Photo
* * * * - 7 votes

Official 2014 Olympic Hockey Thread (Admin warning #316)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1600 replies to this topic

#1421 wings87

wings87

Wake Up!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,016 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 12:52 PM

US team peaked too early. Game against Russia was their gold medal game. Still surprised they went scoreless the last two games.

Worst thing that could have happened to them was winning the Russia game. Made them complacent. 

"He usually shows up when the game is over and tries to be the hero. Puts his cape on and goes and flies out there." ~ Franzen 

#1422 Jusek

Jusek

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,738 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 01:03 PM

What a way to end international career. Teemu, thanks for the memories... :bye2:

"I consider the Detroit Red Wings one of the greatest franchises in any sport. For a player to come in and play, it's so special to wear the jersey."
-Steve Yzerman

#1423 FlashyG

FlashyG

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,159 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 01:15 PM

I think the US were a lot better than they showed today, and I think Finland was underestimated from the beginning of the tournament.

They play excellent team defence and their offence is underrated as well, they transition to it quickly and when they get a lead they can expand it just as well as they can protect it.

In a 1 game elimination style tournament there is a group of 5 teams that should always be considered absolute gold medal contenders, and another 2 that aren't too far behind.

Should be an interesting game tomorrow, it won't have the emotional rivalry attached to it like both teams faced in their semi-final games, but with a gold medal on the line I don't think there will be any lack of motivation for either team. It also has 2 goalies that have had great tournaments facing off vs one another.

As a Canadian Wings fan I won't be upset regardless of the outcome 

#1424 sleepwalker

sleepwalker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 01:28 PM

I missed the game (slept in) and had to google the score.

Wow. 

Shutout 5-0?  Pretty pathetic.

#1425 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,122 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 01:43 PM

Yeah, it was pathetic.

Kronwalled.net - Keep Yer Head up Kid

#1426 FireCaptain

FireCaptain

This space for rent.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,927 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 01:50 PM

The US Mens Hockey team lost.. I feel sorry for the hotel rooms in Sochi tonight, they're gonna get their asses kicked.

Most nights, my posts are brought to you by some sort of IPA and a heaping dose of sarcasm.
Success has a thousand fathers, failure is an orphan.
We not score, is hard to win. - Pavel Datsyuk #13

#1427 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,942 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 02:15 PM

I think the US were a lot better than they showed today, and I think Finland was underestimated from the beginning of the tournament.

They play excellent team defence and their offence is underrated as well, they transition to it quickly and when they get a lead they can expand it just as well as they can protect it.

In a 1 game elimination style tournament there is a group of 5 teams that should always be considered absolute gold medal contenders, and another 2 that aren't too far behind.

Should be an interesting game tomorrow, it won't have the emotional rivalry attached to it like both teams faced in their semi-final games, but with a gold medal on the line I don't think there will be any lack of motivation for either team. It also has 2 goalies that have had great tournaments facing off vs one another.

As a Canadian Wings fan I won't be upset regardless of the outcome 

this was Canada and USA's last chance at gold if you ask me. they wont win with OHL and AHL teams

#1428 T.Low

T.Low

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,043 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 02:27 PM

Apologies to kip winger: after watching the pace of Canada US I am now more likely to buy the stated reasoning for leaving slowJumbo Joe in sunny California.

Not 100% convinced it's the right choice, but at least can see that is the philosophy.

I'm on the West Coast, so now it's finally my time to suffer game timing with 4am puck drop for the Gold Medal game. Set the coffee machine and buy donuts tonight.

#1429 wings87

wings87

Wake Up!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,016 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 02:30 PM

this was Canada and USA's last chance at gold if you ask me. they wont win with OHL and AHL teams

I think the pressure will be too great from other countries and the NHL will be forced to allow players to participate in the Olympics. The NHL already has a bad relationship with the KHL can you imagine if Finland and Sweden also get pissed at the NHL. I might be thinking too extreme but I believe the worldwide draft will be affected as retaliation if the NHL denies other countries the ability to have their best players play for them in the Olympics. Let's not forget that the Olympics mean more to the European countries then they do to North America.

Edited by wings87, 22 February 2014 - 02:31 PM.

"He usually shows up when the game is over and tries to be the hero. Puts his cape on and goes and flies out there." ~ Franzen 

#1430 FlashyG

FlashyG

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,159 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 02:32 PM

Personally I don't think the NHL stops participating in the games.

Ironically for fans its probably their greatest enemy (Bettman) who will be the person who convinces the dissenting owners that not only is it a good thing for their relationship with the players association its good for the sport.

It would also further damage their chances of luring Europe's best players to the NHL, and could cause some to return home as you can bet the KHL and the rest of the European pro leagues will continue to send their players.

#1431 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,154 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 02:48 PM

Ryan should call up Burke and ask him to spell intensity for him.  Yandle too.  They could make it a conference call. 

#1432 wings87

wings87

Wake Up!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,016 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 02:58 PM

Ryan should call up Burke and ask him to spell intensity for him.  Yandle too.  They could make it a conference call.

I think you spell it F-U-C... No wait I think that's something else.

#1433 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,309 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 03:01 PM

Add Okposo to the mix and they could play a four men flight in Golf *g*

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

<< Win it for Mr. Hockey !

#1434 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,294 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 03:13 PM

The US Mens Hockey team lost.. I feel sorry for the hotel rooms in Sochi tonight, they're gonna get their asses kicked.

Pretty sure half the rooms have no furniture LOL

"In Detroit, every day is a good day to win"

#1435 wings87

wings87

Wake Up!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,016 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 03:25 PM

Pretty sure half the rooms have no furniture LOL

I'm sure they have furniture, but if they take a swing at it I'm sure they will miss it, fall, and embarrass themselves even more.

#1436 Datsyukian-Deke

Datsyukian-Deke

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 783 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 03:41 PM

Keep Calm: Team Red Wings for the gold tomorrow against Canada!

#1437 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,942 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 03:53 PM

Keep Calm: Team Red Wings for the gold tomorrow against Canada!

Team Red Wings vs. Team Babcock/Holland

#1438 roboturner

roboturner

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 04:05 PM

Maybe this is "unpatriotic" of me being American, but I was kinda pulling for Sweden to win the gold since all the Wings were named (in addition to how much I like how the Swedes run their country, I would definitely move there if I ever become willing to learn another language!).

Don't get me wrong, I was still hoping for the US to pull it off, but I'm not really a "big" fan of any of the US players. I guess I'm just more emotionally attached to the Swedish Wings players than I am to invisible arbitrary lines drawn on the globe.

This might be getting a little heated. Just know I don't hate any of you guys.

That doesn't mean that I respect ideas & opinions. Some ideas & opinions are ridiculous.

In fact, if you confront my ideas & opinions, that will lead to a discussion. (We're on a discussion board after all. Don't forget that!)

:bye1: :bye1: :bye1: :bye1: :bye1: :bye1: :bye1: :bye1:

#1439 wings87

wings87

Wake Up!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,016 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 04:12 PM

Maybe this is "unpatriotic" of me being American, but I was kinda pulling for Sweden to win the gold since all the Wings were named (in addition to how much I like how the Swedes run their country, I would definitely move there if I ever become willing to learn another language!).

Don't get me wrong, I was still hoping for the US to pull it off, but I'm not really a "big" fan of any of the US players. I guess I'm just more emotionally attached to the Swedish Wings players than I am to invisible arbitrary lines drawn on the globe.

I get your point, and don't mean to get on you, but I don't think you can the lines arbitrary and invincible.

#1440 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,960 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 04:23 PM

I actually had my eye on the Russian women's curling team, just like in "Some Like It Hot"--- The older generation knows what I'm talking about. 

One of my favorite films.  But I don't get the reference.  

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.