it's citizens is completely unacceptable. Anyone participating in such a discussion will be persona non grata for an appropriate length of time.

The Olympics were created to encourage good will and inspire friendly competition. Please let's enjoy these games in that intended spirit.

Also, I would like to take this opportunity to remind everyone about the "Report" button. It truly is your best friend behind Matt. If you see a post you feel is against forum guidelines, it is VERY helpful to use the report function.

Denigrating a country or it's citizens is completely unacceptable. Anyone participating in such a discussion will be persona non grata for an appropriate length of time.

The Olympics were created to encourage good will and inspire friendly competition. Please let's enjoy these games in that intended spirit.

Also, I would like to take this opportunity to remind everyone about the "Report" button. It truly is your best friend behind Matt. If you see a post you feel is against forum guidelines, it is VERY helpful to use the report function.

There's a report button?

Back on topic, it sucks the games all go on during the day, I work and can't watch them :(