• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
LAWings

Zetterberg out with herniated disc

Rate this topic

Z with a back injury......never saw that coming. Cant wait to see everyone blaming the Olympics if he misses extended time. What they fail to realize is Z would have suffered the same injury eventually with the more physical NHL . The guys back is simply shot. Weve known this for a couple years now.

Yeah, just read that. Not good at all. I still think Wings will make the run needed for the playoffs with or without Zetterberg so long as Datsyuk keeps playing, but again, every new back flare up Zetterberg deals with terrifies me a little bit more than the last one, and if this is bad enough that he'll need surgery...it's a depressing night.

Z himself is saying he could opt for surgery instead of the same treatment he had in December. And then his season is of course in danger.

source: http://www.expressen.se/sport/os/zetterberg-det-gar-inte-att-halla-pa-sa-har/

Just Google translated that...with the quotes from Z its pretty conclusive :( BBC commentator in the Czech game just reported that Z was out for the tournament too..

Sucks for Z, but we all know he's been playing with his bad back the last month anyway, so it was only a matter of time.

suffering from a herniated disc since 20 years, i know this too well

yes i had surgery but was told by the doctors afterwards all of the things i can't do anymore and those i have to be careful about

i hate to say it, this is not going to get better for Z. It will get worse. Brace yourself Wings fans

Zetterberg and Datsyuk are totally different situations. Datsyuk is a guy who was clearly hurt and rushed back to play in the Olympics. Zetterberg was healthy and playing in Detroit, then came to Sochi and re-aggravated and existing injury.

I think that may be stretching it a bit, Kip.

Z with a back injury......never saw that coming. Cant wait to see everyone blaming the Olympics if he misses extended time. What they fail to realize is Z would have suffered the same injury eventually with the more physical NHL .

Dudes. I'm not mad at Z, and I don't think he should've stayed home. But I'm not sure why it's so hard to understand that staying home and resting probably would've been the best thing for his health and our season. Choosing to play for Olympic Gold was playing with fire, health-wise. The flights to and back from Sochi alone could be enough to aggravate even a less touchy/serious back problem.

Z's got a bad back. It's been giving him hell this season. He's played through it because he's pretty much had to. The Olympics presented an opportunity for much-needed rest without hurting the Wings' lineup (see: Henrik Sedin). So, again, people getting sore (pun?) over this...I can understand their frustration. I don't think they should be calling for Z to be fired or whatever, and I don't think his character or commitment should be questioned. But I think it's fair to feel his decision to push his back in Sochi was regrettable, with a negative outcome being almost inevitable (again, he's clearly been playing injured for the Wings. I doubt he's been truly comfortable since the major flare-up that sidelined him earlier this season.)

Edited by Dabura

my point is, if he opted not to play in the olympics THIS year, he would have been able to get some much needed/desered rest for a couple weeks, before the nhl resumed playing games

Z is a true warrior, has national pride and so he played through it. I don't care that much about the NHL season, he had the chance to captain his country at the olympics that's a once in a lifetime moment for players.

If I had to take something away from the Z or Pasha situation, it would be this: I have even more respect for them now, they are putting their teammates, countries over themselves and basically are playing through everything. We are so lucky, to have these two guys and I'm incredible proud to have such great player in a winged wheel.

There are more important things in life than hanging on to a very impressive playoff streak. If I had to choose between both of them captaining their respective teams OR making the playoffs I'd go with the first choice because they've given so much to this franchise, time to give them something back.

Also I don't care what the doctors are seeing both are superb trained athletes we are going to see them again in the olympics book it :)

Guest Playmaker

Z is a true warrior, has national pride and so he played through it. I don't care that much about the NHL season, he had the chance to captain his country at the olympics that's a once in a lifetime moment for players.

If I had to take something away from the Z or Pasha situation, it would be this: I have even more respect for them now, they are putting their teammates, countries over themselves and basically are playing through everything. We are so lucky, to have these two guys and I'm incredible proud to have such great player in a winged wheel.

There are more important things in life than hanging on to a very impressive playoff streak. If I had to choose between both of them captaining their respective teams OR making the playoffs I'd go with the first choice because they've given so much to this franchise, time to give them something back.

Also I don't care what the doctors are seeing both are superb trained athletes we are going to see them again in the olympics book it :)

Then why are you here? I DO care about the NHL season and the Red Wings. I don't give a flying f*** about the Olympics. I want the players who are being paid to play here to have their loyalties to the Red Wings. "We" don't owe them anything. Zetterberg has the life and career he has because of the Red Wings, not because of Team Sweden. Let's hope this puts an end to this ridiculous Olympics BS once and for all.

The big worry, Wings-wise, is that Franzen is out indefinitely, Datsyuk is playing hurt (wouldn't be playing if it weren't Sochi), and Zetterberg - who we knew was already playing hurt - is now seemingly out indefinitely. That's rough.

Right, and all three are likely missing time directly due to the Olympics. All 3 played hurt when they shouldn't have, to try and be ready for Sochi.

The big worry, Wings-wise, is that Franzen is out indefinitely, Datsyuk is playing hurt (wouldn't be playing if it weren't Sochi), and Zetterberg - who we knew was already playing hurt - is now seemingly out indefinitely. That's rough.

Stephen Weiss will make or break this team's playoff chances. We're going to be without Z a while, hopefully Pav can play but Weiss has to be good.

Then why are you here? I DO care about the NHL season and the Red Wings. I don't give a flying f*** about the Olympics. I want the players who are being paid to play here to have their loyalties to the Red Wings. "We" don't owe them anything. Zetterberg has the life and career he has because of the Red Wings, not because of Team Sweden. Let's hope this puts an end to this ridiculous Olympics BS once and for all.

Right, and all three are likely missing time directly due to the Olympics. All 3 played hurt when they shouldn't have, to try and be ready for Sochi.

I think Johan played in order to try and give z some rest, not for the Olympics

If Franzen, Datsyuk and Zetterberg are out for even half the remaining NHL games, I begin to doubt our ability to make playoffs... We may put together a decent underdog streak, but you just don't win with your top three scorers out.

If Franzen, Datsyuk and Zetterberg are out for even half the remaining NHL games, I begin to doubt our ability to make playoffs... We may put together a decent underdog streak, but you just don't win with your top three scorers out.

Agreed. I think that would be it. But, lets not get ahead of ourselves just yet...

Simply not true. Franzen was concussed before the Olympics, and would still be out concussed in an NHL only no-Olympics season. He didn't suffer another concussion when he came back for 1 game, he simply wasn't recovered from his initial concussion (only 3 days symptom free when the protocol is meant to be minimum 7). He didn't rush back for the Olympics, he rushed back because we had no centers.

Datsyuk was injured before the Olympics and would still be injured without the Olympics. He may be guilty of delaying surgery so as not to miss Sochi, but we won't know that for another 2 weeks.

Zetterberg has been plagued with his bad back for 3 months now. He hasn't practised in forever. He's clearly been playing through the pain for Detroit. He had it before the Olympics, and he would have had it without an Olympics. MANY on here have speculated that it was only a matter of time before his back went again. Unlucky for us it went after the Czech game.

Guest Playmaker

Simply not true. Franzen was concussed before the Olympics, and would still be out concussed in an NHL only no-Olympics season. He didn't suffer another concussion when he came back for 1 game, he simply wasn't recovered from his initial concussion (only 3 days symptom free when the protocol is meant to be minimum 7). He didn't rush back for the Olympics, he rushed back because we had no centers.

Datsyuk was injured before the Olympics and would still be injured without the Olympics. He may be guilty of delaying surgery so as not to miss Sochi, but we won't know that for another 2 weeks.

Zetterberg has been plagued with his bad back for 3 months now. He hasn't practised in forever. He's clearly been playing through the pain for Detroit. He had it before the Olympics, and he would have had it without an Olympics. MANY on here have speculated that it was only a matter of time before his back went again. Unlucky for us it went after the Czech game.

All speculation on your part as well. Nothing factual to back it up. Datsyuk would not be playing with the Red Wings right now. He's still be out with the injury. It was clear to anyone who saw him play that he's not even close to being recovered. He would still be sitting out if the season was ongoing, as well he should be. Same with Zetterberg. They were playing so they could go to the Olympics, not to help the Red Wings.

Guest L3T5G0W1NG5

I know folks have mentioned it, but here's the official NHL link ruling him out for the tourney.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=705013

Wooooooooo.

Z will slowly have to gain back my respect since he dared to try to play in the Olympics - it could have jeopardized his playing time with the Red Wings.

Wooooooooo.

Z will slowly have to gain back my respect since he dared to try to play in the Olympics - it could have jeopardized his playing time with the Red Wings.

I'm sure that other than his health and trying to carry Detroit into the playoffs, this is his biggest worry: gaining back your respect.

Spoken like someone whos never gotten the shot to represent there country in something. To most athletes (especially those from Europe) representing ones country is the highest honor. Yes even more so than the Stanley Cup. Hank owes nothing to the Red Wings or Red Wings fans. He has the life he has because he worked his ass off not because the Wings gifted him a paycheck. He helped bring a Championship and almost a second to this city when the team was supposed to be in transition. If anything the fans owe him for the joy hes brought them. He's earned the right to put Sweden over the Wings. I dont know what fantasy land your in but the Wings are not contenders this year. Sweden on the other hand was a contender for a Gold Medal. Common sense dictates which one he should go for at the end of a career. Challenging his loyalties because he went and played in the Olympics is just disrespectful for a guy whose battled for over 10 years for the Wings and its fans. Get over yourself.

Yes because carrying this team on his injured back the past couple months is not worth your respect.

Edited by GoalieManPat

I feel terrible for Z. You know the pain is severe if he isn't out there playing.

If Z does end up having surgery, I can't see the playoff streak continuing. Pav is obviously still hurt, Franzen hasn't skated and Weiss is just coming back. Z has been the MVP and heart and soul of this team through all of the injuries this season, including playing through one of his own.