Zetterberg out with herniated disc

• Please log in to reply
228 replies to this topic

#141 troubadour

troubadour

Prospect

• 49 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 11:52 AM

Do we know if Hank is out for the season?  If so, opens up a lot of Cap room for Weiss to come back and to acquire someone with a larger contract...whether it be a rental type player or even a signed player.  Having Z's $6m+ cap hit available can help us out tremendously....of course I'd rather just have Z back, but for the better of his long term contract, if he has to have surgery, that is the smartest thing to do...

I believe he is scheduled to fly back to the states Tuesday and will be evaluated after that.

#142 roboturner

roboturner

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 439 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 01:48 PM

This should tell you how back injuries are sometimes:

My back starting hurting (more than usual) about a month ago. I tried to just push through it and do my normal activities.

A week and a half ago it got worse, but again I just kept trying to push through it. I've got stuff to do, ya know?!

Last weekend it got so bad that even through the 15mg of Vicodin along with the medical marijuana, I could barely get out of bed or even move around in bed without extreme pain in my back and my leg. I was sure it was some new injury, as it was on the other side of my back and other leg than before. I was mentally preparing for a round of MRI's and surgery to fix this one as had to be done with the last one.

After a few days of resting, icing, and stretching, I seem to be almost back to "normal" which still isn't great but is manageable. (so to whoever was asserting that back pain can't just go away without surgery I can tell you that is completely false, like I said this seemed to be a new injury)

The point of the story is....You never know how or what or when back pain is going to flair up or begin to get better. It's possible that Zetterberg just needs a little bit of rest, which he will now get, and some non-invasive treatment and he will be back to "normal".

That's not to say he won't need surgery and miss a bunch of games or the rest of the season, as I'm not a doctor or someone familiar with whats going on with him. That could well be the case. But I just wanted to throw it out there that occasionally these things can "heal" up somewhat quicker than expected

This might be getting a little heated. Just know I don't hate any of you guys.

That doesn't mean that I respect ideas & opinions. Some ideas & opinions are ridiculous.

In fact, if you confront my ideas & opinions, that will lead to a discussion. (We're on a discussion board after all. Don't forget that!)

:bye1: :bye1: :bye1: :bye1: :bye1: :bye1: :bye1: :bye1:

#143 Playmaker

Playmaker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,181 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 02:53 PM

You know I just reread that post you made and I don't think there the is any way it could be interpreted for it to come off like you knew they weren't being paid extra and that the league isn't actually losing any games.

And sure, they did shut down (for months on months) & lose short term to gain more money in the long term, while also completely killing any momentum the league was gaining...Which is exactly why its absurd to now come back and say that you don't want to "shut down" the league for two weeks (while not losing any games, still playing 82!) because it's killing the league's momentum. The days that aren't being used for NHL games right now wouldn't have had any NHL games on them anyway (team-wise anyway), they just would have been spread out more throughout the season. The only difference is every team is taking a break at the same time (much like they do for all-star breaks, where they shut down and send their best players to play in a "meaningless" game, risking potential injury to their stars).

And you think this amounts to absolutely no exposure? TJ Oshie has been all over the news the past few days, and a bunch of people tuned in to watch the US-Russia game at 7:30 in the morning (earlier on west coast). What exactly is that if it's not exposure? I'm mean this is like Steve Jobs saying he wouldn't have wanted the PC in general to get too much exposure because it would be bad for Apple's bottom line...

I'm shocked that you as a business owner don't know how salary works. The players get paid a set amount for the year in exchange for a certain amount of work (82 games in this case). As long as they get that amount of work done within the year it doesn't matter if they stop for two weeks. But you know maybe I'll give you a pass on this one, I'm sure Lemonade Stand owners don't pay their employees with a salary.

I guess if you said anything right it's that some fans ARE like sheep. They just take the owners word for it (or the players, doesn't matter who the information is coming from) and don't do any critical analysis of their own. That's what being a sheep is.

Well, perhaps you need some improved interpretation skills.  I am well aware of how salary works and that the players were playing 82 games. To my knowledge, however, I don't believe the owners have stopped issuing bi weekly paychecks during the Olympic break.  So, then, the players would still be getting paid, would that be correct?   If one of my salaried employees takes over 2 weeks off and doesn't have vacation pay, they do not get a paycheck.  They still have to work to get their salary. That's how salary works in the real world.  It isn't like the NHL where you can sit out a month, come back for two days of conditioning games, then leave for over 2 weeks to play for someone else and risk further injury.

Exposure doesn't necessarily equal any economic benefit.  Did the NHL take off after the 1980 Gold  Medal win?  Not really.  It was a story for a few weeks, then the small bounce it got went by the wayside.  Look at the Women's World Cup.  When they won the Cup back in 99 (or 2000?)  The Stadiums were filled, the buzz was incredible, people tuned in to the final game.  So, that must mean US fans love women's soccer?!  Lets start a professional women's soccer league and cash in!  Not so much.  It was a huge flop.  People get caught up in the story of the moment,and underdogs and the Patriotic thing contributes.  I can tell you, if the US loses in the semi finals, no one is going to care who TJ Oshie is.  Most of the people tuning in are already NHL hockey fans, which is why it's not doing much for the NHL.  The other people turning in are just into cheering on their country.  I turned on a cross country ski race the other day.  But there isn't a snowball's chance in hell that I'm going to follow the sport now because of it.

So riddle me this.  If the Olympics bring soooo much exposure and is so good for the NHL why are many owners against it?  They didn't become billionaires by being stupid.  

#144 stillwater

stillwater

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 03:24 PM

Speaking of the 10 ton elephant in the room ... congratulations on being so awesome.

Edited by stillwater, 19 February 2014 - 12:10 AM.

#145 roboturner

roboturner

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 439 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 05:04 PM

Well, perhaps you need some improved interpretation skills.  I am well aware of how salary works and that the players were playing 82 games. To my knowledge, however, I don't believe the owners have stopped issuing bi weekly paychecks during the Olympic break.  So, then, the players would still be getting paid, would that be correct?   If one of my salaried employees takes over 2 weeks off and doesn't have vacation pay, they do not get a paycheck.  They still have to work to get their salary. That's how salary works in the real world.  It isn't like the NHL where you can sit out a month, come back for two days of conditioning games, then leave for over 2 weeks to play for someone else and risk further injury.

Why in gods name would it matter if they still get a check this week?? Ask anybody that works for a school system.

Read this example carefully. If you still don't understand after this example then there really isn't any hope for you to understand this.

They only work 9 months of the year. during that time there are also breaks in the schedule such as christmas break and spring break.

Lets say their salary is $60,000. They work at the school for 40 weeks (12 weeks off for summer vacation).

You can either pay them the $60,000 during the 40 weeks they are working with 20 pay-periods and each payment is $3000. They still get paid over the breaks during the school year. They do not get a check during their non working months in the summer.

OR (this is the important part) they can elect to to get payed with 26 pay-periods and each payment is $2307.692. They will still get checks during the summer when they are not working.

Either way you still end up paying them......THE SAME AMOUNT OF MONEY($60,000)!!!! IT DOES NOT MATTER IF THEY GET A PAYCHECK WHILE THEY ARE GONE!!

Now of course this wouldn't apply if it was an unscheduled 2 week break from work where you already began checks in the larger amount (even then there would be ways to work around this). But this happens every 4 years and has been scheduled for years.

I'm done with this argument checks and pay-periods. I've debunked it several times in the past 2 weeks. This doesn't even seem to be the issue the owners have. Their argument seems to be that...ya know what forget it. Nobody wants to know what the actual arguments are, they just want what they think the arguments should be. I deleted what I had to say about you're "no economic gain" as it seems that me pointing out the truth of any matter is rubbing people the wrong way.

Sorry for bursting you're bubbles filled with non-issues & trying to give you guys some real issues to think about!

Edited by roboturner, 17 February 2014 - 05:34 PM.

That doesn't mean that I respect ideas & opinions. Some ideas & opinions are ridiculous.

In fact, if you confront my ideas & opinions, that will lead to a discussion. (We're on a discussion board after all. Don't forget that!)

#146 Playmaker

Playmaker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,181 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 07:53 PM

Really not sure where all the anger is coming from.  I have always fully understood it. You haven't debunked anything.  I've never disagreed with that.  My response was to those that said the players weren't  getting paid during the Olympics.  They are.  Not more, not less, the same as they would any other season. They're playing the same amount of games later into the season.  How long depends on which math you use, I guess.  ;)   I get that.  Always have, not sure what you're getting all worked up about.

By all means if you have some valid economic reasons for the NHL owners to loan out their best players for over 2 weeks during the season, lets hear them.  So, Bettman, Daly, the NHL owners would keep their players out of the Olympics when it would make them money and grow the game because???

#147 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,692 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 08:07 PM

When I hear statements about the players being "paid" during the olympics it makes me think directly of elementary and high school teachers (in canada at least) who get paid during the summer even though they don't work during that time. The pay is spread out over the year and even though they are earning it all in a 10 month span - they aren't paid it all as they earn it so they get money during the summer. 

This isn't really in response to anyone in particular - I just think its not as simple as saying NHL players are the only career where you can get paid while you aren't directly working for it. 

Is there a kickstarter campaign for Jakub Kindl to never play another NHL game?

#148 roboturner

roboturner

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 439 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 11:05 AM

"My take is, it's a great stage to showcase our players," he said today. "The USA-Russia game drew tremendous numbers back in the U.S. It's best on best.

"The injury to Henrik, really in my opinion, had nothing to do with Olympics. It's been an issue that set in in December, which he worked hard to overcome. Whether in the Olympics or NHL, it probably would have been the same situation.

"In 2002, Stevie Yzerman played in the Olympics, didn't play another game for us, then helped us win the Stanley Cup. I'm not going to sit here and judge our players. With Pavel, he has been a warrior for us since he showed up in 2001. I'm not sure where we'd be without him. He knows his body better than anybody, and I think he's earned the right to make the decision based on how his body feels."

Ken Holland on Zets injury per The Malik Report

#149 roboturner

roboturner

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 439 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 05:00 PM

First of all sorry if i'm sounding angry. Frustrated, yes! Because I've seen this brought up a number of times by multiple people. It's not just you, otherwise this could have been taken to PM's. But since there are other people who don't understand now they can read exactly why it doesn't matter. I'm trying (mostly) to attack your argument because it doesn't make any sense, not you as an individual. That being said.....

Really not sure where all the anger is coming from.  I have always fully understood it. You haven't debunked anything.  I've never disagreed with that.  My response was to those that said the players weren't  getting paid during the Olympics.  They are.  Not more, not less, the same as they would any other season. They're playing the same amount of games later into the season.  How long depends on which math you use, I guess.   ;)   I get that.  Always have, not sure what you're getting all worked up about.

No, no you haven't.

Yes, I have debunked the hypothesis that there is even an issue with when or how they get paid during these years.

It sure seems like you disagreed with the premise of paying them while they are not working, even though you "knew" it didn't really matter.

If 10 of my best employees said, hey, we're leaving for 3 weeks, but we expect you to still pay us, you will have to close down your business, we expect you to still pay the 10 other employees that will sit and do nothing while we go, we will all have to work extra hours because of it and it will bring your business absolutely no extra money or exposure.  Oh and by the way, I'm too sick or hurt to work right now, though I'm still getting paid, but I'm more than okay to go off for 3 weeks and do my job for my pride.  There's also a good chance that when I come back I'll be too hurt to work also.  But you will still have to pay me.  I have been a good employee for 10 years, so I don't owe you anything.  But you still have to pay me.  Sorry, not going to fly.

Why would you think that anything you've said here would apply to how the NHL pays it's players if you "fully understood and always had understood" that it did not matter.

#150 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,041 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 05:05 AM

Zetterberg is flying back today on the charter flight the NHL arranged to bring back all the players knocked out in the QF's.

Sochi to Newark, then Newark to Detroit - don't know how my back would hold up, let alone Z's! :lol:

Edited by Nev, 20 February 2014 - 05:05 AM.

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#151 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,097 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 06:07 AM

Zetterberg is flying back today on the charter flight the NHL arranged to bring back all the players knocked out in the QF's.

Sochi to Newark, then Newark to Detroit - don't know how my back would hold up, let alone Z's! :lol:

Z is a warrior, it will somehow make his back better lol

#152 msdos

msdos

Draftee

• 6 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 01:25 PM

Ok my question is, if Team Sweden won a medal, is Zetterberg still eligible to receive one as well? After all he was part of the final Olympic roster.. If they win I hope he gets it, he deserves it.

#153 evilmrt

evilmrt

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,534 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 01:33 PM

Between the crappy beds in the Olympic village, to sitting on how many flights, I can see why his back flared up.

What about Dats? Not on the plane?

#154 puckloo39

puckloo39

Champion, MVP and still the best!!!

• HoF Booster
  • 21,447 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 01:36 PM

I would say yes, he gets a medal.  The back up goalie got one for the Czechs in 1998, and never even sniffed the ice for one second during the entire tournament.  I think if you're on the team, you get a medal.

Between the crappy beds in the Olympic village, to sitting on how many flights, I can see why his back flared up.

What about Dats? Not on the plane?

http://kuklaskorner....medium=facebook

per Malik, Dats is taking a few days to visit folks in Russia -- probably his daughter who lives with her mom in Ekaterinaburg.

puckloo39dom.jpg

"There is no passion to be found in playing small -- in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living."

Nelson Mandela - RIP  1918-2013

Better than Ever

#155 msdos

msdos

Draftee

• 6 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 04:06 PM

But is it the same when your a "backup goalie" compared to pulling yourself out of the squad due to injury?

#156 roboturner

roboturner

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 439 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 05:12 PM

Well he got more ice time than the backup goalie. He scored a goal too, didn't he? And he was the captain of the team. Those things have gotta count for something.

I'm educated guessing he gets a medal. (As long as they do in fact medal!  ;) )

#157 pucktividi

pucktividi

the usual suspect

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 06:06 PM

Zetterberg's tournament ended a week ago, when he was forced to pull out as captain of Team Sweden because of a herniated disk in his back. He boarded an NHL charter red-eye Wednesday in Sochi and is scheduled to see a back specialist in New York after landing there today.

Team Sweden's doctor has said Zetterberg is likely to need surgery, but the question is when. Until a doctor says otherwise, the Wings are hoping Zetterberg can still play again this season.

Let's pray he won't need a surgery.

#158 msdos

msdos

Draftee

• 6 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 07:03 PM

American medicine > any other. Lets hope the doctors here judge otherwise!

#159 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,750 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 07:06 PM

The most important thing is his health, I hope he takes his time and does the right thing. If that means being done for the season so be it sometimes other things (love, health) are way more important than the best game this planet has ever seen.

Get well soon captain Z

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#160 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,662 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 09:06 PM

Well he got more ice time than the backup goalie. He scored a goal too, didn't he? And he was the captain of the team. Those things have gotta count for something.

I'm educated guessing he gets a medal. (As long as they do in fact medal!  ;) )

The backup goalie is different, isn't it?  Backup goalies always get their names on the Cup, even if they didn't play in the playoffs.  Doesn't work that way for skaters who play less than 41 games and no playoff appearances.    

Not sure how the Olympics work, though.  

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.