Photo
* * * * - 7 votes

Official 2014 Olympic Hockey Thread (Admin warning #316)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1600 replies to this topic

#1441 wings87

wings87

Wake Up!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,857 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 04:46 PM

One of my favorite films.  But I don't get the reference.

If you remember the guys where running away and had to dress up as women to join the band, and me being a guy; I would have to dress up as a women to join the women's curling team.

"He usually shows up when the game is over and tries to be the hero. Puts his cape on and goes and flies out there." ~ Franzen 

#1442 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,199 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 05:14 PM

Maybe this is "unpatriotic" of me being American, but I was kinda pulling for Sweden to win the gold since all the Wings were named (in addition to how much I like how the Swedes run their country, I would definitely move there if I ever become willing to learn another language!).

Don't get me wrong, I was still hoping for the US to pull it off, but I'm not really a "big" fan of any of the US players. I guess I'm just more emotionally attached to the Swedish Wings players than I am to invisible arbitrary lines drawn on the globe.

You're not the only one that's been pulling for Sweden the whole time.  :ninja: Only cheering for Canada cause I'm Canadian.  There's a line worth of players that I don't like or agree with being there over other guys from Canada.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#1443 evilmrt

evilmrt

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,564 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 06:17 PM

Ryan should call up Burke and ask him to spell intensity for him.  Yandle too.  They could make it a conference call. 

Include Johnson, Byfuglien, and Okposo.

Btw, can you see the same unspirited play if Torts was USA coach instead of Bylsma?

#1444 darkmanx

darkmanx

Toronto's Finest

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 06:25 PM

12697942305_cb88e3e53e_o.gif

Smelling salts!

#1445 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,199 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 06:37 PM

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=444453

Not sure if it was posted yet, but Forsberg dives in with his opinion of tomorrow's refs.  All I can say is, the 2 teams I wanted fighting for gold are there.  I believe it's a conflict of interest to have any refs from the representing countries, or their bitter rivals officiating the game.  They should be all from different countries.  I don't want there to be any question that the gold medal game was called fair and 100% down the middle.

Side note:  gold medal game has 4 guys born in Winnipeg playing!!!  Canada: Toews, Sharp, Keith.  Sweden: Alex Steen.  Take that world  ;)

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#1446 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,088 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 07:19 PM

I don't want there to be any question that the gold medal game was called fair and 100% down the middle.

Refs got to job the women's gold medal game. It's only fair that they get the same opportunity on the men's side.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#1447 marcaractac

marcaractac

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,327 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 07:24 PM

Not sure if it was posted yet, but Forsberg dives in with his opinion of tomorrow's refs.  All I can say is, the 2 teams I wanted fighting for gold are there.  I believe it's a conflict of interest to have any refs from the representing countries, or their bitter rivals officiating the game.  They should be all from different countries.  I don't want there to be any question that the gold medal game was called fair and 100% down the middle.

Side note:  gold medal game has 4 guys born in Winnipeg playing!!!  Canada: Toews, Sharp, Keith.  Sweden: Alex Steen.  Take that world  ;)

To be fair, a portion of fans on the losing side are gonna blame the refs whether they are Canadian or not. If players on Team Sweden are okay with it, then it should be a non issue with everyone really. 

#1448 joesuffP

joesuffP

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,958 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 07:32 PM

best refs are canadian. you'd rather have bad refs ref the game so the game is reffed better

#1449 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,199 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 07:36 PM

I'm just tired of hearing about conspiracy theories and entitled Canadians.

#1450 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,612 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 07:57 PM

Smelling salts!

527352622-930x600.jpghoickey_2830777k.jpg

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#1451 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,612 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 08:16 PM

"What a f___ing joke!" the seven-time All-Star said to Swedish reporters, calling the selection of officials Kelly Sutherland, Brad Meier, Greg Devorski and Derek Amell "comedy at its highest level."

I was afraid it was his announcement that he was coming out of retirement. Now that would be "comedy at it's highest level".

Better motivation would come from a letter written by Sweden's Women's Olympic hockey team.

#1452 BottleOfSmoke

BottleOfSmoke

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,019 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 08:23 PM

Smelling salts!

LGWsig_zpsa75c5d1e.jpg

#1453 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,612 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 08:25 PM

corrigan.jpg.size.xxlarge.letterbox.jpg

#1454 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,260 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 08:31 PM

Refs got to job the women's gold medal game. It's only fair that they get the same opportunity on the men's side.

So if Canada wins it was cause the refs called it and if Sweden wins it was in spite of the refs and against all odds... Got it lol

#1455 T.Low

T.Low

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,940 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 08:36 PM

Include Johnson, Byfuglien, and Okposo.
Btw, can you see the same unspirited play if Torts was USA coach instead of Bylsma?

Yes I can. I watch the Canucks play and they are pulling it off quite well, also.

#1456 DickieDunn

DickieDunn

http://redwingsandotherthings.wordpress.com/

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,467 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 08:48 PM

Yes.  Because the refs made the US stop playing hockey and miss an empty net goal so they could blow a 2-0 lead with under 3:30 to go.  

Oh this young man has had a very trying rookie season, with the litigation, the notoriety, his subsequent deportation to Canada and that country's refusal to accept him, well, I guess that's more than most 21-year-olds can handle... Ogie Ogilthorpe!

#1457 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,743 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 09:03 PM

If you remember the guys where running away and had to dress up as women to join the band, and me being a guy; I would have to dress up as a women to join the women's curling team.

Of course that's what I figured, but I wasn't sure if the film had an actual curling reference or not.  I couldn't remember any.    

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#1458 chances14

chances14

The Magician

• PipPipPip
  • 668 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 09:04 PM

very disappointed with how the US just gave up today. embarrassing effort by the entire team

#1459 BottleOfSmoke

BottleOfSmoke

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,019 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 09:19 PM

So if Canada wins it was cause the refs called it and if Sweden wins it was in spite of the refs and against all odds... Got it lol

No, if Canada wins it's a ref job, if Sweden wins it's Red Wing Power fueled by Captain Kronner. :lol:

That being said, I'll be making myself scarce until after everyone's a Red Wing (and Red Wing fan) again. My heart can't take it.

Good luck everybody, and HEJA SVERIGE!

LGWsig_zpsa75c5d1e.jpg

#1460 sibiriak

sibiriak

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,645 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 09:50 PM

corrigan.jpg.size.xxlarge.letterbox.jpg

Is that USA Hockey president, talking about team USA?

Pretty sure half the rooms have no furniture LOL

You mean team usa already trashed their rooms after being shut out by Team Canada?