Photo
* * * - - 2 votes

NHL players will not participate in 2018 Olympics (Mod Post #99)

• Please log in to reply
144 replies to this topic

#121 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,612 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 01:21 PM

From Globe and Mail

The NHL will likely make a decision about its participation in the 2018 Winter Olympics in South Korea within six months, deputy commissioner Bill Daly predicted Tuesday in an far-ranging interview that touched on the NHL’s Olympic participation, past, present and future.

“I can tell you, (a decision) shouldn’t take all that long,” said Daly, soon after arriving with the NHL contingent for what many believe could be the league’s last involvement with the Olympic Games. “It’s part of a broader discussion with the players association about what we’re doing internationally. That discussion is under way. I would anticipate a fairly quick resolution with respect to the Olympics – six months.”

Still with that delusional dream of setting up shop in Europe?

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#122 DickieDunn

DickieDunn

http://redwingsandotherthings.wordpress.com/

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 01:34 PM

The only way European expansion would work is if there was a separate conference and each team had to make only one trip overseas each year.  Even then the Cup Finals would be a nightmare.  You think that West Coast trips were bad for the Wings?  What would an LA-Berlin FInals be like time-wise?

It would also lead to a mostly North American player based group of teams and a mostly European player based group of teams.  Canadian and American guy are going to be less likely to want to play there and Europeans are going to be less likely to want to play here if they can get NHL salaries playing close to home.

Then there's the difference between how European teams are traditionally run and sponsored, and pay their players, and how things are done here.  Would NBC or ESPN want to pay a s*** ton of money to have broadcasting rights for teams that are going to play their games at 6 AM our time?

It is in no way a good idea.

Edited by DickieDunn, 12 February 2014 - 01:37 PM.

Oh this young man has had a very trying rookie season, with the litigation, the notoriety, his subsequent deportation to Canada and that country's refusal to accept him, well, I guess that's more than most 21-year-olds can handle... Ogie Ogilthorpe!

#123 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,612 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 01:48 PM

From TSN ...2010: 

International Ice Hockey Federation president Rene Fasel took a detour from his otherwise diplomatic path midway through a question-and-answer session on Tuesday, offering a stern rebuttal when the moderator asked about the possibility of the NHL trying to establish a division in Europe.

"Try to come," Fasel said flatly. "Good luck."

#124 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,924 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 09:16 PM

This is just another ridiculous idea by the NHL.

Most european hockeyfans are like me:

We love watching the best players in the world (NHL) but other than that, we don't care about international competition (safe vor Olympics obviously) and are pretty happy with our "lower" domestic leagues. (NLA, SEL und FEL aren't that bad mind you :) ). As long as we can see a lot of homegrown talents, local heroes coupled with few but very good foreigners giving their all, we are happy :)

So if the NHL îs trying to pull something like this off, it would be a disaster. Maybe the NHL should learn a thing or two from the KHL, they thought they could compete with the NHL and tried to get other clubs to join them, well most teams and fans aren't interested in them nor the competition against the NHL..the only way the KHL has is to force other teams into their league, this can be compared to a hostile takeover.

As others have mentioned, the corporate system is totally different you have sponsors plaguing the jerseys and not just one/two owners who are paying for everything, the player freedom is also completely different - in my honest opinion this would NEVER work.

Another point I wanted to make is this, the league can't even sustain 30 teams and now they want to create even more? That's ridiculous the league should shrink not grow. Sometimes I'm wondering if those running tthe NHL are honestly so out of touch with reality, that they are seeing $$$$ 24 / 7 and nothing else, disgusting.

Edited by frankgrimes, 12 February 2014 - 09:25 PM.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#125 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,612 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 08:23 PM

From ESPN:

"I'm going to work hard and do the best I can to get the NHL and NHL players in Pyeongchang,'' Fasel said Tuesday in a telephone interview with The Associated Press. "I will do everything I can -- seven days a week -- until a decision is made.

"But ultimately, that decision will be made by them.''

Fasel says there's no chance hockey could be moved to the Summer Games -- to avoid interrupting NHL seasons -- and he's not in favor of a World Cup of Hockey replacing best-on-best hockey at the Olympics.

So much for "Throwback Olympics Hockey".

#126 Playmaker

Playmaker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,189 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 06:30 AM

From ESPN:

So much for "Throwback Olympics Hockey".

Of course he's not in favor of a World Cup because then the IIHF wouldn't have full control.  

#127 BottleOfSmoke

BottleOfSmoke

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,015 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 09:40 AM

@reporterchris: Patrick Kane says that the NHL's participation in the Olympics is good for hockey. "Anyone that doesn't see it that way is crazy."

Well with that great argument you have me convinced! Thanks Patty!

LGWsig_zpsa75c5d1e.jpg

#128 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,612 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 12:30 PM

Patrick Kane: "The New Face of the IIHF"

#129 DickieDunn

DickieDunn

http://redwingsandotherthings.wordpress.com/

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 12:36 PM

Patrick Kane: "The New Face of the IIHF"

I'd rather see Patrick Kane: New face of my paintball target

Oh this young man has had a very trying rookie season, with the litigation, the notoriety, his subsequent deportation to Canada and that country's refusal to accept him, well, I guess that's more than most 21-year-olds can handle... Ogie Ogilthorpe!

#130 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,924 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 11:24 PM

@reporterchris: Patrick Kane says that the NHL's participation in the Olympics is good for hockey. "Anyone that doesn't see it that way is crazy."
Well with that great argument you have me convinced! Thanks Patty!

Its true hockey benefits enormously as a whole. CNN has Oshie on the ront-page, everyonen is talkitng about what a great game that was. Fans in Europe are getting a chance to watch their countrymen at much better manageable hours, which again benefits the sport.

Going to the Olympics does so much more for the game than things like putting hockey into areas that don't even know what snow is. So good for Kaner to speak it out take that Ed moron Snider.

Edited by frankgrimes, 15 February 2014 - 11:28 PM.

kftx.jpg

#131 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,057 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 03:05 AM

Fasel says there's no chance hockey could be moved to the Summer Games -- to avoid interrupting NHL seasons -- and he's not in favor of a World Cup of Hockey replacing best-on-best hockey at the Olympics.

Say "no!" to the Bettman Cup!

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#132 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,924 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 08:42 AM

Say "no!" to the Bettman Cup!

It would just end up as a big after show, comparable to the hockey championsleague, world cup aso. Just goes to show us, how far apart from reality all these commissioners IIHF wannabe leaders and some owners - hello Snyder - are.

NHL players and even ones of the "lowere" leagues would thankfully decline to play in such a meaningless tournament.

kftx.jpg

#133 GoalieManPat

GoalieManPat

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,364 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 04:51 PM

Bars aren't going to be packed with fans if the finals are at 7:30 am.  

O Rly?

http://youtu.be/vRWPlKAb3zM

Edited by GoalieManPat, 17 February 2014 - 04:52 PM.

#134 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,612 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 09:14 AM

The "Great Man Jr." speaks; from olympics dot cbc dot ca:

“The primary building blocks are logistics of travel, to and from the Olympics,” NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly said afterwards. “It was a big challenge coming to Sochi and it certainly would be a big challenge if we were to go to South Korea. Player insurance is always a factor with the magnitude and length of player contracts these days, an incredible number of assets at risk.

“So those were two of the most fundamental things we talked about.”

Uncle Gary asks: "Is the roof retractable on that arena?"

509acc60eb1241459e105f7843d7bde2-acaf496

During a news conference Tuesday that focused on whether the NHL should return to the Olympics in 2018, they had this exchange:

Fasel: “There is nothing like winning the Olympic gold medal.”

Bettman: “Except perhaps winning the Stanley Cup.”

Edited by cusimano_brothers, 18 February 2014 - 09:14 AM.

#135 FireCaptain

FireCaptain

This space for rent.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 12:05 AM

Well, a statistician has weighed in..

http://www.nytimes.c...fter-sochi.html

The study says that the difference of goals per game / per player that went to the Olympics is 9-one-hundredths (0.088). 

I dunno, I leave it to you to make your own decisions, but it seems random and susceptible to anomalies. 

Lies, damned lies and statistics. - Benjamin Disreali

Most nights, my posts are brought to you by Heineken and sarcasm.
Success has a thousand fathers, failure is an orphan.
We not score, is hard to win. - Pavel Datsyuk #13

#136 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,023 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 12:15 AM

Well, a statistician has weighed in..

http://www.nytimes.c...fter-sochi.html

The study says that the difference of goals per game / per player that went to the Olympics is 9-one-hundredths (0.088). 

I dunno, I leave it to you to make your own decisions, but it seems random and susceptible to anomalies. 

Lies, damned lies and statistics. - Benjamin Disreali

That's funny, opening paragraph Detroit isn't a playoff contender.

Several playoff contenders — the Chicago Blackhawks, the St. Louis Blues, the Montreal Canadiens, the Anaheim Ducks, the Vancouver Canucks, the Pittsburgh Penguins and the Rangers — sent seven or more players to the Sochi Olympics.

If Longley’s findings hold true after the Sochi Games, the Red Wings could be in trouble. Detroit, which is in position for the last playoff spot in the East, sent 10 players to the Olympics. One point behind the Red Wings are the Ottawa Senators, who sent two players.

Longley acknowledged that any individual team could still do well with a large number of Olympians. Detroit (in 1998 and 2002) and Chicago (in 2010) won the Stanley Cup after sending more players to the Olympics than the league average.

Kronwalled.net - Keep Yer Head up Kid

MONEY ON THE BOARD: $10/Kronwalling (1), $1/goal by: Nyquist, Tatar, Jurco, Sheahan, disney.com (1), Andersson, Dekeyser, Pulkinnen, Ouellet, or Sproul.  2X MULTIPLIER: disney.com.  CONSOLATION PRIZE: $5/goal by: Datsyuk (3), $3/goal by: Z (1). MOTB TOTAL: $30

#137 Mckinley25

Mckinley25

4th Line Grinder

• Bronze Booster
  • 277 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 09:58 AM

I was watching some of the Olympic highlights and thinking about how intense it was here during the USA/Russia shootout. It seems most of us here (myself included) are anti-shootout even when the Wings are good at it, but I admit the Oshie vs. Datsyuk event was the high point for me for the entire tournament. I don't think I'd be for it because that intensity would rarely be replicated, but in what way do you think the Olympic rules would improve/worsen an NHL shootout?

Sorry this is in the wrong thread but every time I go to post something Olympic related the thread is closed.

#138 Playmaker

Playmaker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,189 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 10:27 AM

Sure, if Team USA is playing Russia in an NHL city.  Was that same bar filled for the Gold Medal game to watch Canada vs. Sweden.? How many bars were filled watching Latvia and Switzerland?  The only memory now from the Olympics for Team USA is that they didn't medal and were shut out the final two games.  Nobody cares about TJ Oshie now.

#139 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• Gold Booster
  • 1,776 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 12:13 PM

From TSN ...2010: 

International Ice Hockey Federation president Rene Fasel took a detour from his otherwise diplomatic path midway through a question-and-answer session on Tuesday, offering a stern rebuttal when the moderator asked about the possibility of the NHL trying to establish a division in Europe.
"Try to come," Fasel said flatly. "Good luck."

Bring back the London Lions! Detroit Red Wings first European affiliate.

"In 1971, Detroit Red Wings-owner Bruce Norris presented plans for a European professional league with the best teams being able to participate in the Stanley Cup play-offs. Norris envisaged European club teams with working agreements with an NHL club and spent $300.000 on his European team, the London Lions. The league was planned to start in the autumn of 1973 but Russians and Czechs protested as professional athletes would stop all participation in the Olympic Games. The main stumbling block concerned the availability of players for the World Championships, which were played in March and April when the European League would be approaching the playoffs. Even if the idea of a league was off for the 1973-74 season, Norris decided to go ahead with the London Lions, which toured Europe like an ice-hockey equivalent of the Harlem Globetrotters."  LINK

logo.jpg

"The leader must never close the gap between himself and the group. If he does, he is no longer what he must be. He must walk a tightrope between the consent he must win and the control he must exert."
Vince Lombardi

When asked who won, Babcock said, “Well it doesn’t really matter as long as you don’t lose. It’s like going bear hunting, you take a slow guy with you in case the bear is hungry.”

#140 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,612 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 02:13 PM

Mr D.S.Cherry with his opinion:

Edited by cusimano_brothers, 02 March 2014 - 02:16 PM.