• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
LAWings

Why did Franzen get 10 min game misconduct?

Rate this topic

While you as fans may not like it I can tell you for a fact alot of nhl players like to see their teammates get in scrums like that

Not really sure this matters too much. Lots of people like lots of terrible things, doesn't mean they're a good idea. Like Communism, or Justin Bieber.

Edited by kipwinger

In Neil's defence, Franzen did clearly poke (or spear) Neil in the groin just before the scrum.

Neil is a heavyweight enforcer. Who in their right mind does that to guy like Neil in a blowout game and then not expect anything to happen afterwards? Insanity, especially given his concussion history I have no idea what the in the hell Franzen thought he was doing.

Neil is a meat head, but Franzen needs to STFU if he's not going to do anything more than talk. Nothing drove me more bat-poop crazy when I played than those guys who would constantly run their mouths but as soon as the game got a little rough they'd run away like a little girl. If you don't want to fight, that's fine, you shouldn't have to, but don't run your mouth after the game.

Edited by DickieDunn

Neil is a meat head, but Franzen needs to STFU if he's not going to do anything more than talk. Nothing drove me more bat-poop crazy when I played than those guys who would constantly run their mouths but as soon as the game got a little rough they'd run away like a little girl. If you don't want to fight, that's fine, you shouldn't have to, but don't run your mouth after the game.

This one's for you, Dickie!

@AnsarKhanMLive: Franzen responded to Neil's purse, lipstick and yellow streak comment by saying asking him (Franzen) to fight is like asking Neil to (cont.)

@AnsarKhanMLive: Franzen (cont.) .... To show good hands and hockey sense.

@AnsarKhanMLive: One more from Franzen: Maybe they (NHL) should actually try to protect the players (cont.) ...

@AnsarKhanMLive: "a play like that when he just drops his gloves and punch me in the head, if he doesnt get anything for that I dont know whats going on.

Guest Playmaker

I can't say I'm normally a big fan of yappers, but I kind of like this from Franzen ;) The Mule's got some swagger going on. Just to see him showing some spunk and emotion and throwing out some zingers can't be a bad thing for him or the Wings. Also good that he chose to do this after the season series with the Sens is over.

This one's for you, Dickie!

@AnsarKhanMLive: Franzen responded to Neil's purse, lipstick and yellow streak comment by saying asking him (Franzen) to fight is like asking Neil to (cont.)

@AnsarKhanMLive: Franzen (cont.) .... To show good hands and hockey sense.

@AnsarKhanMLive: One more from Franzen: Maybe they (NHL) should actually try to protect the players (cont.) ...

@AnsarKhanMLive: "a play like that when he just drops his gloves and punch me in the head, if he doesnt get anything for that I dont know whats going on.

Can't believe he said that. That's embarrassing. He wants protecting so he can run his mouth 24/7 and use his stick as a weapon without any retribution? f*** right off. That's exactly why there's fighting in hockey. Franzen keeps digging himself a bigger and bigger hole.

Don't poke a bear with a stick and be angry he's taken a swipe. Those concussions seem to have lost him a bit of common sense.

Is making opponents angry a bad thing? Franzen made Neil angry and do dumb things. So what? The players are on the ice to win games not to try and look cool for fans and follow some vague honor code.

I've also grown very tired of things being said like Franzen having "a purse and lipstick", Samuelsson hurting "his boob", or someone running away like a little girl. Fans often promote hockey of being a "man's game" but yet at the same time it involves all this childish crap like name-calling and fighting. If you ask me that's kindergarten.

Is making opponents angry a bad thing? Franzen made Neil angry and do dumb things. So what? The players are on the ice to win games not to try and look cool for fans and follow some vague honor code.

I've also grown very tired of things being said like Franzen having "a purse and lipstick", Samuelsson hurting "his boob", or someone running away like a little girl. Fans often promote hockey of being a "man's game" but yet at the same time it involves all this childish crap like name-calling and fighting. If you ask me that's kindergarten.

Agreed, it's insulting to women everytime someone is perceived as weak to refer to them in some way as female.

Neal is a tool. But I don't like Franzen slashing players( he did it to one of the Ottawa players late in the game, don't remember who) in the back of the leg and running away either. Franzen shouldn't be fighting especially after all his concussions, but he should cool it with the cheap shots too.

Edited by wings87

Can't believe he said that. That's embarrassing. He wants protecting so he can run his mouth 24/7 and use his stick as a weapon without any retribution? f*** right off. That's exactly why there's fighting in hockey. Franzen keeps digging himself a bigger and bigger hole.

Don't poke a bear with a stick and be angry he's taken a swipe. Those concussions seem to have lost him a bit of common sense.

I think most people would think it is common sense that a punch to the head is a head shot. This is a league where minor contact to the head in a hit is punished with supplemental discipline. I don't believe it is embarrassing to ask why there is not a league response merely because it was a punch rather than a body check.

Neil ripped off the helmet and sucker punched an unwilling fighter. One that has just missed significant time due to a concussion.

I think it's a situation that speaks to the precarious position the league is in with Head hits vs. Fighting, but I believe the line should be when two players are willing fighters.

In Neil's defence, Franzen did clearly poke (or spear) Neil in the groin just before the scrum.

Neil is a heavyweight enforcer. Who in their right mind does that to guy like Neil in a blowout game and then not expect anything to happen afterwards? Insanity, especially given his concussion history I have no idea what the in the hell Franzen thought he was doing.

No he didn't.

He stuck his stick between Neil's legs. He didn't poke him in the groin.

I'm not a fan of Franzen's cheapshots when he won't back them up, but this wasn't one. It was pretty minor.

Neal is a tool. But I don't like Franzen slashing players( he did it to one of the Ottawa players late in the game, don't remember who) in the back of the leg and running away either. Franzen shouldn't be fighting especially after all his concussions, but he should cool it with the cheap shots too.

So people don't like Franzen yapping and slashing people but they're alright with Ottawa's players cross-checking Franzen in the head and taking cheap shots at Datsyuk all game?

I guess apparently you need to be a fighter to stand up to Ottawa's antics in order to be accepted around here, but slashing as payback or chirping is a big no-no.

Edited by dropkickshanahans

It seems like people are trying to make their case for fighting vs. no fighting by using this incident in microcosm. Truth is, Neil (meathead that he is) shouldn't be suspended for a pretty harmless scrum at the end of the play. Likewise, Franzen didn't "use his stick as a weapon" or "poke a bear" and therefore doesn't really need to defend himself.

If we're being honest it probably went something like this. Franzen was having an awesome game and making Ottawa look REALLY bad at home. Neil, being a fan favorite, veteran, and renowned pest didn't like being shown up at home. As such, he decided he was going to give Franzen a little extra attention in the third period. Franzen, not enjoying being buzzed, clipped, and generally roughed up took a couple of whacks at Neil (as almost ALL skill players do when being harassed, see: Kessel, Phil), and Neil did as he's always been known to do and escalated it into a scrum. At which point the refs took control and tossed them both, partially to make sure nothing more serious happened and largely because the game was out of reach and it wouldn't matter.

No harm, no foul. Opponents of fighting (like me) can call Neil a meathead, and proponents can call Franzen soft, yellow, a coward. But the truth is, this incident is really a poor way of making a case for either.

Edited by kipwinger

Guest Playmaker

On the one hand, I like the fact Franzen has stood up and said, I'm not a fighter, never have been, never will be, deal with it. But at the same time, Franzen is a physical player and does his share of chirping. Though he may not want to drop the gloves, he may leave his team mates in the position to have to do it.

So people don't like Franzen yapping and slashing people but they're alright with Ottawa's players cross-checking Franzen in the head and taking cheap shots at Datsyuk all game?

I guess apparently you need to be a fighter to stand up to Ottawa's antics in order to be accepted around here, but slashing as payback or chirping is a big no-no.

I said earlier in the thread that Neal should be suspended. I didn't say I have a problem with the Wings being tough. What I didn't like was when earlier in the third period Franzen slashed Methot( I think that's who it was) from behind and then hightailed it out of there towards the bench. Franzen doesn't have to fight anyone, but don't run away like that it just looks bad.

I said earlier in the thread that Neal should be suspended. I didn't say I have a problem with the Wings being tough. What I didn't like was when earlier in the third period Franzen slashed Methot( I think that's who it was) from behind and then hightailed it out of there towards the bench. Franzen doesn't have to fight anyone, but don't run away like that it just looks bad.

I didn't mind that, the refs obviously weren't calling even the most obvious of penalties against Ottawa, someone had to do something

I didn't mind that, the refs obviously weren't calling even the most obvious of penalties against Ottawa, someone had to do something

In a scrum I don't mind the slashing and cross-checking, but with no one around he just slashed Methot and run away. It just looked like he was scared and looking for the refs to protect him.

I have been enjoying the verbal fued between the two after the fact but it boils down to Franzens concussion problems. How can anyone expect him to drop the gloves after his latest concussion issues?

I wouldn't have expected him to drop the gloves even before the concussions. Franzen is not a fighter and I have no problem with that. All I want is for him to score goals.