• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
LAWings

Zetterberg out with herniated disc

Rate this topic

Update:

Extremely disappointing management decisions here. From opting to ignore the bone fragment three months ago, to allowing him to go to the Olympics like that....WTF Holland?

From a surgical perspective, it is not worth doing such an invasive surgery when the problem is not causing serious risk of long term damage.

Either way, I don't blame him nor Holland for any of these decisions. Injuries happen and they are part of the game. Yes it's unfortunate he couldn't have waited til the offseason, but a compressed spinal nerve is painful as hell. If he comes back for the playoffs then awesome, if not we'll have to live with it.

No one high profile is available, and the mid-tier guys will, like the last few seasons, require selling the farm. I think the Wings should sell, stock up on picks and prospects and make a push next year.

Can we afford to sell, though? The playoffs are still the goal, and to get there we're gonna need all hands on deck.

I actually think we're more likely to be buyers.

People seem to forget, besides the back injury, the guy will be 34 next season. Don't expect any stellar numbers, even if his back is better.

That's a fair point. Although, I honestly believe this season was one of the best in Z's career and that's saying something.

I do agree that it's a shame the Red Wings are stuck in transitional years as the Euro Twins continue to get older. By the time all of these prospects are fully integrated, Pav and Z will be gone or likely declining.

@Bill_Roose: Quincey said his L4-L5 Discectomy in 2009, same surgery RedWings Zetterberg had, was "best decision I ever made. Pain was gone immediately."

Here's to hoping surgery won't change Henrik Zetterberg into Kyle Quincey... :lol:

My friend putting those two names in one sentence is blasphemy!

Both Z and Datsyuk are actually improving year after year. Z's career won't be as long as Datsyuk's but I'm not worried about either being less effective. Age is just a number, and I'm surprised so many people cling to these outdated notions of 30+ year olds suddenly becoming useless old horses. With medicine and conditioning the way it is these days, that's not as true as It used to be.

I actually hope this gives Z a new lease on playing. I know he'll have back pains forever probably, but this could help him in the long run couldn't it?

Both Z and Datsyuk are actually improving year after year. Z's career won't be as long as Datsyuk's but I'm not worried about either being less effective. Age is just a number, and I'm surprised so many people cling to these outdated notions of 30+ year olds suddenly becoming useless old horses. With medicine and conditioning the way it is these days, that's not as true as It used to be.

I actually hope this gives Z a new lease on playing. I know he'll have back pains forever probably, but this could help him in the long run couldn't it?

Hopefully this gives him a break from back issues at least. Would be great if he could get a few seasons of good health.

I like your enthusiasm, VM - but age is definitely not just a number. I'm not saying anyone above 30 is a useless old horse, I'm just saying our core is old, injury prone, and will be in decline sooner rather than later (if it isn't already). I don't like that that's true, but it is. Again, if it were only one or two guys, that'd be one thing. But it's not. Datsyuk, Franzen, Kronwall, Zetterberg, Alfredsson... :confused:

Guest Playmaker

I don't. This wasn't a Ray Bourque type of thing, where it was like the management of a subpar team wanted to give a long time legend a chance at winning the Stanley Cup. Ottawa is a decent team and Alfie left feeling disrespected by the contract offer or lack thereof. It wasn't an amicable departure at all. Can't see any reason he'd go back.

Can we afford to sell, though? The playoffs are still the goal, and to get there we're gonna need all hands on deck.

I actually think we're more likely to be buyers.

They can be buyers, but, this team isn't one mid tier player away from making a cup run, and maybe not even from making a playoff run.

20 of the next 25 are against teams that are currently in a playoff spot, or very close to one, and of those 16 are against teams that are as it stands today making the playoffs. The Wings can not drop a single game, it's that close, and with Howard's inconsistency, Z being out, and the lack of scoring, its hard to imagine they don't fall out at some point.

Edited by Shaman

I find it's really a case by case basis. There's the Selanne, Chelios, Lidstrom guys who are ageless and then you have guys that decline. Using Wings players as an example, Sammy, Tuzzi, Cleary, Draper and Homer even their last years. Age is a fickle thing. One year some guys are amazing, the next they're at the bottom of the hill looking up.

Z and Dats, I agree keep getting better. They can stay and play till they're 50 if they keep their game with them.

History is not on their side. Most players, even great one are done at 35. very few play at the highest of levels after 35 in any sport. That does not mean they will go from 70 point guys to 30 points over night.

They can be buyers, but, this team isn't one mid tier player away from making a cup run, and maybe not even from making a playoff run.

20 of the next 25 are against teams that are currently in a playoff spot, or very close to one, and of those 16 are against teams that are as it stands today making the playoffs. The Wings can not drop a single game, it's that close, and with Howard's inconsistency, Z being out, and the lack of scoring, its hard to imagine they don't fall out at some point.

if the wings were still in the west, i would agree with you. but the eastern conference is terrible so i think anything's possible

but they're going to need datsyuk to at least play as well as he did in the olympics to have a shot

Edited by chances14

Holland had better get to inquiring about Thomas Vanek. Better yet, he can do it when Garth Snow is drunk and offer him a few cute puck bunnies.

garth-snow-islanders-party.jpg

Snow wants a first + A level prospect + B level prospect for a rental no way teams are going to give that up for ~ 2 months of Vanek.

Glad there's hope he can return in time for the playoffs. IF we make the playoffs of course. Hopefully a healthy Weiss can help get things going.

If this team is to do anything, he needs to get it going. We are going to need his offense and defensive game if we expect to make the playoffs.

If this team is to do anything, he needs to get it going. We are going to need his offense and defensive game if we expect to make the playoffs.

Agreed. I have faith he can be effective now that he is healthy. With Mule also expected back Wednesday, hopefully they can start climbing the standings a little bit so we can all relax lol.