• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
LAWings

Zetterberg out with herniated disc

Rate this topic

I don't know about you guys but I'm already done with this season. I'll watch as many games as I can but we aren't going anywhere this year. Zetterberg may need surgery, Datsyuk isn't 100% and Franzen could be done as well. Time to look forward to next season already.

I don't know about you guys but I'm already done with this season. I'll watch as many games as I can but we aren't going anywhere this year. Zetterberg may need surgery, Datsyuk isn't 100% and Franzen could be done as well. Time to look forward to next season already.

In for a penny in for a pound. I'll be done with this season when lockers are being cleaned out.

I feel terrible for Z. You know the pain is severe if he isn't out there playing.

If Z does end up having surgery, I can't see the playoff streak continuing. Pav is obviously still hurt, Franzen hasn't skated and Weiss is just coming back. Z has been the MVP and heart and soul of this team through all of the injuries this season, including playing through one of his own.

Ever the optimist, while I see that Z has literally picked this team up and onto his back and carried them as far as he could take us pre-Olympics, I still think we've got a shot.

The good I can see coming out of this would be the fact that we get the kids to stay up for longer and continue their great play. If Weiss can come back and actually be the player the Wings thought they were getting when we signed him, then that will surely help, and if Pavel can get healthy, with Jimmy looking like he's found his game, I still wouldn't count us out, even without Z. I know you're all probably going to trash me for this, but until we either make the playoffs or are officially eliminated, I'm not going to give up hope.

Maybe KH will make a deal to get us some offensive help? Maybe he'll acquire Edler. Who knows. Either way, I have no qualms about Z playing in the Olympics. Like others have said, his back would have gone out anyway Olympics or not. He had to opportunity to Captain his team to a Gold medal they had a great shot at, so I don't blame him. (aside: Sweden didn't look the same today against the Swiss without him).

In for a penny in for a pound. I'll be done with this season when lockers are being cleaned out.

I'm just saying that I'm lowering my expectations. With the team 100% healthy and going I thought they could have put together a good playoff push. It's not going to happen now.

Bunch of Susans in here. If Z got hurt in game 1 of the Olympics, you can bet your ass he would have gotten hurt in the next Wings' game. It's not like it was a specific incident, we are all aware of his back woes.

Pavs is another story, but I'm not even going to judge him right now. He's a grown ass man and can make his own decisions where he wants to play.

I know it's a close race, but it sounds like most of you forgot if the playoffs started today, we'd be in. And I consider our season success so far less than stellar. The kids are here to stay and we finally have executive buy-in on that. Expect a push post-Olympics.

Guest Playmaker

Spoken like someone whos never gotten the shot to represent there country in something. To most athletes (especially those from Europe) representing ones country is the highest honor. Yes even more so than the Stanley Cup. Hank owes nothing to the Red Wings or Red Wings fans. He has the life he has because he worked his ass off not because the Wings gifted him a paycheck. He helped bring a Championship and almost a second to this city when the team was supposed to be in transition. If anything the fans owe him for the joy hes brought them. He's earned the right to put Sweden over the Wings. I dont know what fantasy land your in but the Wings are not contenders this year. Sweden on the other hand was a contender for a Gold Medal. Common sense dictates which one he should go for at the end of a career. Challenging his loyalties because he went and played in the Olympics is just disrespectful for a guy whose battled for over 10 years for the Wings and its fans. Get over yourself.

Yes because carrying this team on his injured back the past couple months is not worth your respect.

Well, you'd be wrong. But in any case, Henrik Zetterberg has what he has and is the star he is because he is a Detroit Red Wing in the National Hockey League in North America. He has earned no right to do anything. His contract is with the Detroit Red Wings, not the Swedish National Team or the SEL. It doesn't matter if the Wings are contenders or not. That doesn't absolve him of his obligation to fulfill his contract and put the Red Wings first. He's already won a gold medal for his country, so there was no need to risk injury to do so again. It was selfish on his part and on Datsyuk's part.

Well, you'd be wrong. But in any case, Henrik Zetterberg has what he has and is the star he is because he is a Detroit Red Wing in the National Hockey League in North America. He has earned no right to do anything. His contract is with the Detroit Red Wings, not the Swedish National Team or the SEL. It doesn't matter if the Wings are contenders or not. That doesn't absolve him of his obligation to fulfill his contract and put the Red Wings first. He's already won a gold medal for his country, so there was no need to risk injury to do so again. It was selfish on his part and on Datsyuk's part.

So if you had a leisure activity that your boss didn't like, would you stop doing it? Say he told you that he didn't want you to go on a ski trip because you might get hurt. Would you say "sure boss, I'll cancel this trip I've been planning for 4 years because you don't feel comfortable with it?"

Hank owes nothing to the Red Wings or Red Wings fans. He has the life he has because he worked his ass off not because the Wings gifted him a paycheck.

He has the life he has because we pay his friggin awesome salary. He owes EVERYTHING to the fans. It's not a gift that falls from the nether world on the back of unicorn poop. It's your hard earned money that you give to them through tickets, merchandise and time spent watching the games. Time is money. I understand Olympics are important for these guys, but they don't pay his salary...we do.

He has the life he has because we pay his friggin awesome salary. He owes EVERYTHING to the fans. It's not a gift that falls from the nether world on the back of unicorn poop. It's your hard earned money that you give to them through tickets, merchandise and time spent watching the games. Time is money. I understand Olympics are important for these guys, but they don't pay his salary...we do.

I'm pretty sure Mike Ilitch pays his salary. He gets some of that money from fans, but he gets a pretty good chunk from the TV deals and all the ad revenue, too.

Spoken like someone whos never gotten the shot to represent there country in something. To most athletes (especially those from Europe) representing ones country is the highest honor. Yes even more so than the Stanley Cup. Hank owes nothing to the Red Wings or Red Wings fans. He has the life he has because he worked his ass off not because the Wings gifted him a paycheck. He helped bring a Championship and almost a second to this city when the team was supposed to be in transition. If anything the fans owe him for the joy hes brought them. He's earned the right to put Sweden over the Wings. I dont know what fantasy land your in but the Wings are not contenders this year. Sweden on the other hand was a contender for a Gold Medal. Common sense dictates which one he should go for at the end of a career. Challenging his loyalties because he went and played in the Olympics is just disrespectful for a guy whose battled for over 10 years for the Wings and its fans. Get over yourself.

Yes because carrying this team on his injured back the past couple months is not worth your respect.

My favorite all time post on these forums. I couldn't have said it better myself.

Sorry to break it to you, but Henrik Zetterberg doesn't "owe" you anything.

I think he typed it wrong. I think he meant to say "He was selfish".

I said it before, and I will say it again. Datsyuk didn't have to stay with us for another 3 years, he could have went to Russia this coming year. If you think we are f***ed now, imagine us without Datsyuk for the next 3 years. I would let him go to Russa 110/100 times to have him for another 3 years. People need to stop being greedy and act like they owe us more then what they have already done.

Z has been "risking" injury for months playing for the Red Wings. Actually more than risking, playing through an injury that happened to get worse while at the Olympics. Could have just as easily occurred in an NHL game.

take yourselves out of the selfish fan perspective and into the players'.... if I were them, I'd choose to play in the olympics.

it's once every four years.. and more often than not, once in a lifetime (hell, a bunch of lifetimes) to be captain of your country.

it's a HUGE honor for them and they don't want to let their countries down. completely understandable.

He has the life he has because he's an incredibly talented hockey player who has worked hard to get where he has. we are lucky to have him on the wings and get to watch him. I don't get the fan entitlement.

Guest Playmaker

So if you had a leisure activity that your boss didn't like, would you stop doing it? Say he told you that he didn't want you to go on a ski trip because you might get hurt. Would you say "sure boss, I'll cancel this trip I've been planning for 4 years because you don't feel comfortable with it?"

I do have leisure activities that I am unable to participate in and can be found legally negligent if I participate in them.

If 10 of my best employees said, hey, we're leaving for 3 weeks, but we expect you to still pay us, you will have to close down your business, we expect you to still pay the 10 other employees that will sit and do nothing while we go, we will all have to work extra hours because of it and it will bring your business absolutely no extra money or exposure. Oh and by the way, I'm too sick or hurt to work right now, though I'm still getting paid, but I'm more than okay to go off for 3 weeks and do my job for my pride. There's also a good chance that when I come back I'll be too hurt to work also. But you will still have to pay me. I have been a good employee for 10 years, so I don't owe you anything. But you still have to pay me. Sorry, not going to fly.

FWIW, it was partly Z's decision to drop out of the olympics...

here's a quote from team Sweden's doctor:

“He is still suffering from his back injury and it is so painful for him that he can’t be in it any more. It is Z who has taken this decision together with me,” team doctor Bjorn Waldeback said. “I think it is the cumulative load. There was no specific thing that happened in [Wednesday’s game versus the Czech Republic]. The issues came the morning after. These are nerve-related issues and they often come creeping in. It is not one specific injury.”

a couple weeks of rest might've done a little but from the sounds of it, the one game doesn't make much of a difference.. this issue was going to resurface soon either way.

edit: link = http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2014/02/14/sweden-will-miss-everything-about-zetterberg/

Edited by amato

Guest Playmaker

Z has been "risking" injury for months playing for the Red Wings. Actually more than risking, playing through an injury that happened to get worse while at the Olympics. Could have just as easily occurred in an NHL game.

Which is fine. The Red Wings are his employer. It could have occurred during an NHL game. But it didn't.

I'm pretty sure Mike Ilitch pays his salary. He gets some of that money from fans, but he gets a pretty good chunk from the TV deals and all the ad revenue, too.

TV deals and ad revenue are based on fans watching those ads on the broadcasts. He also gets a pretty good chunk from ticket sales, merchandise sales, parking fees, etc.

I do have leisure activities that I am unable to participate in and can be found legally negligent if I participate in them.

If 10 of my best employees said, hey, we're leaving for 3 weeks, but we expect you to still pay us, you will have to close down your business, we expect you to still pay the 10 other employees that will sit and do nothing while we go, we will all have to work extra hours because of it and it will bring your business absolutely no extra money or exposure. Oh and by the way, I'm too sick or hurt to work right now, though I'm still getting paid, but I'm more than okay to go off for 3 weeks and do my job for my pride. There's also a good chance that when I come back I'll be too hurt to work also. But you will still have to pay me. I have been a good employee for 10 years, so I don't owe you anything. But you still have to pay me. Sorry, not going to fly.

Except that they're not missing games to go play and the other players aren't doing any extra work.

Which is fine. The Red Wings are his employer. It could have occurred during an NHL game. But it didn't.

TV deals and ad revenue are based on fans watching those ads on the broadcasts. He also gets a pretty good chunk from ticket sales, merchandise sales, parking fees, etc.

Which doesn't come out of your pocket at all.

Guest Playmaker

Except that they're not missing games to go play and the other players aren't doing any extra work.

Which doesn't come out of your pocket at all.

Everyone has to play a condensed schedule and then play later into the summer because of it. They are doing extra work. If the Wings do not have Zetterberg, Datsyuk, etc and do not make the playoffs as a result, the Red Wings will lose a million dollars profit per playoff game. If you don't think that has an effect on fans or costs, you're not living in reality.

So if all these players have such staunch national pride, you'd be okay with them missing the playoffs to go play in the World Championships? Oh, wait, all of the sudden, they don't have national pride. They only have national pride when it gets them more attention.

Everyone has to play a condensed schedule and then play later into the summer because of it. They are doing extra work. If the Wings do not have Zetterberg, Datsyuk, etc and do not make the playoffs as a result, the Red Wings will lose a million dollars profit per playoff game. If you don't think that has an effect on fans or costs, you're not living in reality.

So if all these players have such staunch national pride, you'd be okay with them missing the playoffs to go play in the World Championships? Oh, wait, all of the sudden, they don't have national pride. They only have national pride when it gets them more attention.

They're not missing games to play in the Olympics. They're not getting any more money this season than any other season. The owners still get revenue from 41 home games and a full TV schedule, so they're not losing money. This year, the Wings play their last game April 13th. 2 years ago it was April 7th, the year before that it was April 10th. The 08-09 season ended April 12th. They're not extending the season more than a few days from what it ended the last 3 full non Olympic years.