Photo
* * * * - 7 votes

Official 2014 Olympic Hockey Thread (Admin warning #316)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1600 replies to this topic

#1581 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,615 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 12:58 PM

It's believed St.Louis did ask #Lightning 4 trade when left off Canada. I'm told some #NHL clubs not sure if he still feels the same way now

We'll see what happens; I've read that gold is a wonderful pain reliever.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#1582 joesuffP

joesuffP

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,483 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 01:53 PM

What an idiot. He was terrible all tournament long too. Officially don't like MSL
It wasn't just YZERMAN that didn't want him. The whole coaching/scouting didn't want him either. What a baby. If I was Stevie if ship him to Edmonton

#1583 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,519 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 02:06 PM

What an idiot. He was terrible all tournament long too. Officially don't like MSL
It wasn't just YZERMAN that didn't want him. The whole coaching/scouting didn't want him either. What a baby. If I was Stevie if ship him to Edmonton

I have a hard time believing this.  If true, he's a complete ****** basically.  I don't know the guy, so that's not the reason I have a hard time believing it.  If he truly asked for a trade after not being named to the team, is he the guy (with that type of character), that you would pick to be an injury replacement?

There is some sense to it as well though....Yzerman just stepped down as Executive Director, could this be one the reasons?  There's probably enough stress that goes along with the role anyway.....time to step away and go out on top, let another guy come in and deal with the stress (although, if NHLers aren't going next time....no stress to deal with).

On MSL being terrible all tournament, he barely played in any of the games, he was scratched for a few, played maybe a couple shifts in the semi-final and in the gold medal game, he played more than he played in any other game and was decent.

#1584 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• Gold Booster
  • 1,918 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 02:06 PM

Just for clarification, this whole "He asked for a trade" is still pure rumour that just happened to leak today....

Seems purely fabricated to me to get people talking about the trade deadline and NHL.

"The leader must never close the gap between himself and the group. If he does, he is no longer what he must be. He must walk a tightrope between the consent he must win and the control he must exert."
Vince Lombardi

When asked who won, Babcock said, “Well it doesn’t really matter as long as you don’t lose. It’s like going bear hunting, you take a slow guy with you in case the bear is hungry.”

#1585 joesuffP

joesuffP

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,483 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 02:25 PM

I have a hard time believing this.  If true, he's a complete ****** basically.  I don't know the guy, so that's not the reason I have a hard time believing it.  If he truly asked for a trade after not being named to the team, is he the guy (with that type of character), that you would pick to be an injury replacement?

There is some sense to it as well though....Yzerman just stepped down as Executive Director, could this be one the reasons?  There's probably enough stress that goes along with the role anyway.....time to step away and go out on top, let another guy come in and deal with the stress (although, if NHLers aren't going next time....no stress to deal with).

On MSL being terrible all tournament, he barely played in any of the games, he was scratched for a few, played maybe a couple shifts in the semi-final and in the gold medal game, he played more than he played in any other game and was decent.

Yes. Seems a bit far fetched.

Yzerman isn't picking the team next Olympics then?

#1586 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,519 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 02:41 PM

Yes. Seems a bit far fetched.

Yzerman isn't picking the team next Olympics then?

http://www.tsn.ca/ol...tory/?id=444517

#1587 Smite

Smite

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 02:45 PM

I have a hard time believing anything Kypreos believes or is told. 

I think he took one to many punches to the head.

"When the cast comes off, I ask my doctor, 'Have I recovered so I can play the violin?' The doctor says, 'But of course you can play the violin.' I say, 'Wow, this is great. Before this injury, I could never play violin at all. I must break the other hand so I can play guitar.'" –Pavel Datsuk on breaking his hand

#1588 kipwinger

kipwinger

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,343 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 03:05 PM

Even if he did ask for a trade it doesn't mean that MSL is the *sshole here.  The guy's been a freak of nature the last couple years and by any account should have made the team.  If he wanted to play, and the coaches wanted him, and Yzerman didn't pick him, I'd say that's reason enough to be pissed.  Especially since the only thing the guy hasn't done in his career is win a gold medal. 

I'm not saying that's what happened, but I don't know.  And neither does anyone else.  What I do know is that Martin St. Louis has been a class act his entire career.  I doubt that changed all of a sudden.  He (clearly) played his way onto Team Canada, I'd be pissed too if I weren't selected. 

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#1589 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,122 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 03:09 PM

I'm fairly certain he didn't play a shift in the semi-final.  They were talking about it during the gold medal game.

All I gotta say is: If you ain't first, you're last.

Kronwalled.net - Keep Yer Head up Kid

#1590 stillwater

stillwater

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 03:25 PM

All I gotta say is: If you ain't first, you're last

I recognize the quote, but don't understand the relevance to St.Louis.

Count me among the bunch that doesn't believe he wants to be traded simply because he hates Steve Yzerman for not choosing him, keeping in mind that Yzerman doesn't choose the team by himself ... there's a process, and many others involved.

Edited by stillwater, 24 February 2014 - 03:26 PM.

#1591 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,122 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 03:58 PM

I recognize the quote, but don't understand the relevance to St.Louis.

Count me among the bunch that doesn't believe he wants to be traded simply because he hates Steve Yzerman for not choosing him, keeping in mind that Yzerman doesn't choose the team by himself ... there's a process, and many others involved.

It doesn't, those were separate thoughts.

#1592 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,519 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 04:37 PM

I'm fairly certain he didn't play a shift in the semi-final.  They were talking about it during the gold medal game.

All I gotta say is: If you ain't first, you're last.

I saw him on the ice at least once in the 3rd period of the semi-final.  I remember thinking to myself that I didn't see him out there at all until that point.

#1593 Smite

Smite

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 04:41 PM

Canada and Sweden demonstrate true sportsmanship

TORONTO – After Team Canada defeated Sweden 3-0 to win gold in men’s hockey at the Winter Olympics Sunday, you’d think there would be some hard feelings and nasty words being flung around. Maybe an “In your face!” or “Take that Sweden!” Especially on social media sites like Twitter.

Turns out both countries have gracious fans who, instead of trash-talking each other, showed true sportsmanship as the hashtag #hardtotrashtalkCanada trended in Sweden, while #hardtotrashtalkSweden trended in Canada.

"When the cast comes off, I ask my doctor, 'Have I recovered so I can play the violin?' The doctor says, 'But of course you can play the violin.' I say, 'Wow, this is great. Before this injury, I could never play violin at all. I must break the other hand so I can play guitar.'" –Pavel Datsuk on breaking his hand

#1594 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,122 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 04:50 PM

Where is the #easytotrashtalkAmerica hashtag?

#1595 darkmanx

darkmanx

Toronto's Finest

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,780 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 10:00 PM

:lol: Babs is the best.

#1596 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,615 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 07:51 AM

#eighteentwelve

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#1597 RyaN_84

RyaN_84

Rookie

• Pip
  • 168 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 11:55 AM

LOL babcock is truly great!!
that post game interview!! LOL

#1598 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,962 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 12:12 PM

Even if he did ask for a trade it doesn't mean that MSL is the *sshole here.  The guy's been a freak of nature the last couple years and by any account should have made the team.  If he wanted to play, and the coaches wanted him, and Yzerman didn't pick him, I'd say that's reason enough to be pissed.  Especially since the only thing the guy hasn't done in his career is win a gold medal. 

I'm not saying that's what happened, but I don't know.  And neither does anyone else.  What I do know is that Martin St. Louis has been a class act his entire career.  I doubt that changed all of a sudden.  He (clearly) played his way onto Team Canada, I'd be pissed too if I weren't selected.

Or you could be like Samuelsson and tell team Sweden to go f**k themselves for not selecting him. 

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#1599 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,818 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 01:48 PM

#eighteentwelve?  #stillridingourcoattails #hidingbehindourdefense

...back on current subject.  MSL wouldn't be the first to ask for a trade after being slighted by a GM.  I don't put it past Yzerman to do something like that either, he is not the little angel everyone thinks.  But, if Yzerman were to trade him, I think the worst place to go would be Winnipeg or the Isle.

Edited by LeftWinger, 25 February 2014 - 01:57 PM.

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Nestrasil, yes...Cleary....No!

Dump Q and K Now!

#1600 darkmanx

darkmanx

Toronto's Finest

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,780 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 03:13 PM

#eighteentwelve?  #stillridingourcoattails #hidingbehindourdefense

...back on current subject.  MSL wouldn't be the first to ask for a trade after being slighted by a GM.  I don't put it past Yzerman to do something like that either, he is not the little angel everyone thinks.  But, if Yzerman were to trade him, I think the worst place to go would be Winnipeg or the Isle.

I'm sure he would be happy in Edmonton.