Photo
* * * * - 7 votes

Official 2014 Olympic Hockey Thread (Admin warning #316)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1600 replies to this topic

#1201 hillbillywingsfan

hillbillywingsfan

Awww poor butch

• Gold Booster
  • 3,531 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 02:22 PM

Try watching the game. Canada has played a near flawless game. All the credit goes to Latvia for giving it their all to not get scored on. Not to mention their goalie playing out of his mind. Canada has dominated, not struggled. Of course the score does not reflect that.

I am watching it. Don't go to that old stand by just because someone isn't agreeing with a skewed view I apparently didn't watch any of the Canadian games. I have and I will still say that they should of been scoring more on these teams. So with what you are saying does that mean the US has played pretty much high school teams (save Russia) this whole tournament so far because we have scored more than 2 goals in all of our games?

msg-10491-1258682020.jpg

I LIVE IN TEXAS SO I DON'T DESERVE HOCKEY

#1202 SDavis35

SDavis35

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 934 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 02:22 PM

Yet there were hoards of them during every other game they've played so far. :rolleyes:  Something tells me that would be the case right now if Canada were leading 3-0.

There's also the fact that this Latvian goaltender is playing incredibly well. Almost Mrazekian. (Can that be a term please?) 

I think I enjoyed the goalie fending off a team of all-stars more than Canada scoring. 

#1203 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,618 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 02:23 PM

...and the hockey world gets their NHL All-Star Team match-up...Too bad it isn't for the Gold.

Go USA! (on a smaller scale, good luck Babs and Stevie)

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Aww You Mad Bro? Are You Butt Hurt?

#1204 marcaractac

marcaractac

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,326 posts

You are absolutely correct about Latvia playing out of their minds, especially the goalie.  All one has to do is look at the shot differential to know that.  However, you brought any ribbing you get on yourself.  You invited it, practically begged for it, now you're upset when you get it?

I'm upset? That's news to me lol

#1205 FlashyG

FlashyG

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,145 posts

Latvia's goalie just played the best game any single player has played in this entire tournament.

Should be a good match-up with the US, although losing Tavares is going to hurt.

#1206 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,015 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 02:25 PM

A horrible Latvia team? I guess you haven't been watching this game then. For an under matched team, they have played very well. I give full props to them, as this game has nothing to do with a lack of effort from Canada. But of course everyone will look at the final score and just laugh their asses off, which is typical.

I agree with you, but realistically, if USA had this much adversity playing Latvia you guys would be all over it.  Amirite?  And it's not just this game, it's been the story of the entire tourney for Canada which is why they are getting so much heat.

At least we can now look ahead to a guaranteed CAN/USA matchup and let the players do all the talking on Friday.

Kronwalled.net - Keep Yer Head up Kid

MONEY ON THE BOARD: $10/Kronwalling (1), $1/goal by: Nyquist, Tatar, Jurco, Sheahan, disney.com (1), Andersson, Dekeyser, Pulkinnen, Ouellet, or Sproul.  2X MULTIPLIER: disney.com.  CONSOLATION PRIZE: $5/goal by: Datsyuk (3), $3/goal by: Z (1). MOTB TOTAL: $30

#1207 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,618 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 02:26 PM

...can't believe the Lats...they really stepped it up eliminating Swiss and almost causing Canada a heart attack...I think until that final Icing, all of Canada were in AFIB....

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Aww You Mad Bro? Are You Butt Hurt?

#1208 marcaractac

marcaractac

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,326 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 02:26 PM

I agree with you, but realistically, if USA had this much adversity playing Latvia you guys would be all over it.  Amirite?  And it's not just this game, it's been the story of the entire tourney for Canada which is why they are getting so much heat.

At least we can now look ahead to a guaranteed CAN/USA matchup and let the players do all the talking on Friday.

I'm sure there are Canadian's who would be all over it if that were to happen. I wouldn't be one of them, as I think it is foolish. Which is why I poke fun at heckling (even though people keep taking me serious when I do). But Friday will be a dandy!

#1209 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,052 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 02:28 PM

Gosh, I'm so looking forward to 2 days of childish willy-waving between American and Canadian fans on here :rolleyes:

Ah well, go Big Rig, Alfie, Kronner, Nyquist and Monster.

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#1210 wingsfan4795

wingsfan4795

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 02:28 PM

Canada hasn't played a bad game yet, but doesn't the inability to score concern you Canadian fans? It seems like doughty and weber are the only guys who can score.

Good rule of thumb is always take an octopus everywhere. Better to have one and not need it than find yourself thinking, "Damn, I wish I had that octopus".

-Buppy

#1211 sibiriak

sibiriak

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,644 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 02:30 PM

LMFAO Latvian d man closed the puck on the goal line with his glove and refs waived the goal off.The war room is in Moscow,right :lol:

Sorry, hand on puck is not reviewable. Puck didn't cross the goal line, that's reviewable.

War room location is in Sochi and it is not staffed by Russians but bu IIHF officials that (apparently) have no nationality :P

#1212 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,851 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 02:32 PM

AFter seeing the heroic fight by Lativia, I'm not sure anymore that the Swiss joked.

Canadas forwards need to step it up.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#1213 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,198 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 02:32 PM

HUGE kudos to the Latvian goalie and his D blocking shots like animals.  My heart is still racing.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#1214 FlashyG

FlashyG

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,145 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 02:33 PM

Pretty much this, although I would point out that Canada didn't really struggle with Latvia...they struggled with Gudlevskis.

Defensively they're still playing great though, but the offence hasn't been clicking other than the one game Duchene was in for. Depending on how serious the injury to Tavares is, I guess he'll be back in for the semi-final.

#1215 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,198 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 02:34 PM

Canada hasn't played a bad game yet, but doesn't the inability to score concern you Canadian fans? It seems like doughty and weber are the only guys who can score.

In a way yeah.  Perry got robbed 4 times point blank.  Some of those guys need to bury it, but we're happy I guess until we see Canada lose.  Next game will really test our D.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#1216 sibiriak

sibiriak

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,644 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 02:36 PM

It makes me so sad for players like Pav who so desperately wanted to win gold for their country in front of a hometown crowd, when the powers that be couldn't set aside their pride and KHL pushing agenda long enough to give the coaching staff control of the team in order to make a run. So shortsighted.

There's no evidence whatever that the Russian coaching staff was in any way pressured to take KHL players over NHL ones. It is a non-issue. I ask again, who is there in the NHL, that would've been better than what we had in Sochi?

#1217 Ekmanc

Ekmanc

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 815 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 02:38 PM

There's no evidence whatever that the Russian coaching staff was in any way pressured to take KHL players over NHL ones. It is a non-issue. I ask again, who is there in the NHL, that would've been better than what we had in Sochi?

I think it was more about the ice time they got and not what players they had.

#1218 sibiriak

sibiriak

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,644 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 02:40 PM

I think it was more about the ice time they got and not what players they had.

OK, who were the KHL players on the team that got more ice time than any NHLers, although the NHlers played better than those KHLers?

Edited by sibiriak, 19 February 2014 - 03:02 PM.

#1219 pucktividi

pucktividi

the usual suspect

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 02:48 PM

Sorry, hand on puck is not reviewable. Puck didn't cross the goal line, that's reviewable.

War room location is in Sochi and it is not staffed by Russians but bu IIHF officials that (apparently) have no nationality :P

I was joking and you know that :lol:

#1220 Detroit # 1 Fan

Detroit # 1 Fan

Truculence.

• HoF Booster
  • 19,040 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 02:50 PM

Gonna be two good hockey games on Friday. Latvia were something else today, Sandis Ozolinsh is af****** vet.

#NOMOREKINDL