• Please log in to reply
228 replies to this topic

#161 roboturner

roboturner

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 440 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 10:37 AM

The backup goalie is different, isn't it?  Backup goalies always get their names on the Cup, even if they didn't play in the playoffs.  Doesn't work that way for skaters who play less than 41 games and no playoff appearances.    

Not sure how the Olympics work, though.  

I've never heard about that. I guess that makes sense.I just figured since he had some contributions he would get a medal (hell it wouldn't even have to be a goal, even just getting out on the ice for a shift and playing defense or something should be enough)

This might be getting a little heated. Just know I don't hate any of you guys.

That doesn't mean that I respect ideas & opinions. Some ideas & opinions are ridiculous.

In fact, if you confront my ideas & opinions, that will lead to a discussion. (We're on a discussion board after all. Don't forget that!)

:bye1: :bye1: :bye1: :bye1: :bye1: :bye1: :bye1: :bye1:

#162 dat's sick

dat's sick

Fear can hold you prisoner, hope can set you free

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,335 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 11:14 AM

Zetterberg apparently went straight into surgery. So that is a minimum of 6-8 weeks recovery. 

edit: source: http://www.aftonblad...icle18415758.ab

Z texted Kronwall before the semifinal. 

Edited by dat's sick, 21 February 2014 - 11:15 AM.

#163 vladdy16

vladdy16

The rest are neophytes.

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 6,168 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 11:31 AM

Red Wings' Henrik Zetterberg had surgery today to remove part of disc in his back. Team said it went well. Might be out 8 weeks but not sure

This is for the "went well" update.

Can't wait to read the "Phoenix: I still think it's a hockey market" chapter of Gary Bettman's autobiography. I'm guessing it's going to be chapter 11.

- mjlegend 3/9/2011

#164 BottleOfSmoke

BottleOfSmoke

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,989 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 11:52 AM

tumblr_m8kn6yaGBE1qcv7kk.gif

LGWsig_zpsa75c5d1e.jpg

#165 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,240 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 11:59 AM

RIP playoff streak.

Get well soon, Z.

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

#166 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,047 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 12:14 PM

Red Wings' Henrik Zetterberg had surgery today to remove part of disc in his back. Team said it went well. Might be out 8 weeks but not sure

This is for the "went well" update.

If this is the same surgery a friend of mine had, I fear Z is done for the season :(

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#167 FireCaptain

FireCaptain

This space for rent.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,895 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 12:18 PM

http://www.mlive.com...ik_zette_4.html

Zetterberg apparently went straight into surgery. So that is a minimum of 6-8 weeks recovery. 

edit: source: http://www.aftonblad...icle18415758.ab

Z texted Kronwall before the semifinal. 

Most nights, my posts are brought to you by Heineken and sarcasm.
Success has a thousand fathers, failure is an orphan.
We not score, is hard to win. - Pavel Datsyuk #13

#168 wingfan1991

wingfan1991

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,738 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 12:18 PM

We are doomed!

#169 puckloo39

puckloo39

Champion, MVP and still the best!!!

• HoF Booster
  • 21,451 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 12:20 PM

If Datsyuk doesn't come back and play in a stellar fashion, we might be in serious trouble here.  Get well soon, Z.  This sucks pucks.  :glare:

puckloo39dom.jpg

“Next time I tell you someone from Texas should not be president of the United States, please pay attention."

Best ever

#170 vladdy16

vladdy16

The rest are neophytes.

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 6,168 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 12:51 PM

Ken Holland on Henrik Zetterberg: "He had a floating piece of a disk lodged in a nerve in his back." I cringed as I wrote that down.

If this is the same surgery a friend of mine had, I fear Z is done for the season :(

Sssssshhhhhhhh.  Detroit and fans simply can't take any more.

Can't wait to read the "Phoenix: I still think it's a hockey market" chapter of Gary Bettman's autobiography. I'm guessing it's going to be chapter 11.

- mjlegend 3/9/2011

#171 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,696 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 12:52 PM

Thank god it is done with - I feel much better knowing he received immediate care and won't do further damage to try to rescue an already poor season. Let the kids develop in the meantime and go all in next year. Simple as that. 

Is there a kickstarter campaign for Jakub Kindl to never play another NHL game?

#172 dat's sick

dat's sick

Fear can hold you prisoner, hope can set you free

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,335 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 12:55 PM

I'm no doctor, but I'm glad they sound positive about this procedure and his recovery. 

#173 marcaractac

marcaractac

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,324 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 01:35 PM

I'm no doctor, but I'm glad they sound positive about this procedure and his recovery. 

Very positive. Just read on Twiiter that Hank and the team is optimistic he'll get a couple games in before the end of the regular season. Would be great if it works out that way

Edited by marcaractac, 21 February 2014 - 01:35 PM.

#174 roboturner

roboturner

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 440 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 01:49 PM

Sounds like it was a simple discectomy (maybe not simple with the way they are describing a "floating piece" of disc). I had the same surgery about 4 years ago. With the disc pressing on any nerve, that pain was about 20 times worse than just the disc being degenerative. The nerve pain is what really stops you from doing your normal activities. With the disc no longer pressing on the nerve, he'll start feeling quite a bit better.

I'm confident an athletically built Zetterberg with world class after-surgery care will be back to his normal self.

Edited by roboturner, 21 February 2014 - 01:51 PM.

This might be getting a little heated. Just know I don't hate any of you guys.

That doesn't mean that I respect ideas & opinions. Some ideas & opinions are ridiculous.

In fact, if you confront my ideas & opinions, that will lead to a discussion. (We're on a discussion board after all. Don't forget that!)

:bye1: :bye1: :bye1: :bye1: :bye1: :bye1: :bye1: :bye1:

#175 Detroit # 1 Fan

Detroit # 1 Fan

Truculence.

• HoF Booster
  • 19,040 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 02:19 PM

Well based on the Mlive article, if we can get into the dance Z should be healthy and ready to go. We have his cap space in LTIR at the deadline to make a move now for a rental, we could still make some noise this year. Gonna need Weiss and Franzen healthy, and Pavs to pick up where he left off in the Olympics.

#NOMOREKINDL

#176 SimonSin

SimonSin

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 470 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 02:21 PM

Thank god it is done with - I feel much better knowing he received immediate care and won't do further damage to try to rescue an already poor season. Let the kids develop in the meantime and go all in next year. Simple as that. 

I agree. I'm actually glad this whole thing is behind us now. No more speculation on what's wrong with him and we can move forward. I think Z should just take the year off. We're not going to win the cup anyway so just rest and come back fully rested and healthy for the start of 2014. I'm glad his career isn't in danger and we can still get a few more good years from the captain.

#177 msdos

msdos

Draftee

• 6 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 02:54 PM

I agree. I'm actually glad this whole thing is behind us now. No more speculation on what's wrong with him and we can move forward. I think Z should just take the year off. We're not going to win the cup anyway so just rest and come back fully rested and healthy for the start of 2014. I'm glad his career isn't in danger and we can still get a few more good years from the captain.

A discectomy for a herniated disc does not mean that his career isnt in danger. Z will always be in danger of hurting his back again especially because they had to conduct the surgery. The surgery relieved the pain and got rid of the bad disc, but it also has the potential of causing problems to the surrounding discs in the spine. Knowing Z tho he wouldnt mind sticking it through till the end of his career. 

Main point tho, I agree, the problem at hand was solved and i'm glad. But all we can do is pray the future problems dont arise during his hockey career (they probably will eventually) 

Edited by msdos, 21 February 2014 - 02:55 PM.

#178 Wheelchairsuperhero

Wheelchairsuperhero

Wizard

• PipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 03:05 PM

Totally agree. I do hope Datsyuk is healthy though and shows that he can put the team on his back too.

#179 hooon

hooon

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,216 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 03:14 PM

Best of luck in the coming months of recovery for Z.

Seems like the surgery went as well as it possibly could have, and they found what was wrong and fixed him. I even read that Z will be up and walking TODAY, which seems remarkable. 

Scary that our playoff hopes might hinge on.... Stephen Weiss... of all players. We need him to come back healthy and rejuvenated and actually have an impact in the games.

I know Pavel will be Pavel, just have to hope all the injury trouble is behind him. It will be an interesting race, that's for sure.

Posted Image

#180 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,825 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 03:19 PM

At this point all I care about is his healt. Glad, like others mentioned this has been done away with. Take the season off Z and come back fully healthy and recovered next year.

Play the young guns and see where it goes, we wouldn't have won the cup anyway this year. If the streak ends so be it.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..