• Please log in to reply
421 replies to this topic

#21 DickieDunn

DickieDunn

http://redwingsandotherthings.wordpress.com/

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,563 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 04:33 PM

I don't really understand how people still get upset/surprised with Babcock's lines.  He has done this kind of stuff for years.

Yesterday lines started with Bert on line 1 and Nyquist on line 4 yet guess who played more? Nyquist. Who played in more key situations? Nyquist.

Things are not always as they seem...

Yeah people get too caught up in labels.

Oh this young man has had a very trying rookie season, with the litigation, the notoriety, his subsequent deportation to Canada and that country's refusal to accept him, well, I guess that's more than most 21-year-olds can handle... Ogie Ogilthorpe!

#22 themcityblues

themcityblues

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 740 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 05:05 PM

I scratched a struggling linemate who happened to score last night's clutch goal for the worst player in the team. Who am I?

#23 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,517 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 05:05 PM

Babs shouldn't really use the line "we are going to dress the best players" if he's going to roll out Bertuzzi and Cleary in a playoff race. Eaves is superior to both and still can't find his way into the lineup consistently. Bertuzzi got a gift-wrapped goal, but otherwise was slow and ineffective. Cleary will be no different, likely worse. 

People get upset with Babs because it does continue to happen. Stupidity is still stupidity even if you keep repeating the mistake and just accept that's the way he is. 

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

#24 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,943 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 05:14 PM

I scratched a struggling linemate who happened to score last night's clutch goal for the worst player in the team. Who am I?

An annoying person?

#25 Hairy Lime

Hairy Lime

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 05:26 PM

Good thing Bert did not net a hat trick ... he might have been sent down to the minors!  

#26 wingfan1991

wingfan1991

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,747 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 05:34 PM

Monster in net wtf? Babcock bad move.. Jimmy all the way back to back workhorse remember? Monster swims out there always out of position no confidence in him. 

#27 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,943 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 05:38 PM

Monster in net wtf? Babcock bad move.. Jimmy all the way back to back workhorse remember? Monster swims out there always out of position no confidence in him. 

It's amazing how everyone sang his praises earlier in the year, and hated on Jimmy, now it's reversed

#28 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• Gold Booster
  • 1,918 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 05:40 PM

It's amazing how everyone sang his praises earlier in the year, and hated on Jimmy, now it's reversed

Ha Beat me to it. lol Short memories around here. 

"The leader must never close the gap between himself and the group. If he does, he is no longer what he must be. He must walk a tightrope between the consent he must win and the control he must exert."
Vince Lombardi

When asked who won, Babcock said, “Well it doesn’t really matter as long as you don’t lose. It’s like going bear hunting, you take a slow guy with you in case the bear is hungry.”

#29 Bully76

Bully76

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 63 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 05:43 PM

I'd just like to say how glad I am to see Pavel leading the forwards in ice time last night after getting trashed all over the place for playing in the Olympics and getting hurt consequently missing the next 15 games or whatever the pessimists predicted. To me, he's spent the last decade-plus displaying nothing but a team-first attitude and grit. I had to listen on the interweb since I live out of state, so if he had his worst game in recent memory, feel free to correct me. It was just a bummer reading all the negativity about his choice to wear the C for Russia on home ice. Maximum respect, Pavel. Now, let's win another one, boys!

"If I had a dime for every time I was wrong, I'd be broke."

-Stephen Colbert

#30 canadian wings fan

canadian wings fan

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 916 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 05:52 PM

^

look I love Pavs as much as the next diehard wings fan, but he looked noticeably off last night. Very unlike himself, he barely stickedhandled and was quick to give the puck to somebody else. His shots looked weaker but he was hustling and made some good defensive plays especially while back checking  

#31 DickieDunn

DickieDunn

http://redwingsandotherthings.wordpress.com/

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,563 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 06:01 PM

Good thing Bert did not net a hat trick ... he might have been sent down to the minors!  

Bertuzzi and Cleary haven't played in forever. They're on the team they need to play occasionally. Back to back games after 2 weeks off I'm surprised more guys aren't getting a night off

Oh this young man has had a very trying rookie season, with the litigation, the notoriety, his subsequent deportation to Canada and that country's refusal to accept him, well, I guess that's more than most 21-year-olds can handle... Ogie Ogilthorpe!

#32 darkmanx

darkmanx

Toronto's Finest

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,778 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 06:34 PM

Bertuzzi and Cleary haven't played in forever. They're on the team they need to play occasionally. Back to back games after 2 weeks off I'm surprised more guys aren't getting a night off

Sorry, but I disagree. Cleary and Bert don't need to play occasionally unless we are searching for a top pick. If Babs is going to play them, play them where they should be. Nyquist should be on the top line.

#33 wings87

wings87

Wake Up!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,016 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 06:48 PM

With the way Pav looked last night I would rather have him take this game off and rest for 5 days before the next game. We need this guy to be himself down the stretch. 

"He usually shows up when the game is over and tries to be the hero. Puts his cape on and goes and flies out there." ~ Franzen 

#34 thegerkin

thegerkin

Statue of Liberty!!!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 06:59 PM

LET'S GO WINGS!!!

#35 WorkingOvertime

WorkingOvertime

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,496 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 07:07 PM

LGW!

And also,

@Proteautype: Sean Avery to compete on Dancing With The Stars. His strategy: standing in front of other dancers and waving his shoes in their face.

I'm so watching that.

Can he play for Cleary?

#36 Red Crazy

Red Crazy

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 07:12 PM

Would have been nice for Bert to play this game. Chris Neil will be running our top guys for sure and some snarl in the line up would have been nice.

#37 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,173 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 07:22 PM

Would have been nice for Bert to play this game. Chris Neil will be running our top guys for sure and some snarl in the line up would have been nice.

Did you not see Dan "the Hammer" Cleary is playing?

#38 HockeytownRules19

HockeytownRules19

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,378 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 07:22 PM

Khan tweeted:

Wings warming up... with 93-13-14, 8-43-11, 21-15-26, 20-41-18

Datsyuk and Nyquist :w00t:

#39 vladdy16

vladdy16

The rest are neophytes.

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 6,246 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 07:24 PM

Watching Red Wings Live right now.  I know this is pre-taped, but they're interviewing Ozzy and Howie right now and Howie is wearing a brace on his left knee.  This may explain why he's sitting.

Can't wait to read the "Phoenix: I still think it's a hockey market" chapter of Gary Bettman's autobiography. I'm guessing it's going to be chapter 11.

- mjlegend 3/9/2011

#40 RedWang

RedWang

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 07:33 PM

Khan tweeted:

Wings warming up... with 93-13-14, 8-43-11, 21-15-26, 20-41-18

Datsyuk and Nyquist :w00t:

Wait? No Dano then?