• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
BBD10

Question about Mantha

Rate this topic

Got a quick question for you guys that may know:

When will Mantha be moved up to Grand Rapids? Is it next season? Seems like there are a lot of guys helping their NHL teams now but Mantha isnt even with the Griffins yet.

He can't play in GR until his junior season is over. Once that happens, he;ll probably join the team for practices, he may or may not play depending on if GR needs him. The primary reason for him to join GR would be to show him what it takes to be a pro and for the Wings staff to get a first hand look at him.

So is he just not as good as the guys in Grand Rapids yet or a better way to say it, not seasoned enough? He has been tearing it up with his junior team im pretty sure. Just crazy that a guy like Jones or McKinnon are that much farther ahead of him that they would be playing for their respective NHL teams and GR may not even need Mantha.

thanks for the response

I'd say it's not seasoned enough, because he probably is good enough to hang in that league, but not produce like he is right now. They want him to build his confidence and strength before they bring him up. There's just no reason to rush him and that's why he isn't being rushed.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

So is he just not as good as the guys in Grand Rapids yet or a better way to say it, not seasoned enough? He has been tearing it up with his junior team im pretty sure. Just crazy that a guy like Jones or McKinnon are that much farther ahead of him that they would be playing for their respective NHL teams and GR may not even need Mantha.

thanks for the response

He wasn't eligible to play in GR at the start of the season due to the agreements in place between the NHL & CHL. Players drafted from a CHL team aren't eligible to play their first professional minor league game until the year in which they turn 20 or have completed 4 years in the major juniors. So unless Mantha was going to make the big club, he was guaranteed to spend this season in the Q. He'll be in GR as soon as his season in the Q is over & I think he's also a lock to be on next season's Griff's roster though I'm sure the Val-d'Or will try to convince Kenny to let them keep him for another season.

EDIT: Mantha turns 20 on Sept 16 this year

Edited by ogreslayer

Thanks guys... Any moves before next weds? On one hand I want holland to try and make a move or two but not if it includes Tartar, Nyquist, Jurco or Mantha. Also dont really want to lose our 1st round pick. Looks like Quincey could be on the block. Any chance we try and grab another 1st rounder for Quincey and another roster player or prospect?

Thanks guys... Any moves before next weds? On one hand I want holland to try and make a move or two but not if it includes Tartar, Nyquist, Jurco or Mantha. Also dont really want to lose our 1st round pick. Looks like Quincey could be on the block. Any chance we try and grab another 1st rounder for Quincey and another roster player or prospect?

Although we traded for Quincey for a first rounder, I dont see us getting one in return for him. I doubt were able to move him at all really.

Kesler has been tossed around but I dont think its gonna happen, nor do I really want us to. We have enough forwards.

The ticket (radio station in detroit) has been throwing Andy Mcdonalds name around for what thats worth (usually nothing). I would be happy with that or a similar move for a top 4 D.

I liken Mantha to Valeri Nichuskin. He was drafted at #10 when Mantha went at #20. When you look at Nichuskin's stats before he came to the show it doesn't really reveal that he would be as good as he has been for Dallas. I know the Wings like to have their prospects learn how to be a pro and such, but every now and then you get a player that you should just through in and let play. Dallas has done that with Valeri and his 29 points in 56 games with a +17 to boot has repayed their faith they had in him. I feel that we have a talent in Mantha that we should do the same with him next year.

I liken Mantha to Valeri Nichuskin. He was drafted at #10 when Mantha went at #20. When you look at Nichuskin's stats before he came to the show it doesn't really reveal that he would be as good as he has been for Dallas. I know the Wings like to have their prospects learn how to be a pro and such, but every now and then you get a player that you should just through in and let play. Dallas has done that with Valeri and his 29 points in 56 games with a +17 to boot has repayed their faith they had in him. I feel that we have a talent in Mantha that we should do the same with him next year.

They gave him a really good look this last training camp. I'm sure they'll do the same before next season, but unless he blows everyone out of the water he'll be in GR. With Jurco and Sheahan both looking like locks for next year's roster there won't be much room to throw in Mantha, and I doubt he's ready anyway. Let's not forget the jump to the AHL can be plenty difficult for many players.

BB, welcome to the fun! Mantha will be in GR when his season ends. It has nothing to do with his talent. It is all about agreements between the NHL and CHL. Now when will he be ready to play in Detroit? None of us know. he could earn a spot in training camp next fall. Most likely he will be in GR to start the season. After that to many variables to know. Injuries could play a factor. production by other young players that will be in Detroit. But if mantha comes in and say scores 20 goals in his first 30 games, he could force his way up. he needs to develop his strength for the NHL. Currently he is listed as 6-5/205 by his Junior team. That is very thin. he does need to gain another 20 pounds of muscle-same with Jurco. 10-15 pounds for him would be awesome. So time will tell.

The great thing about Mantha is that he knows his weaknesses and understand he has to learn and get better. Kids with his skill and his credentials usually aren't like that. The kid has the right attitude, and no chance the Wings rush him to the main roster. He will be with the big club when he is ready.

Lets remember that while Mantha is is tearing it up right now hes also playing against boys. Lets see how he does against men in the AHL next season before imagining him on the Wings. He is an exciting prospect though.

It’s true. He really is. Anyone that’s seen a QMJHL game knows this.

It’s also a crapshoot, trying to project how a players Q stats might project to the NHL, heck, even the AHL. Look at Jurco vs Nestrasil vs Frk in the Q. They all had similar numbers. Jurco has been, and most likely will be, the best pro.

But Mantha, who has numbers that are eclipsing those guys, is a can’t miss prospect IMO. Provided he continues to work on his defensive game.

It’s also a crapshoot, trying to project how a players Q stats might project to the NHL, heck, even the AHL.

It's not just a crapshoot, it's literally impossible. Many players have put up crazy scoring totals in the Quebec League, even at young ages and haven't done a thing in the NHL.

It's not just a crapshoot, it's literally impossible. Many players have put up crazy scoring totals in the Quebec League, even at young ages and haven't done a thing in the NHL.

True, Kirk Maltby was a 50 goal scorer in juniors after all.

Patrice Lefebvre, Patrick Emond and Normand Dupont.

Household names, right?

They are 3 of the top 4 all-time Quebec League points leaders.

i saw Lefebvre play here in the UK back in the 90's the guy was awesome. Had a great set of hands great wheels but he was about 5'6" so i guess he wasup against. But he did something that not alot of players have done, he played in the NHL after playing in the British league.

i saw Lefebvre play here in the UK back in the 90's the guy was awesome. Had a great set of hands great wheels but he was about 5'6" so i guess he wasup against. But he did something that not alot of players have done, he played in the NHL after playing in the British league.

Only 3 games in the NHL though.

Absolutely crazy stat:

He scored 165 points in 36 games in the BHL in 92/93 - 4.58 ppg. The crazy part of the stat though, is that he didn't lead his team in scoring (or "ppg" if you were thinking he missed a ton of time....leading scorer also played 36 games)