Photo
* * * * - 7 votes

Official 2014 Olympic Hockey Thread (Admin warning #316)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1600 replies to this topic

#1281 evilmrt

evilmrt

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,596 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 01:22 PM

WTF HOCKEY IS ACTUALLY ON NORMAL NBC! HOLY SHNIKES

#1282 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• Gold Booster
  • 1,918 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 01:44 PM

Ok fellas, I called the Canadian fans out yesterday for not being online during their close game and heavily implied that they were "hiding" from criticism until the game turned in their favor.  To protect myself from similar criticism I have a few things to announce...

1)  I took a half a day off from work tomorrow to watch this game.  Because I have no responsibility I will be watching it in a bar and getting drunk (so I won't be on LGW).

2)  However, because I took a lead part in hyping this matchup and participated heavily in the trash talk it's only fair that I be here to take my lumps if USA loses.

3)  So...in the pursuit of fairness, I will be on LGW the second I get home to be taunted endlessly by you Canadian Scallywags in the event of an unlikely American loss.

4)  God help you if/when we win.

Honestly, after the game I came on and saw that criticism and laughed.  You've obviously never been in Canada while the Olympics are on....

If you're not working during elimination games(watching on a tv there), then you're at a bar or friends place surrounded by other fans having the time of your life.

No offence to LGW but this is the last place I'm going to be during any of these games.

"The leader must never close the gap between himself and the group. If he does, he is no longer what he must be. He must walk a tightrope between the consent he must win and the control he must exert."
Vince Lombardi

When asked who won, Babcock said, “Well it doesn’t really matter as long as you don’t lose. It’s like going bear hunting, you take a slow guy with you in case the bear is hungry.”

#1283 BottleOfSmoke

BottleOfSmoke

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,377 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 03:08 PM

If you're not working during elimination games(watching on a tv there), then you're at a bar or friends place surrounded by other fans having the time of your life.

No offence to LGW but this is the last place I'm going to be during any of these games.

Some of us don't have friends who like hockey :(

Some of us are stuck in the desert :(

I'll take LGW any day!

Edited by BottleOfSmoke, 20 February 2014 - 03:08 PM.

LGWsig_zpsa75c5d1e.jpg

Just look at how he hangs his sunglasses from his banana hammock in that last pic.  This guyf****** rules. --kipwinger

#1284 evilmrt

evilmrt

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,596 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 03:19 PM

BEST NEWS ALL DAY

#1285 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,122 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 03:37 PM

I'll take LGW any day!

Same story here.  It's fairly sad when the most hockey-oriented place I can be is at work.

I actually had to have Hooters put the game on yesterday and she put it on CAN/LAT *gasp* then I asked her to change it and she asked if it was really that important, then I threatened to leave and she changed it.  Although, once it was on, everyone was watching it.

Kronwalled.net - Keep Yer Head up Kid

#1286 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• Gold Booster
  • 1,918 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 03:40 PM

I'll take LGW any day!

Totally understand.  I was in California last Olympics.  Completely ruined it for me. lol

BEST NEWS ALL DAY

I think your caps lock key is broken...

"The leader must never close the gap between himself and the group. If he does, he is no longer what he must be. He must walk a tightrope between the consent he must win and the control he must exert."
Vince Lombardi

When asked who won, Babcock said, “Well it doesn’t really matter as long as you don’t lose. It’s like going bear hunting, you take a slow guy with you in case the bear is hungry.”

#1287 wingsfan4795

wingsfan4795

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,660 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 03:54 PM

I've watched every game alone in my dorm room because nobody else cares enough to wake up at 7:30 to watch a sport they know nothing about.. people on my floor were watching figure skating yesterday during the noon game.
On the news here in Columbus, the anchor said he didn't know who to cheer for in the USA-Russia game because bobrovski was in net for Russia.
I'm surrounded by idiots
LGW is my friend

Good rule of thumb is always take an octopus everywhere. Better to have one and not need it than find yourself thinking, "Damn, I wish I had that octopus".

-Buppy

#1288 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,133 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 04:09 PM

I wonder if Babs defensive minded strategies are what stifle the teams scoring, theres really no excuse for a lack of goal scoring with Canadas roster. It just doesnt make sense.

All this makes me question Babs as the Wings coach. Not necessarily in a bad way per say, it just seems an odd coincidence that babs coached teams cant score. Puzzling indeed.

My guess is it's more or less what it looks like: he wants good team defense (to a man) more than anything else. Defense, defense, defense, defense, defense, defense, defense, defense, defense. Defense. (Defense.) And he's basically said as much (see, for example, his comments about Trust being all-important to him). Players who play for him know: "Oh man, I could totally pinch here and it's almost certainly a goal. But, no. Coach would kill me."

I've watched every game alone in my dorm room because nobody else cares enough to wake up at 7:30 to watch a sport they know nothing about.. people on my floor were watching figure skating yesterday during the noon game.
On the news here in Columbus, the anchor said he didn't know who to cheer for in the USA-Russia game because bobrovski was in net for Russia.
I'm surrounded by idiots
LGW is my friend

I think this is one of my favorite LGW posts ever.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#1289 RedWang

RedWang

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 04:14 PM

My guess is it's more or less what it looks like: he wants good team defense (to a man) more than anything else. Defense, defense, defense, defense, defense, defense, defense, defense, defense. Defense. (Defense.) And he's basically said as much (see, for example, his comments about Trust being all-important to him). Players who play for him know: "Oh man, I could totally pinch here and it's almost certainly a goal. But, no. Coach would kill me."

I think this is one of my favorite LGW posts ever.

Thanks! I agree. Ive played my whole life, not on any uber competitive level, just for fun. But ive had a couple coaches that are like that, they beat something into your head so hard you find yourself not playing your game and your performamce suffers. This is what i believe plagues guys like Brendan Smith for example, the most.

#1290 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,122 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 04:45 PM

Thanks! I agree. Ive played my whole life, not on any uber competitive level, just for fun. But ive had a couple coaches that are like that, they beat something into your head so hard you find yourself not playing your game and your performamce suffers. This is what i believe plagues guys like Brendan Smith for example, the most.

The post you quoted, and partially yours, reminded me of that scene in 24/7 when Babs was skating with Brendan and said something to the tune of: "When Smitty has the puck I'm like alright, he's gonna make a good pass, and them I'm like, oh dang, Smitty is going to pinch.  You know what I mean?"

#1291 RedWang

RedWang

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 05:07 PM

The post you quoted, and partially yours, reminded me of that scene in 24/7 when Babs was skating with Brendan and said something to the tune of: "When Smitty has the puck I'm like alright, he's gonna make a good pass, and them I'm like, oh dang, Smitty is going to pinch.  You know what I mean?"

Haha see! Exactly!

#1292 darkmanx

darkmanx

Toronto's Finest

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,778 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 09:16 PM

jagr.gif

#1293 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,122 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 09:39 PM

^ What in the...

#1294 BottleOfSmoke

BottleOfSmoke

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,377 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 09:55 PM

Gross/

^ where do I apply for that job on the Wings' bench?

/gross

LGWsig_zpsa75c5d1e.jpg

Just look at how he hangs his sunglasses from his banana hammock in that last pic.  This guyf****** rules. --kipwinger

#1295 canadian wings fan

canadian wings fan

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 916 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 11:41 PM

wtf man haha

#1296 RyaN_84

RyaN_84

Rookie

• Pip
  • 168 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 01:08 AM

should be some good games tomorrow.
i have managed to stay clear of LGW for the last 3 weeks.
Mostly because of vacation but also because 
from the looks of things its been pretty intense.

Wings fans unite to show support of their countries.
That is all well and good, but in all seriousness i can't
wait until olympic hockey is over and we can get back
to the NHL hockey. :)

#1297 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,085 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 01:45 AM

should be some good games tomorrow.
i have managed to stay clear of LGW for the last 3 weeks.
Mostly because of vacation but also because 
from the looks of things its been pretty intense.

Wings fans unite to show support of their countries.
That is all well and good, but in all seriousness i can't
wait until olympic hockey is over and we can get back
to the NHL hockey. :)

This thread was great.....up until the point that the USA and Canada ended up in the same half of the bracket.  Then this thread went downhill fast :(

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#1298 BottleOfSmoke

BottleOfSmoke

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,377 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 07:10 AM

Please Sweden. Please.

LGWsig_zpsa75c5d1e.jpg

#1299 sleepwalker

sleepwalker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 07:30 AM

"This is exactly what I hate about the big ice, it allows the better team to dictate play."

"Lundqvist has only been dominant because players aren't allowed in the crease in international play."

God...Pierre is such a wienie sometimes.  (most times)

Bulls*** call.

CLEAR embellishment.  Refs suck, as expected.

#1300 BottleOfSmoke

BottleOfSmoke

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,377 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 07:30 AM

Oh look Selanne being a poopy diaper baby who saw that one coming

Captain Kronner says take your medicine.

LGWsig_zpsa75c5d1e.jpg