• Please log in to reply
228 replies to this topic

#41 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 10:56 PM

If there NHL players aren't allowed to play in the Olympics he wouldn't be getting a break.  He'd be playing every other night in the NHL, which is even more physical than the Olympics is.  So, it seems like what everyone really wants is for NHL players to participate in the Olympics, but not Red Wings players.  That way every four years our guys get a vacation.  Seems a little unrealistic to me. 

my point is, if he opted not to play in the olympics THIS year, he would have been able to get some much needed/desered rest for a couple weeks, before the nhl resumed playing games

#42 dat's sick

dat's sick

Fear can hold you prisoner, hope can set you free

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,348 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 12:08 AM

my point is, if he opted not to play in the olympics THIS year, he would have been able to get some much needed/desered rest for a couple weeks, before the nhl resumed playing games

Yeah I also wish Z was a terrible captain with a complete lack of heart who is willing to let down his country, family and friends because he wants some extra rest.

He'll be fine. Did people freak out in 2002 too?

#43 kipwinger

kipwinger

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,004 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 12:10 AM

I understand your point, but he'd just been asked to captain his nation's Olympic team and he has been playing games in the NHL prior to the break.  Why would he say no?  Zetterberg and Datsyuk are totally different situations.  Datsyuk is a guy who was clearly hurt and rushed back to play in the Olympics.  Zetterberg was healthy and playing in Detroit, then came to Sochi and re-aggravated and existing injury.  It's silly to think that a healthy Zetterberg should have sat out just because there was a chance his back could be aggravated.  It's NOT silly to think that a clearly injured Datsyuk should have sat out of the Olympics rather than risk further injury. 

Trying to create general conclusions from two very different cases is problematic in this instance.  In one case, the decision to play was the right one, and in the other it wasn't. 

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#44 dat's sick

dat's sick

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,348 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 02:24 AM

Appears it might a little worse than day-to-day. Z was just ruled out of the rest of the tournament and isn't even able to fly back to Detroit due to his back pain.

Get well Z.

#45 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,785 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 02:31 AM

Good thing this sort of injury seems to happen to a douchey punk like Henrik Zetterberg and not an upstanding classy player like Patrick Kane. 

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#46 trule23

trule23

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 59 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 02:53 AM

some Swedish doctor said hi whole nhl season could be in danger cause its worse than before

#47 gcom007

gcom007

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,149 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 02:53 AM

Just got the notification ruling him out of the rest of the tournament. Must be a major bummer for him. I don't blame him or anyone for going at all as I love the Olympics and have no problem with NHL players, especially the Wings players, participating. That said though, I hope he's dropping out because he has a long term commitment to the Wings and doesn't want to chance it as opposed to it being more serious. It sounds a big ominous to me given the tonal change between earlier when the injury was initially announced and now. As much as I love and respect the Olympics, given his history of problems and his NHL contract, he should definitely not be pushing through the pain and risk it becoming a more serious injury to play in the Olympics.

Ugh...

Every time his back flares up though I get more and more worried about his long term effectiveness. He'll be a great leader as long as he plays no doubt, but this is the kind of injury that's hard to iron out and it's likely to either greatly inhibit and/or shorten a career as time goes on.
-Elliot...does not panic.

#48 dat's sick

dat's sick

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,348 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 02:55 AM

some Swedish doctor said hi whole nhl season could be in danger cause its worse than before

Yeah it's the same as in December but worse, and he doesn't want to carry on like he has the last month. So if surgery is the only way to make it right he'll do it. And that could leave him out 2 months.

#49 gcom007

gcom007

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,149 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 02:58 AM

Well, let's hope this is a terrible rumor and bad reporting and a bad translation. That's really the last thing this team needs. And if it's that serious, like I said above, you really have to start becoming more concerned about how effective he'll be able to be long term. Back issues never just go away fully.

#50 dat's sick

dat's sick

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,348 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 03:02 AM

Well, let's hope this is a terrible rumor and bad reporting and a bad translation. That's really the last thing this team needs. And if it's that serious, like I said above, you really have to start becoming more concerned about how effective he'll be able to be long term. Back issues never just go away fully.

Z himself is saying he could opt for surgery instead of the same treatment he had in December. And then his season is of course in danger.

source: http://www.expressen...alla-pa-sa-har/

Edited by dat's sick, 14 February 2014 - 03:03 AM.

#51 GoalieManPat

GoalieManPat

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,373 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 03:07 AM

Z with a back injury......never saw that coming. Cant wait to see everyone blaming the Olympics if he misses extended time. What they fail to realize is Z would have suffered the same injury eventually with the more physical NHL . The guys back is simply shot. Weve known this for a couple years now.

#52 gcom007

gcom007

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,149 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 03:08 AM

Yeah, just read that. Not good at all. I still think Wings will make the run needed for the playoffs with or without Zetterberg so long as Datsyuk keeps playing, but again, every new back flare up Zetterberg deals with terrifies me a little bit more than the last one, and if this is bad enough that he'll need surgery...it's a depressing night.

#53 dropkickshanahans

dropkickshanahans

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,578 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 04:42 AM

s***.

#54 Cloune

Cloune

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 04:47 AM

of course and now Datsyuk, then Alfredsson

#55 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,077 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 04:50 AM

Z himself is saying he could opt for surgery instead of the same treatment he had in December. And then his season is of course in danger.

source: http://www.expressen...alla-pa-sa-har/

Just Google translated that...with the quotes from Z its pretty conclusive :(  BBC commentator in the Czech game just reported that Z was out for the tournament too..

Sucks for Z, but we all know he's been playing with his bad back the last month anyway, so it was only a matter of time.

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#56 Spongewingredpants

Spongewingredpants

Pragmatic Optimist

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,584 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 04:59 AM

suffering from a herniated disc since 20 years, i know this too well

yes i had surgery but was told by the doctors afterwards all of the things i can't do anymore and those i have to be careful about

i hate to say it, this is not going to get better for Z. It will get worse. Brace yourself Wings fans

My wish: A healthy roster

#57 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,095 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 06:10 AM

Zetterberg and Datsyuk are totally different situations.  Datsyuk is a guy who was clearly hurt and rushed back to play in the Olympics.  Zetterberg was healthy and playing in Detroit, then came to Sochi and re-aggravated and existing injury.

I think that may be stretching it a bit, Kip.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#58 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,095 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 06:23 AM

Z with a back injury......never saw that coming. Cant wait to see everyone blaming the Olympics if he misses extended time. What they fail to realize is Z would have suffered the same injury eventually with the more physical NHL .

Dudes. I'm not mad at Z, and I don't think he should've stayed home. But I'm not sure why it's so hard to understand that staying home and resting probably would've been the best thing for his health and our season. Choosing to play for Olympic Gold was playing with fire, health-wise. The flights to and back from Sochi alone could be enough to aggravate even a less touchy/serious back problem.

Z's got a bad back. It's been giving him hell this season. He's played through it because he's pretty much had to. The Olympics presented an opportunity for much-needed rest without hurting the Wings' lineup (see: Henrik Sedin). So, again, people getting sore (pun?) over this...I can understand their frustration. I don't think they should be calling for Z to be fired or whatever, and I don't think his character or commitment should be questioned. But I think it's fair to feel his decision to push his back in Sochi was regrettable, with a negative outcome being almost inevitable (again, he's clearly been playing injured for the Wings. I doubt he's been truly comfortable since the major flare-up that sidelined him earlier this season.)

Edited by Dabura, 14 February 2014 - 06:26 AM.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#59 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,199 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 06:24 AM

Z is a true warrior, has national pride and so he played through it. I don't care that much about the NHL season, he had the chance to captain his country at the olympics that's a once in a lifetime moment for players.

If I had to take something away from the Z or Pasha situation, it would be this: I have even more respect for them now, they are putting their teammates, countries over themselves and basically are playing through everything. We are so lucky, to have these two guys and I'm incredible proud to have such great player in a winged wheel.

There are more important things in life than hanging on to a very impressive playoff streak. If I had to choose between both of them captaining their respective teams OR making the playoffs I'd go with the first choice because they've given so much to this franchise, time to give them something back.

Also I don't care what the doctors are seeing both are superb trained athletes we are going to see them again in the olympics book it :)

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#60 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,095 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 06:36 AM

The big worry, Wings-wise, is that Franzen is out indefinitely, Datsyuk is playing hurt (wouldn't be playing if it weren't Sochi), and Zetterberg - who we knew was already playing hurt - is now seemingly out indefinitely. That's rough.

Don't Toews me, bro!