• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
wings87

International Hockey Rivalries.

Rate this topic

International Hockey Rivalries.   

69 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

We've had some discussion in the Olympic thread about which teams on the International stage have the Biggest rivalry. So just curious what some of you guys think. To me at the present time there is no more bigger rivalry then

USA vs Canada.

Edited by wings87

Austria - Germany

Finland - Sweden

Norway - Denmark

Russia - Canada

Slovenia - Slovakia

Canada - USA is a big rivalry but I think. Canada - Russia tops that

Sent from my BlackBerry

This is all pretty much spot on, except Slovenia and Slovakia. I think you meant Czech Republic and Slovakia?

Throughout the entire history of International play, at all levels, it's easily Canada v. USSR. That wasn't offered as a choice, so Canada - Russia will do, thank you very much.

In history sure, but since the Soviet Union broke up the rivalry has been somewhat toned down. Which has let the US, Canada rivalry take center stage.

To me there is a difference between the Canada Russia and Canada USA rivalries.

I hate when Canada loses to anyone, but the hatred when they lose to Russia is far worse than it is with the US. I think it will take losing a big game to the US to elevate them into the Russia category for me.

You have to go Canada v. USSR/Russia, It may have toned down but that bad blood will never be satiated. Hell on a lesser degree I still hate the Avs, though that rivalry has died down alot and everyone who was really in it has retired, but our little squabble doesn't even hold a candle to Canada v. whatever the Russians are calling themselves this week.

I voted Canada/Russia (USSR) based on the history... Summit Series of '72, the "Punch-Up at Piestany" WJC game from '87, the Canada Cup battles... but I think USA/Canada has developed into just as good of a rivalry, without the deep-rooted mutual dislike. '96 World Cup, '10 Olympic Final in Vancouver, and some of the WJC games have been outstanding hockey. Add in the women's side and this rivalry may be taking over...

I voted Canada Russia because of the history, but I think USA vs Canada has been the more prominent rivalry since the NHL started taking part in the games.

100% this. USA is better then Russia and have been for awhile. Russia and Canada had some of the best matches on international ice in the past, but recently Canada vs USA is the rivalry.

Historically speaking, it isn't even close....Canada vs. Russia. Medal counts don't always mean everything, but in this case, it does tell a lot of the story. Total Gold medals in men's World Juniors, World Championships and Olympics = Russia - 50, Canada - 47, Czech - 15. I think the US is around 5 or 6. If you include Silvers, it's even more of a difference.

I would agree that Canada vs. US might have a more slight edge in recent years, but it will need to grow greater and last longer for history to be ignored.

USA is better then Russia and have been for awhile.

based on what? Silver medal in 2010?

also Finland-Sweden rivalry is really underrated among hockey fans.

Edited by RusDRW

100% this. USA is better then Russia and have been for awhile. Russia and Canada had some of the best matches on international ice in the past, but recently Canada vs USA is the rivalry.

Sorry but this isn't true. Russia - Canada is THE international rivalry in hockey, it's pure hatred filled with a lot of emotions dating back to many memories even form UDSSR and cold war times. USA - Canada is intense and hatred but Russia - Canada is still on another level.

I also agree, that the rivalry between Finland - Sweden is underrated they can't stand eachother at all and I wouldn't hesitate to compare it with USA - Canada in terms of hatred.

There are really some good rivalries sadly we don't see them as often as we are used to, since the ranking formats in tournaments are getting changed too often.

Sorry but this isn't true. Russia - Canada is THE international rivalry in hockey, it's pure hatred filled with a lot of emotions dating back to many memories even form UDSSR and cold war times. USA - Canada is intense and hatred but Russia - Canada is still on another level.

I also agree, that the rivalry between Finland - Sweden is underrated they can't stand eachother at all and I wouldn't hesitate to compare it with USA - Canada in terms of hatred.

There are really some good rivalries sadly we don't see them as often as we are used to, since the ranking formats in tournaments are getting changed too often.

I disagree with this in recent years, I never said Russia vs Canada isn't the international rivalry. Canada vs Russia in Vancouver wasn't as intense as Canada vs USA. Canada beat Russia 7-3 and the game wasn't that intense besides the first 10 minutes. I have watched that game 100 times, it wasn't close to the games against USA.

Throughout the entire history of International play, at all levels, it's easily Canada v. USSR. That wasn't offered as a choice, so Canada - Russia will do, thank you very much.

Clearly you and many others are to young to have seen the bouts between cccp-cssr after prague spring of 68.