Photo
- - - - -

Why did Franzen get 10 min game misconduct?

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#41 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,912 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 06:36 PM

In Neil's defence, Franzen did clearly poke (or spear) Neil in the groin just before the scrum.

Neil is a heavyweight enforcer. Who in their right mind does that to guy like Neil in a blowout game and then not expect anything to happen afterwards? Insanity, especially given his concussion history I have no idea what the in the hell Franzen thought he was doing.

No he didn't.

He stuck his stick between Neil's legs.  He didn't poke him in the groin. 

I'm not a fan of Franzen's cheapshots when he won't back them up, but this wasn't one.  It was pretty minor.

#42 dropkickshanahans

dropkickshanahans

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 06:40 PM

Neal is a tool. But I don't like Franzen slashing players( he did it to one of the Ottawa players late in the game, don't remember who) in the back of the leg and running away either. Franzen shouldn't be fighting especially after all his concussions, but he should cool it with the cheap shots too.

So people don't like Franzen yapping and slashing people but they're alright with Ottawa's players cross-checking Franzen in the head and taking cheap shots at Datsyuk all game?

I guess apparently you need to be a fighter to stand up to Ottawa's antics in order to be accepted around here, but slashing as payback or chirping is a big no-no.

Edited by dropkickshanahans, 01 March 2014 - 06:40 PM.

#43 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,629 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 06:43 PM

It seems like people are trying to make their case for fighting vs. no fighting by using this incident in microcosm.  Truth is, Neil (meathead that he is) shouldn't be suspended for a pretty harmless scrum at the end of the play.  Likewise, Franzen didn't "use his stick as a weapon" or "poke a bear" and therefore doesn't really need to defend himself. 

If we're being honest it probably went something like this.  Franzen was having an awesome game and making Ottawa look REALLY bad at home.  Neil, being a fan favorite, veteran, and renowned pest didn't like being shown up at home.  As such, he decided he was going to give Franzen a little extra attention in the third period.  Franzen, not enjoying being buzzed, clipped, and generally roughed up took a couple of whacks at Neil (as almost ALL skill players do when being harassed, see:  Kessel, Phil), and Neil did as he's always been known to do and escalated it into a scrum.  At which point the refs took control and tossed them both, partially to make sure nothing more serious happened and largely because the game was out of reach and it wouldn't matter.

No harm, no foul.  Opponents of fighting (like me) can call Neil a meathead, and proponents can call Franzen soft, yellow, a coward.  But the truth is, this incident is really a poor way of making a case for either.

Edited by kipwinger, 01 March 2014 - 06:47 PM.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#44 uk_redwing

uk_redwing

#25 Jamie Tardif

• Gold Booster
  • 3,848 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 06:59 PM

It seems like people are trying to make their case for fighting vs. no fighting by using this incident in microcosm.

Only if you look for it.

Posted Image
Turtling is for the weak
Grand Rapids Griffins Fights

#45 dropkickshanahans

dropkickshanahans

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 07:06 PM

Only if you look for it.

Don't pretend it's not the most debated topic on this forum.

#46 Playmaker

Playmaker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,189 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 08:00 PM

On the one hand, I like the fact Franzen has stood up and said, I'm not a fighter, never have been, never will be, deal with it.  But at the same time, Franzen is a physical player and does his share of chirping.  Though he may not want to drop the gloves, he may leave his team mates in the position to have to do it. 

#47 wings87

wings87

Wake Up!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,831 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 08:06 PM

So people don't like Franzen yapping and slashing people but they're alright with Ottawa's players cross-checking Franzen in the head and taking cheap shots at Datsyuk all game?

I guess apparently you need to be a fighter to stand up to Ottawa's antics in order to be accepted around here, but slashing as payback or chirping is a big no-no.

I said earlier in the thread that Neal should be suspended. I didn't say I have a problem with the Wings being tough. What I didn't like was when earlier in the third period Franzen slashed Methot( I think that's who it was) from behind and then hightailed it out of there towards the bench. Franzen doesn't have to fight anyone, but don't run away like that it just looks bad.

"He usually shows up when the game is over and tries to be the hero. Puts his cape on and goes and flies out there." ~ Franzen 

#48 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,529 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 12:01 AM

Don't pretend it's not the most debated topic on this forum.

I think line combinations, and who we should trade for are near, or at the top...IMHO there's always room for more fight debates :crazy:

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#49 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,162 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 10:10 AM

I said earlier in the thread that Neal should be suspended. I didn't say I have a problem with the Wings being tough. What I didn't like was when earlier in the third period Franzen slashed Methot( I think that's who it was) from behind and then hightailed it out of there towards the bench. Franzen doesn't have to fight anyone, but don't run away like that it just looks bad.

I didn't mind that, the refs obviously weren't calling even the most obvious of penalties against Ottawa, someone had to do something

#50 wings87

wings87

Wake Up!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,831 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 05:54 PM

I didn't mind that, the refs obviously weren't calling even the most obvious of penalties against Ottawa, someone had to do something

In a scrum I don't mind the slashing and cross-checking, but with no one around he just slashed Methot and run away. It just looked like he was scared and looking for the refs to protect him. 

"He usually shows up when the game is over and tries to be the hero. Puts his cape on and goes and flies out there." ~ Franzen 

#51 13dangledangle

13dangledangle

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 03:43 PM

I have been enjoying the verbal fued between the two after the fact but it boils down to Franzens concussion problems. How can anyone expect him to drop the gloves after his latest concussion issues?
....Ladies and Gentlemen Jimmy "F%$*ing" Howard.

#52 wings87

wings87

Wake Up!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,831 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 04:10 PM

I have been enjoying the verbal fued between the two after the fact but it boils down to Franzens concussion problems. How can anyone expect him to drop the gloves after his latest concussion issues?

I wouldn't have expected him to drop the gloves even before the concussions. Franzen is not a fighter and I have no problem with that. All I want is for him to score goals.

#53 13dangledangle

13dangledangle

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 08:58 AM

I wouldn't have expected him to drop the gloves even before the concussions. Franzen is not a fighter and I have no problem with that. All I want is for him to score goals.

Agreed. His fights have for the most part embarrassing for him, he's taken a lot of shots to head I've noticed while watching a couple of them...It's best if Mule just puts the puck in the net.
....Ladies and Gentlemen Jimmy "F%$*ing" Howard.

#54 stallion

stallion

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 56 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 10:19 AM

I'd just like to take this moment to recount an (abridged) tale of my first Red Wings game in person.

In the pre-pre-game warmups, the guys were all lined up along the boards and would do the drill where they pass to the guy in the center and he'd shoot it on net. Whatever. No big deal.

Anyway, I'm up against the boards watching everything with rapt amazement. At one point, Homer was directly in front of me and chatting with someone to his left (Hudler?). Anyway, out of the corner of my eye I see this massive red bullet come flying into my field of view and full-speed check the BEJESUS out of Homer right into the glass. I mean he LAID into him hard.

And that bullet was Franzen.

#55 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 11:08 AM

I dont like a lot of the excuse making for Franzen to be honest. I dont mind agitating from him, but at that point in the game theres no point to draw penalties. When youre coming off a concussion especially with a known heavyweight. I know a lot of people love Mule but if you watch that game again Franzen is starting most of the crap. People complain about the head shot with Franzen coming off concussion, but Methot missed time earlier with a leg injury and Franzen felt like swinging his stick anyways. And even though it wasnt much of a groin poke, why does Franzen feel any need to put his stick between a known tough guys legs at that point in a 6-1 game after he got done laughing in his face and face washing him with a ref between them a couple shifts before?

I see people saying this is the wings sticking up for themselves, but I think thats BS. Franzen was the one trying to piss everyone off in a 6-1 game. It worked, but fighting is a part of hockey and if you get other guys pissed off enough they might try to fight you. Theres a reason it was Franzen and not Nyquist and Jurco getting picked on. After the first period Franzen shouldnt have even thrown a hit because of the score and his concussion history, not to mention start getting in scrums/face washing heavyweights, slashing top pair dmen or getting his stick between guys legs. Neil blew up sure, but if the wings were down 6-1 at the Joe and some big 6-3 guy like David Backes did what Franzen did, we would all be wishing someone dropped him

RIP BOB PROBERT #24