• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
LAWings

Zetterberg out with herniated disc

Rate this topic

http://www.nhl.com/ice/blogpost.htm?id=26171&navid=nhl:topheads

Sweden captain Henrik Zetterberg did not take part in practice Thursday and missed the team picture due to a herniated disk.

Zetterberg is day-to-day and could still play against Switzerland on Friday (7:30 a.m. ET, NBCSN, TSN), according to Sweden team doctor Bjorn Waldenberg.

"We will [make the] decision [Friday] and see how he feels and how he adjusts to anti-inflammatory treatment and rest," Waldenberg said.

Zetterberg, also the captain of the Detroit Red Wings, has missed 13 NHL games this season due to back issues.

Zetterberg had a goal and won seven of 16 faceoffs in 18:14 of ice time Wednesday in Sweden’s 4-2 win against the Czech Republic.

Lovely... just friggin lovely.

Theres no way he should play against that dumpster fire of a team tomorrow. Really shouldnt be playing at all actually for the remained of the games. Even if it were the Wings season right now Id be saying the same thing.

Listening to the interview with Team Sweden's doctor, I'm less worried. Sounds like it's the same thing he's been dealing with every now and then the last couple of weeks. Not good of course, but doesn't seem like anything that's likely to keep him out for very long, if he even misses the game tomorrow.

It sucks that both Z and Pav are playing through these injuries but what can you do. I for one would think it's worse if they miss maybe their final chance at Olympic gold.

Just so it's clear, he didn't herniate a new disc of even re-injure the previous one.

It's become inflamed and is uncomfortable so he's resting it a bit. That's all.

Yup. I don't get the sense that anything has really changed, aside from some inflammation. I don't have a whole lot to base this on, but I feel like if the next game were a Wings game, he'd be playing. He probably had a talk with the appropriate people and they all decided he doesn't need to play the next game, maybe even the one after that - basically, rest until the games really matter.

Keep in mind - most people probably don't know about Z's back issues. Sure, Wings fans and Swedes do, and certainly Swedish Wings fans do. But Average Joe Hockey Fans? Mostly no, I have to think.

So, if this is a Sochi-centric story (and it is), you're sort of obligated to mention that he had a herniated disc and the inflammation is stemming from that.

Does that make any sense? It sounded clearer in my head.

Keep in mind - most people probably don't know about Z's back issues. Sure, Wings fans and Swedes do, and certainly Swedish Wings fans do. But Average Joe Hockey Fans? Mostly no, I have to think.

So, if this is a Sochi-centric story (and it is), you're sort of obligated to mention that he had a herniated disc and the inflammation is stemming from that.

Does that make any sense? It sounded clearer in my head.

I find that all too often. People come up to me and say something like, "I see you guys lost another guy" and it turns out the national media is just reporting a roster move the Wings made, like actually putting someone on IR to make space although they had been out for days or weeks already.

Guest L3T5G0W1NG5

If this guy decides to play through this injury, and isn't 100% when it comes to playing for the Red Wings, we should fire him.

Z really tried hard to be in the lineup for detroit with datsyuk out. You could tell he wasn't fully healthy when playing the last few weeks. I think if Datsyuk was heathy Z would have sat a lot more.

Absolutely. He probably also feels that the C on his chest makes him beholden to Be Like Stevie, re: playing through stuff that would render mortal men fully incapacitated.

If this guy decides to play through this injury, and isn't 100% when it comes to playing for the Red Wings, we should fire him.

He wasn't 100% leading up to the Olympics either. Z played through it with the Red Wings too, so he should have been fired already I guess. For the record, you never really get to 100% with a back injury.

Wow, some of the responses in this thread...unbelievable. His back has been injured all year. It's not like he injured it MORE by playing in the Olympics. If he wasn't playing in Sochi he'd be playing in Detroit, and he'd still be getting injured because the NHL game is more physical.

Are you people just dying or a reason to b*tch or what?

Wow, some of the responses in this thread...unbelievable. His back has been injured all year. It's not like he injured it MORE by playing in the Olympics. If he wasn't playing in Sochi he'd be playing in Detroit, and he'd still be getting injured because the NHL game is more physical.

206636171_0021c26a2e.jpgsorry.....I had to =)

Guest L3T5G0W1NG5

If you don't think that playing hockey has an affect on his back, I will assume you've never strapped on a pair of skates.

Gary Lawless tweeted that the Swedish media is reporting that he is done for the entire Olympics. Duthie retweeted it, so hopefully Duthie knows how credible this guy is, because I sure as hell never heard of him.