• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
DatsyukianDekes

NHL players will not participate in 2018 Olympics (Mod Post #99)

Rate this topic

@reporterchris: Patrick Kane says that the NHL's participation in the Olympics is good for hockey. "Anyone that doesn't see it that way is crazy."

Well with that great argument you have me convinced! Thanks Patty!

Its true hockey benefits enormously as a whole. CNN has Oshie on the ront-page, everyonen is talkitng about what a great game that was. Fans in Europe are getting a chance to watch their countrymen at much better manageable hours, which again benefits the sport.

Going to the Olympics does so much more for the game than things like putting hockey into areas that don't even know what snow is. So good for Kaner to speak it out take that Ed moron Snider.

Edited by frankgrimes

Fasel says there's no chance hockey could be moved to the Summer Games -- to avoid interrupting NHL seasons -- and he's not in favor of a World Cup of Hockey replacing best-on-best hockey at the Olympics.

Say "no!" to the Bettman Cup!

Say "no!" to the Bettman Cup!

It would just end up as a big after show, comparable to the hockey championsleague, world cup aso. Just goes to show us, how far apart from reality all these commissioners IIHF wannabe leaders and some owners - hello Snyder - are.

NHL players and even ones of the "lowere" leagues would thankfully decline to play in such a meaningless tournament.

The "Great Man Jr." speaks; from olympics dot cbc dot ca:

“The primary building blocks are logistics of travel, to and from the Olympics,” NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly said afterwards. “It was a big challenge coming to Sochi and it certainly would be a big challenge if we were to go to South Korea. Player insurance is always a factor with the magnitude and length of player contracts these days, an incredible number of assets at risk.

“So those were two of the most fundamental things we talked about.”

Uncle Gary asks: "Is the roof retractable on that arena?"

509acc60eb1241459e105f7843d7bde2-acaf496

During a news conference Tuesday that focused on whether the NHL should return to the Olympics in 2018, they had this exchange:

Fasel: “There is nothing like winning the Olympic gold medal.”

Bettman: “Except perhaps winning the Stanley Cup.”

Edited by cusimano_brothers

Well, a statistician has weighed in..

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/25/sports/hockey/study-says-top-nhl-teams-may-decline-after-sochi.html

The study says that the difference of goals per game / per player that went to the Olympics is 9-one-hundredths (0.088).

I dunno, I leave it to you to make your own decisions, but it seems random and susceptible to anomalies.

Lies, damned lies and statistics. - Benjamin Disreali

Well, a statistician has weighed in..

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/25/sports/hockey/study-says-top-nhl-teams-may-decline-after-sochi.html

The study says that the difference of goals per game / per player that went to the Olympics is 9-one-hundredths (0.088).

I dunno, I leave it to you to make your own decisions, but it seems random and susceptible to anomalies.

Lies, damned lies and statistics. - Benjamin Disreali

That's funny, opening paragraph Detroit isn't a playoff contender.

Several playoff contenders — the Chicago Blackhawks, the St. Louis Blues, the Montreal Canadiens, the Anaheim Ducks, the Vancouver Canucks, the Pittsburgh Penguins and the Rangers — sent seven or more players to the Sochi Olympics.

If Longley’s findings hold true after the Sochi Games, the Red Wings could be in trouble. Detroit, which is in position for the last playoff spot in the East, sent 10 players to the Olympics. One point behind the Red Wings are the Ottawa Senators, who sent two players.

Longley acknowledged that any individual team could still do well with a large number of Olympians. Detroit (in 1998 and 2002) and Chicago (in 2010) won the Stanley Cup after sending more players to the Olympics than the league average.

I was watching some of the Olympic highlights and thinking about how intense it was here during the USA/Russia shootout. It seems most of us here (myself included) are anti-shootout even when the Wings are good at it, but I admit the Oshie vs. Datsyuk event was the high point for me for the entire tournament. I don't think I'd be for it because that intensity would rarely be replicated, but in what way do you think the Olympic rules would improve/worsen an NHL shootout?

Sorry this is in the wrong thread but every time I go to post something Olympic related the thread is closed.

Guest Playmaker

Sure, if Team USA is playing Russia in an NHL city. Was that same bar filled for the Gold Medal game to watch Canada vs. Sweden.? How many bars were filled watching Latvia and Switzerland? The only memory now from the Olympics for Team USA is that they didn't medal and were shut out the final two games. Nobody cares about TJ Oshie now.

From TSN ...2010:

International Ice Hockey Federation president Rene Fasel took a detour from his otherwise diplomatic path midway through a question-and-answer session on Tuesday, offering a stern rebuttal when the moderator asked about the possibility of the NHL trying to establish a division in Europe.

"Try to come," Fasel said flatly. "Good luck."

Bring back the London Lions! Detroit Red Wings first European affiliate.

"In 1971, Detroit Red Wings-owner Bruce Norris presented plans for a European professional league with the best teams being able to participate in the Stanley Cup play-offs. Norris envisaged European club teams with working agreements with an NHL club and spent $300.000 on his European team, the London Lions. The league was planned to start in the autumn of 1973 but Russians and Czechs protested as professional athletes would stop all participation in the Olympic Games. The main stumbling block concerned the availability of players for the World Championships, which were played in March and April when the European League would be approaching the playoffs. Even if the idea of a league was off for the 1973-74 season, Norris decided to go ahead with the London Lions, which toured Europe like an ice-hockey equivalent of the Harlem Globetrotters." LINK

logo.jpg

I know it will kill my interest in Olympic hockey if I don't know any of the names.

It's the name on the front that matters.

Ahh I kid, I agree and can't say I look forward to watching the Red Army play a US amateur team again. Herb Brooks won't be around this time.

It's the name on the front that matters.

Ahh I kid, I agree and can't say I look forward to watching the Red Army play a US amateur team again. Herb Brooks won't be around this time.

No doubt.

People use the argument that it was more uplifting to watch those kids beat the world power in hockey than it is to watch NHL players to defend the removal of the NHL players. They say that the playing field is too even with pros involved.

I disagree. It might be that way for the US, but there's always Latvia (or Norway or Slovenia or...) to come along and be the underdog. Even in the NHL teams aren't evenly-matched. There's always the Cinderella story to add the "human interest" element to the games.

If NHL players don't play in the olympics it will be just like the world cup each year, boring hockey and uninteresting and the winner can't even claim to be the best since the best 500players in the world aren't playing.

Edited by Ekmanc

If NHL players don't play in the olympics it will be just like the world cup each year, boring hockey and uninteresting and the winner can't even claim to be the best since the best 500players in the world aren't playing.

You mean the World Championships.

The still unannounced World Cup would be NHL sanctioned, probably mandatory (like the ASG), and would probably replace the World Championships on years it occurs. We'll see if they can pull it together.

You mean the World Championships.

The still unannounced World Cup would be NHL sanctioned, probably mandatory (like the ASG), and would probably replace the World Championships on years it occurs. We'll see if they can pull it together.

The NHLPA would have thanks god something to say about that. Making a pre tournament event mandatory in the summer ? Good luck with that what if the newly signed top UFA is getting hurt ? Finland, Russia, Switzerland and Sweden would still sent a pro team the only ones losing are the US And Canada and nobody can honestly tell me, Hockey Canada would accept getting destroyed after back to back golds.

Also I think by the time the next olympics are happening we are going to see a hockeyguy running the show, so yes the players will go :)