• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
LAWings

Zetterberg out with herniated disc

Rate this topic

Gary Lawless tweeted that the Swedish media is reporting that he is done for the entire Olympics. Duthie retweeted it, so hopefully Duthie knows how credible this guy is, because I sure as hell never heard of him.

And nobody knows whats going on. Everyone is calling Lawless out and nothing new yet...so I'd take it with a grain of salt until more details emerge.

Datsyuk isn't even practicing with Team Russia. Now our other big guy is out with the back acting up again. Too many good players on Detroit, means too many guys being invited to the Olympics. Selfish to say, but I really wish this year wasn't an Olympic year. And guys are either too stubborn or pressured to take part, to ever decline an invite - especially classy guys like Hank and Pavs [who is nowhere near ready to play from that concussion].

Datsyuk isn't even practicing with Team Russia. Now our other big guy is out with the back acting up again. Too many good players on Detroit, means too many guys being invited to the Olympics. Selfish to say, but I really wish this year wasn't an Olympic year. And guys are either too stubborn or pressured to take part, to ever decline an invite - especially classy guys like Hank and Pavs [who is nowhere near ready to play from that concussion].

Okay, so what is Pav's injury and where are you getting this information or is that your opinion? I've heard groin, knee, and now concussion again.

Wow, some of the responses in this thread...unbelievable. His back has been injured all year. It's not like he injured it MORE by playing in the Olympics. If he wasn't playing in Sochi he'd be playing in Detroit, and he'd still be getting injured because the NHL game is more physical.

Are you people just dying or a reason to b*tch or what?

Actually he'd be in Mexico babysitting, since there is no nhl right now :)

Why is the entire world suddenly freaking out about Z taking another maintenance day? He pretty much takes one every day there's not a game. I don't get the feeling that this is any different.

Because the Swedish media is looking for any story to make a big tabloid deal out of.

For the record, you never really get to 100% with a back injury.

I was gonna mention this. It's probably not crazy to assume he's never truly at 100%. Which is pretty amazing when you consider how good he is.

Wow, some of the responses in this thread...unbelievable. His back has been injured all year. It's not like he injured it MORE by playing in the Olympics. If he wasn't playing in Sochi he'd be playing in Detroit, and he'd still be getting injured because the NHL game is more physical.

Are you people just dying or a reason to b*tch or what?

Well, to be fair, the best thing for his back and his long-term health and our playoff/Cup chances would probably be a two-week vacation, not flying over to Russia and battling for Olympic Gold for two weeks against stacked Canadian, American, and Russian all-star teams. Not that I'm really complaining, but I can totally understand how him aggravating his already touchy condition in Sochi would rub people the wrong way.

Well, I am not going to speculate, Z knows what he can do, and what he can't with that back. But this makes me sad for him. He was having a blast. I feel so bad that he's hurt and can't play for his country.

Just hope he can recover and come back for us, soon - love the guy and he makes such a huge difference for the Wings.

Feel better, Hank. :wub:

Well, to be fair, the best thing for his back and his long-term health and our playoff/Cup chances would probably be a two-week vacation, not flying over to Russia and battling for Olympic Gold for two weeks against stacked Canadian, American, and Russian all-star teams. Not that I'm really complaining, but I can totally understand how him aggravating his already touchy condition in Sochi would rub people the wrong way.

This is kind of what I'm talking about:

Henrik Zetterberg’s absence from Sweden’s team photo session didn’t go unnoticed this morning. Turns out he was receiving treatment for a herniated disc in his back and could miss some time in Sochi. Tough for the Swedes, but even worse for the Red Wings. They have to be thrilled that both Zetterberg and Pavel Datsyuk are battling through obvious injuries to play in the Olympics instead of resting up for the stretch drive with Detroit.

SI.com

Absolutely. He probably also feels that the C on his chest makes him beholden to Be Like Stevie, re: playing through stuff that would render mortal men fully incapacitated.

Z is an absolute beast. He's the most intensely battle hardened leader in the NHL since Stevie Y in the sense of playing through injuries and somehow still taking his game to the next level when called upon. He's been nothing short of inspiring this season. I guarantee that he plays most, if not all the games in this tournament and then comes back to the Wings and misses likely 3-4 games the rest of the season prior to giving the Wings team a manly thrust into the playoffs.

If you don't think that playing hockey has an affect on his back, I will assume you've never strapped on a pair of skates.

I didn't say that playing hockey doesn't affect his back. My point was that playing OLYMPIC hockey didn't hurt his back any worse the the NHL already does. His back has been hurt all year. If there were no Olympics he's just be playing with a hurt back in the NHL. The Olympics had nothing to do with it, so those suggesting that he'd somehow be healthy if not for the Olympics are missing the mark.

I thought that was pretty clear from my original post.

I was gonna mention this. It's probably not crazy to assume he's never truly at 100%. Which is pretty amazing when you consider how good he is.

Actually he'd be in Mexico babysitting, since there is no nhl right now :)

If there NHL players aren't allowed to play in the Olympics he wouldn't be getting a break. He'd be playing every other night in the NHL, which is even more physical than the Olympics is. So, it seems like what everyone really wants is for NHL players to participate in the Olympics, but not Red Wings players. That way every four years our guys get a vacation. Seems a little unrealistic to me.

If there NHL players aren't allowed to play in the Olympics he wouldn't be getting a break. He'd be playing every other night in the NHL, which is even more physical than the Olympics is. So, it seems like what everyone really wants is for NHL players to participate in the Olympics, but not Red Wings players. That way every four years our guys get a vacation. Seems a little unrealistic to me.

my point is, if he opted not to play in the olympics THIS year, he would have been able to get some much needed/desered rest for a couple weeks, before the nhl resumed playing games

my point is, if he opted not to play in the olympics THIS year, he would have been able to get some much needed/desered rest for a couple weeks, before the nhl resumed playing games

Yeah I also wish Z was a terrible captain with a complete lack of heart who is willing to let down his country, family and friends because he wants some extra rest.

He'll be fine. Did people freak out in 2002 too?

I understand your point, but he'd just been asked to captain his nation's Olympic team and he has been playing games in the NHL prior to the break. Why would he say no? Zetterberg and Datsyuk are totally different situations. Datsyuk is a guy who was clearly hurt and rushed back to play in the Olympics. Zetterberg was healthy and playing in Detroit, then came to Sochi and re-aggravated and existing injury. It's silly to think that a healthy Zetterberg should have sat out just because there was a chance his back could be aggravated. It's NOT silly to think that a clearly injured Datsyuk should have sat out of the Olympics rather than risk further injury.

Trying to create general conclusions from two very different cases is problematic in this instance. In one case, the decision to play was the right one, and in the other it wasn't.

Just got the notification ruling him out of the rest of the tournament. Must be a major bummer for him. I don't blame him or anyone for going at all as I love the Olympics and have no problem with NHL players, especially the Wings players, participating. That said though, I hope he's dropping out because he has a long term commitment to the Wings and doesn't want to chance it as opposed to it being more serious. It sounds a big ominous to me given the tonal change between earlier when the injury was initially announced and now. As much as I love and respect the Olympics, given his history of problems and his NHL contract, he should definitely not be pushing through the pain and risk it becoming a more serious injury to play in the Olympics.

Ugh...

Every time his back flares up though I get more and more worried about his long term effectiveness. He'll be a great leader as long as he plays no doubt, but this is the kind of injury that's hard to iron out and it's likely to either greatly inhibit and/or shorten a career as time goes on.

some Swedish doctor said hi whole nhl season could be in danger cause its worse than before

Yeah it's the same as in December but worse, and he doesn't want to carry on like he has the last month. So if surgery is the only way to make it right he'll do it. And that could leave him out 2 months.

some Swedish doctor said hi whole nhl season could be in danger cause its worse than before

Well, let's hope this is a terrible rumor and bad reporting and a bad translation. That's really the last thing this team needs. And if it's that serious, like I said above, you really have to start becoming more concerned about how effective he'll be able to be long term. Back issues never just go away fully.

Well, let's hope this is a terrible rumor and bad reporting and a bad translation. That's really the last thing this team needs. And if it's that serious, like I said above, you really have to start becoming more concerned about how effective he'll be able to be long term. Back issues never just go away fully.

Z himself is saying he could opt for surgery instead of the same treatment he had in December. And then his season is of course in danger.

source: http://www.expressen.se/sport/os/zetterberg-det-gar-inte-att-halla-pa-sa-har/

Edited by dat's sick