Photo
* * * * - 7 votes

Official 2014 Olympic Hockey Thread (Admin warning #316)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1600 replies to this topic

#1561 darkmanx

darkmanx

Toronto's Finest

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,692 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 06:25 PM

I'm glad this thread was unlocked so I'd have a chance to say that this is one of the dumbest things I have heard from a LGWer in a while, and that's saying something.

The two coaches have very similar styles.

Babcock agrees.

BhLHPnzIcAArGaW.jpg

Edit:

If you want a real laugh, look at Babcock taking a selfie.

http://kuklaskorner....s-his-hair-down

Edited by darkmanx, 23 February 2014 - 06:27 PM.

#1562 vladdy16

vladdy16

The rest are neophytes.

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 6,222 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 06:48 PM

I'm all for unlocking the thread and discussing the game et al, but if the last posts are what we have to look forward to, I have no problem locking it again.

Can't wait to read the "Phoenix: I still think it's a hockey market" chapter of Gary Bettman's autobiography. I'm guessing it's going to be chapter 11.

- mjlegend 3/9/2011

#1563 Playmaker

Playmaker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,205 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 07:26 PM

I didn't say he didn't get credit or that he didn't do a fine job.  But that stifling, smothering, shut down type of defense is more the style of a Hitchcock coached team.  Babcock emphasizes defense but not in the same way that Hitchcock does. 

#1564 joesuffP

joesuffP

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,173 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 07:40 PM

Babcock would coach a smothering Defense if we had good defensemen. Back checking hard from the forwards we get to see usually

#1565 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,615 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 07:44 PM

620-team-canada-thumb-620xauto-319920.jp

People laughed then; whose laughing now?

From Senators Extra:

Ottawa Senators Swedish defenceman Erik Karlsson was clearly gutted after losing the gold medal final of the men’s hockey tournament to Canada.

According to Olympic News Service, this is what he had to say when asked what his silver medal meant to him: “You will see when I put it out on eBay.”

Swedish humour...or not?

Y/N: If Backstrom had played, Sweden would have relinquished their medal and everyone would take one step forward.

Edited by cusimano_brothers, 23 February 2014 - 07:47 PM.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#1566 darkmanx

darkmanx

Toronto's Finest

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,692 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 07:54 PM

Find the real Olli.

eivituta.jpg

#1567 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,698 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 07:56 PM

The Silver means as much to the Swedes as winning the Bronze meant to the USA... after the two quick goals 11 seconds apart, the USA just mailed in the rest of the game...really, who cares about a Bronze? We went there to win the Gold and anything else was meaningless... I'd rather have a pin that says "I Participated at Sochi" than take home a Bronze medal in Hockey...

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Nestrasil, yes...Cleary....No!

Dump Q and K Now!

#1568 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,615 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 08:08 PM

Yes Virginia, there really was a Lucky Loonie at Sochi 2014.

#1569 FlashyG

FlashyG

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,153 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 08:26 PM

Jan Hudec a Canadian skier buried a lucky loonie at the finish line of the Super G course as well.

He became the first Canadian to win an Alpine Medal in 20 years.

#1570 Jersey Wing

Jersey Wing

Watching Eastern Conference hockey before it was cool...

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 08:50 PM

What is it with Canadians and loose change at the Olympics? Do their coin purses have holes?

12734983993_fc019154e7_o.jpg

14767451334_8f0d14d8cb_o.jpg

#1571 Hockeymom1960

Hockeymom1960

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,330 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 09:08 PM

Find the real Olli.

eivituta.jpg

Yikes, I'm going to have nightmares now after viewing this. :scared:  :lol:

#1572 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 09:33 PM

Find the real Olli.

eivituta.jpg

I almost just laughed myself off the couch.  Holy s*** dude....epic Jokinen.

Oh, and I believe the real Olli is right smack dab in the middle sporting the Ryan Getzlaf hair cut.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#1573 evilmrt

evilmrt

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 10:52 PM

The Silver means as much to the Swedes as winning the Bronze meant to the USA... after the two quick goals 11 seconds apart, the USA just mailed in the rest of the game...really, who cares about a Bronze? We went there to win the Gold and anything else was meaningless... I'd rather have a pin that says "I Participated at Sochi" than take home a Bronze medal in Hockey...

I think you're overstating things in terms of the Gold. First of all, the Bronze is won, not gained with a loss like the Silver. Team USA went home empty handed, and established new records of shame (first back to back shutouts for an American team since the 1920s, worst shutout in the medal round in Olympic history, etc). This crap goes in the record books, a bronze would have been something... Now this 2014 squad will look awful in the history books.

Edited by evilmrt, 23 February 2014 - 11:02 PM.

#1574 SDavis35

SDavis35

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 935 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 11:37 PM

Sweden was missing too many high-end players to hang with Canada. Needed at least Backstrom, but really when we lost Zetterberg I felt we lost the chance to win Gold.

Good tournament by Canada, that defense is really impressive.

I agree, I think with Zetterberg, Sweden could have won it. I'm happy Canada won but my "cheering" was like a wings regular season win in March 2008. It's time to get back to Red Wings hockey, something I can cheer about with lots of energy! 

Edit: I also wanted to mention that I think Sweden is the "Canada" of Europe, such a great hockey nation!

Edited by SDavis35, 23 February 2014 - 11:38 PM.

#1575 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,077 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 01:54 AM

I didn't say he didn't get credit or that he didn't do a fine job.  But that stifling, smothering, shut down type of defense is more the style of a Hitchcock coached team.  Babcock emphasizes defense but not in the same way that Hitchcock does. 

Did you not watch us in 2008?  That was how we played all season long, smothering teams all over the ice.  Using a skilled, mobile group of defencemen to keep the puck when we had it, and take away the oppositions time and space when we didn't.  Instead of Lidstrom, Rafalski, Stuart and Kronwall he had Weber, Doughty, Pieterangelo, Bouwmeister and Keith.

He got superstars like Crosby to buy into a defence first system and work their tails off all over the ice.  It seemed like Canada had 4 forwards on the ice at all times, so hard were they working.  Compare how the all-stars on Canada played to how guys like Ovechkin played for Russia.

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#1576 dat's sick

dat's sick

Fear can hold you prisoner, hope can set you free

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,347 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 02:46 AM

I'll never understand the attitude of "Gold is all that matters". I'd be proud as hell over an Olympic Bronze or Silver medal. Erik Karlsson was probably upset after the loss. He's young, he hasn't been in many big games like that. I would think as he gets older he'll realize how few his chances of even getting an Olympic medal are, and that looking back on bronze or silver beats looking back on nothing. 

#1577 Hockeymom1960

Hockeymom1960

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,330 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 07:08 AM

I think you're overstating things in terms of the Gold. First of all, the Bronze is won, not gained with a loss like the Silver. Team USA went home empty handed, and established new records of shame (first back to back shutouts for an American team since the 1920s, worst shutout in the medal round in Olympic history, etc). This crap goes in the record books, a bronze would have been something... Now this 2014 squad will look awful in the history books.

Really?  I respectfully disagree. 

#1578 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,490 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 07:56 AM

I agree, I think with Zetterberg, Sweden could have won it. I'm happy Canada won but my "cheering" was like a wings regular season win in March 2008. It's time to get back to Red Wings hockey, something I can cheer about with lots of energy! 

Edit: I also wanted to mention that I think Sweden is the "Canada" of Europe, such a great hockey nation!

Canada dominated the game.  There seemed to be extremely long stretches when Sweden couldn't even get the puck to the red line.  I doubt Zetterberg would have swung that into a win.

#1579 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,615 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 07:57 AM

31824037681864afb1ef7f3fcc211b5f_crop_no

"Only in Canada" They're even watching #hockey at church in #Halifax. #GoCanadaGo pic.twitter.com/SNOhTOV4Zg

Golden...just like the latest medal around his neck.

But Babcock wasn't concerned. He saw a team that was dominant and getting chances, even if the puck wasn't going in the net.

"The interesting thing to me, when I look at this whole scenario, does anybody know who won the Scoring race?" Babcock asked. "Does
anybody care? Does anybody know who won the gold medal?"

"See you  guys." 

#1580 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,434 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 09:16 AM

31824037681864afb1ef7f3fcc211b5f_crop_no

IMG_0427_2_normal.JPGJoe Raso @coachrasoFollow

"Only in Canada" They're even watching #hockey at church in #Halifax. #GoCanadaGo pic.twitter.com/SNOhTOV4Zg

9:06 AM - 23 Feb 2014

Golden...just like the latest medal around his neck.

Babs is the greatest