Photo
* * * - - 2 votes

NHL players will not participate in 2018 Olympics (Mod Post #99)

• Please log in to reply
144 replies to this topic

#21 amato

amato

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,620 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 06:44 AM

Getting to play in one more year of Olympic games could be added incentive for pav to retire after his current contract is up.. :x

Datsyukian

Dat·syu·ki·an [dat-soo-kee-uh n]

adjective

1. When your moves are so amazing and beyond reason, the only way to describe them is "datsyukian."

#22 DickieDunn

DickieDunn

http://redwingsandotherthings.wordpress.com/

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,368 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 08:38 AM

I could see Ovechkin for sure heading to the Olympics, and any contracts that come up in the next few years will either have a clause included that allows them to go, or won't cover the 17-18 season.  Not all the players care enough enough to do that, but some of them do.

Oh this young man has had a very trying rookie season, with the litigation, the notoriety, his subsequent deportation to Canada and that country's refusal to accept him, well, I guess that's more than most 21-year-olds can handle... Ogie Ogilthorpe!

#23 Playmaker

Playmaker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,180 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 09:07 AM

They won't care if they aren't playing against the other best players in the league.  That's what makes it appealing.  Like I said, no NHL players broke contracts or had clauses put into their contracts to play in the Olympics before 1998.  It wasn't important and it will again become unimportant.  

#24 WingsallTheway

WingsallTheway

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 09:13 AM

This will undoubtebtly pose as a problem for the recruitment of european players in the future.

Many players will decide to play in the olympics anyway, causing an issue with the league. Some will decide not to come to north america at all while they can make more money in the KHL and still represent their country 

wingsalltheway.jpg

Pavel datsyuk is the best player in the world because he snatches the puck from unsuspecting players and  follows it up by the simultaneous undressing of the defence pairing.  The end result is a calm skate back to his bench  where he can bask in the praise of his multiple girlfriends from the motherland.

#25 b.shanafan14

b.shanafan14

One good Swede deserves another!

• Silver Booster
  • 2,870 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 09:17 AM

So..... who goes? Won't this also exclude AHL players that have two-way or entry-level contracts with the big club? Its essentially just going to be WJC all over again, minus most of the real blue-chip prospects, sprinkled with the odd unsigned/retired veteran or undrafted player. I think Canada and U.S.A. will be hit hardest, so I'll be interested to see how long a ban like this will last when we are no longer getting much sniff at the medal stand. They (Bettman and NBC) would probably be taking a big ratings hit in what all of us would probably consider to be the most entertaining event among the variations of human torpedoing, skiing, and ice dancing.

It doesn't work like it did before the NHL started sending players. Nowadays, the best players should always play. Period.

#26 DickieDunn

DickieDunn

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,368 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 09:34 AM

They won't care if they aren't playing against the other best players in the league.  That's what makes it appealing.  Like I said, no NHL players broke contracts or had clauses put into their contracts to play in the Olympics before 1998.  It wasn't important and it will again become unimportant.  

It had never been an option before that.  It's a lot easier to keep denying something than to take it away after it's become accepted practice.

Oh this young man has had a very trying rookie season, with the litigation, the notoriety, his subsequent deportation to Canada and that country's refusal to accept him, well, I guess that's more than most 21-year-olds can handle... Ogie Ogilthorpe!

#27 GoalieManPat

GoalieManPat

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 09:55 AM

I'm glad, when I found out the games would be hosted in South Korea I shook my head. 

Whats wrong with South Korea? They were co-host to the 2002 World Cup (an event which is more of an undertaking than the Olympics) and put on an amazing event. 

All in all if a player wants to play in the Olympics the NHL cant do a damn thing to stop them. Sure they can suspend the player but all they would need to do is pull a Kovalchuk and head to the KHL for probably a better contract. Hell if the player is good enough they could just ride out the suspension and know that with talent at a premium in the league right now at some point the original team or another team will take a chance on them.

The league wasnt as heavily influenced by European players back then as it is now. Europeans put quite a bit more stock into international competitions than North Americans do. 

#28 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,447 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 10:27 AM

Guess what NHL ? The players if they want to will go anyways but after seeing the conditions in Sochi I'm not surprised if some would pull out of that. Add to the that the ridiculous time difference (games at 6am anyone?!). Multi billonaires can't stand a standstill for two weeks unbelievable how greedy some of them are, must be a pleasure to work for them in normal life...

Can't wait till players are asking for olympic clauses *g*

How many other businesses do you know of that would shut down so their employees can go off and do something else without any benefit of all coming back to the company?  Initially, the idea was that the participation would help grow the game globally, but I don't think there is much impact at all from that.

I don't see it as a greed thing, I see it as a common sense thing.  There is no reason, whatsoever, for the owners to want to do it again in the future.  Will the players want to?  Sure, why not?  I'm not sure how important it is to them, but if it is important, it becomes a negotiation item with the league.  If the league agrees to it, what do the players give up in return?

#29 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,039 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 12:36 PM

How many other businesses do you know of that would shut down so their employees can go off and do something else without any benefit of all coming back to the company?  Initially, the idea was that the participation would help grow the game globally, but I don't think there is much impact at all from that.

Just about every other major team sport in the world?  The World Cups of Soccer, Rugby League, Rugby Union, Cricket and more besides all take place during someones season.  International sports, that recognise the fact that they are international.

There's a hell of a lot of arrogant nationalism that borders on xenophobia in this thread, and I'm finding it very hard to not go on a rant.  All the wah-wah about Russia being in a different time zone, about the seeming irrelevance of South Korea  - quick, someone tell Hasek his gold medal from Nagano doesn't count!

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#30 DickieDunn

DickieDunn

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,368 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 12:41 PM

I don't see it as a greed thing, I see it as a common sense thing.  There is no reason, whatsoever, for the owners to want to do it again in the future.  Will the players want to?  Sure, why not?  I'm not sure how important it is to them, but if it is important, it becomes a negotiation item with the league.  If the league agrees to it, what do the players give up in return?

Most companies allow vacation time though, where their employees can take time off to go pursue other interests.

#31 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,605 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 12:41 PM

all_about_benjamins_small.jpg

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#32 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,575 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 12:55 PM

:clap:

PLENTY of U20 talent in the WORLD to have just as good Olympic Tournament...

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

#33 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,605 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 01:00 PM

Lots of amateur hockey talent to draw from.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#34 DickieDunn

DickieDunn

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,368 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 01:18 PM

:clap:

PLENTY of U20 talent in the WORLD to have just as good Olympic Tournament...

So in other words, you want the World Juniors to be the Olympics every 4 years.

#35 Internet.Unknown

Internet.Unknown

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 01:36 PM

Guess what NHL ? The players if they want to will go anyways but after seeing the conditions in Sochi I'm not surprised if some would pull out of that. Add to the that the ridiculous time difference (games at 6am anyone?!). Multi billonaires can't stand a standstill for two weeks unbelievable how greedy some of them are, must be a pleasure to work for them in normal life...

Can't wait till players are asking for olympic clauses *g*

** The above message brought to you by Occupy Hockeytown.

Meanwhile, the NHL will play the same number of games as in a non-Olympic year. A two week "standstill" has absolutely no effect on that.

#36 Opie

Opie

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,419 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 01:37 PM

I don't like professional athletes in Olympics to begin with.

I like the Olympics for the same reason I like College sports (not Football or Basketball those sports are run like pro sports even in college).

Even if the Russian team really was a pro team, the Miracle on ice is special because of the people involved, not the countries, it was scrappy college kids VS the BIG RED MACHINE!

Sure the US V USSR was a story line, but if this version of the US men's hockey teams beats Russia 4-3 will it be the same story as before, I say no.

The only real story would be the Russians losing at home.

But then again that is my opinion, and my opinion often times differs from the popular opinion.

Where is the line drawn though, anyone with endorsements is considered pro, or anyone with a contract from a pro league?

I also think the venues have a lot to do with the way athletes have viewed the Olympics.

Being in the US, Canada, London, China, or Japan is a lot different from being in Sochi or South Korea. Athletes, especially professional athletes in NA have become very accustomed to a standard of living and accommodations, which is one reason Sochi is getting such bad press. Spoiled or not, not being able to flush toilet paper or having to take a dump next to another person would be enough to turn me away.

The infrastructure and the demands on a town like Sochi are too high for underdeveloped nations or cities (I admit Russia is not underdeveloped, but Sochi is/was.)

They spent billions of dollars to get Sochi ready, yet it isn't ready. There are still hotels that were meant for the Olympics that are concrete and re-bar, the well documented Dog issues that plague the Olympics, the Sewer/ sanitation issues, cleanliness of hotel rooms, all things that are being well documented. The conditions of venues is also an issue. Not saying there weren't issues in Salt Lake or Vancouver, but they were not safety and hygiene related!

Think about the GNPs of these nations, 

1. US ($16 T)

2. China($8  T)

3. Japan (~$6 T)

4. Germany ($3.5T)

5. France (~$2.5 T)

6. UK (~$2.5 T)

7. Brazil ($2 T)

8. Russia ($2 T)

9. Italy ($2 T)

10. India (~$2 T)

11. Canada (~$2 T)

12. Australia ($1.5 T)

13. Spain (~$1.5 T)

14. Mexico ($1.1 T)

15 South Korea ($1.1 T)

Do you really think things will be better in South Korea than in Sochi (2x the GNP)? Plus you add to that the political climate there is far worse than it is in Russia.

I am not saying they couldn't pull it off, Greece did, other smaller Scandinavian countries have, but those were different times, Athletes now are some of the highest paid people in the world, and as I said above have become accustomed to a certain life style, sharing the crapper is not something I would sign up for and my life is no where near as luxurious as theirs!

As far as the comment about Hasek getting his medal from Nagano is off base as Japan may be small size wise, but is very large when it comes to GNP and their ability to spend money to get a venue ready and is also a very technologically driven country, granted their Nuke Plants may not be very strategically stationed but they still have many advantages over Russia.

"The more I know about people - the better I like my dog." - Mark Twain

"A wise man once told me, ‘Don’t argue with fools. Cause people from a distance can’t tell who is who'." Jay Z, Takeover

"When I was looking for a captain, I wanted a guy with the Red Wings crest tattooed on his chest," said former Detroit coach Jacques Demers, who named Yzerman captain in 1986. "Steve Yzerman was that guy."

“Told him if he wasn't ultra-competitive he couldn't come here. If he didn't bring it every day he couldn't come here, because he was going to hate it if he didn't, dislike the coach and dislike playing here.
“It's real straightforward. If you don't do it right, you're not happy here." Babcock

#37 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,003 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 01:58 PM

What makes people think an Olympic clause is even possible?  If the NHL says no, the NHL says no.  You don't have to like it.  You can  go AWOL at the risk of having your IIHF card revoked and then you can't play anywhere.

Kronwalled.net - Keep Yer Head up Kid

MONEY ON THE BOARD: $10/Kronwalling (1), $1/goal by: Nyquist, Tatar, Jurco, Sheahan, disney.com (1), Andersson, Dekeyser, Pulkinnen, Ouellet, or Sproul.  2X MULTIPLIER: disney.com.  CONSOLATION PRIZE: $5/goal by: Datsyuk (3), $3/goal by: Z (1). MOTB TOTAL: $30

#38 vladdy16

vladdy16

The rest are neophytes.

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 6,158 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 02:06 PM

I'm all for not participating in the Olympics, but part of me thinks this is going to be used as a bargaining chip on the part of the NHL.  They could probably get some pretty big concessions from the NHLPA.

Can't wait to read the "Phoenix: I still think it's a hockey market" chapter of Gary Bettman's autobiography. I'm guessing it's going to be chapter 11.

- mjlegend 3/9/2011

#39 sibiriak

sibiriak

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 02:24 PM

That was because North American "professionals" were not allowed to play in the Olympics before 1998. So they wouldn't have been allowed to play even if they broke their contracts. It's a whole new game after 1998.

I'm all for not participating in the Olympics, but part of me thinks this is going to be used as a bargaining chip on the part of the NHL.  They could probably get some pretty big concessions from the NHLPA.

I think you are right. This is Bettman starting his next CBA "negotiations" early. They (the owners) have done used the Olympic participation as a bargaining chip every time since 1998.

Edited by sibiriak, 10 February 2014 - 02:24 PM.

#40 Playmaker

Playmaker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,180 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 02:28 PM

Just about every other major team sport in the world?  The World Cups of Soccer, Rugby League, Rugby Union, Cricket and more besides all take place during someones season.  International sports, that recognise the fact that they are international.

There's a hell of a lot of arrogant nationalism that borders on xenophobia in this thread, and I'm finding it very hard to not go on a rant.  All the wah-wah about Russia being in a different time zone, about the seeming irrelevance of South Korea  - quick, someone tell Hasek his gold medal from Nagano doesn't count!

Russia and South Korea's timezones are very significant in regards to ratings, and therefore, revenue.  If games are on  at 3am, they won't get seen live.  Then most know the score before the game is on tv and don't bother to tune in.  South Korea is also like a 14 hour + plane flight.  So they'd probably have to add on another day or two for travel, and "celebration" days for the winning team, who it will take a lot longer to get home.  2018 doesn't make sense to participate in at all