• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Richdg

10 ton elephant in the room.

Rate this topic

Some here are not going to like the question, but it must be considered. We have 2 guys: Franzen and Zetterberg, both with major health issues, that are signed for 6 and 7 years for a total cap hit of over 10 million per year. Do we buy one out this summer? I have been wanting us to buy out Franzen for years now, but Z's contract is longer and even more money. If either one is done soon, we have major cap issues for a long time. Keep in mind that they get paid not matter what. There is also nothing to keep us from resigning them year to year if they can still play.

Guest Playmaker

Some here are not going to like the question, but it must be considered. We have 2 guys: Franzen and Zetterberg, both with major health issues, that are signed for 6 and 7 years for a total cap hit of over 10 million per year. Do we buy one out this summer? I have been wanting us to buy out Franzen for years now, but Z's contract is longer and even more money. If either one is done soon, we have major cap issues for a long time. Keep in mind that they get paid not matter what. There is also nothing to keep us from resigning them year to year if they can still play.

Actually, there is something to keep us from resigning them. The team that buys out a player's contract can't resign them.

There is no such thing as a cap problem anymore.

The new Canadian TV deal all but assures the cap will be skyrocket over the next couple of seasons. Even with the recapture penalties we'd face if both retired there would be ample cap room to sign even the most expensive players available.

The only person with any potential to be bought out whatsoever is Tootoo.

a3aa0cf0c833b652be9ccb859d50a39061caa330

Rich and a bud thinking up this scenario...

There's a lot of room for activities with all that cap space.

The day that Z gets bought out is the day I ride to Holland's house on my Back to the Future hoverboard and punch his wife in the face on the way to cash my lottery check while holding my Oscar and s***ting gold doubloons out of my ass.

Come to think of it I'm really rich in this alternate reality

*thumbs up*

What were we talking about?

The new Canadian TV deal all but assures the cap will be skyrocket over the next couple of seasons. Even with the recapture penalties we'd face if both retired there would be ample cap room to sign even the most expensive players available

That is quite a statement. Any source?

That is quite a statement. Any source?

Next season the cap is projected to be at 71.1 Million, higher than it was when the lockout happened.

Source

The cap rises based on revenue the league makes, and this season the league still has to account for the revenue from the Stadium series, the heritage classic, the winter classic then next season the 5.2 billion in that TV deal starts inflating revenue further.

Estimates are that that salary cap will reach 80 million by 2016/17 and 100 million by the end of that TV deal in 2022

Retiring

If Franzen were to retire today it would cost the Wings 1.03 Million a season for 6 seasons.

If Zetteberg were to retire today it would cost the Wings 1.01 Million a season for 7 seasons.

2.04 million wouldn't have much of an impact at all on the Wings even in the worst case scenario.

We could only compliance buyout one, and the other would have to be straight bought out and that buyout would cost us more than the recapture penalties from letting both retire.

Hypothetically here is the cost for a straight buyout of either player.

Johan Franzen buyout from CapGeek.com

• 2014-15: -$73,232
  • 2015-16: -$73,232
  • 2016-17: $1,426,768
  • 2017-18: $2,926,768
  • 2018-19: $3,926,768
  • 2019-20: $3,926,768
  • 2020-21: $972,222
  • 2021-22: $972,222
  • 2022-23: $972,222
  • 2023-24: $972,222
  • 2024-25: $972,222
  • 2025-26: $972,222

Henrik Zetterberg buyout from CapGeek.com

• 2014-15: $242,857
  • 2015-16: $242,857
  • 2016-17: $242,857
  • 2017-18: $742,857
  • 2018-19: $4,392,857
  • 2019-20: $6,742,857
  • 2020-21: $6,742,857
  • 2021-22: $1,659,524
  • 2022-23: $1,659,524
  • 2023-24: $1,659,524
  • 2024-25: $1,659,524
  • 2025-26: $1,659,524
  • 2026-27: $1,659,524
  • 2027-28: $1,659,524
Edited by FlashyG

Everytime I think I post something I think is slightly "zany" ...I'll just remind myself that this topic was started and someone suggested buying out Zetterberg.

Also, just as a reminder: You can't compliance buyout Franzen if he ends the year still dealing with an injury.

(see Sammy; last year.)

only for a year, which if Z needs surgery works out. takes a long time to be "ready" again. Franzen can just go and not be missed.

#1-If he needs surgery, meaning he's injured, he can't be bought out

#2-Even if he was bought out & sat out a year, I'm pretty sure the league would step in & not allow him to sign with the Wings again as it would go against the spirit of the CBA. There were warnings from the head office last off season to teams considering pulling off '1st team trades player-2nd teams buys him out-1st team then signs at lower cap hit' moves & how they wouldn't be allowed for that very reason. Bottom line, if a player is bought out, his next NHL contract has to be with another organization period.

Edited by ogreslayer

I've been away from this board for a long time, just recently came back and I have one question?

What the heck happened to the Red Wings fanbase? Buyout ZETTERBERG?! Are you serious?

I hate to be mean but come on! Some of these comments and trade proposals are miserable.

If Franzen can't come back due to his concussion, we can Pronger him (LTIR for the rest of the contract). If he can come back physically, but isn't sure how well he'll play, we can use the buyout. Those are huge "ifs". For all we know, with proper rest and recuperation and not getting in the head again, he may do just fine.

As for Hank, we can LTIR him as long as needed and then he'll be back. Even on LTIR, he's valuable as a leader. Buy him out? I'd rather kiss Bettman Eddie Olchezechkzkhzc.

Guys, we have $22 million in cap space opening up next year if we don't resign Sammy, Bert, Cleary, Quincy, Alfie...

Why buy out Z and Mule? We have plenty of room to work with next year. Mule at under $4 mill a year is a steal, considering we get almost 30 goals a year from him. We should try and get rid of Weiss instead of Mule.

UFAs next year we should be pursuing hard are Stastny and Callahan...

Edited by LAWings

There's no room, and there is certainly no elephant in it.

Would you settle for a box? There may or may not be a dead cat in it.

Sorry. Nerd break.

I agree that buying out Z is something that will never be discussed by the Powers That Be. Maybe a thought or two about Mule since they know more about his condition than we do, but I doubt it.

Of course, around here, it's kind of dead around the Olympic break. I guess we need something to keep us off the streets and out of trouble.

Guys, I was clearly talking about if Z can't play anymore, which is a legit possibility. Something we will all find out over the next few months. Same is true with franzen and his multiple concussions. These can be career enders. Under that context only if they can't play, we have 1 buyout left to use, that has to be used this summer.