• Please log in to reply
228 replies to this topic

#121 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 07:12 PM

I messed up something in my back right before New Years and could hardly walk for a week and a half, and I surely didn't have massive NHL'ers cross checking the s*** out of my back for half a hockey season, so I can't even begin to imagine how Z feels.  All I can do is say to him, get better my Captain!  :ok:

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#122 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,752 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 07:30 PM

Is it me, or has this ongoing back injury been hampering Hank for the better portion of a few years now?

I think it's best for the future of his career (and overall health for that matter) that he sits out the rest of this season...Rehab this summer, and come back strong for the 2014/2015 NHL season.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#123 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 07:39 PM

Ummm for those that watch the games, yes Micky has been talking about Z not being 100% and that his back has been bothering him. That means yes, he has been the walking wounded.

Z has had a bad back for 2-3 years now. It is not going to get better on its own. HD's don't work that way. he has to have surgery. Period. Even then doesn't mean it fixes things. Just buys time until you have another then another then another. I know lots of people that have had this issue-spent 30 years in construction. Everyone that has one surgery on HD's has another within 5 years. Heck, look at Bert. How long and how many surgeries has he had? Several. Micky Redmond had his career cut short because of his back.

#124 sibiriak

sibiriak

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,650 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 08:29 PM

http://prohockeytalk...nsurance-costs/

Like I said, if you are going to call someone out for being wrong, at least be right.

Oh, so if you're close, you're not wrong? 9 days, 11 days, 16 days, who knows?  So you're wrong, but you're right?  The Red Wings break is through the 25th which is 17 days.  Math is not your strong point.

So if the wings happened to have 2 days off before the Olympic break started for the rest of the NHL, you'd say that the break was 19 days? Get real. The length of the Olympic break is from the day after the last NHL game is played to the day before the next NHL game is played. We were talking about the break for the whole league.

The IOC itself does not pay for the insurance. the individual national hockey hockey federations do.

http://www.cbc.ca/sp...-camp-1.1351047

"But the price tag to insure players against injury is too high for Hockey Canada, so the four-day camp starting Sunday in Calgary will consist of informational meetings about the Games in Sochi, Russia, and fostering team chemistry off the ice."

Also, not all participating countries bring an equal amounts of NHL salaries to insure. So, even if the money is passing through IOC, each national federation pays according to the cost of its players' insurance.

#125 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,960 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 01:29 AM

Why couldn't it be Cleary or Samuelsson? 

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#126 Playmaker

Playmaker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 08:53 AM

So if the wings happened to have 2 days off before the Olympic break started for the rest of the NHL, you'd say that the break was 19 days? Get real. The length of the Olympic break is from the day after the last NHL game is played to the day before the next NHL game is played. We were talking about the break for the whole league.

The IOC itself does not pay for the insurance. the individual national hockey hockey federations do.

http://www.cbc.ca/sp...-camp-1.1351047

"But the price tag to insure players against injury is too high for Hockey Canada, so the four-day camp starting Sunday in Calgary will consist of informational meetings about the Games in Sochi, Russia, and fostering team chemistry off the ice."

Also, not all participating countries bring an equal amounts of NHL salaries to insure. So, even if the money is passing through IOC, each national federation pays according to the cost of its players' insurance.

Okay, if you want to go with 16 days, your math WAS STILL WRONG!  The end.

Did you even read what you just wrote?  Canada couldn't even insure it's players for a practice camp because the cost was too high so they had an off ice workout.  The IOC is paying for the insurance at the Olympics. Fact.  You are WRONG.  The governing bodies only cover the pre season practice camps, which is why Canada didn't have on ice practices.  They couldn't afford it.  The Governing bodies are not supplying any money to the IOC.  The Federations do not have that kind of money.  The IOC does.

In July, the NHL, NHLPA, IOC and IIHF agreed in principle that the IOC will cover insurance costs for the period of the Games. It is estimated that this will cost the IOC $8 million to insure the participating NHL players.18However, the National Governing Bodies (NGB) for the sport will cover the cost of orientation camps and practices leading up to Sochi.

Edited by Playmaker, 15 February 2014 - 08:54 AM.

#127 amato

amato

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 09:01 AM

Because Canada and Sweden want to win in Sochi? :P

Datsyukian

Dat·syu·ki·an [dat-soo-kee-uh n]

adjective

1. When your moves are so amazing and beyond reason, the only way to describe them is "datsyukian."

#128 roboturner

roboturner

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 12:31 PM

Man...some f***ing people on this board have have some serious issues using logic and reason. It wouldn't be that bad if they weren't so arrogant about their arguments.

I mean if your argument is "If his pre-existing injury flares up while playing hockey in the US, THAT'S FINE!!.

But if his pre-existing injury flares up while playing hockey with a different group of players, on a different/bigger sheet of ice, against lower competition, playing a less physical style of hockey (along with other ridiculous notions about payment/contracts and vacation days which have been debunked countless times), then all of a sudden he's a horrible selfish person who is only thinking of himself and wasn't thinking about the fans (ME specifically!! wahhh!! wahhh!)"

Seriously?? That's your argument??

I have a herniated disc/degenerative disc disease in my low back. I have to take a huge amount of Vicodin and medical marijuana just to sit through 12 credits of classes. I know exactly how painful it can be at times and what kind of things can aggravate it (nobody has even said how he hurt it. All it takes sometimes is getting in your car the wrong way, especially when it's already flaring up because you've been pushing through it for months). I can't imagine playing hockey at the NHL level with the amount of pain I have sometimes.

If you think that Z playing through the pain for the past few months (FOR THE WINGS!!) is anything short of a miracle, especially with this training staff, then I just don't know what somebody has to do to please you. I honestly feel bad for anybody that has to deal with you guys on a daily basis.

Edited by roboturner, 15 February 2014 - 12:52 PM.

This might be getting a little heated. Just know I don't hate any of you guys.

That doesn't mean that I respect ideas & opinions. Some ideas & opinions are ridiculous.

In fact, if you confront my ideas & opinions, that will lead to a discussion. (We're on a discussion board after all. Don't forget that!)

:bye1: :bye1: :bye1: :bye1: :bye1: :bye1: :bye1: :bye1:

#129 freshy

freshy

Freshy

• PipPipPipPip
  • 774 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 12:53 PM

Ummm for those that watch the games, yes Micky has been talking about Z not being 100% and that his back has been bothering him. That means yes, he has been the walking wounded.

Z has had a bad back for 2-3 years now. It is not going to get better on its own. HD's don't work that way. he has to have surgery. Period. Even then doesn't mean it fixes things. Just buys time until you have another then another then another. I know lots of people that have had this issue-spent 30 years in construction. Everyone that has one surgery on HD's has another within 5 years. Heck, look at Bert. How long and how many surgeries has he had? Several. Micky Redmond had his career cut short because of his back.

It actually can get "better" (aka less pain & absorption of disk matter) on it's own if given sufficient nutrients & time to heal. Surgery may/may not help with speeding up the process. Evidence is mixed. The problem for Z is that he has an occupation that isn't going to allow for his nervous system to calm down. Back pain is a ***** in that once you have it, your nervous system is centrally sensitized and it is very hard to keep it under control. Our bodies can be cruel in their effort to protect us. Sometimes it thinks the movement of reaching for the shampoo in the shower is a threat & put's people out of commission for a week. Now think about that with Z, a guy getting hacked, whacked, & pushing his body to the limit. For guys like him & Helm it is going to be rough.

You gotta be the QB to win the MVP baby! You can't be the punter.

#130 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,085 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 01:25 PM

I have a herniated disc/degenerative disc disease in my low back. I have to take a huge amount of Vicodin and medical marijuana just to sit through 12 credits of classes. I know exactly how painful it can be at times and what kind of things can aggravate it (nobody has even said how he hurt it. All it takes sometimes is getting in your car the wrong way, especially when it's already flaring up because you've been pushing through it for months). I can't imagine playing hockey at the NHL level with the amount of pain I have sometimes.

That's how Rafalski did his in the '09 playoffs.

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#131 roboturner

roboturner

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 02:17 PM

From what I've read, he was feeling fine during and after the game. Went to bed fine, woke up in pain. It might have had nothing to do with him playing and everything to do with the bed he slept on in the Olympic Village.

And I'm almost sure (*almost*) he doesn't take any narcotics for the pain. Maybe right now when its this bad he will, but I would guess that it's usually massages and injections.

Hopefully he can get some medical marijuana when he retires

That doesn't mean that I respect ideas & opinions. Some ideas & opinions are ridiculous.

In fact, if you confront my ideas & opinions, that will lead to a discussion. (We're on a discussion board after all. Don't forget that!)

#132 Wheelchairsuperhero

Wheelchairsuperhero

Wizard

• PipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 02:28 PM

First off I'm amazed at just how common back problems seem to be in adult men. My Dad has had slipped disc problems also and just in the past year I've developed some back issues (mild to this point, comparatively speaking). Not to mention the posters on here also suffering with these problems. Anyway I've got a ton of respect for Zetterberg at this point. Trying to lead this team and put it on his back to fight for a playoff spot, then going over to Captain his country's team in the Olympics, and overall being a classy dude. Regardless of his future here (which hopefully we get him for years to come still) having Hank as a Captain makes me proud to be a wings fan.

#133 Hey man nice shot!

Hey man nice shot!

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 434 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 03:35 PM

For all the bad signings and because he too is a wings fan i heard:)

Edited by Hey man nice shot!, 15 February 2014 - 03:39 PM.

#134 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 09:21 PM

freshy, yes the pain can decrease on its own, butt hat isn't fixing the problem. As was mentioned before, over here he was taking pain meds and pain blockers.

From the gusy that I know that have had this type of issue-none of us are 100% sure on Z's details, the only fix is to have surgery which involves fusing the bone together. I hope this doesn't have to happen, because that can be a career ender.

#135 troubadour

troubadour

Prospect

• 49 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 10:36 PM

I feel bad for Z. FWIW, I have had back problems since I was around 20 (almost 28 now), and I can go months or longer being just fine, and then the dumbest, seemingly innocuous thing will happen and I will have to start all over. I am a funeral director so I do a lot of heavy lifting all the time and be great and then I will take the slightest slip on some ice or lift a laundry basket or something not even worth noting to myself and it will start. Sometimes it is even 2-3 days before the inflammation kicks in to cause pain.

For all we know, the long plane ride could have been enough on Z. I hope he has a productive, long-term recovery, not only for his hockey career but for his lifetime.

#136 GoalieManPat

GoalieManPat

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,416 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 01:35 AM

If 10 of my best employees said, hey, we're leaving for 3 weeks, but we expect you to still pay us, you will have to close down your business, we expect you to still pay the 10 other employees that will sit and do nothing while we go, we will all have to work extra hours because of it and it will bring your business absolutely no extra money or exposure. 

NHL players are not being paid any extra for the Olympic break so your statement there is just false. They are making the exact same money regardless of it being an Olympic year.

The owners can bugger off about the Olympics. They were more than willing to completely cancel a season and a half worth of revenue in the past 10 years yet would complain about a two week break every four years?

Edited by GoalieManPat, 17 February 2014 - 01:38 AM.

#137 Playmaker

Playmaker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 06:38 AM

NHL players are not being paid any extra for the Olympic break so your statement there is just false. They are making the exact same money regardless of it being an Olympic year.

The owners can bugger off about the Olympics. They were more than willing to completely cancel a season and a half worth of revenue in the past 10 years yet would complain about a two week break every four years?

I didn't say they were being paid any extra.  

As I said before, the owners don't do a lockout to lose money, they do it to make money.  It's Business 101.  Even if they lost a small amount during the lockout in the short term, (they didn't have to pay out any salaries or any operating expenses) the amount they gained by getting control of salaries, getting the cap they wanted was a financial gain for them, just as it was in previous lockouts.  The fans return like sheep, they get the salary control and contract length they want.  Win/Win for the owners.  Not sure why this is all so hard to figure out.  While the Olympics do little for the owners bottom line and puts their best assets at risk.  

#138 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 09:14 AM

I feel bad for Z. FWIW, I have had back problems since I was around 20 (almost 28 now), and I can go months or longer being just fine, and then the dumbest, seemingly innocuous thing will happen and I will have to start all over. I am a funeral director so I do a lot of heavy lifting all the time and be great and then I will take the slightest slip on some ice or lift a laundry basket or something not even worth noting to myself and it will start. Sometimes it is even 2-3 days before the inflammation kicks in to cause pain.

For all we know, the long plane ride could have been enough on Z. I hope he has a productive, long-term recovery, not only for his hockey career but for his lifetime.

The slight turn to put your seatbelt on.  That's my latest.  Proves s*** happens even when you're careful.  Best of luck dude.  May you be pain free as long as possible.  

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#139 roboturner

roboturner

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 10:36 AM

I didn't say they were being paid any extra.  

As I said before, the owners don't do a lockout to lose money, they do it to make money.  It's Business 101.  Even if they lost a small amount during the lockout in the short term, (they didn't have to pay out any salaries or any operating expenses) the amount they gained by getting control of salaries, getting the cap they wanted was a financial gain for them, just as it was in previous lockouts.  The fans return like sheep, they get the salary control and contract length they want.  Win/Win for the owners.  Not sure why this is all so hard to figure out.  While the Olympics do little for the owners bottom line and puts their best assets at risk.  

You know I just reread that post you made and I don't think there the is any way it could be interpreted for it to come off like you knew they weren't being paid extra and that the league isn't actually losing any games.

And sure, they did shut down (for months on months) & lose short term to gain more money in the long term, while also completely killing any momentum the league was gaining...Which is exactly why its absurd to now come back and say that you don't want to "shut down" the league for two weeks (while not losing any games, still playing 82!) because it's killing the league's momentum. The days that aren't being used for NHL games right now wouldn't have had any NHL games on them anyway (team-wise anyway), they just would have been spread out more throughout the season. The only difference is every team is taking a break at the same time (much like they do for all-star breaks, where they shut down and send their best players to play in a "meaningless" game, risking potential injury to their stars).

And you think this amounts to absolutely no exposure? TJ Oshie has been all over the news the past few days, and a bunch of people tuned in to watch the US-Russia game at 7:30 in the morning (earlier on west coast). What exactly is that if it's not exposure? I'm mean this is like Steve Jobs saying he wouldn't have wanted the PC in general to get too much exposure because it would be bad for Apple's bottom line...

I'm shocked that you as a business owner don't know how salary works. The players get paid a set amount for the year in exchange for a certain amount of work (82 games in this case). As long as they get that amount of work done within the year it doesn't matter if they stop for two weeks. But you know maybe I'll give you a pass on this one, I'm sure Lemonade Stand owners don't pay their employees with a salary.

I guess if you said anything right it's that some fans ARE like sheep. They just take the owners word for it (or the players, doesn't matter who the information is coming from) and don't do any critical analysis of their own. That's what being a sheep is.

Edited by roboturner, 17 February 2014 - 12:35 PM.

#140 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,818 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 11:12 AM

Do we know if Hank is out for the season?  If so, opens up a lot of Cap room for Weiss to come back and to acquire someone with a larger contract...whether it be a rental type player or even a signed player.  Having Z's $6m+ cap hit available can help us out tremendously....of course I'd rather just have Z back, but for the better of his long term contract, if he has to have surgery, that is the smartest thing to do...

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Nestrasil, yes...Cleary....No!

Dump Q and K Now!