Photo
* * * - - 2 votes

NHL players will not participate in 2018 Olympics (Mod Post #99)

• Please log in to reply
144 replies to this topic

#141 softshoes

softshoes

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 03:43 PM

I know it will kill my interest in Olympic hockey if I don't know any of the names.

It's the name on the front that matters.

Ahh I kid, I agree and can't say I look forward to watching the Red Army play a US amateur team again. Herb Brooks won't be around this time.

"Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f***in beatin's. The world ends when you're dead. Until then you got more punishment in store.Stand it like a man, and give some back."

- Al Swearengen

#142 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,878 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 07:32 AM

It's the name on the front that matters.

Ahh I kid, I agree and can't say I look forward to watching the Red Army play a US amateur team again. Herb Brooks won't be around this time.

No doubt.

People use the argument that it was more uplifting to watch those kids beat the world power in hockey than it is to watch NHL players to defend the removal of the NHL players.  They say that the playing field is too even with pros involved.

I disagree.  It might be that way for the US, but there's always Latvia (or Norway or Slovenia or...) to come along and be the underdog.  Even in the NHL teams aren't evenly-matched.  There's always the Cinderella story to add the "human interest" element to the games.

#143 Ekmanc

Ekmanc

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 810 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 07:39 AM

If NHL players don't play in the olympics it will be just like the world cup each year, boring hockey and uninteresting and the winner can't even claim to be the best since the best 500players in the world aren't playing.

Edited by Ekmanc, 03 March 2014 - 07:39 AM.

#144 evilmrt

evilmrt

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,534 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 10:24 AM

If NHL players don't play in the olympics it will be just like the world cup each year, boring hockey and uninteresting and the winner can't even claim to be the best since the best 500players in the world aren't playing.

You mean the World Championships.

The still unannounced World Cup would be NHL sanctioned, probably mandatory (like the ASG), and would probably replace the World Championships on years it occurs. We'll see if they can pull it together.

#145 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,745 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 01:17 PM

You mean the World Championships.

The still unannounced World Cup would be NHL sanctioned, probably mandatory (like the ASG), and would probably replace the World Championships on years it occurs. We'll see if they can pull it together.

The NHLPA would have thanks god something to say about that. Making a pre tournament event mandatory in the summer ? Good luck with that what if the newly signed top UFA is getting hurt ? Finland, Russia, Switzerland and Sweden would still sent a pro team the only ones losing are the US And Canada and nobody can honestly tell me, Hockey Canada would accept getting destroyed after back  to back golds.

Also I think by the time the next olympics are happening we are going to see a hockeyguy running the show, so yes the players will go :)

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..