• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
DatsyukianDekes

NHL players will not participate in 2018 Olympics (Mod Post #99)

Rate this topic

I've said it before and I'll say it again, it's just pure greed by multi billionaires. Boohoo we have to shut down the league for two weeks, how are we going to survive? Well these are the same guys who have no problems locking the players out for years and month and now they are crying over a span of 2 weeks, thats really ridiculous. If these guys are really in for the big money, how about giving Canada more teams and relocate some of the not working franchises ?

The consequences of this will be simple, european players are going to sign 1 year contracts in the NLA, SEL and other top leagues before the olympics and will play their if they want to. Russians will just go to the KHL for a year, the only ones really screwed by this are NA players.

The Olympics are the biggest international stage of hockey, nothing tops it the ratings for Canada - USA, Finland - Sweden, Russia - Canada will always be huge and it's really nice to see the best players of the best countries going at it. Team Canada has an aav of 160million annually we are never going to see such a team in the NHL; so it's nice to watch allstars playing together in the winter olympics.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, it's just pure greed by multi billionaires. Boohoo we have to shut down the league for two weeks, how are we going to survive? Well these are the same guys who have no problems locking the players out for years and month and now they are crying over a span of 2 weeks, thats really ridiculous. If these guys are really in for the big money, how about giving Canada more teams and relocate some of the not working franchises ?

Still arguing a fallacy. Boohoo, the NHL plays 82 games in a non-Olympic year. Boohoo, the NHL plays 82 games in an Olympic year. Now get out your calculator. See any difference between the two numbers?

If anything, the Olympic break keeps NHL fans talking about the sport for an extra two weeks. It extends the season. That's a win for the "pure greed" of the "multi billionaires."

Just because the facts don't fit your envious world view doesn't make them untrue.

Guest Playmaker

I'll tell you what, since money is no object to the fans, and they think the owners shouldn't complain about money, will you be willing to pay say $49.95 PPV to watch Olympic Hockey? Or is it different if the money is coming out of your pocket? How about if the players have to pony up a million of their own salary to go? Will they still feel as strongly about going?

Anyone watching Pavel Datsyuk the past two games can tell he's clearly not recovered from his knee injury. He is only skating to "get conditioning" for Sochi. So if he injuries it further in Sochi and misses extended time after returning, fans are okay with that? The Wings are holding on to the final playoff spot. A healthy Pavel Datsyuk would surely make a difference and could mean a playoff run or not. We likely lost Franzen for an extended time because he, too wanted to be ready for the Olympics after feeling good for only a couple of days. Steven Stamkos had all but declared himself ready to play, and probably would have, but the medical staff said no way.

Either bring back the World Cup of Hockey or move hockey to the Summer Olympics.

The risk is all on the owners. If a player gets injured in the Olympics, the player still gets paid.

I'll tell you what, since money is no object to the fans, and they think the owners shouldn't complain about money, will you be willing to pay say $49.95 PPV to watch Olympic Hockey? Or is it different if the money is coming out of your pocket? How about if the players have to pony up a million of their own salary to go? Will they still feel as strongly about going?

I agree with your injury theory, but how does the Olympics cost the owners money?

Guest Sinden

From being around the game I can add some insight as to why the owners have pulled the players out. The NHL is essentially the owners business. The owner does not want his players to participate for various reasons. 1. You are paying the player to go and play somewhere for two weeks, risking injury upon return. 2. The National Hockey League has a hard time supporting some American franchises. There are about 10 teams that are bringing in a major cash flow for the League. If you are not one of these teams a "two week break" in the middle of the season is not a good thing for your franchise. The break causes some fans to "lose interest", affecting ticket sales and some of the teams fan base. The other 3 major sports in America crush hockey in terms of ratings and popularity. They do not have a mid season "two week break". 3. The NHL and its fan base are people from North America. Most people from North America don't really give a crap about International Hockey. We would much rather watch our own team play and go to our own teams games. However in Europe the players and the fans rank Olympic Hockey ahead of everything. Its their dream to play in the Winter Olympics, it is where their heart is. 4. The whole "terrorist threat" stuff that comes with the Olympic Games is kind of worry some. The NHLPA advised players to not bring their families to Russia. Who knows how this kind of thing will affect the Summer and Winter Olympic Games themselves. Summing it up, the owners are not making any money and it is hurting their franchises.

The positives with the NHL participating in the Games is that it keeps the players happy. Players love to represent their country on the big stage at the Olympic Games. It is a two week emotion filled hockey tournament. Who wouldn't love that? The European players are even more passionate and excited about playing in the Games. It's their icing on the cake. With that being said, the fact that the NHL does participate makes it a league that the European players want to play in. It brings more talent to North America and makes the NHL the ultimate league. Being involved helps out Hockey Canada, USA hockey and the IIHF. Putting the best talent in the game on a worldwide stage helps grow the game of hockey internationally.

For me the two week break is a burden and an unnecessary thing to have to deal with. How the Leagues decision to pull out in 2018 will affect the NHL is for now unknown. All that I care about currently is that after the tourney our Detroit Redwings don't come back lacking heart and emotion.

Guest Playmaker

I agree with your injury theory, but how does the Olympics cost the owners money?

If the Wings lose Datsyuk, Franzen, Kronwall, Nyquist, Howard, or others due to an injury at the Olympics or due to them returning too soon and it costs them a playoff spot, it would cost the owner millions.

Well, that's the argument, I'm just not sure it really works. Who is watching these games? Non fans that all of a sudden start watching the NHL? Or is it already existing NHL fans? There is also a big difference between games in Vancouver and games in Sochi or other parts of the world.

During the 2010 final you had bars packed with non hockey fans watching the game. Having the games held closer to normal US viewing times helped but who cares were the games are held. The Olympics are for the whole world not just the north american tv audience.

Or Datsyuk and and Kronwall collide at center ice and both get hurt and are out for the regular season. Kiss the playoffs goodbye Wings fans.

They could just as easily get hurt and miss the rest of the season while playing for Detroit as they can for there country. The they could get injured excuse is BS. A player could cut there finger making dinner, get in a wreck on the way to work, etc. Theres always a chance a player could get hurt in there normal lifes. Should owners put all players in a bubble when they are not on the ice for said team to prevent injury?

It isn't so much about the potential injuries as it is about missing out on potental profits. Imagine some kind of revenue sharing deal with the IOC/host country, as ridiculous as that is. I think that is what they honestly want.

"Their property" is playing for free on an international stage. Throw money at them, and they will shut up. Or better yet, replace the Olympic Tournament with an NHL controlled World Cup of Hockey, where money will roll right in to the BoG.

Yes to the rest of the world-like Europe, the Olympics are a big deal. Euro's will sit out to play in it. Team Sweden or team Russia still means a ton to them. BTW, what network broadcasts the Olympics and the NHL? You think that will not come into play? No the owners don't lose a thing, still play the same number of games. A easy fix would be to drop the NHL AS game, which no one cares about. That is 4 or 5 days right there.

Still arguing a fallacy. Boohoo, the NHL plays 82 games in a non-Olympic year. Boohoo, the NHL plays 82 games in an Olympic year. Now get out your calculator. See any difference between the two numbers?

If anything, the Olympic break keeps NHL fans talking about the sport for an extra two weeks. It extends the season. That's a win for the "pure greed" of the "multi billionaires."

Just because the facts don't fit your envious world view doesn't make them untrue.

If you can't get whatever your point is across without getting personal, don't bother at all!

The whole no olympics things is just another stupid tactic in order to get even more concessions from the players, they just decertify in the next CBA and put the NHL on the ropes.

If the players still want to go, they are going to do so, period. Although the next olympics will be at a very odd timeframe and the conditions in Russia are way below of what a professional athlete should expect, they are still going just goes to show you, that some of them really want to play at that stage.

Yes international hockey is meaningless unless it's the olympics. That's why the return of some sort of forced tournament every year or every two years won't ever have the same effect as the olympics.

The NBA commissioner will be retiring soon, so maybe he goes back to a sport that's more suited for him and his believes...one can pray right? *g*

Wishful thinking. The same law firm (Proskauer Rose) represents ownership in basically every major sport. NBA, NHL, NFL, MLS, MLB, Pac-12, Big East, Association of Tennis Professionals, and English Premier League.

Not coincidentally it's the firm both Bettman and Stern used to work for. So get ready for more lockouts in all the major sports.

Guest Playmaker

During the 2010 final you had bars packed with non hockey fans watching the. Having the games held closer to normal US viewing times helped but who cares were the games are held. The Olympics are for the whole world not just the north american tv audience.

They could just as easily get hurt and miss the rest of the season while playing for Detroit as they can for there country. The they could get injured excuse is BS. A player could cut there finger making dinner, get in a wreck on the way to work, etc. Theres always a chance a player could get hurt in there normal lifes. Should owners put all players in a bubble when they are not on the ice for said team to prevent injury?

Bars aren't going to be packed with fans if the finals are at 7:30 am. Do people who watch boblsedding or luge in the Olympics go out of their way to watch those sports outside of the Olympics? No. All the women in the office were talking today about the Olympics, and universally, they all said they'd be watching figure skating, snowboarding, skiing, speedskating, etc. They also specifically said that they'd make it a point NOT to watch hockey. You can watch hockey any time.

Players getting hurt doing the job they're getting paid to do can be expected. Freak accidents at home also can happen. But they are just that, accidents. Going to play the game for someone else, while you are still getting paid to play for someone is where the difference lies. Will the owners be allowed to void a players contract or not pay rehab if a player gets hurt in the Olympics?

Wishful thinking. The same law firm (Proskauer Rose) represents ownership in basically every major sport. NBA, NHL, NFL, MLS, MLB, Pac-12, Big East, Association of Tennis Professionals, and English Premier League.

Not coincidentally it's the firm both Bettman and Stern used to work for. So get ready for more lockouts in all the major sports.

Stern retired Feb. 1. I believe that most of the sports currently have long term CBA agreements.

Yzerman on future Olympic participation.

As general manager of the Tampa Bay Lightning, Steve Yzerman has every reason to want NHL players to stay home from the 2018 Games. As an Olympian and now executive director of Team Canada, he wants players to participate indefinitely and enjoy the experiences he savored.

"Absolutely, I think this is fantastic for our league," he said. "You go back for the last year, and even beyond that, how much attention this draws, how much conversation it draws, and not only in Canada but around the world. It promotes our league. It promotes our players. I believe it's good for our game. I believe it's good for the NHL.

"It's once every four years. I'm hopeful that we can continue."

http://www.latimes.com/sports/olympics/la-sp-sochi-hockey-elliott-20140211,0,5399385.column

If the Wings lose Datsyuk, Franzen, Kronwall, Nyquist, Howard, or others due to an injury at the Olympics or due to them returning too soon and it costs them a playoff spot, it would cost the owner millions.

I can't argue with that, but I do believe most people are under the impression the two week break actually costs them money somehow.

Bars aren't going to be packed with fans if the finals are at 7:30 am. Do people who watch boblsedding or luge in the Olympics go out of their way to watch those sports outside of the Olympics? No. All the women in the office were talking today about the Olympics, and universally, they all said they'd be watching figure skating, snowboarding, skiing, speedskating, etc. They also specifically said that they'd make it a point NOT to watch hockey. You can watch hockey any time.

Players getting hurt doing the job they're getting paid to do can be expected. Freak accidents at home also can happen. But they are just that, accidents. Going to play the game for someone else, while you are still getting paid to play for someone is where the difference lies. Will the owners be allowed to void a players contract or not pay rehab if a player gets hurt in the Olympics?

Stern retired Feb. 1. I believe that most of the sports currently have long term CBA agreements.

I'm aware Stern retired. That doesn't change my point that two major pro sports commissioners came from the same law firm that represents all the major sports leagues.

Near as I can tell the MLB CBA expires in 2016. The NBA has an opt out in 2017. NHL can opt out in 2020. NFL expires after the 2020 season.

That may seem like a long time but it's really not. It was 7 years between Gary's lockouts and when it happens fans still can't believe they're doing it all over again.

Guest Sinden

I can't argue with that, but I do believe most people are under the impression the two week break actually costs them money somehow.

The issues being that the players are getting paid by the NHL teams to go play an international tournament where they can potentially come back injured.

The main money issue comes with the non 10 or 11 major profiting NHL teams. They have trouble with forming a solid fan base as it is. Taking a two week break when the playoff race is heating up does not fair well for them. We are the only major North American sport to do this. There are also obvious positives with the NHL attending the Olympics.

Edited by Sinden

Anyone watching Pavel Datsyuk the past two games can tell he's clearly not recovered from his knee injury. He is only skating to "get conditioning" for Sochi. So if he injuries it further in Sochi and misses extended time after returning, fans are okay with that? ...

I'm ok with it. Pretty much once in a lifetime opportunity to represent your country on your home soil. He has every right to play. If something unfortunate happens, so be it. Same goes for any other player.

NHL players have played in 4 games so far, which has coincided with a period of enormous growth for the league. The Olympics probably has had little to do with that growth, but at least we can safely say there has been no discernable negative impact. And I'm guessing these games won't either.

Sure it would be better if the games didn't interrupt the season, but a little break once every four years can not be that great a burden.

I'm ok with it. Pretty much once in a lifetime opportunity to represent your country on your home soil. He has every right to play. If something unfortunate happens, so be it. Same goes for any other player.

NHL players have played in 4 games so far, which has coincided with a period of enormous growth for the league. The Olympics probably has had little to do with that growth, but at least we can safely say there has been no discernable negative impact. And I'm guessing these games won't either.

Sure it would be better if the games didn't interrupt the season, but a little break once every four years can not be that great a burden.

Agreed. This may be phase 1 of the NHL moving towards a World Cup type scenario where they can better control the timing and get a piece of the revenue.

As they've demonstrated with the Winter Classic, the meaning of the event itself doesn't count for much. It's all about the cash.

The issues being that the players are getting paid by the NHL teams to go play an international tournament where they can potentially come back injured.

The main money issue comes with the non 10 or 11 major profiting NHL teams. They have trouble with forming a solid fan base as it is. Taking a two week break when the playoff race is heating up does not fair well for them. We are the only major North American sport to do this. There are also obvious positives with the NHL attending the Olympics.

I don't really think they are. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but if a player has a contract that pays them say $5 million for an 82 game NHL season, why would you think they have to pay them any differently for an 82 game NHL season with a two week break in the middle.

If the owners are so worried about losing money/profits during the olympic break then maybe the team is somewhere where it shouldn't be to begin with.

And if they were really worried about "protecting their investments", they wouldn't be locking the players away from team training staffs every few years and forcing the player to go "potentially get injured" with an overseas team.

What it boils down to is, its only 2-3 weeks every 4 years. I could see if they were held every year or even every two years, but every 4 years?? F***in deal with it.

I can honestly say I've been itching for these Olympics since 2010. 2010 was freaking exciting...even though my team lost and the-one-who-shall-not-be-named scored the GWG. Anybody but him please. I watched the games at work and acted like I was at home. I had a 26" monitor on my side desk. People were coming into my office watching the games with me...talking hockey, at least attempting to converse about it. In a little old office, in South Texas. Ha, it was madness. My point being...it definitely gets people interested in hockey, even if only for the time being. It's a seed. And it's effin awesome.

Guest Sinden

I don't really think they are. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but if a player has a contract that pays them say $5 million for an 82 game NHL season, why would you think they have to pay them any differently for an 82 game NHL season with a two week break in the middle.

If the owners are so worried about losing money/profits during the olympic break then maybe the team is somewhere where it shouldn't be to begin with.

And if they were really worried about "protecting their investments", they wouldn't be locking the players away from team training staffs every few years and forcing the player to go "potentially get injured" with an overseas team.

What it boils down to is, its only 2-3 weeks every 4 years. I could see if they were held every year or even every two years, but every 4 years?? F***in deal with it.

Correct in the fact that they do not get more money.The issue being that the owner still has to pay them their paycheck for the 2 weeks they are gone. The main issue with participating ( aside from injury risk) is loosing profit from having a two week break. A pause from the game at this stage in the season is horrible timing for teams to deal with. To what you said about "the team being somewhere where it shouldn't be" the problem simply is that hockey is not recognized very well in America( you cant have a 15 team league). It is what it is and the NHL gets by.

Instead of having plenty of die hard fans like the NFL, lots of franchises have "lets go check out a hockey game, see what its about"