• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
LAWings

Why did Franzen get 10 min game misconduct?

Rate this topic

I couldn't figure out last night what he did and no one bothered to question or explain in during the broadcast. He didn't drop his gloves or retaliate in any way. There was a lot of chirping between him and Neil so unless Franzen told the ref to pound sand I don't get it.

I have no clue either. Unless they thought by doing so they were protecting him since he had just become a major target at that point, and kept making all the other player even more pissed by talking trash and laughing at them, and giving them little slashes, etc.

I think it's just one of those game managing calls. The game was over and they kept going after Franzen so in the best interest of everyone they took him out of the game. I'm sure someone put this in the GDT but here's an awesome quote from Franzen about Neal after the game:

Franzen had "no clue" why Neil went after him: "He usually steps up when the game is over, tries to be the hero, put his cape on fly around"

Edited by nosyt612

I think it's just one of those game managing calls. The game was over and they kept going after Franzen so in the best interest of everyone they took him out of the game.

I don't agree with the call, but I think this was the reason. FWIW Franzen did more than a lot of enforcers that get the same call near the end of games.

I don't know why he got the penalty, but I was watching a video of the incident and there's a really funny exchange between Franzen and the Ref. The video is here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GceI-BVVxc8#t=47

The Ref is leading him off at :40 and for some reason he keeps patting Franzen's butt. You can see Franzen get really annoyed at :50. Maybe he just didn't like being led off, but it looks to me like he just doesn't like butt pats as much as BottleofSmoke.

I don't know why he got the penalty, but I was watching a video of the incident and there's a really funny exchange between Franzen and the Ref. The video is here:

The Ref is leading him off at :40 and for some reason he keeps patting Franzen's butt. You can see Franzen get really annoyed at :50. Maybe he just didn't like being led off, but it looks to me like he just doesn't like butt pats as much as BottleofSmoke.

Did Franzen try to give the ref a high five? Haha.

Earlier in the game he took a face-off with that same linesman and gabbed the NHL patch on his shirt. or copped a quick feel.

In any case Franzen cracks me up all the time with his awkwardness. Remember when he grabbed kayne's mouth guard.

He was just aggravated that the butt pats weren't from me. What you can't hear is him saying "nobody pats my butt except BoS, and only when the game's over dammit!"

Just read this article about the incident. If it's not blatantly obvious that Neil is a stupid piece of trash by about the second sentence then I don't know what to tell you. Whenever anybody tells me fighting is about "protecting your guys" I'm going to point to this. Just a stupid ape wanting to fight because he wants to fight...against a goal scoring Euro...in a game that completely out of reach...based on an interaction he started...for no reason. Idiot.

http://kuklaskorner.com/tmr/comments/chris-neil-weighs-in-on-dust-up-with-franzen

I have to agree with Kipwinger on this one. I am not sure what Neil was attempting to prove??? Maybe that he can still take out the leading scorer for the night in a fight??? I always respected Neil until recently, his game has slipped over the last few years, and personally I believe if he would have played when Probie and Kocur played he would be the only one with lipstick and a purse. Lets face it, Probie and Kocur would have chewed this dude up. Just my opinion.

I have to agree with Kipwinger on this one. I am not sure what Neil was attempting to prove??? Maybe that he can still take out the leading scorer for the night in a fight??? I always respected Neil until recently, his game has slipped over the last few years, and personally I believe if he would have played when Probie and Kocur played he would be the only one with lipstick and a purse. Lets face it, Probie and Kocur would have chewed this dude up. Just my opinion.

You don't even have to go as far as Probie and Kocur. There's probably a dozen guys in the league right now that would butcher Neil. Which is why he gets in scrums with kids (Smith) and goal scorers (Franzen) now. It's hard to be taken seriously as a fighter when you've been beaten by every heavyweight and most middle weights in the league.

I think you answered your own question here. As I don't agree with what Neil did, when you are a goon with not much skill you need to maintain "standout power" or else you get buried like Tootoo.

For the sake of his career and maintaining a roster spot, he's making efforts to step in after an embarrassing loss and stick up for his squad. It's something that draws attention away from the scoreboard and mixes things up a bit. He's finding ways to make himself a noticeable player on the ice to keep his career going as he's not scoring on occasion like he was and is offering less overall.

Again, I don't agree with it, but I think this is the case entirely.

Why does Franzen not feeling the need to fight back make him prepubescent? He scored a hatrick, what does he have to prove? Why is fighting back necessary? Pick on him when he isn't playing well, but his job is to score goals and he did his job.

I totally agree with the comments about it being for Mule's protection, but at the time I thought that maybe the refs were sending a message that they weren't going to let things get out of control.

The game was a blowout and no one could change that. You know Ottawa was frustrated. Oftentimes players let the frustration get the better of them and blow off steam on anyone handy. Clearly this wasn't the case with Neil- he was targeting Mule- but by throwing them both out, the refs were clear that they weren't going to allow anything else and the players had better think twice about starting anything.

Probably some of each. YYMV on the ratio.

Maybe I'm just overthinking the situation but if the refs intentionally gave Franzen a misconduct, when he obviously didn't do anything to receive it, shouldn't that show the world how incompetent NHL refs are? It was a blatant bad call and should be considered a form of cheating (they used a call to remove a player from the ice, abusing their power as refs).

Guest DeGraa55

Maybe I'm just overthinking the situation but if the refs intentionally gave Franzen a misconduct, when he obviously didn't do anything to receive it, shouldn't that show the world how incompetent NHL refs are? It was a blatant bad call and should be considered a form of cheating (they used a call to remove a player from the ice, abusing their power as refs).

That very well may be the case I think he was running his mouth too much after all he literally does it nonstop.

That very well may be the case I think he was running his mouth too much after all he literally does it nonstop.

I agree, but if he was to be called for running his mouth it should have been an unsportsmanlike conduct or even abuse of official penalty rather than a straight up "unassisted" misconduct.

NHL refs suck.

Huh?

He's on pace to put up the numbers he's usually put up in his career. Why has he slipped?