Photo
* * * * - 7 votes

Official 2014 Olympic Hockey Thread (Admin warning #316)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1600 replies to this topic

#1241 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,569 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 04:47 PM

OV and DAtsyuk did play on PP together and that didn't work much better. But if we had Datsyuk-OV-somebody on the first line, then there would have had to be Malkin-Kovy-Radulov. Which would have created 2 untested lines instead of one that was working pretty well and one that wasn't. it's a tough call.

In hindsight, I wish we went with OV-Datsyuk-Radulov, Tarasenko-Tikhonov(or Tereshchenko) - Kovy, and Semin-Malkin-Nichushkin (or Kulemin). But then, I wasn't at their practices, so maybe those combos were tried and didn't click.

One bright spot for Russia was Tarasenko.  Kid played good.  He's the real deal.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#1242 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,096 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 04:53 PM

The other games that most of us were on here were on the weekend.  This game was on during work hours, hence the drop in Canadian activity.

agreed, i can't even watch it at work, i had to check the scores on breaks, or i would have been on here... There is nothing to be ashamed of in Canada barely scraping out the win when they outshot Latvia 57-16, that goalie was simply unreal, he could have stopped a golf ball in a soccer net

#1243 darkmanx

darkmanx

Toronto's Finest

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,617 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 06:50 PM

agreed, i can't even watch it at work, i had to check the scores on breaks, or i would have been on here... There is nothing to be ashamed of in Canada barely scraping out the win when they outshot Latvia 57-16, that goalie was simply unreal, he could have stopped a golf ball in a soccer net

We were watching it at work. I dropped down our web filter and we were streaming it onto the projector in our training room, and the boss ordered in some pizza, it wasf****** awesome. All the salary people didn't do s*** today but watch the game lol.

Canada absolutely dominated the game. Should of ended up 3-1 but the goal got called back even though the Lativan player pulled the puck outta the net with his hands. So pumped for another chance at the Gold.

Edited by darkmanx, 19 February 2014 - 06:51 PM.

#1244 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,745 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 06:54 PM

I wouldn't be surprised one bit if the Lativian goalie played himself into a two way contract with this performance. There is nothing to be ashamed off facing such a hot goalie but now Canada is facing a hot goalie and a potent offense, they need their forwards to break out.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#1245 FlashyG

FlashyG

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,144 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 07:00 PM

I wouldn't be surprised one bit if the Lativian goalie played himself into a two way contract with this performance. There is nothing to be ashamed off facing such a hot goalie but now Canada is facing a hot goalie and a potent offense, they need their forwards to break out.

He already had one.

His GM was in the building watching his future goalie frustrate the hell out of his offence.

Stevie Y must have felt pretty conflicted during the game.

#1246 darkmanx

darkmanx

Toronto's Finest

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,617 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 07:57 PM

bIHKlK0.jpg

Selanne letting Ovi know who is the greatest 8.

#1247 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,182 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 08:06 PM

bIHKlK0.jpg

Love it.  Though as a lonnnnngggg time Selanne fan, I prefer him as #13.

Selanne.jpg

I was at the game in his rookie season where he got 48-51 in a 7-6 win over Dallas and I'll tell you one thing, If Ovie EVER puts on the show Selanne has on many occasions, he will maybe eventually find a fan in me again.  His last few seasons of heartless lameness has turned me on him.

Or was it 49-52?  Long ass time ago  :lol:

Edited by Z Winged Dangler, 19 February 2014 - 08:11 PM.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

#1248 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,605 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 08:10 PM

three-chairs-2.jpg?w=300&h=179

for

ted-nolan.jpg

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#1249 FlashyG

FlashyG

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,144 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 08:10 PM

bIHKlK0.jpg

I think he was actually still complaining that Crosby dove.

#1250 darkmanx

darkmanx

Toronto's Finest

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,617 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 08:40 PM

tumblr_inline_n19iz8UquR1st98di.jpg

He's ready for Canada.

#1251 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,096 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 08:43 PM

bIHKlK0.jpg

looks like stallone

stallone-fight.jpg?w=620

YO OVIE, I DID IT!!!

#1252 FlashyG

FlashyG

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,144 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 09:09 PM

tumblr_inline_n19iz8UquR1st98di.jpg

He's ready for Canada.

But he's not ready for Wonder Cindy....Nobody is.

gzp3X1U.jpg

#1253 DickieDunn

DickieDunn

http://redwingsandotherthings.wordpress.com/

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,373 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 09:17 PM

He's ready for Canada.

But he's not ready for Wonder Cindy....Nobody is.

I don't know which is better

Oh this young man has had a very trying rookie season, with the litigation, the notoriety, his subsequent deportation to Canada and that country's refusal to accept him, well, I guess that's more than most 21-year-olds can handle... Ogie Ogilthorpe!

#1254 BottleOfSmoke

BottleOfSmoke

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,962 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 09:32 PM

@murphPPress: Backes is a phenomenal quote: "Im the beef. Dustin Browns the pig or pork and then (Ryan) Callahans the chicken. Thats our meat line"

I don't know what to say, I just felt this was really important to share.

LGWsig_zpsa75c5d1e.jpg

#1255 kylee

kylee

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,454 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 09:35 PM

Kind of hoped to see Latvia pull it off just to see such a monumental upset. About half way through the game it looked like the entire game was being played on their side of the ice. Impressed they stuck around as long as they did while being totally over-matched. I can't stand the Canadian smugness of CBC, which is what I watched this on, but Canada is always going to have a team that is going to challenge for Gold.

#1256 FlashyG

FlashyG

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,144 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 09:36 PM

@murphPPress: Backes is a phenomenal quote: "Im the beef. Dustin Browns the pig or pork and then (Ryan) Callahans the chicken. Thats our meat line"

I don't know what to say, I just felt this was really important to share.

I can't wait until we Canadians get to beat some American meat.

Wait..that doesn't sound right  :confused:

#1257 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,182 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 09:39 PM

Kind of hoped to see Latvia pull it off just to see such a monumental upset. About half way through the game it looked like the entire game was being played on their side of the ice. Impressed they stuck around as long as they did while being totally over-matched. I can't stand the Canadian smugness of CBC, which is what I watched this on, but Canada is always going to have a team that is going to challenge for Gold.

NBC is exactly the same on the other side of the coin.  But I will concede the fact that Glen Healy is the WORST color guy in the history of the profession.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

#1258 FlashyG

FlashyG

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,144 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 09:41 PM

NBC is exactly the same on the other side of the coin.  But I will concede the fact that Glen Healy is the WORST color guy in the history of the profession.

His commentary after Russia was eliminated was so infuriating that I wish his mic had somehow been pumped through the arena speaker system. Ripping him limb from limb would have given the Russian fans something to focus other than the loss.

#1259 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,182 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 09:43 PM

His commentary after Russia was eliminated was so infuriating that I wish his mic had somehow been pumped through the arena speaker system. Ripping him limb from limb would have given the Russian fans something to focus other than the loss.

What did he say?  As if anyone even needed another reason to hate him...

#1260 FlashyG

FlashyG

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,144 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 09:55 PM

What did he say?  As if anyone even needed another reason to hate him...

General ramblings about how bad Russia coach was for rolling all 4 of his lines instead of just playing NHL players. Some stuff about the inferiority of the KHL compared to the NHL.

Some jokes about how the Russians could get some NHL game tape to see what Hockey played at an NHL pace looks like. etc.