• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
BBD10

Question about Mantha

Rate this topic

Didn't Crosby play in the Q?

I ton of NHLers did, not sure the context of the question though? Is it in reference to Lefebvre being amoung the all-time point leaders? There are a couple issues there:

1 - Back in the 80s and 90s (similar to NHL), scoring was significantly higher in the Q (astronomical actually).

2 - The all-time leading scorers in juniors are not likely to be amoung the better players in the game as the best players don't last in the league very long (e.g. Crosby played his last game in juniors at the age of 17). You see guys putting up huge numbers at the age of 19 and 20, but that is a huge difference when you try to compare to guys at 16, 17 and 18.

Crosby was a 50 goal scorer back then as well..can I compare Mantha to him instead of a guy that scored 50 1 time? =)

I know you are joking, but as others have pointed out, you really can't or shouldn't compare junior stats. If you want to compare his stats to Crosby's stats, the best you can do is as follows:

- Crosby, at 17, scored 66 goals (168pts) in 62 games in the Q

- Mantha, at 17, scored 22 goals (51pts) in 63 games in the Q

Even then, you really shouldn't make that comparison since guys develop at different times (so really hard when you are talking about guys in their teens). Also, when Mantha was 17, overall league scoring was higher as well (teams scored an average of 3.58 gpg compared to 3.18 when Crosby was 17.

Scouts are decent at picking out guys though...this is why you see very high scoring players not necessarily get picked very high and guys that don't score much that do.

im still saying that by xmas Mantha will be on the roster, if we can get that help on the blueline and everyone stays fit next year we could have a very strong line up.

I mean Zetterberg Datsyuk Legwand and Weiss as the 4 centers looks unmatchable by any side.

Thanks for digging that up.

Normally I'm on Holland's side and prefer kids to log big minutes in every situation in lesser leagues than have them working 5 minutes/night on the fourth line, but at Mantha's level I'm not sure that a deep playoff run will do him much good in a league he has clearly already mastered. In this case I think I'd rather him practicing as a black ace with the Wings (and just maybe getting 4 min a night on the fourth line) than making a deep playoff run in the Q. He needs to develop alongside men, now.

Good news! It's a start at least.

tumblr_n28lgg0Ckw1rgjwupo1_500.png

Maybe it's just me but I would assume that means up to Detroit's "system" where he will start his contract and professional career. Aka. Grand Rapids. Could very well be wrong though.

Wouldn't be surprised at all to see him as a black ace though...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/capitals-insider/wp/2013/10/26/nhl-rookies-with-entry-level-contracts-can-pose-dilemma/

An NHL team gets just 10 games before it must make a decision on players in the lineup who still have major junior eligibility. If a player suits up for 10 or more games, one year of his three-year entry-level contract is burned. If he plays in 40 or more contests, the season accrues and gets him to unrestricted free agency that much sooner.

If they plan on having Mantha up full-time next season I think we see some trades happen. We would have an overloaded forward group as we stand now. Might be time to pull the trigger on a dman trade with some other assets (Abby/Helm+picks, prospects) if he is ready to take a spot in the big club.

C's - Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Weiss, Legwand?, Helm, Sheahan, Andersson, (Glendening?)

W's - Franzen, Alfie?, Tatar, Nyquist, Abby, Miller, (Jurco?), (Mantha?), (Ferraro/Callahan?)

Lots of goodies in the forwards group. I think Holland wants to assess Mantha's readiness before moving some players for a Dman in the offseason.

Edit: Pulkkinen is also pushing for a spot soon too. So much talent with so few roster spots.

Edited by dirtydangles

If they plan on having Mantha up full-time next season I think we see some trades happen. We would have an overloaded forward group as we stand now. Might be time to pull the trigger on a dman trade with some other assets (Abby/Helm+picks, prospects) if he is ready to take a spot in the big club.

C's - Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Weiss, Legwand?, Helm, Sheahan, Andersson, (Glendening?)

W's - Franzen, Alfie?, Tatar, Nyquist, Abby, Miller, (Jurco?), (Mantha?), (Ferraro/Callahan?)

Lots of goodies in the forwards group. I think Holland wants to assess Mantha's readiness before moving some players for a Dman in the offseason.

Edit: Pulkkinen is also pushing for a spot soon too. So much talent with so few roster spots.

My guess is they'll see what Mantha can do in the NHL before they make any trades

If he is coming up to the wings, it will be to watch games. He won't be playing in them. He has a rather large learning curve ahead of him. I would rather see them take their time rather than try to rush him and destroy his confidence.

If he is coming up to the wings, it will be to watch games. He won't be playing in them. He has a rather large learning curve ahead of him. I would rather see them take their time rather than try to rush him and destroy his confidence.

Maybe he can play in the NHL ? We won't know if we don't play him.