• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
LAWings

Zetterberg out with herniated disc

Rate this topic

Guest Playmaker

Did you see the part about condensed schedule? They are playing more games with less rest, which could be contributing to the injuries. Zetterberg will definitely be missing games.

Did you see the part about condensed schedule? They are playing more games with less rest, which could be contributing to the injuries. Zetterberg will definitely be missing games.

He'd be missing games if it was the Olympics or not. Now he has 2 weeks to get rest or rehab. So do Franzen and Weiss.

It truly amazes me how idiotic some people are acting about the players participating in the Olympics. First the Pav thing, now this.

Hank's back has been injured for a couple years now, its been an ongoing thing. Anyone who follows the Wings knows this. If he hadn't tweaked it in the Olympic game, he would have tweaked it in the next Wings game.

Listening to the radio today... They said Zetterbergs back pain is 20 times worse than it was in the past. He can't even move and hasn't come back to Detroit yet bc the pain is too bad to travel. He likely needs back surgery and could be done for the season.

Datsyuk still not 100% yet, but still playing.

It truly amazes me how idiotic some people are acting about the players participating in the Olympics. First the Pav thing, now this.

Hank's back has been injured for a couple years now, its been an ongoing thing. Anyone who follows the Wings knows this. If he hadn't tweaked it in the Olympic game, he would have tweaked it in the next Wings game.

It used to. Not anymore. lol I just assume a lot of the people making fools of themselves are kids.

Then they start talking about "their" employees and I cringe. lol

Anyways...I'll wait to hear official word from Detroit doctors before I make assumptions and conclusions and never will I "write off" this season.

I do have leisure activities that I am unable to participate in and can be found legally negligent if I participate in them.

If 10 of my best employees said, hey, we're leaving for 3 weeks, but we expect you to still pay us, you will have to close down your business, we expect you to still pay the 10 other employees that will sit and do nothing while we go, we will all have to work extra hours because of it and it will bring your business absolutely no extra money or exposure. Oh and by the way, I'm too sick or hurt to work right now, though I'm still getting paid, but I'm more than okay to go off for 3 weeks and do my job for my pride. There's also a good chance that when I come back I'll be too hurt to work also. But you will still have to pay me. I have been a good employee for 10 years, so I don't owe you anything. But you still have to pay me. Sorry, not going to fly.

Boy, one has to try hard to be wrong on every single point one made.

1. Players get paid X dollars per year, to be available to play 82 games + playoffs. They are, with or without the Olympics So "your 10 best employees"

are NOT paid by the Wings while they play in the Olympics.

2. Their NHL salaries are INSURED for injury by their national hockey federations. So the Wings are NOT on the hook for Zetterberg's salary from now until he comes back from injury.

3. The Olympic break is 9 days longer than the normal All-Star break. Just 9 days over a 160 days season.

So your analogy does not fly. Sorry.

Edited by sibiriak

Listening to the radio today... They said Zetterbergs back pain is 20 times worse than it was in the past. He can't even move and hasn't come back to Detroit yet bc the pain is too bad to travel. He likely needs back surgery and could be done for the season.

Datsyuk still not 100% yet, but still playing.

If he has to have surgery, he might as well call it a career. Once it gets to that point, there's no coming back and even if you try, you're never the same.

For whatever reason, they don't seem to be too common in the NHL but in football they happen all the time and most that get to Z's stage end up retiring.

Sorry guys, we're going to be looking at Captain Kronwall soon.

Guest Playmaker

Boy, one has to try hard to be wrong on every single point one made.

1. Players get paid X dollars per year, to be available to play 82 games + playoffs. They are, with or without the Olympics So "your 10 best employees"

are NOT paid by the Wings while they play in the Olympics.

2. Their NHL salaries are INSURED for injury by their national hockey federations. So the Wings are NOT on the hook for Zetterberg's salary from now until he comes back from injury.

3. The Olympic break is 9 days longer than the normal All-Star break. Just 9 days over a 160 days season.

So your analogy does not fly. Sorry.

LOL, if you're going to correct someone for being wrong, at least be right.

The NHL players are insured during the Olympics by the IOC. Will they pay when the player was already injured. It'll be interesting to see.

A normal All Star Break is 4 days, five or six at most. The Olympic Break is 17 days. In US Math, 9+4 or 5 or 6 doesn't equal 17. Not sure about the math where you're from.

Like no one knew this was going to happen. Just waiting for the other shoe(dats) to drop.

Olympics needs to go back to amatuer status. 20 yr old age limit. But thats another thread.

Bulls***. Management should have made them all take the time off.

If he hadn't tweaked it in the Olympic game, he would have tweaked it in the next Wings game.

Again I ask: Why are we acting like there's no two-week vacation option? Is it inconceivabe that taking a two-week vacation might've done Z's back some real good, or at the very least been infinitely kinder and easier on it than...playing in the Olympics? Why is it "Destroy back in Olympics or destroy back in the same way when the NHL resumes?" There are steps players can take to combat and minimize injury woes and risks. We're acting like the very concept of "maintenance days" is stupid because "Well, he's gonna get hurt anyway. Why bother resting up?"

I think had he not been named captain of the Swedish team, there's a reasonable chance he might not have gone. Same with Datsyuk. So, what I'm saying is, being captain sucks.

Its appropriate to mention that a lot of his pain is probably due to the fact that per IIHF rules he cant use cortison shots, which i'm assuming he was using to stem the pain and function these past couple weeks.

Yep, this is definitely worth considering. (Not sarcasm.)

Again I ask: Why are we acting like there's no two-week vacation option? Is it inconceivabe that taking a two-week vacation might've done Z's back some real good, or at the very least been infinitely kinder and easier on it than...playing in the Olympics? Why is it "Destroy back in Olympics or destroy back in the same way when the NHL resumes?" There are steps players can take to combat and minimize injury woes and risks. We're acting like the very concept of "maintenance days" is stupid because "Well, he's gonna get hurt anyway. Why bother resting up?"

I think had he not been named captain of the Swedish team, there's a reasonable chance he might not have gone. Same with Datsyuk. So, what I'm saying is, being captain sucks.

I think people are assuming this because he has months off after each season and ends up with back issues 30 games into the season. Sitting out 2 weeks wasn't going to do anything for him. He might have been able to play for another couple of games without issue, but there is no telling.

Guest Playmaker

I think people are assuming this because he has months off after each season and ends up with back issues 30 games into the season. Sitting out 2 weeks wasn't going to do anything for him. He might have been able to play for another couple of games without issue, but there is no telling.

Resting a herniated disc is never worse than playing with it. Would it have cured him? Of course not, but it absolutely would not have made things worse. Playing would and it did. The travel could have had an impact also. Nothing worse for a bad back than a long plane ride where you can't move around.

LOL, if you're going to correct someone for being wrong, at least be right.

The NHL players are insured during the Olympics by the IOC. Will they pay when the player was already injured. It'll be interesting to see.

A normal All Star Break is 4 days, five or six at most. The Olympic Break is 17 days. In US Math, 9+4 or 5 or 6 doesn't equal 17. Not sure about the math where you're from.

Well, let's see.

1. IOC does not insure anybody. The national hockey federations (like USA Hockey) do. They have done so in the past and there's no reason to doubt that they will pay if liable. The contracts are insured with he same pool of insurance companies that the NHL uses, so I don't see why it would make any difference to those insurance companies, whether they pay the same amount of money to the Red Wings on the policy taken by the Wings themselves, or by the Swedish Hockey Federation.

2. I don't know about "US Math" but in normal math, here's how it works:

The last 2 All-Star breaks were 5 days each.

The Olympic break this year consists of: Feb. 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24. That's 16 days by my count (not 17). So the difference is 16 - 5 = 11 days. OK it's 11 days and not 9 days over almost 200 days season (Pre-season NHL games started Sept. 14, Playoffs will go till about the end of May). Such a biiig difference.

Resting a herniated disc is never worse than playing with it. Would it have cured him? Of course not, but it absolutely would not have made things worse. Playing would and it did. The travel could have had an impact also. Nothing worse for a bad back than a long plane ride where you can't move around.

Agreed.

You have a bad back. It's screaming bloody murder for some rest and relaxation. You've been putting it through hell because you're the effing captain of the Detroit Red Wings. But now the NHL's going on a two-week vacation. So, you can give your back some much-needed rest and relaxation...or you can fly over to Russia and play in the Olympics. Like, I get wanting/needing to play in the Olympics. I'm not faulting Z for that at all. He pretty much had an obligation to go and represent and lead and push himself as hard as humanly possible. What I honestly don't get is how so many intelligent people can not see how two weeks of rest might be better for Z's back than playing in the Olympics, in Russia. "Yeah, well, he was just gonna get hurt anyway" doesn't strike me as a terribly strong counterargument, because, again, why even take maintenance days?

It makes sense,but my mother had the same problems as Z and sometimes just making a simple "wrong" move while lying in a freaking bad made things much worse.

Again I ask: Why would a guy who's been playing very well night in and night out in Detroit, take a "two week vacation" rather than captain his country's Olympic team? Just because he might re-aggravate an injury which hadn't seemed to be bothering him the last ten games he played before the break?

Nobody was suggesting that Zetterberg was "walking wounded" for the last two weeks while his highlight reel play was making Nyquist look like a superstar. Now all of a sudden it's, "He's been playing injured for weeks and he should have known better". Fact is, he was feeling better and playing well in Detroit, so he came to the Olympics (like anyone would) and re-aggravated a pre-existing condition. Simple as that.

Guest Playmaker

Well, let's see.

1. IOC does not insure anybody. The national hockey federations (like USA Hockey) do. They have done so in the past and there's no reason to doubt that they will pay if liable. The contracts are insured with he same pool of insurance companies that the NHL uses, so I don't see why it would make any difference to those insurance companies, whether they pay the same amount of money to the Red Wings on the policy taken by the Wings themselves, or by the Swedish Hockey Federation.

2. I don't know about "US Math" but in normal math, here's how it works:

The last 2 All-Star breaks were 5 days each.

The Olympic break this year consists of: Feb. 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24. That's 16 days by my count (not 17). So the difference is 16 - 5 = 11 days. OK it's 11 days and not 9 days over almost 200 days season (Pre-season NHL games started Sept. 14, Playoffs will go till about the end of May). Such a biiig difference.

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2013/06/23/report-ioc-agrees-to-cover-nhl-player-insurance-costs/

Like I said, if you are going to call someone out for being wrong, at least be right.

Oh, so if you're close, you're not wrong? 9 days, 11 days, 16 days, who knows? So you're wrong, but you're right? The Red Wings break is through the 25th which is 17 days. Math is not your strong point.

I messed up something in my back right before New Years and could hardly walk for a week and a half, and I surely didn't have massive NHL'ers cross checking the s*** out of my back for half a hockey season, so I can't even begin to imagine how Z feels. All I can do is say to him, get better my Captain! :ok:

Ummm for those that watch the games, yes Micky has been talking about Z not being 100% and that his back has been bothering him. That means yes, he has been the walking wounded.

Z has had a bad back for 2-3 years now. It is not going to get better on its own. HD's don't work that way. he has to have surgery. Period. Even then doesn't mean it fixes things. Just buys time until you have another then another then another. I know lots of people that have had this issue-spent 30 years in construction. Everyone that has one surgery on HD's has another within 5 years. Heck, look at Bert. How long and how many surgeries has he had? Several. Micky Redmond had his career cut short because of his back.

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2013/06/23/report-ioc-agrees-to-cover-nhl-player-insurance-costs/

Like I said, if you are going to call someone out for being wrong, at least be right.

Oh, so if you're close, you're not wrong? 9 days, 11 days, 16 days, who knows? So you're wrong, but you're right? The Red Wings break is through the 25th which is 17 days. Math is not your strong point.

So if the wings happened to have 2 days off before the Olympic break started for the rest of the NHL, you'd say that the break was 19 days? Get real. The length of the Olympic break is from the day after the last NHL game is played to the day before the next NHL game is played. We were talking about the break for the whole league.

The IOC itself does not pay for the insurance. the individual national hockey hockey federations do.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/nhlers-won-t-skate-at-olympic-orientation-camp-1.1351047

"But the price tag to insure players against injury is too high for Hockey Canada, so the four-day camp starting Sunday in Calgary will consist of informational meetings about the Games in Sochi, Russia, and fostering team chemistry off the ice."

Also, not all participating countries bring an equal amounts of NHL salaries to insure. So, even if the money is passing through IOC, each national federation pays according to the cost of its players' insurance.

Guest Playmaker

So if the wings happened to have 2 days off before the Olympic break started for the rest of the NHL, you'd say that the break was 19 days? Get real. The length of the Olympic break is from the day after the last NHL game is played to the day before the next NHL game is played. We were talking about the break for the whole league.

The IOC itself does not pay for the insurance. the individual national hockey hockey federations do.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/nhlers-won-t-skate-at-olympic-orientation-camp-1.1351047

"But the price tag to insure players against injury is too high for Hockey Canada, so the four-day camp starting Sunday in Calgary will consist of informational meetings about the Games in Sochi, Russia, and fostering team chemistry off the ice."

Also, not all participating countries bring an equal amounts of NHL salaries to insure. So, even if the money is passing through IOC, each national federation pays according to the cost of its players' insurance.

Okay, if you want to go with 16 days, your math WAS STILL WRONG! The end.

Did you even read what you just wrote? Canada couldn't even insure it's players for a practice camp because the cost was too high so they had an off ice workout. The IOC is paying for the insurance at the Olympics. Fact. You are WRONG. The governing bodies only cover the pre season practice camps, which is why Canada didn't have on ice practices. They couldn't afford it. The Governing bodies are not supplying any money to the IOC. The Federations do not have that kind of money. The IOC does.

In July, the NHL, NHLPA, IOC and IIHF agreed in principle that the IOC will cover insurance costs for the period of the Games. It is estimated that this will cost the IOC $8 million to insure the participating NHL players.18However, the National Governing Bodies (NGB) for the sport will cover the cost of orientation camps and practices leading up to Sochi.

Edited by Playmaker